Smile more, Princess

Blue Sky Black Sky
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

WARNING: DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE UNCOMFORTABLE ABOUT SELF-HARM etc. (really brief only though) but please read the A/n at the end!

 

 

“Good morning my Sun! Smile more, Princess! -your moon”

Almost routinely, she grabbed the purple post-it pasted on her locker door, and re-pasted it in her special notebook, where she already had 27 post-its, varying from all the colours of the rainbow, a silly grin plastered on her face. It has been exactly 4 weeks since she had started receiving those notes from radish knows who.

 

~


5 weeks ago,

“Yongsun unnie! There is something pasted on your locker!” Her best friend, Wheein said. Hearing that, the said girl semi-ran to her locker, and indeed, pasted on the boring grey locker door was a bright red post-it. On it the words, “You look prettier when you smile! Smile more! -someone admiring you from afar.” “OHHHHHHH LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE GOT HERSELF AN ADMIRER!” Wheein shouted. “Yah! You should just tell the whole world while you are at it, you human microphone! Be quiet!” Solar whispered while hiding her face behind her wavy brown hair, face as red as a tomato. She grabbed Wheein’s wrist, pulling her into the nearest empty room she could find, which turned out to be the creepy janitor’s stinky closet. “Oh wow great, out of all the places you had to pick this?!” Wheein said, cringing from the pungent smell of detergents and dirty mop water. “Well, I’m sorry. If a certain someone didn’t decide to announce to the whole damn school that I got ONE post-it, ONE, then we wouldn’t be in this situation now, would we?” Yongsun sarcastically replied back. Yongsun prided herself in being able to speak three languages fluently: Korean, Japanese and Sarcasm. And yes, as long as Yongsun is around, no matter what anyone says, Sarcasm is a legitimate language. Wheein flinched, admitting that it was her fault. “Okay then, tell me why you pulled me in here so that we can get out of here faster,” not being able to stand the smell any longer. “Well, who do you think this is? Do you know anyone with this handwriting? And this person has to know me quite well, I mean even you didn’t know that I fought with my mum this morning again and was in a foul mood until now,” Yongsun said while showing her the note. Wheein’s forehead creased as she tried to analyze the handwriting, but frowned when she could not think of a match. Yongsun was shocked, her best friend was a social butterfly, able to memorise most of the students’ and teachers’ names in this school, and having a photographic memory helped her to memorise most of their handwriting too. “Wow, either this person is a stalker that I should stay away from,” she shivered at that thought, “or a really shy girl that has never seen you before.” Wheein leaped up and headed towards the door, but not before shouting, “Unnie! Class in starting in 2 minutes! And don’t worry! I will find that person by today! I promise you!” Yongsun laughed at her antics, before registering what Wheein said and gathering her things before rushing out of the room and sprinting to her next class. In the room beside the janitor’s closet, a girl was laughing softly by herself, “Aish this Yeba…. I live right next to you, I hear everything. But… you never noticed me… and your mom, she hurts you. Why don’t you remember me?” with a lone tear running down her face. Throughout the course of the day, Yongsun kept looking at the post-it, which was safely inside one of the empty notebooks she always carried around, and smiled to herself while thinking of the person who gave it to her. What had started out as one her normal, bad days turned out to be the better ones.

As expected, promises are meant to be broken, as Wheein walked out of school hanging her head down with Yongsun, apologising repeatedly. “I swear! That girl is a ghost! I went around to everyone in class and compared their handwriting, but none of them matched! No, not only everyone in class, even during lunch I went around!” “Excuses, excuses. It’s okay Wheein, you trying, keyword trying, to explain yourself just makes yourself look worse.”Yongsun deadpanned. “Then why am I the only person looking!” Wheein said, pouting. “Wheein-ah. If you did not realise, your unnie here is not exactly a very social person… I mean, she only knows half of the people in her homeroom class in the Year 3 level, and us 2 in the year 1 level, remember how she has no friends whatsoever in the Year 2 level?” said a girl who suddenly appeared beside them. “HYEJIN-AH!! GET THIS IDIOT AWAY FROM ME!” Yongsun shouted, excited to to see her savior from this situation. Wheein sighed softly, once again realising how anti-social, no shy, her unnie was. Hyejin was another best friend Yongsun had. After moving to the States when she was 6, they met there and became really close friends, so when they came back to Korea 1 year ago, their parents had made a request for them to be in the same school. It might have been impossible for most people, seeing how Wheein and Hyejin had a 4 year age difference from Yongsun, but because they were child geniuses, they managed to skip 2 grades, ending up as the youngest in the High school that they are in, while Solar was in the Year 3, the final year for High school. (So to make it clear, Wheein and Hyejin are Year 1s, while Yongsun is a Year 3.) Yongsun escaped from the 2 girls, running to catch her bus at the bus stop outside of school while shouting goodbye to the younger girls, blocking out whatever they were shouting. She stepped into the cool, air-conditioned bus, and plopped into an empty seat, trying to catch her breath (she hates running).

She took out the notebook, after 10 minutes of just staring outside the window and opened it to the page the post-it was on. “Who are you?” she thought to herself, curious of the person who left her a note.

20 minutes later,

She stood outside of her apartment’s door, not really wanting to go in. The fights with her mum were becoming more and more often and she did not want to ruin what turned out to be such a nice day. Right next door, a girl was secretly peeking through her slightly opened door and looking at her, almost stalkerish. The girl had a strong urge to just walk out the door and introduce herself to Solar saying, “the girl that left that note for you? Yeah that was me. I know that you and your mom have been fighting. Would you like to stay with me first?” or “Remember me? I’m your childhood friend whom you forgot once you moved to the States and ever since I saw you back in Korea, I might have developed a huge crush on you.” She saw Solar helpless, torn between entering the house and risking another fight and just leaving altogether and only closed the door once Solar took a big breath and stepped into her house.

 

The next day,

“Unnie! This time the post-it is orange!” Shouted the puppy once she saw the older girl in school the next day. Solar tilted her head to one side, confused as to what the puppy was saying, a tired expression on her face. The fight yesterday was the worst one since she had come back to Korea, and it was about the usual. Solar’s mom used to be a very carefree mother, letting her child have her own freedom whenever she needs, but something made her change 13 years ago, something big, that made them move all the way to America. Since then, Solar had never seen her dad. Since moving to the States, her mom grew stricter on her, making sure that she got no less than a B on her report card, and that she became Class president every year in school. The amount of stress put on her in America was over the top, and she only had Wheein and Hyejin to thank for helping her pull through those years. She was sure that without them, the horrible thoughts of ending her life would have taken place and that there would not be a Yongsun of today. Things became weird again when out of the blue, her mom had told her that they would be moving back to Korea at the end of last year. She was totally surprised, not expecting them to move back at all and could not bear the thoughts of leaving the friends who literally saved her life time and again, so they, having gotten permission from their super understanding parents, decided to move to Korea with her, living together to save a little money. (if you want to know why they are not fluent in English, they stayed in a place in America that had many Koreans around, and they attended an international school, of which the majority were Koreans so they hardly spoke English) So anyway, Solar barely slept a wink, and could not function normally in school that day, so she had completely forgotten about the post-it. Wheein looked at her, expecting a big reaction, but was disappointed to see only confusion on the girl’s face. Wheein dragged Solar all the way to her locker, where indeed, a neon orange post-it was pasted and this time it said, “Are you okay? You looked really out of it today. Smile more, princess. -your admirer (btw, Please trust me! I can promise you I am not a stalker! ^^)” A smile instantly appeared on the receiver’s face, and her cheeks held a faint blush after reading the term of endearment used in the note. “Princess? That sounds familiar…”

 

~

 

For the rest of the week, the notes continued to come, in the order of the rainbow colours, yellow, green, blue, indigo and purple. They all ended with the words, “smile more, Princess” and she felt a strange feeling in her stomach whenever she read those words. This continued on for the next 3 weeks, but on the 4th week, the notes were different. “From today onwards, I will reveal one thing about myself. Smile more, Princess. -Year 2 student” was written on the red note on Monday of the 4th week. And until now, she had gotten a total of 7 clues, “Year 2”, “19yo”, “girl”, “light brown hair”, “dance club”, “same building” and today’s hint, “your moon”. Solar had tried looking for the girl, with the help of her friends, but the clues were always vague and led them to many people. Not to mention, all the dance club girls had their hair dyed light brown for their upcoming performance, and majority of the members were in Year 2 and 19 years old. She did not know what did ‘same building’ and ‘your moon’ mean so they did not really help her. Nevertheless, the notes had always made her smile and she was happy to have someone looking over her in school apart from Wheein and Hwasa.

~

5th week, Wednesday.

“Unnie, there is no post-it today…” Wheein said to Yongsun, looking at her reaction. “Huh? But there was one yesterday? Are you sure it did not drop? Is it not on the floor?” Yongsun asked, slightly panicked. She had gotten so used to those

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter