Chapter 2 (cont.)

THE SHEIK AND THE VIXEN

An alarm went off on Sora’s head. She saw the flash of color seep into his skin and the flare of his nostrils as if he detected the scent of her perfume. How whole body reacted to his unexpected assessment. His territorial inspection of her attributes in such a frank and personal manner made her quiver with hard to contain rage. Never having upstage the Vixen in her professional life, Sora stepped back.

Before his eyes returned to her face, her right arm moved, delivering a resounding slap to his shadowed cheek.

“Swine!” Her hand stung, but never had a blow been more deserved.  “You could have wrecked my plane! Killed both of us attempting a tandem landing!”

He caught her wrist and jerk her to a stop between them.

“I may yet to take pleasure,” he said in English. He summoned an officer emerging from the passenger compartment of the Vixen. There followed a very brief and blunt spate of Arabic, her wrist crushingly ignored for the duration of the exchange. The dialogue ended and his attention returned to Sora in full force. The pressure on her wrist intensified. “Where is Sheik Haj Haaris?” he asked.

The blister of the words ran together. Not Hag-Harry, the way Sora’s father drawled in his lazy Korean way. It took Sora precious seconds to decode the pilot’s question. She retorted, “How the hell should I know?”

Vehemently, the man blasted her with more words, hot, scalding. His temper seem to burn with the heat of the desert itself. A veritable litany of scorching Arabic preceded his return to English. “Do not play games with me, woman. I won’t be baited, where my father’s life is concerned. Where are the passengers?”

“Passengers? I have no passengers.”

Sora gulped then, sensing an overwhelming danger as she surrendered her vital papers to the aide flanking the pilot.

Just then another jet took off with a burst of deafening sound. A tangled moment passed, where no voices could be discerned by anyone on the ground as the Kuwaiti pilot shouted at her. Veins stood out on his neck and throbbed on his forehead.

“You took off from Kuwait after the shelling started. Where is Sheik Wali Haaris?” Did you leave him stranded at Al Kuwaiti International?”

Sora mustered an answer through clenched teeth. “If you expect an answers, you better cease manhandling me.”

His fine aquiline nose rose another inceo if more above hers. The vise on her hand intensified. “You will answer. How did you get possession of my father’s plane” Did you seduce one of my brothers into giving it to you?”

Her selfcontrol snapped. “What?” Sora shouted. She yanked on her arm to remove it from his grip. Listen up Omar, I happen to be the designer of this plane. It hasn’t been to the Sheik yet. I was on my way to Kuwaiti to do just that. My father just landed on Kuwaiti ground when suddenly bombs were falling everywhere. I couldn’t land. The control tower and the terminal blew up in my face as I approach the runway. As things stands this very minute, the Vixen is still mine because it belongs to my company. As for the seducing of your brothers, shall I tell you exactly where the lot of you can deport yourselves?”

“What is your name?”

 “Sora Kang. What is yours?”

The young lieutenant flipped through the scant papers that Sora carried on her small briefcase-passport, wallet, credit card and manifest. Only two other documents were part of her package, the ownership of the Vixen 2016-2 and the export release package from the Feds rubber-stamping the Kang Industries sale.

“The woman’s paper are in order, General. There is no Kuwaiti stamp entered on her passport. Perhaps she has not landed yet.”

“That’s what I just told you.”

“Take her out of my site!” the pilot commanded. “See that she is confined.”

“Now just wait a minute here!” Sora yanked on the grip she had yet to break. “You’re not going to imprison me! I am an American citizen, you barbarian!”

“You are a woman Ms. Kang,” he countered. “I have no time to devote to your intimate challenge. There is a military business afoot and my country needs my services. You and your pretty little plane will be keep until my return. I assure you I will look forward to our personal combat.”

“Think so?” Sora wrenched her wrist out of his hands at last.

The pilot’s eyes flickered over her once again and as she spun away from him. Seeng the long swatch of silky dark hair that switched angrily across her hips, he riveted to a spot and bark at the young officer in Arabic.

“Transport Ms. Kang to Anaiza by helicopter at once. Tell al-Dia-Allah she is to be sequestered as to the law of Islam. No man is to see her hair unbound or uncovered again. Is that understood?”

“Yes, sir!” the lieutenant snapped a crisp salute to the Arabic command. Sora half turd wandering what was all about, but had no time to ask questions as a jeep full of rifle-toting soldiers’ screeched to a halt beside them.

The lieutenant took the wheel from the driver and Sora was jammed in the passenger’s seat. Someone tossed her folded garment bag containing her toiletries and changes of clothes into the jeep before it lurched forward on grinding gears and smoking tires.

The generalissimo swaggered back to his F-15 and the crew on the ground began reloading his empty casings. Sora saw no more as the jeep sped around a revetment. Past the nest embankment of sand, a squadron of helicopters shot skyward, every one of them headed north. More jets rocketed airborne. Shielding her eyes from the lash of flying sand, she concluded the Saudis were every piece of weaponry they had into to hostile sky.

Sthe jeep squealed to a halt beside the ancient Huey helicopter. She was destined to be hustled elsewhere. As jet engines broke the sound barrier, she protested boarding another aircraft without first having to access to facilities inside the terminal.

The lieutenant’s response tested his command of English to the limits of his ability. “There are no facilities here for a woman. It is a great insult to every soldier to suffer your presence among us. A woman may not show her face or her uncovered hair. This is Saudi Arabia, gaemil.”