Chapter 4 (cont.)

THE SHEIK AND THE VIXEN

 Mostly, she knew short, Napoleonic imbeciles, middle-aged mechanics and Einstien-like computer whizzes whose appeal ran in negative numbers. On the basis of that, she almost had a right to sit here and take a very good look at a splendid built, exotic man whose appeal throbbed like a secondary pulse beneath his skin. The trouble was, what she saw appealed to her a great deal. Oh, yes, it did.

He could also fly jets.

They had that much in common alone.

Then, of course, because her mother was going to have to know every single detail Sora could possibly remember, she had to note the smooth fit of his handmade, leather shoes, the lingering hint of an exotic, private-label after-shave, the tapered length of his fingers and the immaculate, blunt cut of his nails. After all, it wasn’t every day one had a chance to meet a real live sheik… the equivalent of a prince.

Leteuk found her silent evaluation moderately curious. He had been prepared for babbling histrionics. Where were her fears? Why ha dshe deliberately flaunted her superb body twice before his eyes and now made every effort to obscure her nipped waist, full s and achingly wonderful long legs? And hair… she ruined it, by tying it in a gross knot severely pulled back from her face. What game did she play?

“Well?” Sora said abruptly, bringing her gaze to his wide, sculpted mouth. “You did say you wanted to talk. Do you have news?”

“News. You want to know the news?”

“Yes, of course. What has happened in Kuwait? Was it a terrorist attacked? Some wild faction run rampant, a revolution or a coup attempt?”

“The truth is much more abhorrent,” Leeteuk replied. “Kuwait was taken over by hostile neighboor with a very large army.”

Sora frowned. “The whole country? Is my father safe?”

“No one in Kuwait is safe at the moment, Miss Kang. The airport was one of the first targets of the Iraqis. And yes, the whole country has been taken. The Iraqi army holds all three borders. Other than that, I have no more specific information to give you. No one does.”

What he said couldn’t been more stunning. Sora stared at him. She processed his words, but was unable to believe it was the truth. “That’s impossible, isn’t it?”

“You will find no argument from me tha is the worst news I or any of my countrymen have ever heard in our live. But as to its being impossible, then, Miss Kang, the impossible has been done. It is done, as fair accompli. An act of aggression that is denounced by every known political entity, but impossible, no”

“Why?”
“The reason for the invasion is unclear, but I am positive it comes down to the oil fields and the revenues they produce. Are not all acts of was based on greed and wealth?”

“I wouldn’t know.” Sora swallowed the dryness in . “How about my father? Where is he? Was he able to refuel the Vixen and fly out of the country? Is he here in Saudi Arabia looking for me?”

“At this precise moment, I do not know where you father is specifically. To the best of my knowledge, he was unable to leave the airport.”

“Oh, God!” Sora pressed her fingers on her forehead, trying to think. “I never should have gone to sleep.” I have to get a phone immediately, call home and find what my company wants me to do. If Appa is still in Kuwait, I can fly there and bring him home. Can you take me to the nearest international telephone?”

“No, Miss Kang I regret that I cannot. My time here is very limited. Currently, I must hold myself at the disposal of the emir Kuwait for military business. You understand that we are in a state of war?”

“Well, yes, I understand that,” Sora agreed. But I must get to a phone and find out if my father is safe?

“Your father is as safe as any man in Kuwait.”

“What if he’s been held hostage by some fanatical group?”

“All person in Kuwait are being detained by the Iraqi military. There has been no specific clarification of the Status of the American citizens inside the country.”

“What does that mean?”

The sheik’s answer were delayed by the arrival of Ali with the coffee. Leeteuk serve her a cup, saying warmly, “You will find our coffee is stronger than American brews.”

Sora sampled the aroma first. It was strong, promising to give her system the kick start it needed. He spicy cardamom flavour was a new experience. Settling grounds wasn’t. She sipped the coffee gratefully, realizing how important this addiction was to her ability to think clearly and feel alert. It was strong enough that she didn’t need her usual three cups to get her going. “That is much better,” she said finally.

The sheik inclined his head, acknowledging the sigh of relief in her words. She was a very pretty woman, despite her clothes and her unflattering hairstyle. He was content to watch her guarded movements, to study her. He had no clue on her age.

“It is a very good coffee.” She sat back, cup and saucer in hand and focused her eyes upon the man opposite her. “Now, let’s get down to specifics. I will need to return to my plane immediately. I assume you can make arrangements for me. I do not have a visa for Saudi Arabia, but I am certain the State Department and your government will understand how I came to be here.”

“They will understand what I explain to them, yes. However, you cannot leave my household.”

Leeteuk’s last statement fell like a bombshell in the quiet room. Sora’s jaw tightened. “Am I under arrest?”

“These are not the quarters of a person held under arrest Miss Kang, I assure you.”

“That assures me of nothing, Sheik Leeteuk Park Haji Haaris. You are implying are implying arrest and if not that, detention.”

“It is for your own safety.”

“Bull!” Sora snapped. “Call it whatever you want, you’re threatening to hold me hostage.”

“I repeat, these are not the quarters of a hostage or a person under arrest. Do not insult me.”