Chapter 10: When You're Looking Like That

Crossing Borders
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 10 When You're Looking Like That

 

Words and acts may lie and sugarcoat the truth, but those eyes filled with emotions can’t. Words and acts may be deceiving for the eyes and only people with an emotional link can penetrate to those hideous sensitive expressions. This kind of connection, where one can see through the happiness or sadness, pain or joy of one another, only happens when there’s affection involved, an abundant and strong affection. Just one look, with just that one glimpse, their reality should be evident.

 

A decent bar along the silent night of the city, there Yuri decided to use her night life, alone and taking in all the depression within her heart. Though the bar’s interior is dim as there are only few lights brightening up from the ceiling, Yuri can vision her reflection so well from the glass walls behind the busy the bartender. From one glass to another, she takes a full shot of different kinds of costly wines in the bar and cares not of her surroundings where classy business people are having their own negotiations in their respective tables.

 

“Oh, look who’s here. It’s Yuri-unnie…”

 

Yuri looked to her right and she found Yoona occupying the seat right next to her as she also ordered wine from the bartender in front of them. “Why are you here? How did you know that I’ll be here? Are you following me?” She then blasted the smiling secretary with questions of suspicions.

 

“Why should I follow you unnie?” Yoona probed back as she walled herself from doubts. “I happen to stop by here. I only found out you’re here too when I saw your car parked outside.”

 

“I see.” Yuri exclaimed short and went back on enjoying her wine.

 

Yoona takes a glimpse on her wine and certainly, she noticed its alcohol content and it’s quite high compared to hers. She also observes the bottle which is now almost empty and that Yuri is already reddening due to drunkenness. If there’s a time when she has seen Yuri in such state, it’s when Jessica didn’t appear to their supposed to be first date years ago.

 

“Let me guess unnie.” Yoona spoke as she snatched away the bottle of wine from Yuri to avoid her from pouring another shot to her glass. “Is it because of Sica-unnie that you’re getting this drunk again?”

 

Chuckling due to her unstable state of mind, Yuri said, “You know Yoona, I really like the fact that we can call each other informally outside businesses. But let me tell you this, I only allowed you to call me that way because of Sica. If you’re not her junior back in college then I would have been so strict and harsh on you for always clinging around her.”

 

“I know that unnie but that doesn’t answer my queries though. You really are drunk now, aren’t you?” Yoona only laughed at Yuri’s random drunken retorts.

 

The second time Yuri called the bartender she ordered a glass of water to simmer down her heating body somehow. As she dropped down the glass, she disclosed, “Yeah, it’s Sica that’s why I’m like this. Everything’s just so damn messed up right now. Well, as expected from the Jungs’ family.”

 

“Can I guess one more time?” The excited secretary put her index finger up across Yuri’s unstable vision. “You’re kind of worried with her relationship with Tiffany Hwang, right?”

 

“Why is she so accommodating when it comes to Tiffany Hwang? Sica doesn’t even know anything about her, especially her past. She knows nothing of Tiffany Hwang and yet they’re that close? What the hell is with that? What did Sica see in her?” Yuri snapped with her wobbling vocal sound.

 

Yoona follows after a sip of her wine, “You’re right. Sica-unnie called a while ago by the way. It seems like she’ll let Tiffany Hwang stay at their mansion too.” She said, not helping Yuri’s obstructions to ease at all.

 

“And just this afternoon, Tyler called me regarding his partnership with Sica and that they are planning on asking for her hand for marriage. That’s a pure bull! Tyler knows about my feelings for Sica and yet he’s stepping on me! Damn! What’s wrong with this world? Tiffany and now Tyler? Why is this happening to me?” Yuri angered with multiple as she slammed the glass against the furnished bar.

 

Yuri just had unconsciously and aimlessly roared out her frustrations as a result of her drunkenness. Shortly her tears started flowing out of her stressful eyes then took another shot of a newly ordered wine. The excitement in Yoona’s face vanished when Yuri’s defeat became more apparent as her killer glares are throwing daggers to a space, probably thinking of how her love life twisted in a miserable with the most complicated way ever.

 

“It’s because you love the wrong person unnie. Of all people, you chose a billionaire with a complicated life. That’s your prize for not looking at the people around you and only considering Sica-unnie.” Yoona commented as she sighed while circling the ice cubes inside her glass full of wine.

 

Before Yuri could give more arguments and voice out more of her frustrations, she loses her consciousness as head drops straight onto Yoona’s shoulders. She mumbled, “Tiffany Hwang, I’ll blow off that smile… just so you wait… you… hooker…” on her half-sleep.

 

Yoona patted her head like a baby she’s putting on a sleep then she whispered to the snoozing woman’s ears, “That’s your fault unnie. You keep on looking at the wrong way when in fact there’s the right way just beside you who’s willing to love you too, more than anything else.”

 

Later that night, the rain started pouring heavy like what the weather forecast had stated earlier that day. The rain is pouring so heavy that the road became impossible to view up ahead during a night drive. Thankfully, before the weather could turn into its worst condition, Jessica was able to drive back home safe, together with Tiffany who was attended by the servants that welcomed them.

 

“Welcome back home, Ms. Jessica.” The servants greeted their master, but not to this new face walking so close behind her.

 

“Isn’t this the first time that Ms. Jessica brought someone home? This never happened before! Who’s that woman?” A servant noted as he babbled to his fellow servant.

 

“Yeah, who’s that? She doesn’t look that rich like Ms. Kwon Yuri and yet Ms. Jessica is with her.”

 

“She must be a VIP guest of hers. Let’s just welcome her.”

 

These gossips didn’t go disregarded by Tiffany’s sensitive hearings. She just caught and known an important piece of fact regarding Jessica. “So, I’m her first…” She thought and hid a smile of accomplishment under her unsteady palms.

 

“Listen!” Jessica stood in the middle of the mansion as she shouted and so the servants and maids gathered around attentively. “This is Tiffany Hwang and she’ll be living with us. Please do take care of her too. If I found out that one of you bullies her or even tries to lay a hand on her, you know what will happen.” She then warned everyone and threw them the deadliest glare on Earth.

 

“Hey Jessi, you don’t have to be that hard on them. I’m fine with anything. Actually it doesn’t matter if I’ll do some house chores too since I’m used to be working all day.” Tiffany whispered closely from behind.

 

Jessica turned to her and breathed. “No Fany! They have to treat you like how you treated me with care back in the village. Just shut up and listen to me!” She firmly said with a commanding look and Tiffany just stood there, nodding as she got nothing to say more.

 

From the second floor, Krystal can vision how her sister is instructing the servants one by one and warning them. She couldn’t help but to let out quiet titters as she says, “Wow, Jess is so protective. She treats Fany-unnie like a princess. People might think she’s her lover.”

 

Coming in from the mansion’s garden to where Jessica and Tiffany stand is the master of them all, the billionaire father of the Jung sisters. All the servants make way for him while some went back to work to avoid whatever’s coming next. Krystal on the second floor has gone on alert from her once pleased state while Jessica eyed on him in tremor as she didn’t expect for their father’s presence any time that day. Tiffany, on the other hand, met with his eyes which gave her so much impact and pressure that she almost felt weak on her knees.

 

“He’s scary!” Tiffany thought as she broke the eye contact first to stop the nervousness that’s punching hard by her heart.

 

“Dad, you’re here.” Jessica clumsily smiled as she gave him a peck on his cheeks for a greeting.

 

The father fakes his cough, an indirect order for Tiffany to look at him but it didn’t work for the timid woman. So he was forced to asked, “Who’s this special guest of ours Jessica? As far as I can remember, it’s my first time to see you having a guest to stay in. This never happened before.”

 

“G-good evening, sir. I’m Tiffany Hwang.” Tiffany introduced in haste as she took a quick glance to the head then looks back down in a split second.

 

“She’s from the village, dad.” Jessica followed up for a cover, remaining in front of her nervous visitor. “I stayed in their place for quite a long time. Recently, I found out that she’s here in the city to take care of some personal private matters. I offered her to stay here for free as a gratitude for helping us to finish our project while I was under their care. I insisted so she has no choice but to come with me.”

 

“You’re a good liar Jess. What personal private things are you talking about? She’s here because of you.” Krystal pointed out with a smirk creeping up from one side of her lip while observing the conversation down the first floor.

 

The father, of course, finds it hard to believe for Jessica is showing some obvious signs of dishonest. For example, the way her eyes are unsteadily looking straight into his eyes is a perfect sign. The father nonetheless was shocked, more than shocked as of those servants who also noticed that it’s Jessica’s first time to bring someone home with her and furthermore, it’s his first time to suspect his daughter lies. Only that the father is way too professional and well-trained to hide all these doubts and showed nothing but a loud exhalation.

 

“Really? Then I won’t mind. Welcome to our mansion, Ms. Hwang.” The father declared.

 

“T-thank you very much.” Tiffany bowed down and Jessica smiled triumphant.

 

“By the way, I almost forgot what I was about to tell you Jessica.” The father suddenly said as he walked in circles around the two uneasy women. “I came back earlier because I have some important things to fix and to tell you personally.”

 

Jessica creased her eyebrows for she knows exactly what coming next, good news is for the father but not for the daughter. Jessica always anticipates words that would crumble her apart each time their father talks to her and this one doesn’t differ from all. Krystal also grew tense when their father voiced like that, deep and husky like what he does every time he’s so into something.

 

“Do you remember Tyler Kwon?” The father started off with a short question.

 

“Yeah. I’ve met him few times back then but never this past year.” Jessica answered, looking into a blank space far from the father’s stance.

 

The father stopped from his walks and stood up behind them as he said, “He’ll be coming here in our country soon. I was able to talk with him when I was in overseas and asked him to help you promote with your project. With Tyler as your partner, you will be getting millions of attention not only locally but internationally. He also pointed out and expressed his desires and personal interest on you, my daughter. You know what I mean, don’t you?”

 

“Personal interest!?” Tiffany almost let out a loud gasp but luckily, she was able to cover her half-opened mouth with her hands.

 

Tiffany stepped a little forward to go beside Jessica for her to see how she reacted to the disclosure. She saw nothing but blank expression written all over Jessica’s face, not smiling, not frowning and not shocked at all, just her neutral cold face. However, Jessica’s eyes are shouting the opposite, shouting “No way!” in which Tiffany watchfully distinguished. Ogling closer and deeper behind those unstable eyes, Tiffany recognized well that Jessica is mad and sad at the same time.

 

Jessica truly feels like raging deep inside her but with her father that’s in front of her, she helplessly affirmed, “I understand, dad. I’ll meet him soon.”

 

Tiffany was upset and this caused her to glare nearer at Jessica’s expressionless face. Well, more like she got maddened on how Jessica replied without even questioning more or complaining at all. What Tiffany disliked the most is that Jessica just stood there like a robot that’s out of battery to fight back. Surely, this frustrated Tiffany who still knows not much of what’s going on between the father and the daughter.

 

“That’s ridiculous!” Krystal roared coming down from the second floor using her feet that are getting heavier due to anger. And the moment she arrived in between them, she faced her father then shouts to him, “You’re going overboard dad! I can tolerate that you’ll let my sister be partnered with Tyler for business purposes but personal interest? You’ve got to be kidding me!”

 

“Stop it Krys.” Jessica tried to stop by pulling her out but the wrathful young shrugged her sister off.

 

“You too Jess!” Krystal continues on yelling and this time to her sister who’s vulnerable. “Why the hell are you agreeing with him? C’mon! You completely understood what he meant right? For God’s sake Jess! You’re fine with that?”

   

“Enough!” Jessica shouted at her sister, for the first time after so long that she couldn’t even remember when the last time she yelled to her face was.

 

Krystal was totally silenced by this act as she shared flaring stares with her sister. Just like Tiffany, Krystal was able to see something through those eyes, behind that pretentious blank face of Jessica. There’s a pain and sadness all over it which Jessica’s hiding so well, almost as good as how her father hid his astonishment a while ago.

 

“Fine…” Krystal sighed in defeat. “Do what you want Jess.” She then marched away from them.

 

“Oh my God, what’s going on?” The confused guest could only watch them, speechless and dumfounded of what’s happening. When the father walked away without even stopping his daughters and without even trying to go in between, Tiffany got even more confused.

 

“Sorry Fany. You just saw something that you shouldn’t be.” Jessica voiced out with a smile she forced out and it startled Tiffany who’s drowned in confusion.

 

“Jessi…” Tiffany softly hissed. “Why didn’t you—“

 

“Servants!” Jessica calls out to the workers cut off Tiffany from whatever she’s about to ask. “ her to a guest room beside mine since she might get lost along her way again. Make sure everything’s set. Now, do like what I instructed you to do earlier.”

 

“Yes ma’am.” The servants obeyed.

 

“Don’t worry. I called Sulli a while ago and told her that you’ll be staying with me from now on. Your things left in her place will also be delivered later. You can go and rest for a while. I know you’re tired too.” Jessica said but with her back facing Tiffany as she distanced herself a little far from her.

 

Tiffany is failing to pinpoint whatever Jessica’s feeling at the moment for her voice sounds no tone, especially now that Jessica is showing her back. This irritated Tiffany and she couldn’t hide it to anyone and let this irritation be visible to all the workers pacing around the mansion.

 

“Ma’am, this way to your room. Please follow me.” The servant came back after a double check of Tiffany’s room to fetch Tiffany and her all the way.

 

Tiffany breathed heavily before complying with the request. She deliberately passed near Jessica and muttered, “I really hate you Jessi.” Jessica heard her clear and she only smirked painfully under her dangling permed hair.

 

That rainy night, in the meantime, the stage play crew altogether gathered on a diner somewhere along the shopping district. Sulli, together with her seniors, instructors and other characters decided to go out for a late dinner after a full-time rehearsal they did the whole day. The heavy rain made it more impossible for Sulli to go anywhere and escape from all the half-drunken crew members. She got no umbrella and the worst, her phone is dead. She never planned to go along with them but because of too much insisting from them, she got no choice but to tag along.

 

“Where’s Luna?” Minho asked the rumbled Sulli beside him as he offered foods in front of her empty plate.

 

“Ah, she went home first since she has to finish some of her assignments. She wanted to come too but it’s unfortunate that she has to hold back.” Sulli explained to her friend, her only friend that’s not yet drunk like any of those who are around them.

 

“How will you go home then?” Minho continues on asking. “The rain is pretty heavy outside.”

 

“I guess I have to wait for it to stop. I can’t possibly call Luna-unnie to fetch me since I don’t want to trouble her.”

 

Sulli also thought of calling Krystal and ask for help yet again but the thought of calling her and asking for Minho’s phone for her to use won’t make things better. Ever since the time that she secretly watched Krystal grumbling and cursing at the parking lot while she waits for her, she concluded that Krystal really hates Minho, like how she hates Kai too. In the end, she called no one for help and stayed with the crew a little longer than she planned.

 

“Hey Choi Sulli! Why aren’t you taking a shot?” A senior laughed and forcibly handed a glass full of liquor to the innocent Sulli.

 

“W-well… I don’t drink… and I never tried it before…” Sulli reasoned out but they wooed her.

 

“Really? Then today’s your chance to try it young lady! You should at least try it once in your life! Try it! I bought it for you!” The instructor cheered and all followed.

 

“A glass won’t harm you.” Minho whispered. “Once you complied once, they’ll surely stop bugging you. They also asked me to drink one a while and I did. Look, I’m completely fine.” He then reassured the hesitant woman.

 

Sulli swallowed big before she forced herself to take all the liquor, pushing it all inside . She felt hot and that her chest is burning because of its alcohol content. She held her breath to evade the taste but it’s no use and she shut closed her eyes to distract herself from all those amused eyes watching her. She took the glass in one shot to end the game at once which surprised Minho with his jaw dropping literally at the sight.

 

“Whew, that felt like nightmare.” Sulli coughed then shook her head to release the aroma and taste off her.

 

“Wow! You’re a good drinker! One more time!” Their amazed senior again poured Sulli’s glass without asking for consent and without warning, he just poured another glass-full.

 

Sulli just watched her glass poured in regret. She respired loud as they even put some finger foods perfect for her liquor in front of her, replacing her empty plate with it and tempting her to take more shots. As if these people are using her weakness and helplessness, they chanted into her face. Everyone knows well that Sulli is the type of woman who can’t refuse to people’s requests, particularly to these rich spoiled people she’s hanging out with.

 

“You don’t have to force yourself Sulli. You can just ignore it.” Minho said.

 

“C’mon Sulli. Our instructor paid for these! Don’t waste it! Don’t listen to Minho! Now that you’re getting along with the whole stage play crew, are you going to break our unity?” They all said consecutively and some eagle-eyed on Minho so he shut his mouth.

 

Afraid of the possibility that she might get bullied again and that the bullying might make a comeback if she doesn’t comply with their wants, Sulli undesirably retorted, “Okay! Okay! I’ll take it!”

 

“I’ll be fine.” Sulli thought to herself before she accepted the little fun from her newly found friends, at least for her. In a little while, after taking few more glasses, she’s starting to get dizzy and surprisingly going a little wild with her words that come out of in unsystematic. At the back of her mind, Sulli is complaining “What the hell am I talking about? What am I doing? Ssul, control yourself.” but she just kept on blabbering nonsense with her sobered words. None of these people around her would have thought that this woman has such a low tolerance and that the once conservative and pure woman can turn into a wild one when drunk.

 

“I think I need to drive her back home.” Minho volunteered after seeing Sulli’s head dropped down the table while mumbling to something that no one can comprehend.

 

“Sorry Minho. We didn’t know she’s that weak with liquors.”

 

“Here’s her home address. I kept it in case of emergency. You know, something bad might happen so I had all your addresses with me.” The instructor showed his phone and Minho copied it immediately.

 

Hence, Minho carried Sulli for a piggyback ride going straight to his car parked just in front of the diner. With the heavy rain hitting them hard, Minho quickly opened the door for Sulli and pushes her in the passenger’s seat with care. For a second, Minho sensed a camera flashing from behind them but when turned back to see where it came from, he only found this wet road with cars rushing everywhere and unfamiliar people running to find shelter for themselves.

 

“Maybe just my imagination…” Minho thought before running to the driver’s seat.

 

“Hmm… Krystal…” Sulli muffled low and afterwards she laughed like she’s being tickled on her waist. “Yah, Krystal… not there…” She then laughed and shoved no one beside her, probably imagining Krystal flirting with her.

 

When Minho realized this, he felt embarrassed and concluded cackling, “So she likes Krystal Jung, huh? This Choi Sulli sure is something when drunk. I can’t believe this.”

 

While on the way, Sulli keeps on saying Krystal’s name, sometimes loud and sometimes on a whisper. Whenever she says her name out loud, she sounded angry and jealous but whenever she says her name in a whisper, she sounds like that she matched with her faint breathings from a pleasure she’s feeling inside her wildest imaginations. These awkward words and movements from Sulli made Minho to become so uncomfortable with his driving and the worst he experienced was that Sulli accidentally swung her arms to his stomach while laughing with Krystal’s name. Overall, the ride all the way back to their apartment entertained Minho who never saw this side of Sulli when they’re at the university.

 

“Thank you for driving her back.” Luna immediately ran to them and got Sulli from Minho’s piggyback ride. “Aish,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter