Chapter 5 (cont.)

THE SHEIK AND THE VIXEN

“My plane can’t be pirated. There is a difference. Did you expect the latest technology? Or are you satisfied with old-fashioned starters that anyone can hijack?”

“Touché, Sora Kang. If you are keeping score, that point I concede to you. Would you now have me assume your lovely Vixen 2016-2 work?”

“Of course I can. But in light of the position you have placed me in, you can consider my assistance going no further than name, rank and serial number. I won’t tell you any more than that.”

“No you border on becoming childish. Very well, play that if you must. You remove certain papers from the place. There were inside the leather case. Bring them to me.”

“They won’t help you.”

“Have I asked for help? No, I have asked for the Vixen’s papers.”

“Suit yourself,’Sora muttered under her breath.

No point was served by her withholding the Vixen’s papers. During the time she’d been asleep, hah he had ample opportunity to order his servant to search her belongings. She rose and went into the bedroom and saw her garment bag lying on the bench at the foot of the bed, but no briefcase. She didn’t see it in the bedroom and returned to the lounge.

“Ah, there it is.” She found her attaché on a low mahogany table near the door. She took it to him and said, “Is this every woman’s lot in life, stepping and fetching for you, Sheik Leeteuk?”

He did not rise to the bait. Instead, he took the briefcase, reach for the lamp on the table at his elbow and move it to shine over his shoulder. He leaned forward, opened the briefcase, and move aside his cup and the coffeepot before allowing the contents of the case to slide onto the gleaming tabletop.

Sora tucked her feet under her again and sat back with her coffee, she felt calmer. They were on familiar ground. His scrutiny of her passport failed to ruffle her, not even when he compared the photo with her face. She couldn’t begin to guess what else he might be thinking.

“You lied about you weight,” he said at long last.

“I certainly didn’t,” Sora countered defensively.

“You don’t weight 125 pounds.”

“I don’t weigh an ounce over that,” Sora insisted.

“You do not have to curves of a woman of that weight.”

Insulted again, Sora snapped, “Well, I have the bones!”

“You take offense very easily.”

Haley rolled her eyes. He could stand to learn a thing or two about tact. He thumbed through the balance of her personal items, including her wallet, pausing to read her driver’s license, her aviator’s licenses, and to study pictures of her family and friends. He counted her cash and traveler’s checks. When he’d finish his inspection, he wagged her five crisp Kuwait mille bank notes between them. “Tell me again that you were not in Kuwait? Where did you get this currency if you were not in the city?”