Chapter 6: Progression

Crossing Borders
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 6 Progression

 

Progress is something that cannot be achieved without constant change, and those who cannot change themselves, their minds and especially their hearts cannot change anything and will forever be stocked in their positions. In chasing for dreams or in pursuing for love, in hunting for real self or in following what they think is right, making the essential and needed changes are the key to  growth. By the end of the day, having relentless progression is the only way out of their kept tangled passions.

 

For rich and wealthy people, they have undergone the heavy pressure of succeeding into a higher and bigger success. Just like any other ordinary people struggling to live around them, they are continuously progressing each day to achieve higher goals. At the same time, unlike any other ordinary people, some of the rich people progress with their lives without bearing in mind of the people they might upset, of who they might hurt. One best example of this is the dictator father of the Jung Family, who solely wants his daughters to be befitted with the likes of them.

 

“Mr. Jung, it’s so nice to see you again. We were kind of expecting that we will be able to see your lovely daughters today but I guess they are not around.” One greeted the billionaire man the moment he was seen arriving with his butlers.

 

“Ah sorry for that. I’ll make sure to present them to all of you next time. Please, let’s just enjoy this lunch.”

 

On a luxurious restaurant where only people on their caliber can afford, a gathering of business partners and friends is being conducted by the Jung. This kind of event happens only once a month, only whenever the conductor successfully makes a big accomplishment that produced him to gain wads of money. In a rectangular long table, all his visitors gathered for a lunch and even before he arrived it’s already harmonious as exchange of business talks happened. Some of the billionaire man’s visitors also brought their sons, their daughters and their wives along with them and the insensitive man never cared at all.

 

“So, how’s Jessica doing lately? Hasn’t she come back from her mission yet? It’s been quite long now Mr. Jung.” Yuri’s father, his best friend asked during the joyous lunch as his low husky voice battled with the gentle and careful sounds of utensils being used by others.

 

Dropping temporarily his spoon, the billionaire wisely reacted, “Jessica will be fine. She never disappointed me and she will never do that. Maybe some kind of problems just aroused at her destination that caused her some delays. And the interruption isn’t really a big issue for me actually. It’s my first time to send her on an extreme mission so making mistakes is understandable. She’s the only one I can count on to take over my position so I expect a lot from her.”

 

“Then how about the younger one Krystal, we hardly see and meet her even on formal parties. How are things with her? Will she follow her sister’s footsteps once she graduates?” Another one inquired at the notice of Krystal’s frequent absences on their gatherings.

 

The billionaire man expressed nothing, playing deaf as if he heard no one talked. The inquirer is still anticipating for an answer though, glaring at him full of expectation. Yuri, being one of his guests, noted the man’s avoidance of having Krystal as their point of topic. The way he coughed and the way he looked down from the inquiry made it apparent for Yuri that the sisters’ father didn’t like it.

 

 “Krystal is a smart girl too.”

 

Yuri was about to answer for the billionaire but something came unexpected. In between these professional businessmen is a one man who caught everyone’s attention from suddenly butting in. He has been mum as he kept his lips zipped the whole time beside his quiet and reserved mother, but the mention of Krystal’s name made him look up from his plate, leans forward to join the ongoing topic. Yuri doesn’t recognize his face and ended up giving him a blank look, while everyone just smiled at his sudden interest over the conversation.

 

“Jong In. My, my… If I didn’t look closer then I wouldn’t have recognized you. We’ve been exchanging words here but I didn’t even see you there sitting beside your mother. It only means that your quiet side hasn’t changed at all pretty boy.” The billionaire laughed at his realization.

 

“Oh please sir, just call me Kai.” The man named Kai politely said. “Well, it’s been so long since I came back here. I was still a young boy when we last met Mr. Jung. In fact, I came back last week with my mother. I haven’t gotten the chance to see Krystal yet too. We didn’t keep in touch at all while I was away.”

 

“Also, Krystal is attending the most prestigious university in town, right?” Kai’s mother asked and the billionaire nodded in silence. “Kai will be transferred there too. I just can’t leave him alone in Japan for his studies. I’ll be working here for a long time so I have to transfer him straightaway. I hope they will get along well, Mr. Jung. My son here keeps on bugging me that he wants to see Krystal again. You know, he likes her since they were still kids playing around your mansion.” She then own son, giggling at his ashamed state.

 

“Really? That’s good news. Then I hope you’ll stay along with Krystal, my boy. You can also come and visit her anytime in our mansion. You’re totally welcomed there.” The billionaire smiled and for the first time, he uttered something with regards to Krystal’s life.

 

The Kwon didn’t like the smile on the billionaire’s lips, the gestures on his hands, the stares on Kai and the evil intention hiding behind those classy words. Once again, the billionaire decided by himself.

 

While their father is busily making moves and choices on his own, the naive Krystal forced her uninterested self to attend her classes. Though she feels like this for the past few days, there’s something that has been keeping her busy. Not her best friend Amber, not her mother-like tutor Victoria, not her university friend Suzy, but her newly found interest Choi Sulli who has been exchanging messages with her since that one day they were left behind at Amber’s art studio.

 

“Hey idiot! What’s taking you so long to reply?” Krystal tapped on her smartphone under her table as she sent a message to Sulli, hiding it from the professor discussing lectures in front.

 

“Sorry. I’m currently working at the cafeteria. I can’t work properly while texting you.” Sulli quickly replied with her fast fingers as she temporarily faced her back to the long-lined customers.

 

“Liar! Liar! Liar! You promised you’ll respond right away!” Krystal replied once again in haste, giggling under her right palm.

 

“Yah! Don’t be so childish and unfair! It’s hard to keep up!” Sulli countered late, whining noiseless when she replied.

 

The bell rang, signifying that the hour long class is over and Krystal halted from tapping for another reply. Still cackling by herself on her seat while she fixes her scattered notes on her table, Suzy witnesses her acting weirdly. Krystal didn’t even notice that her friend is already across her, waiting with her stomping foot impatient.

 

“How long are you planning to laugh by yourself in there? Everyone’s out already except us. What’s wrong with you lately?” The impatient friend poked to Krystal’s cheeks.

 

Krystal looked up with a smirk forming on her lips, “Nothing much.”

 

Suzy groaned at her short and insufficient answer. As she knows Krystal is a little secretive when it comes to her personal affairs, she let it slide and brought out another topic instead and said, “By the way, I’ll be having a house party tonight. I invited some of the campus’ hotties and they confirmed their attendance. You should come too. It will be fun.”

 

“House party, huh?” Krystal then thinks for a while.

 

The thought of going back home never crossed her mind for she fully knows for herself that she would be meeting her father once she does. Thinking of how Victoria would lecture her on and on gives her headache by just imagining it. Amber is on an errand, making it impossible for Krystal to use her as an excuse and bait not to attend the house party. Lastly, Sulli, she thought of using her but dragging the role model student into her troubles and own plights makes her feel uncomfortable and guilty at the same time. All these thoughts thundered inside her mind.

 

“So, will you come?” Suzy again asked as she leaned closer in eagerness.

 

“Yeah, sure. I’ll absolutely come. Just make sure I’ll have fun, okay?” Krystal confirmed with a nod.

 

Sulli, on the other hand, felt so uneasy when Krystal replied zero anymore after their childish quarrel through text messages. There has been dilemma going on within her after that. She feels relieved when Krystal stopped sending her messages but at the same time she feels that she wants Krystal to keep on bugging her with her useless and pointless messages though she was bothered by it. Keeping in touch with Krystal has been giving her puzzlement in the past few days, so muddled that she hardly has enough time to sleep.

 

“Aish! And now she won’t talk to me…” Sulli grumbled while walking on the corridor with her phone.

 

“Ssul! Ssul! Good news!” Her senior Luna came running and shouting to her from behind.

 

“Woah! Why unnie? What happened?” Sulli questioned her disoriented senior.

 

“We were chosen!” Luna squealed in excitement but Sulli is still giving her a questionable look so she cleared out, “The University’s upcoming foundation day next month! We’ve been chosen to take part on a stage play! Our names have been posted at the bulletin board! The coordinator will meet all of us this afternoon after classes.”

 

Sulli’s jaw dropped, and afterwards she found herself squealing her lungs out alongside with Luna right in the middle of the corridor as they jump around in delight. But then Sulli stopped, grabbed her phone and said, “Wait, I have to tell Krystal about this.”

 

“Hmm…” Luna hummed with teasing tone as she tried to peek on what Sulli is typing on her message. “You’ve been so hooked up with her Ssul. Tell me, what’s the real score between the two of you?”

 

“We’re just friends unnie.” Sulli defended herself but her cheeks blushed furiously, making Luna not to believe at her defense.

 

“Okay, okay. I won’t ask more. As long as you’re happy with her then I won’t oppose.” Luna again teased and now Sulli gave her the coldest shoulder, sulking yet playful.

 

Meanwhile on the same side of progressing relationships, the village has been growing progressively. The villagers are keeping their good interactions with each other and like always, smiles are must especially when working under the heat. However, if everyone’s relationships have been steady and merry, there’s Taeyeon who has been feeling aloof from Tiffany, as if she’s being taken away from her, slowly yet painfully. Working with her at the farm hasn’t been so lively recently and she couldn’t help but to blame Jessica’s presence all over Tiffany.

 

“I have to do something or else Fany will be taken away from me.” Taeyeon sighed under her breath as she spends her time alone on a ramen stall for her late breakfast.

 

“Talking to your self isn’t healthy.” The village chief startled her from the side. “So, who’s going to take your precious away from you? I heard you clearly, don’t deny it.” He then joined her as he occupied the empty seat.

 

Taeyeon exhaled loud in defeat and admitted with a frown, “I don’t know if I’m just overthinking but I think Fany likes that Jessica Jung.”

 

“You think so? Maybe Fany is just being friendly and accommodating to her. You know Fany the most. She’s really like that to other people. She smiles all the time and she’s always that bright.”

 

“No.” Taeyeon still said as her voice turned more serious and deep. “That’s the problem chief. I know her too much that I know all kinds of smiles and stares she give to people around her. And that kind of smile and attention she’s giving to that woman is something that I’ve never seen before. She never looked at me like that and it makes me think too much I become so restless.”

 

“Is this why you didn’t go to the farm today to help her?”

 

“I might sound selfish but yes. I’m so scared that I might observe something between her and Jessica again. My eyes just keep on following them, every single move they do. Even the kids like Jessica now. Damn I’m so obsessed.” Taeyeon lowly whined.

 

“I see. If you’re worried about that then why don’t you confess and step forward? You’ve been showing signs to Fany that you really like her, right? I’m sure Fany already felt that too so confessing is probably the last resort for you. There will be a fireworks display later tonight from the neighboring village. Their chief came to me yesterday to inform about their festival and said we can also view it from up high the sky. You can ask Fany for a date and confess.” The chief sincerely recommended to his troubled companion.

 

“You’re right. Fany doesn’t have work at night. Then maybe I can ask her out tonight.” Taeyeon revitalized at the suggestion. “Thank you chief.”

 

As Taeyeon is carrying this heavy burden inside her heart, Tiffany finds it odd not to see her around during the day. Working in the farm has always been less stressful whenever she sees Taeyeon around, helping the elders and pulling jokes to ease their fatigues. But this time around, her petite and bubbly friend is nowhere to be found, no matter how far her eyes go in the vast farm, Taeyeon’s presence is completely blank.

 

“I wonder why Taengoo didn’t come today…” Tiffany sighed, now on cleaning her muddy feet and arms together with the other farmers as they finished their daybreak farming.

 

 “Why Fany, you miss her already?” Her grandmother came and teased that caused a little laughter among them.

 

“Y-yah grandma! It’s n-not like that! I’m just worried that m-maybe something happened to her!” Tiffany blushed and barely uttered.

 

“Fine. I was just teasing you, my dear. Don’t get too worked up.” Her grandmother giggled at her flustering expressions then said, “That’s enough. Go and call Jessica. Our lunch is ready.”

 

Tiffany stomped her feet away from the amused elders, pouting as she brooded at their playful teases. No one has ever cleared or clarified her close bond with Taeyeon, not even Tiffany herself, whether it’s a blooming romantic love or just an ordinary close friendship they have. For the reason that Tiffany doesn’t want to jump into conclusions, she never spoke anything about it. But because of the continuous teases they get from the villagers, bit by bit, Taeyeon’s feelings are growing evidently to which Tiffany has been trying to overlook all the time.

 

“Jessica! The lunch is ready.” Tiffany knocked onto her doors but got no response, not even a faith noise. So she knocked again but louder, “Jessica! I said the lunch is ready!”

 

Still there’s no response coming out from Jessica. This made Tiffany’s doubts grow bigger. In fact, Jessica hasn’t come out of her room since the morning they woke up and also didn’t join them for breakfast. Knowing that Jessica is a sleepyhead, Tiffany thought she just overslept and skipped breakfast on purpose but now that Tiffany realized, she never heard anything from Jessica yet since they all woke up in the house.

 

“I’m going to open the door now.” Tiffany said as she got the spare key of the locked door.

 

Tiffany cautiously opened the door and there she found the lights are on despite of having a light of day. The electric fan is still revolving and it almost overheated due to worn-out. When she opened the door wider after getting enough peeking through the small gap she made, there she saw Jessica sleeping while she’s sitting with her head resting on her working table, on top of her piled papers and low battery laptop. Her clothes were the same as of yesterday, indicating that this woman worked her soul out the whole night until the morning came.

 

“Seriously Jessica, you overworked yourself. Look at you; you fell asleep while working since last night.”

 

At first, Tiffany smiled at Jessica’s sleeping figure but as she strode a step closer, she had a full view of Jessica’s face hiding underneath her covered in sweat hair. She’s panting lowly, her hot breaths are sending off to the air and sweat soaking her back, all the way to her chest. By just looking at her physical condition, Tiffany immediately touched her forehead and her hand almost burned from the heat that Jessica’s emitting.

 

“Oh my God!” Tiffany gasped and again anxiously touched Jessica by her cheeks then to her neck and hands. “You’re burning in fever!”

 

“S-sorry. I’m fine. I just… need… some more… sleep…” Jessica shoved Tiffany’s hands off her shoulders and tries to stand up by herself but somehow she ended up losing her balance then stumbled on the floor with her failing body.

 

“No! You’re not!” Tiffany scolded as she pulled her up from the floor and gently helps her to the bed. “Why did you let your fever be this high? You should have told me about it when you started feeling bad! What if I didn’t come to your door? Then you’re probably dead by now!”

 

“Sorry.” The chilling Jessica said with her quivering voice.

 

Tiffany feels that her emotions are raging up high, as high as Jessica’s fever but these emotions aren’t something that she never thought would come to her heart. She’s indeed mad yet she’s worried, she’s definitely annoyed that Jessica didn’t speak up about her condition earlier yet she feels responsible and she’s certainly upset to see Jessica in such state but then she wants to take care of her like a newly born baby. All these emotions came into Tiffany and she expected nothing from the start, but in the end, she turned out to be someone she never thought she would be.

 

“Take this. It will help you cool down your fever. Really, I can’t believe you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter