Chapter 4: Life On A Twist

Crossing Borders
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 4 Life On A Twist

 

Experience is the best teacher, only that test comes before the lesson. The good thing about it is that the test comes with a great difficulty and adversity yet the lesson learned from it develops into a great advantage and benefit. Even so, the bad thing is that there are a lot of naïve people that take their experiences for granted, especially for the first time experiences that only happen once in a lifetime. Unknown to these people, the true meaning of life is discovered within these precious experiences that they inevitably undergo.

 

However, there are two wealthy sisters that aren’t as ignorant as any typical people as they let their experience be their teacher for their growth. And there are also dreamers who take their experiences as their guide. They live their lives conversely; still these reverses also share something in common that neither of them is aware of it just yet.

 

“Our village is approximately four to five hours away from the metropolitan area. Some roads aren’t cemented and some infrastructures are unfinished. As you can see, the roadsides are fields and not business establishments and the air is completely different. The air is fresher and less polluted which makes countryside a better place to relax. I heard from Ms. Kwon that it’s your first time and asked me to orient you. So, welcome to the countryside Ms. Jung. Our village is up ahead and it won’t take long until we reach it. Please bear with it.” The village chief on drive briefly inducted the ignorant billionaire.

 

Jessica, sitting on the back seat of the van, attentively listened to the short introduction from the chief. Sighting the green fields and the vast spaces in between small houses truly made her temperate for a while but because of the fact that she's on an old cranky van, the calm didn’t take long before it vanished. The driving isn’t stable because of the rocky road and the air eventually turned dusty. As much as Jessica tries hard not to complain by keeping mum, Tiffany who seated in front can see her expression getting darker each meter they take on through the front mirror of the van. The way Jessica crossed her arms, those eyebrows that almost meet on her nose bridge and her stiffed sitting position made it more apparent that she's uncomfortable and all of these were intently checked by Tiffany’s sharp senses and observations.

 

“Are you okay? Shall we take a rest? There's a waiting shed ahead of us. Maybe we can pull over for a while.” Tiffany speaks out of her concern for the uneasy billionaire.

 

“No, thanks.” There’s an immediate rejection from Jessica, vague and impassive. Wanting to avoid Tiffany’s existence at all cost, she diverted her concentration then went back to the chief and asks, “Is it true that signals don’t reach your village?”

 

“Unfortunately, yes. That’s why we don’t use mobile phones or smartphones in our village because it’s useless. It’s hard to communicate with our relatives in the metropolitan area too because of it. We still need to write letters and mail them. We also need to wait around two to three days before we can receive a letter too. The mailing process takes long because of our location. We’re on a remote area so I heard they mail our letters last at post offices.” The chief explained.

 

“Transportation is pretty hard too. The bus stop is a little far from our place and only a few passes by there.” Tiffany followed up.

 

“I'm not talking to you. Why do you keep on butting in?” Jessica abruptly barked at Tiffany as she bent out her anger towards her.

 

“I'm just trying to expound the chief’s words and I’m just trying to help. I'm only doing my job.” Tiffany answered back in a calm and nice way, trying not to make any more excessive quarrels with the billionaire.

 

“Well, well…” The chief interrupted their quarrel as he merrily chuckled at the current scene going on inside his cranky van. “I'm surprised that the two of you get along so well despite of meeting for the first time today. Shall we take a break like what Tiffany suggested? Let’s cool off for a minute.”

 

“We’re not close!” The two disagreed in unison with their loud mouths and they both ended up sharing gazes that travel from head to foot.

 

For the first time, Jessica’s lips got sealed and got nothing in mind to fight back for protection, only that she gave Tiffany her last deathly glare before breaking the intense eye contact. Jessica talked no more as she let her exasperated mind be free from all her stresses and continues on viewing the grasslands and blue sky while Tiffany howled in frustration over her own attitudes and job performance. Tiffany feels so guilty for she knows for herself that she’s been considerably rude since their endless disputes at their mansion and not to mention, their fight over the first kiss eventually turned into a pointless, useless and unnecessary exchange of yells.

 

“Damn…” Tiffany silently groaned on her seat at the thought of making such a huge mistake, especially of knowing that Jessica is a billionaire and she’s just a mere villager. Embarrassment coated her even more when the thought of giving a high class woman her first ever kiss crossed over, causing her to shrink on her seat and talked nothing more like Jessica did.

 

If the two older women are still on their small childish acts, the younger ones are steadily beginning to associate with each other. Since the morning when Sulli was saved by Krystal, the bullying temporarily paused. None of the bullies who usually block Sulli’s ways dared to walk close to her or even a shout of her name. Nothing happened at all, which Sulli finds so peaceful yet weird. She has used to her life getting bullied all the time that getting none for the day makes her feel odd.

 

“Milk chocolate and one croissant please.” A woman ordered to Sulli who’s on duty at the cafeteria.

 

“Yes. Right away.” Sulli cheerfully obeyed.

 

“Krystal loves meat and bread.” The woman exclaimed and smiled at the confused Sulli.

 

“Excuse me?” Sulli asked in disarray.

 

“I heard the two of you talking earlier today after she saved you from those bullies, about making her lunch. I'm Suzy by the way, one of Krystal’s friends. We’re on the same class too. Sorry if some our companions out there bullied you last time here. I was with them actually but believe me I’m not interested with their troubles so I just let them.” Suzy willingly introduced herself and forced Sulli for a handshake as she grabbed her gloved hand.

 

“Ah, yeah.” Sulli shyly smiled back at her but then she thought, “If you’re not interested then you should have at least stopped them.”

 

“Like what I was saying, Krystal loves meat so much and sometimes she eats bread for lunch. Krystal is also picky when it comes to her drinks. She hates carbonated drinks. Don’t forget to put desserts too. She’ll definitely look for one afterwards.” Suzy said one by one as Sulli brought out a pen and a piece of paper.

 

“Meat… bread… desserts…” Sulli jotted down everything that Suzy informed, not missing anything from what she said. A contented smile formed on her lips for she finally has a little bit of knowledge about Krystal’s preferences and these facts saved her from deep and focused thinking. “Thank you very much. It’s a great help. I’ll go look for recipes later.”

 

“You better make it good and don’t disappoint my friend. No one has ever made a lunch box for Krystal before so you’re her first. Don’t mess it up.” Suzy warned before she left with her orders.

 

“No one, huh? Her parents must be so busy to make one for her.” Sulli mumbled to herself at the speculation.

 

Whereas Sulli is diligently working and studying at the same time, there is her hero doing her usual deed. After saving Sulli from all the trouble, Krystal discarded all her classes again and went to hide at her favorite hideout, Amber’s art studio. Krystal started working on her own artwork as she set up her canvass. With her earphones plugged, she ignored the world including Amber whom she didn’t notice walking back and forth in front of her. Her focus is fixed on her brush and on the image being created from her skilled hand and wild imaginations circulating in her mind.

 

“I knew she will be here again. She sure is good at escaping that I lost sight on her.” Victoria barged into the studio and found Krystal on her seat, so fixated on her work.

 

“Sorry unnie. I tried convincing her to attend her classes but she just won’t listen to me. At the same time, I don’t want to force her too and kick her out. If I did then surely Krystal will be alone, especially now that her sister is out of town.” Amber clarified apologetic.

 

“I tried forcing her to attend her classes because I’m just afraid of what their father can do to her if he finds out her behaviors while he’s away. Sooner or later, their father might do something unimaginable. We all know how strict and tight he is when it comes to their family’s reputations and name.” Victoria explained her side and both of them just pitiably watched Krystal from behind.

 

Meanwhile, it didn’t take long when Jessica with her company arrived at their destination. The villagers all eyed the van making its way directly to Tiffany’s home and some villagers followed the van from behind which includes Taeyeon who is also eager to see the visitor that will live with Tiffany. Jessica confirmed the chief’s description about the village using her own judgments. It is indeed quiet with a fresher air compared to the polluted city, the people around look stress-free and more cheerful than the city people and unlike the city that’s full of tall buildings and business establishments, the village only have low houses and small stores around.

 

“We’re here.” Tiffany announced.

 

“Welcome back Tiffany.” Her grandmother greeted upon seeing Tiffany coming down the van with the chief and Jessica behind her. After giving her a warm tight embrace she asked, “So, where’s our visitor?”

 

Jessica took the initiative and stepped forward to meet the elder with a dazzling smile on her thin lips and greeted, “Hi. It’s so nice to meet you. I’m Jessica Jung.”

 

She extended her hand for a handshake like any businesswoman would do but the charming elder caught her around her arms and embraced her like how she did to Tiffany. Jessica had a shocked and clumsy look on her face and hesitantly returned the hug. Though she can smell an undesirable odor coming from the elder farmer of the village caused by a mixture of her sweat and the heat of the sun, she still manages to set aside her sensitive senses to handle the situation skillfully.

 

“Welcome to our village Ms. Jessica Jung.” The grandmother patted Jessica’s back.

 

“Y-yeah. Thank you for the warm welcome.” Jessica awkwardly laughed then scowled at Tiffany who is snorting merrily at the side.

 

Concerned villagers were also seen helping the chief on putting down Jessica’s heavy luggage and bags then setting it all inside Tiffany’s home. The unity of the people amazed Jessica as she watched them from afar standing beside the elder she just met and by that time, Tiffany took the opportunity to talk with the frustrated chief towards her performance at her work.

 

“Chief.” Tiffany called onto him. And when he turned to her, she immediately bowed down and said, “I’m so sorry for all the commotion and misunderstandings today. I’ll make sure to assist and guide Ms. Jung without making any more fights. I promise.”

 

“I don’t know what really happened between the two of you since you refuse to talk about it but you really should fix yourself. Remember, she’s a billionaire and she can do anything to you, and to our village if in case. Treat her nicely and she might start to like you, okay? Don’t do anything unnecessary and act accordingly. Help her with the research she’s doing if needed.” The chief gave her the utmost advice.

 

“Yes, chief. I’m sorry.” Tiffany once again bent down remorseful.

 

“It’s alright. I’ll be leaving now and I’ll leave the rest to you. We already put all her things inside your place. The rest is up to you now.” He said.

 

The chief left and Tiffany profoundly exhaled in relief. She wobbly walked back to her precious visitor, only to see that she’s being surrounded with villagers eager to know her more as they throw her random questions. Jessica felt weary with all these funky and foul-smelled villagers pressing onto her and her appearance is getting darker each second. For all that, Jessica didn’t explicitly showed her aggravation rather she talked joyously with smile to the villagers, shaking their hands continuously as if she’s a politician running for a higher position and even accepting their small welcome gifts from the glad villagers.

 

“So that’s your visitor. Jessica, huh? She looks like a high class woman with the way she stands. She has a perfect poise and a soft voice too.” Taeyeon approached Tiffany watching her from a distance.

 

“Soft voice, you say… I’m quite not sure about that.” Tiffany puffed and recalled how Jessica screamed like a dolphin when they first met.

 

“I'll come back some time after you guys have settled down. I know there are still a lot of things to do and so am I.” Taeyeon said.

 

“Sorry Taengoo. I'll let you meet her some other time when everything’s fine.” Tiffany expressed regret and so her understanding friend marched away at the scene.

 

Once the noises increased at Jessica’s side, Tiffany returned her attention back to her position. The villagers gradually increased and surrounded Jessica, pressing on her harder and their curiosity grew larger. Stepping forward to stop their feast on the visitor, Tiffany stood in front of Jessica and slightly pushed back her fellow villagers to give Jessica some space for herself.

 

“Okay everyone. I know you’re all willing to talk with our visitor but not for today. Well, you see, she’s tired from the long travel and she needs some rest. I understand you want to know her more but let her settle down for a while and maybe she can come to greet you all.” Tiffany politely said using her eye smile to convince the villagers.

 

“Hey, why are you deciding for me?” Jessica confided in a hoarse, protesting Tiffany’s own decisions.

 

“Just trust me in this, will you?” Tiffany hissed back to her and Jessica no longer debated.

 

The billionaire is unexpectedly being pushed back by someone from a low class with her personality. For the first time, Jessica encountered a person who can defy and neglect her without second thoughts. She has never experienced someone mocking to her reasoning and childish arguments not until Tiffany came into the picture of her life.

 

As all the villagers dispersed and left Jessica alone, Tiffany shifted to her and said, “C'mon. Let’s go inside and fix your things. After that, we'll be having our lunch. Grandma prepared some. I'm fully aware that you live an extravagant life but we can’t possibly give you something as luxurious as what you always get in your place. If in your place they prepare more than ten dishes for your daily meals, in here having two to three is already a blessing. Please do adjust for us and we will adjust for you too. That will make us equal.”

 

“Of course I know that. You don’t have to remind me. And who are you to talk about equality Ms. Hwang, you who ually harassed me inside our own mansion?” Jessica raised an eyebrow.

 

Jessica formed a confident smirk, thought that she could win the argument this time around but it didn’t happen for Tiffany avoided her allegations and replied with, “Shall we go inside? I have to show you around and help you settle at your room.”

 

Tiffany successfully turned the tables. It was Jessica who felt offended from her evasion as she felt that her competence was stomped by an ordinary person. This maddened Jessica even more but was left no choice but to follow Tiffany from behind, leading her the way inside the small shelter. As they walk towards Tiffany’s place, a chicken suddenly came, flying from the other side as it crosses over Jessica, making her to freak out and froze on her stand. Tiffany looked back from the sudden noise as Jessica’s dolphin-like scream emitted to her eardrums that it almost damaged.

 

“As expected from a rich spoiled woman, is this your first time to see chickens flying around?” Tiffany sighed and she attended to the crying in fear Jessica but definitely not touching her for she’s afraid of further false charges against her.

 

“I’m scared! Just do something! Please!” Jessica cried low and tugged the ends of Tiffany’s shirt with her trembling hands, asking for an implied help.

 

Tiffany smiled at the sight of Jessica crying like a small kid, smiling not because she enjoys the view of her having a hard time but she’s smiling because Jessica finally asked her a favor for the first time since the morning they met. After ignoring her helping hand throughout the morning, Jessica finally said

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter