Chapter 9: Reaching Out For You

Crossing Borders
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 9 Reaching Out For You

 

People always say that chasing the wrong things can make them lose a good thing. Chasing someone isn’t as bad as how it looks like. The word itself might sound desperate and a wrong move but if they go deeper into its significance, there are a lot of truths hiding behind it. There are also good things about chasing, like for example chasing for the right things that they know it can benefit them. There are also bad things in it, like chasing for perfection to build a flawless empire that leads them in the wrong way of life. Yes, chasing can be very complex in this life full of erratic trials.

 

All these people on rush from all sides, all these vehicles blowing its horn because of an early traffic and all these tall buildings and numerous crowded shops, Tiffany challenges herself to be fit in these urban people that are already on mood swings going to their daily work. Holding onto the Jung Group of Companies’ address, she’s having a hard time tracing it due to these unresponsive people she inquires to and because of the unfamiliarity of the realm she’s roaming around.

 

“I can’t believe a lot has changed in just a few years. It wasn’t like this yet when I last wandered around this city.” Tiffany breathed heavy for it’s still early in the morning yet she’s already exhausted from hunting.

 

It didn’t take long nevertheless when Tiffany’s able to locate the company address. After taking the long route and nightmare-like course, she’s finally able to put a stop into it now that this one tall gigantic building is standing right in front of her amazed and flabbergasted self.  “Huge…” She thought. She feels as if her neck is breaking as she looks so up high until her sight reached the top floor. Tiffany couldn’t even count how many floor it has; only she’s aware that this building is covered with glass walls at some floors and polished glass windows to some.

 

“So Jessi’s family owns this… amazing…” Tiffany still can’t get over from her amazement, looking ignorant in front of the businessmen and employees coming in and out of the building.

 

After relaxing her amazed thoughts, Tiffany decided to move forward together with her backpack that she always carry with her. As she moves ahead, she gets more amazed of the building’s vicinity. There’s an underground parking lot intended for both employees and VIPs, there are a lot of waiting sheds outside for the employees on break that coordinated with plants that are perfectly planned.

 

“Hey, who’s that? Is that an applicant or something? Isn’t she too plain?” A high-rated employee murmured to his companion as they saw Tiffany approaching closer inside the lobby.

 

“Maybe she’s lost or something. There’s no way a low class like that has an appointment here.” The other replied.

 

Tiffany heard several employees and top-class people chattering of how she looks like. Indeed, she realized everyone around the building’s overly shining and neat lobby is in their business suits and attire. No one is wearing so casual like what she’s wearing, jeans and pink blouse. Even she reflected her plain self on the tiled floor. The ladies around her are also as lavish as the gentlemen for they are sporting their most fashionable business outfit that’s matched with their heavy well-done make-up. When has reached the receptionists’ area, also them are obviously holding back their laughter.

 

“Excuse me.” Still, Tiffany shows respect to them and asks the one on the long row of receptionists, “I’m Tiffany Hwang. Is it possible to meet Jessica Jung right now?”

 

Some heard her say and they all looked at her as they momentarily stopped from their own errands. The receptionists were also dumbfounded for a while at her direct and unprofessional way to ask for Jessica, someone who has one of the highest positions in the company.

 

“Do you have an appointment with Ms. Jessica Jung?” The receptionist belatedly asked.

 

“Well, I didn’t make any appointment beforehand but please tell her it’s Tiffany Hwang from the village. I’m sure she’ll pick up right away.” The confident Tiffany said tense and worried at the same time.

 

“Sica isn’t around yet. She’s on field to meet other investors.”

 

Just when the receptionist is about to make a direct call to Jessica’s office, Yuri came in from the entrance and found Tiffany inquiring and so the receptionist cancelled the call as signaled. Yuri flashed a smile, not to mention a mean smile towards Tiffany whom she’s approaching but Tiffany gave nothing but a poker-faced look. They stared at each other for a minute before Yuri travelled down her eyes from top to bottom, scanning Tiffany’s look that doesn’t fit to their environment. Comparing to her luxurious branded business attire, Tiffany definitely got downgraded.

 

“As I was saying, Sica isn’t here right now. She’s out for multiple business meetings the whole day. So, you may go now. She’s not at their mansion either so you better not bother yourself going there to check on her.” Yuri said in deep husky tone, a tone that’s telling Tiffany to disappear from her sight.

 

Tiffany frowned and soon she easily gives up miserable, “I see. I guess I’ll just come back some other time then. Sorry for the trouble.” She then bowed down.

 

What’s inside Yuri’s thoughts is, “Don’t ever come back…” but what she said was, “No, it’s alright. Your timing is just bad. Maybe next time.”

 

Tiffany paced out dejected for her mission of the day failed. She looked back, hoping that Jessica might appear out of nowhere but still there’s none. Tiffany feels so hopeless that her head couldn’t find its strength to look up and meet these people glaring at her until she totally walked away from the building’s region. And for Yuri, she feels like she just saved her skin from being eaten by a snake as she exhaled loud in relief, relieved that she came on time to stop Tiffany from meeting Jessica.

 

“Whew~ that was close.” Yuri again exhaled then smiled triumphant.

 

“Excuse me Ms. Kwon but Ms. Jessica Jung is at her office though. Ms. Tiffany Hwang might be a special guest for her. Is it alright to deny her presence?” The receptionist asked in concern.

 

“Special guest?” Do you think a low class woman who looks like a stray dog is a special guest for Sica?” The maddened Yuri leaned closer to the receptionist to interrogate.

 

The receptionist tugs her head back from Yuri’s nearness and dreadfully answers, “W-well, no ma’am…”

 

“Then we’re good. And don’t ever tell Sica that a woman named Tiffany came here to find her. She’s too busy to be distracted by some low class person.” Yuri highly warned and the only thing the workers could reply is a fast nod of affirmation. Then she goes on, “Don’t inform this to that loud and easy going secretary of hers too. What was her name again?”

 

“Im Yoona.” They answered precise.

 

“Ah yeah, I almost forgot her name. Don’t tell her too, okay? I’m sure she’s going to go into details if she finds out. You know that woman is so enthusiastic and loyal to Sica so keep it a secret from her too. Did I make myself clear?” Yuri stated with a glare that’s giving the receptionists a loud heart pump of apprehension.

 

“Y-yes ma’am.” The long row of receptionists bowed to her.

 

The clueless and dumbfounded Jessica who knows not that Tiffany came reaching out for her is definitely in her office, signing documents that are intended for her father who gave an authorization to her to sign his documents whenever he’s overseas. From time to time, she would space out and stare into an empty space on the walls which she doesn’t usually do. She would drop her pen once her mind gets blown away by thoughts of Tiffany she never wanted to remember.

 

Entering her office after an unanswered thousand knocks is her secretary that Yuri talked about, Im Yoona. She observes the mysteriousness on Jessica’s attitudes and the sudden change of her work habits since she came back for work. The once focused eyes on the documents are gone, and now those eyes of hers keep on closing that comes with a heavy heave of sigh. Yoona put the pile of papers on top of her table with utmost caution and so careful not to snap her bothered superior.

 

“Yoona, what’s my schedule for the whole day?” Jessica asked while trying her very best to focus on analyzing those unfinished papers ahead of her.

 

The alarmed secretary grabbed her calendar of activities on her folder then she clearly reads aloud, “You’ll have a meeting after lunch with the board of directors regarding the budgeting of your countryside project then after that you’ll meet investors in the afternoon in place of your father.”

 

“Good. Vacate all my time at night. I have a personal appointment with Krystal. Also…” Jessica hesitated for a while but later she coyly asks, “Did someone happen to come here and looked for me?”

 

“Well, there’s none. The receptionists should have told me if there’s one.” Yoona carefully alleged. “Are you expecting someone today? Maybe we can make an appointment for that right now since you don’t have schedules for this morning.” She then recommended.

 

“No. Never mind. I’m not expecting someone.” Jessica sighed in distress then she mumbles, “It’s just that I thought she would come. I guess I’m such an idiot to expect something impossible.”

 

“She? Who?”

 

Jessica throws daggers to her secretary and groans saying, “Enough. Just go back to work and give me some more. I want to keep myself busy.”  Accordingly, Yoona let her suspicions slide as she goes back to work like what was ordered her to do.

 

The day has never been this nerve-wracking for the hard working woman Choi Sulli because Krystal’s message in the past night hasn’t totally sank in to her. Her attentiveness towards her surroundings has doubled as she alerts on any upcoming presence of Krystal who makes her heart pounds louder than ever, especially after that night she received such heartwarming “I miss you too…” message. From side to side, ahead of her to behind her, Sulli can’t stop wandering her eyes as she’s putting her guards up.

 

“You’re weird.” Luna mentioned as she noticed Sulli’s alertness towards everyone around them.

 

“I know unnie.” Sulli acknowledged yet her awareness is still on her surroundings, not minding her worried senior beside her at all. “Krystal might be just around the corner. I don’t know what to tell her if she suddenly comes to me all of a sudden. I might faint if that happens so I have to be this attentive, in case she’s around.” She then explained.

 

“Ah, is it still about that message she sent you? You kept on staring at your phone last night so I saw it too.” Luna predicted right on the spot and her dongsaeng got completely off guard as she accidentally tripped off on her way.  

 

Trying to get back up on her feet, Sulli reservedly reasons out as she rubs her flushing cheeks, “Because… I never thought she could send me something like that. I was so surprised and now I’m too conscious because of it.”

 

“I guess you don’t have to be that alert though…” Luna said and pointed at Kai entering the campus alone with all his fangirls tailing him while he ignores them.

 

“Huh? Where’s Krystal?” Sulli asked herself.

 

“Ditching again, maybe?” Luna said but later she corrects herself because of a thought that popped into her mind, “Oh! What if she feels the same as you are? Maybe she’ll ditch her classes again because she doesn’t know how to face you too? She must be self-conscious of herself too!”

 

“Really? Krystal feels the same way?” Sulli rustled to herself.

 

“Good morning Sulli.” Kai greeted and Sulli didn’t see him coming from her side.

 

And so, Sulli is forced to greet back without her usual bright morning smile, “Good morning too. Why? What do you need from me?”

 

“Soojung asked me to tell you that she won’t be around the whole day. I don’t know why but that’s what she asked me to tell you. Also, she said she’ll make sure to come and watch your rehearsals after classes. That’s all.” Kai informed with such a gentle smile that all envious women eyeing on them melted.

 

“Of course she’ll come this afternoon! I know that! We still have to meet until tonight with our sisters!” Sulli unnecessarily raised her voice because of the aggravation to see Kai and to hear Kai calling Krystal way too informal to which even Luna was shocked by it.

 

“Gosh, so this is how Ssul gets jealous… interesting…” Luna assumed and tittered soundless behind her.

 

Kai himself was taken aback from Sulli’s high tone, “O-okay. I j-just wanted to tell you that. She warned me to tell you properly or else she won’t talk to me for her entire life. I just don’t want that to happen so I’m here…”

 

“Is that so? Sorry for the trouble then. You see, our Ssul right here is having her monthly period so she’s kind of hot headed right now. I suggest we should just stop it here and let’s go to our respective classes.” Luna took the initiative as she came in between them after observing Sulli’s burning glares. Her laugh turned so awkward that Kai can only stare at her in muddle.

 

“Y-yeah. Sure. I’ll just see you guys around then.” Kai then also clumsily excused himself after giving Sulli a last glimpse.

 

“Yah unnie! I think it’s inappropriate to tell a guy about me having monthly periods! And besides, I’m not on period!” Sulli immediately complained when Kai has gone out of sight.

 

“Then how else will you tell him why you were glaring at him like you’re ready to bury him alive? I know it’s unsuitable too but that’s the only way to make him believe. It’s better than telling him that you’re jealous!” Luna answered back, winked as she made that last tease.

 

“I’m n-not jealous!” Sulli barely defended but her expression said the opposite for it’s getting so red like a tomato.

 

“Whatever Ssul. Tell that lie to my hands!”

 

Krystal, ditching her classes only means one thing. She’s on her usual place to hide during the day whenever she feels like isolating herself from all the classes she has been forcibly taking. Though she knows it’s still quite impossible for her to paint another artwork, her hands automatically grabs for the materials and sets them in front of her, that’s how much she’s obsessed with her dreams to become an artist.

 

“Stop that Krys or else it will take your right hand to heal longer. Don’t strain yourself too much. Take it easy.” Her best friend Amber snatched the paint brush from Krystal and pulled away the canvass in front of her only to replace it with a glass of her favorite melon milk drinks.

 

The defeated Krystal sighed, “I’m getting so impatient and I want this hand to heal right away. I just can’t take it anymore, forcing myself to attend those classes and listen to those boring lectures that will just end up getting out from ear to ear.”

 

“I know that feeling. I was once got injured too and I also got impatient that time but it won’t take long until you’ll get over it.” Amber smiled at the memory.

 

“If only it’s possible to get healed at this very moment…” Krystal whined.

 

To somewhat comfort her best friend’s agony, Amber shows Krystal a series of schedule from her phone, “Here, take a look. There’s an exclusive art exhibit soon, for one straight week here in our country. The artists will be coming from France and they will be exhibiting their masterpieces. These French artists are world class and are big-time artists. I heard their works cost more than millions when sold.”

 

Krystal scans the sample of their artworks and she undeniably got awed with everything in front of her amazed eyes. Her eyes sparkled and her smile reached up to her ears at the appreciation. She couldn’t hide her amazement that she even grabbed the phone away from Amber to scan those images all by herself, going to a corner like a little kid.

 

“Can we go in this event? Can we attend this event? Can we? Can we?” Krystal asked so excited she jumped around.

 

“Well, I heard only painters and aspiring artists can attend it since it’s exclusive.” Amber said. “There’s a chance we can attend it though. All we have to do is to send them an image of one of our artworks with explanation and they’ll inspect it, if it will pass or not. And if we’re fortunate, then we can have tickets and get to it. It’s stated in the instructions.” She then further expounded.

 

“Really? I’m going to give it a shot! I might get lucky and can get in that exhibit. I’ve always wanted to be in one of those world class art exhibits I always see on the internet!” Krystal professed and shrieked in excitement.

 

The joy in Krystal’s face that was once dejected instantly restored, thanks to Amber’s information that made her go wild in contentment like a kid who got a toy present from a mother.

 

In the meantime, somewhere from the opposite side of the globe, New York City, U.S.A, the Jung sister’s father meets some of his local investors and some potential international investors for their expansion of goods and services. Between daybreaks or during the late nights, the father would still request from his butler those daily reports of his daughters whom he left easily. The father never failed to monitor his daughters thoroughly, despite of being physically far from them.

 

“Sir, a report from our source sent Krystal’s daily activities.” The butler held close to the billionaire’s ear as he handed over the tablet containing data.

 

The billionaire closely reads the report regarding Krystal. Everything is stated in there, from her misconducts the night she was caught into trouble with Sulli with photos attached on the file up to Krystal’s most recent one, her ditching classes early morning.

 

“You!” The billionaire called for the butler’s attention. “Investigate this woman who’s always with Krystal. Her face isn’t familiar to me. Surely, I haven’t seen that woman attending our family gatherings and business parties. I need this woman’s background.” He then ordered the butler as he pointed at Sulli whose photo was also taken with Krystal at the park nearby the apartment.

 

The billionaire couldn’t help but to let out a loud heavy sigh of frustration. Whenever it’s about Krystal, he would always end up getting so stressed and worked up unlike Jessica who never gave him a little headache because she’s been like an obedient robot following his orders without questions and queries.

 

Getting all worked up, the billionaire got teary-eyed and mumbled to his fatigued self, “Krystal, what should I do with you?”

 

“Mr. Jung, I’m so sorry to keep you waiting. I had a meeting before this that’s why I came a little late than promised.” A man approached the waiting billionaire on his comfortable seat at the hotel’s lobby.

 

The billionaire got up from his seat to formally meet the man with a handshake then greets, “Mr. Tyler Kwon, it’s nice to see you again. It’s alright, you don’t have to apologize. I should be thanking you actually for agreeing to meet me today even if I didn’t make an appointment prior to this.”

 

“I don’t have any schedules after this so I guess it’s not a problem.” Tyler responded and accepted the seat being offered across the billionaire. “What is it that you want to discuss with, Mr. Jung?”

 

“You know my daughter Jessica, right?” The billionaire directly asked.

 

“Yeah. We often meet back then whenever there’s a party, particularly in China. Yuri and I are also related that’s why I got to know your daughter. Is there something about her? Did something happen?” Tyler said and inquired.

 

The billionaire cackled and explains, “Nothing, really. Jessica is as perfect as always. Actually, there’s a favor I want to ask you. Jessica is currently finishing her project with the overall nationwide expansion of our networks. In connection to that, I might need your help also. I know your connection all throughout the world, especially in Asia, is strong and reliable. I just want you to help Jessica on making her project known to the world and let her achievements be known. I’m sure her current accomplishments as one of our directors can shake up the telecommunications industry and soon, she’ll be a well-known President of our company. With you, Mr. Tyler Kwon, a man full of connections, I would like to ask for cooperation with Jessica’s projects. Of course, we’ll discuss the terms and conditions sooner too.”

 

“If it’s Jessica whom I’ll help promote, I think it won’t be that hard, especially that Jessica herself is overflowing with charms. I also think that her face value itself can make an impact. And if you add those achievements of hers in your industry, she’ll definitely be a perfect woman, flawless and faultless. She can dominate the business world in no time.” Tyler commented, smiling as he complimented Jessica on his own ways.

 

“So, will you accept?”

 

Tyler thinks for a while, but thinking of Jessica’s charms that he admires he positively replies, “Sure, why not? If Jessica is fine with it and if she’s fine with me then it’s a call.”

 

“Thank you so much.” The billionare victoriously let out a laugh. “I’ll talk to Jessica when I got back.”

 

“If I would ask Mr. Jung, is Jessica dating someone already?” Tyler asked straightforward as he took a sip of the glass of wine served for them. “Well, honestly speaking, I’m interested of her too, as a woman and not a mere business partner or just investor-director relationship. I would like to know her more too.” He then clearly described his motives.

 

“I know what you’re trying to say Mr. Kwon.” The billionaire smirked. “Sure, go ahead. Jessica isn’t dating anyone and if she does, I should have known it right away. I would love to see a man like you as my son-in-law too.” He then joked.

 

Together they laughed and made a toast of their goblets for a successful business meeting that was tainted with Jessica’s personal life. Of course, this meeting is unknown to Jessica’s knowledge who knows nothing of what thei

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter