Chapter 7: Trust

Crossing Borders
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 7 Trust

 

Trust, it can be strength but it can also be a weakness. Trust can build something but it can also break something apart. Sharing trusts can bring out the best on each other but it can also bring out the worst of one another. Giving faith to someone, especially to a person whom they never thought they can come across with, only shows respect and unconditional recognition but the other party should render the same extent to the other and if it isn’t, then close rapport won’t exist. Either way, trust hurts just like how love hurts and trust is magnificent just like how love is because by the end of the day, trust and love should come in package.

 

Mornings have never been so warm and tender before, this is what the stressed and strained Tiffany thinks on her half-sleep. The morning sunlight which passes through the opened curtains that hits her body is something that she doesn’t get on her own room. The morning breeze that sneaks in through the opened windows caresses her skin is something that she rarely experiences. But just when she thought her morning could be the best one in her entire life, she got it all wrong.

 

The half-awake Tiffany turned to her side as she flung her arms to the empty space beside her, only to touch nothing but the thick blanket and not Jessica. She traveled her arms more with her closed eyes but still she touched none of Jessica and that’s the time she opened her eyes huge. Her eyes met with the wall and pillows that’s already fixed and towels well-folded on top of it.

 

“Jessica?” Tiffany jerked up on her bed by the time she realized that the sick woman is nowhere to be found around the room. “Where did she go?” 

 

“Sica-noona! Can I have seconds, please?”

 

“Me too Sica-noona!”

 

“Okay kids. Take it easy or else you’ll get choked. Your Sica-noona will serve it for you.”

 

Tiffany overheard laughter and loud yet joyous voices coming from the dining room. In haste, she got up on her bed and jogged her wobbly legs all the way to the dining room where she heard such noises. There she found the kids eating rice omelet which they don’t eat frequently for breakfasts, joined with fresh milk being poured on glasses by the motherly Jessica. The scene made Tiffany’s jaw drop and looked daggers at the billionaire though amazed at the same time. As if her eyes are deceiving her, she rubbed her eyes couple of times and still the view of the family-like scene didn’t go away.

 

“It’s not a dream…” Tiffany mumbled on her stand meters far from them.

 

“Fany-noona, join us! Sica-noona has been waiting for you!” A kid pulled Tiffany close to them and offered one vacant seat for her.

 

“W-wait…” Tiffany glared at Jessica as she approached her then probed, “Hold on. What’s going on? And why are you doing these things? These are my obligations and responsibilities! Moreover, you shouldn’t be moving around yet! What if your fever comes back? Let me do that!”

 

Jessica pushed Tiffany back down to her seat. She tapped her by the shoulders as she whispered, “Don’t worry. I’m all fine now because of you. As my appreciation, let me do some of your morning works today. The kids also said they want to taste my cooking so why not? Your grandma also said she’ll go ahead to the farm so it’s alright. Relax and take your time.”

 

“B-but…”

 

“No more buts! Just join us for breakfast. Look, the kids are waiting for you.” Jessica said as she placed Tiffany’s own plate in front of her with the freshly cooked rice omelet.

 

“It’s delicious Fany-noona! Have some!” The kids insisted with anticipation written all over their morning happy faces.

 

Tiffany groaned in defeat as she accepted the spoon being passed by the kids. Jessica remained on her position, standing across Tiffany while eyeing down at her as she’s munching leisurely the omelet. There are no praises, compliments or even criticisms that come out from Tiffany, only that she keeps on eating wordless as if she momentarily forgot the world around her. Truly, she finds the breakfast savory and appetizing that she started to want more of it but chose not to comment anything. This silent reaction from Tiffany was considered pleased or hitherto delighted for Jessica who chortled light on her.

 

“Kids, go and change now. You’ll get late for your remedial classes if you keep on watching your Fany-noona eating.” Jessica clapped her hands and the kids complied, going back to their room as they all ran back.

 

“Thank you for all of this.” Tiffany said now that she’s having that one glass of milk prepared for her too.

 

Jessica sat across her and said genuinely, “Actually, I should be the one thanking you. Without you with me last night, then maybe I’m still sick by this time. Only that it seems you kind of enjoyed cuddling me, you even snored so loud that’s why I woke up ahead of you. But still, thank you. You helped me a lot. I owe you a lot.”

 

Tiffany holds her breath from Jessica’s sincerity. She touched her cheeks flushing in red and slowly creeping up all the way to her ears. She couldn’t hide it as she froze on Jessica’s deep gazes and she failed to stop her fluttered feelings. Tiffany’s uncomfortable expression is so evident that Jessica ended up sneering at her as red as tomato cheeks. Their deafening silence occupied the dining room and this kind of situation is something that Tiffany has never been before, making it more difficult as her eyes can’t just look away from Jessica’s pleased ones, torturing her feelings and emotions even more.

 

“Noona! We’re ready!” The kids abruptly shouted to break their intense quietness, running back to them and it startled Tiffany on her seat.

 

“Ah… Y-yeah. S-sure. W-wait for me outside. I’ll just fix my plate for a minute.” Tiffany barely pronounced as she wiped away those sweat beads that formed all over her forehead and some glided down to her jaw.

 

“I’ll take care of things here. You can just go and walk them to school.” Jessica ceased Tiffany from picking up her plate as she held her by her wrist. “Don’t worry. I won’t mess up things in here. Trust me.” She then said with assurance using her warmest smile that she could ever give to someone.

 

Tiffany roughly pulled her wrist out of Jessica’s hold and reacted in her weird high tone, “O-okay! I’ll go ahead! See you later then!”

 

Jessica couldn’t help herself but to giggle at the picture of Tiffany running out of the house unsteadily. She breathed deep in satisfaction, so relieved that she can finally move her stiffed body around again and continue on with her research that’s on its near end.

 

Tiffany who’s on her way with the kids also breathed deep like what Jessica did but with a different purpose. If Jessica breathed in satisfaction and relief, Tiffany breathed in tiredness from all the fast walking she did that she forgot that the kids are running fast to catch her run from behind. The impact that Jessica unconsciously gave her caused her to act odd, so uncomfortable yet she can feel this warm and heartfelt growing gradually. She tried to overlook, she tried to act ignorant and know not of this sensation but she couldn’t. Tiffany fully knows what this feeling is and exactly knows why she feels such emotions.

 

“No way…” Tiffany shook off her head so fast, to put away all of her thoughts that’s constantly traveling back and forth on her mind.

 

“Fany-noona, how long is Sica-noona staying with us?” One of the kids asked as he looked up to Tiffany.

 

“Can she stay with us forever noona? I want her to be with us forever. Can you ask her to stay forever?”

 

“H-hey, that’s not possible. Your Sica-noona is only here to do researches and she also has work to do at the city. She can’t possibly stay with us for a long time.” Tiffany expressed in hoarse.

 

The idea of having Jessica to stay with them forever struck her. She never thought of such thing until the kid inquired and this made her think deeper, so deep she almost drown in her own thoughts.

 

On that same morning, that one early morning when Krystal slowly opened her eyes along with heavy eye bags underneath it. She first saw unfamiliar ceiling, a low ceiling which crept her out for a second that caused her to sit up on the creaking small bed. But as she did, she arched in pain, a pain that came from her wrapped in bandage right hand, and stinging pain which came from her forehead also wrapped in thick bandages. She looked down to herself, only to find out she’s wearing clothes that are not hers, on an unfamiliar room and on a bed she doesn’t own.

 

“Where am I?” Krystal asked to no one.

 

“Oh you’re awake.” Luna came in to the room and approached the clueless and astonished Krystal on her bed. “Sorry. You must be confused. I’m Luna, Sulli’s senior and right now you’re in our apartment like what was planned last night. You passed out and Sulli came back home with the bloodshed you. Of course, I was so shocked.”

 

“I see.” Krystal breathed.

 

“A doctor came not long after you and Sulli came back here. The doctor properly treated your wounds and said that your scratches will heal in no time but…” Luna grimaced and looked down to Krystal’s damaged right hand.

 

“Why? What did the doctor say?”

 

“The doctor said you won’t be able to use your right hand for a long time. It suffered from a serious damage that it got fractured. I’m sorry for what happened.” Luna humbly apologized as she lowered down her head.

 

Krystal rose up her right arm, aligning her hand to her eye level. She tried to clench it and really, she failed and ended up creasing her forehead in ache. Later frustration is building up inside her and resentment towards herself is raging to her mind. She certainly not assumed she would undergo like this, a situation where her dreams of becoming an artist could end up shattering into pieces just because of a single night .  

 

“Damn! Where is Sulli when I need her?” Krystal cursed in madness.

 

“Ssul left earlier for work.” Luna blurted out when she noticed the fury in Krystal’s eyes and the wrath on her trembling clenched left hand on top of her blanket. Krystal flashed at her, waiting for more explanation and so Luna nervously continued, “Actually, she wasn’t able to sleep last night when the doctor informed her about your right hand. She kept on crying on your bedside and I couldn’t stop her. She’s blaming herself for what happened.”

 

“And why the hell is she blaming herself?” Krystal examined.

 

“Well you know, Ssul is weak, emotionally weak too. She left early because she’s scared to talk to you. She said she doesn’t know how to face you so she left you under my care. She asked me to wait for you to wake up and treat your wounds.” Luna explained with caution to avoid damaging more of Krystal’s fragile emotions.

 

Contrariwise, Sulli who went to work couldn’t hide her swollen and tired eyes from crying endlessly the night before. The caretakers and other workers around the facility detected how she would lower down her head and cover her face to others and the some of the patients can perceive how her voice turned husky and low whenever she talks to them. The formerly bubbly and happy-go-lucky has spun into a depressed and dejected one, like a lifeless being walking around the area.

 

“Did something happen?” The cancer patient queried.

 

By the facility’s terrace, there Sulli chose to spend her snack break with only a can of soda in between her locked hands. She turned her head around when she heard the old woman asked while rolling her own wheel chair towards her. Sulli let the woman stay beside her to enjoy the morning’s heat, watching the top view of the city from their place.

 

The woman waited for Sulli to speak up but nothing came out of her zipped mouth and so she again assumed, “You know you can talk to me when you’re feeling down. I may be a cancer patient, but I’m still an experienced middle-aged woman. Basing from your expression, you’re caught into a great trouble and caused something, am I right?”

 

Sulli looked down to the woman sulking to her lowest. “As expected…” She then snapped. “I guess I’m bad at hiding my problems. But you’re right, I did something unimaginable. I’m so messed up right now. I don’t know what to do.”

 

“C’mon, my dear. Tell me what happened.” The woman persuaded.

 

Sulli faced her back to the fences as she leaned her back on it. Playing with the can on her hands, she disclosed, “I hurt someone and I feel like I took away her dreams because of me being so weak all the time. If only I’m stronger, if only I know how to fight back then she wouldn’t get hurt. It’s my entire fault. She saved me and now she’s hurt. I don’t know how to face her now and I ended up running and avoiding her. I’m so hopeless.”

 

Under her palm she covered her eyes that are once again flowing out with tears. She sobbed and she’s losing her breath because of her hard and sentimental cries. Soon she loses her strength with her knees that are sluggishly bending down and she hugs her own knees, curling herself like a ball as she continues on crying.

 

The woman sympathized with the breaking down caretaker as she patted her head saying, “Your friend must be really brave to save you. Besides, you shouldn’t be blaming yourself. Instead of avoiding her, why don’t you go to her side and be with her?”

 

“But how? I don’t even know if she hates me now or not. I’m scared.” Sulli sobbed.

 

“You know Sulli, I think it would be better if you stay with her. If you keep on running away, your problems won’t be solved and you’ll just end up getting miserable like how you are right now. Face her properly and apologize then do something that can save both yourself and her. And the only way is to be with her through ups and downs. At least be brave for her. I think your friend would like it way better if you’re there with her instead of avoiding her all the time.” The woman sincerely remarked as she gave Sulli a gentle caress by her hair, wiping away all the useless tears she has been letting out.

 

“Be brave for Krystal,… can I do that?” Sulli thought to herself.

 

The woman laughed at Sulli’s expression that changed instantly upon giving her some piece of advice. She stared deeply at her as she reminisced, “My first daughter is just like you. You somewhat remind me of her. I can see her in you…”

 

“Your daughter? How does your daughter look like?” Sulli asked.

 

“When she was just a little girl, she cries all the time too, just like you. She easily cries over simple things and she’s emotionally weak too but covers it. She doesn’t smile a lot and she’s often mistaken as a cold snob girl at school. Because of that she has no friends and always alone. That’s why, when I was pregnant with my second daughter, she was so happy saying that she finally has someone to play with.” The woman teared at the memory despite of it being a good one.

 

“Then, where are they? Why did they leave you?”

 

“They didn’t leave me Sulli. It was me who left them. I abandoned them without fighting for my right. Though I know they’re living well without me, I can’t help but to worry too. I’m such a bad mother. Sorry Sulli but I don’t want to talk about it more. Let’s not go deeper into it, it hurts.” The woman forced out a smile but failed to hide the tears that unavoidably came out. Sulli, this time, it’s her turn to comfort the cancer patient because of the memories that flashed back to her.

 

In the meantime, there’s also a woman who misses her sister, her other half, while working on the final touches of her research. Taking a break from all the stresses, Jessica temporarily closed her laptop and arranged all her finished documents in one file then walked out of her room to inhale some fresh air of the village. She stretched her arms so wide that she caught all the air on her chest with the sunlight peeking through the dancing tree leaves. She has gotten used to this kind of living that watching the people dirtying themselves on work doesn’t give her this uncomfortable feeling any longer. Instead, she would feel better and more at east whenever she watches the villagers working hard, harder than when she works on her own.

 

“What a beautiful sight.” Jessica praised.

 

Her eyes wander around the area, from the field covered with scourging heat of the sun to the farmers that are fighting with it. Until her eyes landed on this petite woman, Taeyeon, also taking a break just like her under the tree. She decided to approach this worn out woman sitting on the grassy ground with a piece of bread on her hand.

 

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” Jessica said, referring to the vast green field in front of them as she tries to be friendly using her smile.

 

“Yeah, she’s beautiful.” Taeyeon unconsciously replied.

 

Jessica raised an eyebrow from her unexpected response. She followed where her eyes are ogling and realized she’s so fixated at Tiffany who is working hard on harvesting crops in the middle of the field, still beaming an eye smile to everyone around her.

 

“Ah, Tiffany huh? Well unfortunately I’m talking about the scenery, not her.” Jessica cackled at Taeyeon’s dumbfounded face.

 

Taeyeon was awaken with the late understanding and got ruffled as she was completely caught off guard. She hurriedly got up from the grass and she tried to find a defense, “Eh? Ah… uhm… it’s not…”

 

“Either way, may it be the scenery or Tiffany, it’s still beautiful. Both are beautiful. Don’t you think so?”

 

Taeyeon’s hysterical mind and panic state got interjected because of a comment which she didn’t like, at least for her. Their field was praised, their village was praised and most importantly, Tiffany was praised. Nonetheless, the way Jessica honored Tiffany and complimented her as a beautiful woman is something that Taeyeon didn’t like. It never crossed her mind that one of these days, while Jessica is still around, she would admire Tiffany’s beauty. Bit by bit, Taeyeon finds herself getting jealous, and so envious that Jessica, who is just a mere visitor like what Tiffany told her, can talk so easily about her.

 

“Hey Jessica, can I ask you something?” Taeyeon suddenly toned so serious that Jessica felt a little uncomfortable yet she still nodded in agreement. So Taeyeon courageously asked, “What do you think of Tiffany? Who is Tiffany for you?”

 

“That’s quite direct.” Jessica tried evading the question with her forced fun but when Taeyeon showed nothing but seriousness, she paused.

 

Jessica sighed, knowing she can’t run away with such direct and blunt question anymore. She gazed diligently at Tiffany on the field, her eye smile, her loud mouth which she can hear from their stand, and her presence that makes her stresses and fatigue to go away in a split second. Deep inside, Jessica can’t deny to herself that Tiffany truthfully gives her a big impact, a huge influence that she wants her to be around always.

 

And somewhere inside Jessica’s heart, she wanted to reply Taeyeon with, “Tiffany is someone worth keeping for…” But because Taeyeon is someone whom she considers just a mere villager, Jessica professionally replied with a lie that businessmen often say to their business partners, “Tiffany is a great acquaintance. Although not asked, she would come to help me with my business researches. Thanks to her help, I was able to finish my researches earlier than expected. If she’s in a business field, of course she would be an asset. In short, Tiffany is just a good companion. That’s all.”

 

Taeyeon secretly breathed in relief as she’s contented of Jessica’s words, unknowingly that all she said was a lie. Facing Jessica once again she happily said with a victorious giggle, “I see. I see. That’s so great to hear then. I’m glad that Fany is such a great help for you.”

 

“You like her, don’t you?” Jessica hesitantly asked her, so hesitant that she doesn’t want to hear an answer though she initiated to ask a dangerous question.

 

“I don’t just like her, but I love her.” Taeyeon confidently resp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter