Chapter 30

She's My Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She couldn’t sleep even if she wanted to. Sandie had her eyes closed trying to grasp the god of sleep but her brain was a mess that getting any is impossible. She finally gave up as she opened her eyes and made a face at the sight of GD on his hospital bed. The moron was able to fall asleep even after everything. Never mind the fact that he’s probably drowning in sedatives right now.

 

Sandie snorted at how irrational she is becoming. She exhaled slowly as she watched GD sleeping though his face still looked troubled. Sandie raised her brows at that thought. No, that’s how GD always look like. She stood up off the couch and quietly left the room leaving GD to his slumber party that eludes her. The Dragons’ men were stationed outside of GD’s room and she barely glanced at them as she walked towards her sister’s to see what her condition is now. Four of her father’s men were guarding the door and greeted her with a nod. Sandie paused, her hand on the knob but she can’t turn it. She’s afraid to see Darie. Afraid to see her mom. Her dad. She’s afraid to see the anguish mirroring her own. She let her hand drop on her side, her eyes just fixed on the door before turning back, changing her mind.

 

Maybe she should’ve just stayed in GD’s room. She started to walk back towards where GD is currently holed at but stopped short as a thought crossed her mind. It was already at the corner of her consciousness that she just kept ignoring but maybe it is the right time now.

 

She turned to the left and walked the aisle towards where she knew Jang Hyun Seung was in. There were five Tigers standing guard by the door and they blocked her way when she was about to get inside.

 

 “Miss,” one of the tigers addressed her with a slight shake of his head.

 

“I’ll be fine,” Sandie told him firmly, looking at him straight in the eye. The man glanced at the other man on his right whom Sandie recognized as the man who had brought them to the hospital. He studied Sandie’s determined face before giving a small nod.

 

She didn’t know what she will find or what she will do or say to Jang Hyun Seung after everything that has happened. After everything he had done.

 

She had been ridden with worry and guilt over Darie that she didn’t have time to think about Jang Hyun Seung. She tightened her jaw as she stood by the door letting the door close behind her as she saw Jang Hyun Seung sitting on the bed, his shoulder bandaged and his arm in a sling.  Sandie slowly strode over over to him and noticed that he was just looking at a number of papers, folders, and some pictures spread out over his blanket. He was only staring at them without moving that Sandie was sure he didn’t even noticed her entering.

 

He finally lifted his head from the files he had and looked at her. There was no surprise there. In fact, he looked like he had been expecting her. They watched in other in silence before Hyun Seung lowered his gaze down to look at the picture laid down on his lap.

 

Sandie’s eyes went to the files spread out before him and instantly know  what it is. This is what her dad had told her. This is what her dad had kept from Hyun Seung and the rest of the Wolf clan. Sandie guessed his dad already decided to let HyunSeung know about the cause of his father’s death. Yes, it was caused by the leader of the Dragons. But it wasn’t murder. It was in defense.

 

Hyun Seung’s father had been plotting with the Chinese mob to bring down the Society in exchange of giving Korea to him. He had gotten so hungry for power and money that he also drove his clan into doing the same. Some were innocent but most of them weren’t. They were blinded by their ambition to rule. They were blinded by the promises Jang fed them. I never thought he would gotten that far. He was my friend, he discussed his dreams with me and… I just didn’t listen that there is already a brewing plan underneath all that. When I found out it was already too late.

 

Kwon had some suspicion and he gathered enough evidence to confront Jang with some of the Dragons and Tigers present… but it all had gone haywire. I didn’t realize how it’s happening… it became a war on its own. Gun fires, blood, death….

 

There were some innocent Wolves who didn’t know what they were fighting for… only knowing they are fighting for their clan. We didn’t have any choice. It’s them… or us. In the end, they were overpowered and yet Jang refused to surrender even with all the men he lost. All the innocent men who died believing him.

 

I thought I can convince him that there’s still a chance for the Wolves but he was too far gone with his ambition that he refused to acknowledge that he’s already defeated. But Kwon shot him. A bullet to the heart. And that’s what the Wolves witnessed. Their leader getting murdered in cold blood. But they didn’t see. Jang had a knife and he tried to stab me with it but Kwon was faster.

 

The last thing Jang told me was not to let his son know. Hyun Seung was still a kid. An innocent kid but he will be killed by some other organization that Jang had crossed and I thought I could protect him by sending him away with the rest of the remaining wolves. Somewhere he could start a normal life. Away from the blood his father had left for him and I’m not definite I can protect him from anyone in the Society.

 

Sandie could remember how she fought for his father to let Hyun Seung stay when she found out and his father is left with no choice. Neither does GD’s dad. They kept the cause of Jang’s death a secret. They never explained to the Wolves. The remaining innocent Wolves. Even his betrayal to the Society. The only one who knows were the clan leaders. The elder even said it’s best kept secret as any discord within the Society can become the beginning of their end. That it’s better for Jang’s son to think his father had died a noble death.

 

But it only poisoned Hyun Seung.

 

I know Hyun Seung wanted to avenge his father. We know he blames Kwon. He blames the society but I never thought he would get to this point. I saw you two growing up and you both treated each other like brother and sister. I thought time could heal him. But I guess I was wrong.

 

His father looked anguished as he told her that, no doubt blaming himself for how Hyun Seung had turned out. In a way, he also treated him as his son. Sandie knew his dad was wrong to keep the circumstances of the Wolves leader’s death but she can also understand how he wants Hyun Seung to think his father stayed loyal at the organization he was brought in.

 

Looking at the files and pictures spread out before him, her dad finally told Hyun Seung the truth and provided all th evidence the Dragons had gathered before the confrontation. Sandie looked at his face but it is devoid of any emotion except for that crease between his forehead as he stared at the picture of his father in his hand.

 

She felt sorry for him.

 

But he let hate overpower him and that hate destroyed him. “They manipulated you,” Sandie told him, her quiet voice sounded loud inside the hospital room. “And you know it but you still let them.”

 

He didn’t give any reaction save from the subtle tightening of his jaw. Sandie doesn’t want to blame him. He’s her bestfriend. The one she grew up with and one she always protected. In a way, if it happened to her, she would’ve harbor all hate at the thought that her dad died at the hands of a ruthless man and will plan how to get back at the people who killed her father. She would probably be the same.

 

But it has always been so difficult to put yourself in other people’s shoes. Especially if you were on the aggravated end. Where your family’s life had been on the line. Yes, it’s more than difficult. It’s impossible to empathize.

 

“I’m not going to apologize,” Hyun Seung’s monotonous voice said quietly.

 

“I don’t expect you to,” Sandie told him. “Because I know you know your apology will never be enough.”

 

He clenched his jaw but didn’t  say anything more. Sandie felt she already said what she came here to say. She didn’t know what Hyun Seung’s fate is.  He can no longer stay in the Society and there are probably men who are hunting him now because he knows  too much information of that organization that tried to bring down the Society. She doesn’t even think the members of the Society would be welcoming him after everything. She turned to leave but stopped when Hyun Seung asked softly, “Is she okay?”

 

Sandie knew who he was asking about and she answered him. “You’d better pray for her to be.” Then left without giving him another glance.

 

Hyun Seung watched as the door closed leaving him in silence. He grip tightened, crumpling the photo of his dad as  he let the tears fall from his eyes from pain, regret and loss.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5 MONTHS LATER

 

 

 

Sandie massaged the muscles on her shoulders as she sat down on the lounge to take a little bit of rest from an intensive training with the Society’s combat skills trainer. If she had thought her martial arts skills are already in excellent standing, she was sent here for a very rude awakening. Man, that trainer is more than tough. It felt like he is already trying to kill her as he threw her around the gym without a moment’s mercy. The people that comprises the higher ups of the Society are really no joke.

 

The only mercy he probably ever shown her was giving her an hour break. Which is what she is taking right now. She took a big gulp of her water as she pulled her phone and dialled Darie’s name.

 

“What?” Her grumpy face appeared on the screen as she accepted  Sandie’s video call.

 

Sandie grinned. “Just checking in if you are suffering as much as I am.”

 

Darie answered with a big scowl. “Oh shut up.”

 

Sandie chuckled at that affirmation. “That’s good to know.”

 

If Sandie was in an intensive training in the Society, then Darie was in an intensive therapy at home with their mom.

 

“Miss Darie,” someone from the background called.

 

“Just a minute,” Darie answered back then rolled her eyes before telling Sandie. “I’m gong to stand up and I need both of my hands.”

 

“I’m glad to see you’re able to stand up on your own now,” Sandie said.

 

“Yeah well you would be forced to if people around kept on letting you fall flat on your face literally.”

 

Sandie just let out a wry smile. She really couldn’t get used to Darie’s cranky and impatient attitude. She had always been the calm one between the two of them but after that shooting accident five months ago, she became so crabby and sarcastic that Sandie came to the point to check if they really switched back into their own lives after pretending to be each other but figured that it might probably be her sister’s way of coping with immense stress and depression.

 

When Darie’s condition stabilized and improved when she was in the hospital, her dad told her mom t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter