Chapter 13: Decisions and Resolutions

Crossing Borders
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 13 Decisions and Resolutions

 

There are no right or wrong decisions and choices. The rights and the wrongs only exist because of people’s different standpoints, beliefs and opinions. Because of these different perspectives that each people possess, everyone gets separated as a clear straight line, a one great wall divides them. It can generate conflict and great sacrifices upon choosing that they think is right, what the best is, for they may lose some or may gain some. Everyone also has to struggle and undergo dilemma especially when making choices. But still, despite of all these battles, one has to make a decision and have this one solid resolution.

 

In this one small isolated village, residents always remind themselves to smile, to shower themselves with positivity and to always make their darkest days brighter. Villagers in this place believe that a one single smile can change one’s mood, but this night won’t be the case. That one night when all are in their respective homes to settle down for a complete rest, Taeyeon, together with the adopted kids and Tiffany’s grandmother, are sharing this one momentous night full of laughter.

 

“The prince then proposed to the one poor woman and asked her hand for marriage. The woman teared but the prince immediately wiped it off for her. So, the woman said ‘yes’, making her newly found prince to cry too. All celebrated for them, for the love that not even wealth and richness defeated, a love that’s genuine won the battle. And they live happily ever after…” Taeyeon read aloud this short story book which she brought from her home.

 

By the living room of Tiffany’s house, there the kids kindly listen to the love story as they all cling onto Taeyeon’s petite figure and some sat on her lap. The grandmother can only watch them in paradise for these kids have been smiling seldom since Tiffany left the house.

 

“Oh, they’re asleep. That’s quite fast.” Taeyeon noticed this when no one reacted to the ending of her story telling.

 

“Thank you, Taeyeon. You always look after the kids for us.” The grandmother approaches to give the kids their warm blanket and then she helps Taeyeon on carrying all of them back to their room.

 

Seconds later, just after Taeyeon stabled the kids in their room and the grandmother is also preparing herself for bed, the house’s front door opened wide. Taeyeon at first was terrified for she knows that the door was supposed to be locked close yet it still opened wide like that. But when the grandmother recognizes this stance from the late night invader, they didn’t calm down; instead they got more bewildered at the sight.

 

“Fany?” Taeyeon strolled nearer to Tiffany who unexpectedly arrived with all her bags. “W-what are you doing here?” She probed in confusion.

 

“What do you mean what I’m doing here? Of course I’m here; it’s my house after all.” Tiffany grunted at her confounded inquiry as she went in her own house after such a while of missing it.

 

The way that Tiffany smiled at Taeyeon, the grandmother quickly sensed something’s off with her eye smile princess. Tiffany’s cheeks are outwardly dropping, her loud self isn’t present rather than her silent unusual side came into that door and forced a smile and her eyes are still reddish, an indication that she recently cried. Tiffany thought they wouldn’t notice these obvious changes from her as she’s keeping herself from that sugarcoated eye smile of hers while fixing her bag on the couch.

 

The grandmother nodded at Taeyeon, giving her a signal that she’ll leave Tiffany under her examinations as she went to her room for a night rest. And when there are only two of them left in the living room, Taeyeon cautiously tests, sitting beside Tiffany, “What’s wrong? Did something happen in the city?”  

 

Tiffany shook off her head, pretentiously setting her clothes out of her bag on the wooden seats while avoiding Taeyeon’s sincere gazes then whispered, “Nothing. I just needed to come back home. I have nothing to do in there anymore so I came back immediately. How are the kids by the way? Have they fallen asleep?”

 

“They just did…” Taeyeon answered but half-hearted since she still doubts those fake smiles and mean jolliness from Tiffany’s terrible voice that’s deep and cranky.

 

Tiffany nodded, “Thank you, Taengoo. I’ll repay you with all these things you’ve done for my family.”

 

Taeyeon felt more frustrated and saddened seeing Tiffany acting so tough in front of her, lying with her emotions in front of her and desperately dodging this certain topic which Taeyeon was expecting to come out of Tiffany’s mouth. Knowing this woman for so long to the point they’re inseparable now, Tiffany should have known that nothing can be hidden from this midget friend.

 

“I recently found out that Jessica’s family is a billionaire owning Jung Group of Companies.” Taeyeon tried muttering and this sudden suppose from her effectively made Tiffany to pause on her useless movements.

 

“I… see…” Tiffany replied short and felt worse upon the mention of the name she doesn’t want to hear or to even think at the moment.

 

“So, how’s Je—“

 

“Stop it Taengoo!” Tiffany wailed out of the blue which took Taeyeon by surprise. She’s breathing heavily after that yell that unconsciously came out from her. “Not now, please?” She then begged.

 

“Fany…” Taeyeon tried patting her back but Tiffany elbowed her pats away.

 

Tiffany bit her lower lip hard as she faced her back to the concerned friend. She tried stopping her emotions that are trying to break out from her breathings but every breath she takes, it only gets worse. She just ends up remembering Jessica and that last moment with her at the gathering, how she was embarrassed with the wealthy spoiled people, how she was look in disgust by them and the time she stormed out of that big mansion without thinking twice of Jessica’s own emotions, her part.

 

“Sorry Taengoo…” Tiffany said ailing and was heard faintly sobbing from behind. She covered her face with her two unsteady palms then rejoinders in a throaty sound, “I’m so tired today. I immediately came back here after an event. Let’s just have a talk some other day, just not now. I don’t want to think of anything right now, if possible, not even Jessi.”

 

Taeyeon couldn’t stop her from marching away and went straight to her room as she loudly shut it closed. Taeyeon just stood there, feeling so pity towards the sugarcoated woman that’s filled with bitterness and hurtfulness that she initially failed to hide under those forced out smiles.

 

“Please Tiffany, don’t cry…” Tiffany begged to herself that’s feeling so vulnerable and sensitive.

 

The time Tiffany flicked the door close and let her weakening back slide down against it, there goes her tears that she have been holding on, she have been hiding the moment she stepped inside her own home. She can’t stop it, she can’t control these wavering destructive emotions any longer and just let all these all out, all alone on that cold floor as she curled herself while holding tight onto to silence her loud cries.

 

On the other hand, the mansion that Tiffany left without prior notice has turned into a deep remorseful silence, at least for the abandoned one. After the disastrous lunch gathering, Jessica refused to say more, rejected to accept further negotiations from their visitors and let the man Tyler handle it himself. She felt her voice cutting off and she failed to think straight as her thoughts can’t come together as one. Dejected and miserable, that’s how this billionaire woman is feeling at the moment of loneliness.

 

“Sica-unnie?” The cautious and sympathetic secretary who stayed after that terrible gathering makes an approach to the depressed Jessica.

 

The backyard’s light were all turned off, all set-ups were fixed and all returned to normal at the Jung’s mansion but still, Jessica stayed on that scene where every single revelation happened as she’s standing lifelessly and staring up blankly on the night sky covered with clouds, preparing for another heavy batch of rainfalls.

 

Without looking back to meet her secretary, Jessica reacted to her call, “Can you leave me alone Yoona? I don’t need anyone right now. Please, I just want to be alone tonight.” She then asked.

 

Yoona glowered at her request for she feels partly liable of what happened that noon and so she stopped from walking any closer to her. However, before she can leave like what was requested she pronounced from a distance, “Fany-unnie left a note on the guest room she used. She said, ‘Thank you for taking good care of me Jessi. And I’m sorry…’ That’s what was written on her note unnie. I left it on the dresser where she put it. I didn’t touch it too.”

 

Jessica didn’t bulge from her position, staying lifeless and acted uninterested of what she was informed. The helpless secretary sighed and got no any other choice but to leave her alone. Jessica was left alone in that dark backyard with this heavy burden inside her weary heart. And how she can handle it, is something that even herself doesn’t know how to, letting these emotions pull her down.

 

The considerate younger sister, meanwhile, didn’t bother herself approaching Jessica. She decided not to, not because she doesn’t want it but because she doesn’t know how for she, herself has never seen Jessica so downhearted and miserable before. She doesn’t know what to say, she doesn’t know how to comfort this dependable sister of hers and she can only give her a time to think all herself but thinking of this however also aggravates Krystal too.

 

“I’m not done talking with you yet Yuri!”

 

Krystal took a full break from her treads when she overheard Tyler’s voice arguing with his fellow Kwon. She located the voice and it’s coming from the kitchen where there are no servants present and that there are only two of them privately talking on that one particular area. The curious Krystal then decided to eavesdrop on them as she cautiously positioned herself behind the unlocked door.

 

“Why did you do that? What are thinking? You’re totally downgrading the name of Kwon from what you did! That was totally unprofessional and immature of you!” Tyler continues on ranting.

 

Thus, Yuri felt the urge to defend as she answered in a louder yell, “Yes, I may be out of my mind! I only did such thing for Sica to protect her from that damn low profile woman and from harm! I can be so immature and unprofessional if it’s for Sica! I don’t care if I downgraded myself for Sica! That’s how much I love her and how much I can sacrifice for her! Do you understand? Why Tyler, can you do the same for Sica? You keep on discussing with her father about marrying Sica when you can’t even do a little sacrifice for her! You didn’t even stop me back there, right? Instead, you just walked away and avoided! So, who’s unprofessional now Tyler?”

 

Tyler was kept mute with her offenses and only slammed the walls with his fist in response to her upsetting words. The two only threw death glares with each other as they use their sharp eyes to continue their wordless arguments and clashes. Not until Krystal revealed herself from hiding while clapping her hands in the air, the two turned around and were surprised to see Krystal walking towards them.

 

“That’s quite a heavy drama. The two of you could have won at Oscar’s if you’re nominated.” Krystal remarked, raising an eyebrow with the meanest smile she can give.

 

“What do you want?” Tyler asked in irritation.

 

Whistling Krystal crosses her arms then said, “The two of you are talking about unprofessionalism when in fact you’re just the same. One ran away, and one caused the commotion.”

 

“You’re just a student, you shouldn’t—“

 

“Shouldn’t in? Is that what you’re going to say Yuri-unnie?” Krystal cut her off and Yuri was taken aback with her harsh attitude. “You’re in our mansion so I have the right. And you, Yuri-unnie, you said that you did that to protect Jess from harm. Do you think you really did protect her? You just made things worse and you just made her miserable! Do you think embarrassing Tiffany-unnie and telling all those things in front of my sister can make her love you? Are you an idiot or something?” She then courageously confronted the older woman.

 

“Stop it Krystal, that’s too much!” Tyler scolded.

 

But this anger from the man didn’t stop Krystal for confrontations as she goes on, “And who are you to scold me? We’re not even related and let me remind you this, Mr. Tyler Kwon. I will never see you and accept you for my sister. If you only want to marry my sister to benefit your businesses and to get some shares from our family, you better drop if off because I and my sister will never accept the likes of you! And oh by the way, why don’t you let dad join this conversation of yours, a conversation among unprofessional people who left my sister getting embarrassed and broken on the spot?”

 

Krystal showed them her evilest and disturbing smirk before she victoriously marched out of the kitchen and left the stunned business people. To hear people talking about her sister, whenever these people treat her sister like a doll that they can control and use, it breaks her. It breaks her so much that she wants to push all these people out from this world.

 

Later that night, Sulli managed to go back to the apartment, so tired and beaten up, both from working for the stage play and from overthinking all herself. With her draining energy, she dropped her whole body straight to that hard bed and she couldn’t move anymore at all. She didn’t even notice the presence of her senior who has been patiently waiting for her after that infiltration she did at the Jung’s mansion.

 

“I understand you’re tired and I am too. I know that you’re practicing hard for the stage play that will take place soon but let’s get down to business first.” The impatient for reports, Luna, forcibly pulled Sulli up her bed and let her exhausting body sit up. Sitting on a chair across her she asks, “So, how did it go? Who’s the suspect? I was so worried about you!”

 

“It’s Suzy…” Sulli sluggishly murmured in her reply. “She posted those photos and I don’t know why. She said she wants to let Krystal know first about it and asked me to call her.”

 

“What? Are you serious?” In shock, Luna jolted up on her seat for a split second before going back to her original position. “Of all people who can do that, why Suzy? I mean, she’s Krystal’s friend and she eventually became nice and friendly to you too. Why would she do that?”

 

“Like I said unnie, I don’t know. I’m still confused too and of course I would like to know why. I was the one targeted with her wrongdoings yet she wanted to tell Krystal about it first.” Sulli groaned and went back on lying on her bed.  

 

Luna though still keeps on asking as she sat on the bedside this time, “Does that mean you have to tell Krystal about it soon too? Well, you’re the only authorized person who can call her like what she ordered. You better decide soon. You shouldn’t make this problem last longer.”

 

“Talk with Krystal, huh? It may be hard this time but I’ll try.” Sulli breathed but then she remembered something that made her up on her bed again, “Unnie, how was your mission at the Jung’s mansion by the way? Were you able to talk with Krystal? Did you see Fany-unnie? How was she? What happened?”

 

Luna got speechless and mummed for a while, thinking what she should tell first, about Krystal or about what happened to Tiffany. But after realizing what’s more important, she decided to tell first, “Don’t worry about Krystal. I know soon she’ll come to you and have a talk. You should worry about Fany-unnie first.”

 

Sulli attentively leaned closer and asked, “Why? What happened to Fany-unnie?”

 

“Someone from the gathering disclosed her past when she was still living here in the city and Jessica-unnie heard all of it. Right after that, she rushed back to your village.” Luna sadly informed to her shocked dongsaeng.

 

“No way…” Sulli frowned and got dismayed as she stared down in grimace. She then sighed, “Unnie, what should I do? Fany-unnie might have a hard time getting back up on her feet again. You know, her past here in the city is something that she really wanted to bury and being disclosed like that in front of people must be really hurting her so much now.”

 

“It just happened. Everything’s been exposed now. There’s nothing we can do about it. Let’s just cheer up Fany-unnie. Maybe we can write her a letter or something to ease her feelings somehow.” Luna tried comforting the down Sulli.

 

The weekend came and nothing has changed, at least for a quite bit. Krystal started her day so dark and lonely as she couldn’t find just one enough reason to smile and celebrate another weekend loaded with her free time with her fully-healed hand that she uses for her painting. She stayed bland and empty, and nothing to serve as her inspiration to make another artwork for display and to show off.

 

“Don’t waste the inks and canvasses Krys. You’re obviously not in the good shape today so don’t force yourself.” Amber pulled out the board in front of her spacing out best friend.

 

Krystal gave up and finally let go of that paint brush on her hand. Groaning in defeat, she admitted, “Damn, I just can’t stop thinking of Jess. She went to work this morning despite of carrying that heavy burden. Seriously, I hate that attitude of hers but I hate it more when dad’s not doing anything for Jess.”

 

“Why don’t you worry about your own problem first before others?” Amber questioned and showed up in the air Krystal’s phone that she took from her bag without notice while sitting down on a vacant chair far across Krystal. “Fifty messages, thirty missed calls and only one voice message and not to mention this voice message is kind of long, all from Choi Sulli.” She then said.

 

Krystal dashed to her and snatches back her phone barking, “Yah! Who told you that you can look into my things?”

 

“C’mon Krys, just give her a call. And if you don’t want, at least listen to that voice message. I think that might be important since that’s five minutes long.” Amber said and again stole the phone away.

 

Amber ran farther from the phone’s owner, setting the phone on its loud speaker as she plays the voice message which contains, “Hi Krystal… It’s me… Sulli… Uhm… I don’t know how to start. Anyway, I called because I have good news… or maybe on the second thought it’s bad news. I found who the culprit behind those photos on the bulletin board and it’s your friend Suzy. She admitted it during lunch time when I confronted her. So yeah, it’s her.”

 

“What?” When Sulli paused for a while, Krystal’s once raging self from Amber’s acts gradually stopped and turned into calm yet shocked stance. Soon, she settled with Amber on a couch to listen more of Sulli’s message.

 

Hence the message continues, “I know you might not care so much because you’re not involved in the photos but still, I want to tell you that. I asked Suzy about it but she didn’t tell me anything. She said she wants to tell you about it first before anyone else and wants to meet you somewhere during night time. She also said she knows where to meet her every night. You can go and meet her whenever you’re ready so I just wanted to deliver you that too.”

 

“I think I know where too. Do you want me to accompany you?” Amber volunteered but Krystal’s overly focused attention on the talking phone made Amber to be left unanswered.

 

“That’s all I wanted to tell you for now. We’ll be busy doing some final rehearsals for the next few days so I might not be able to call you as much as I can right now. I’m sorry if I keep on calling. You must be tired of it, right? I hope to hear from you soon too, Krystal. I miss you.”

 

The beep went off, signaling that the message is done. Krystal grabbed the phone from Amber’s tight grip and check if there’s more but it’s unfortunate for her that there’s none. She checked all her missed calls’ time and all were done during past midnight. She checked her messages for the first time and she’s bombarded with “I miss you’s”, “I’m sorry…”, “Please forgive me…”, “I hope to see you soon…” and so much more. Amber saw how Krystal’s face turned so red in fault, how her she hideously bit the insides of her cheeks and how the grip tightened on the phone.

 

“I miss you~” Amber best friend by copying Sulli’s sweet voice that was over the line moments ago, laughing after she said.

 

“You’re not helping at all…” Krystal grumbled and so Amber stopped from her teases as she eventually calmed down beside her baffled best friend.

 

Amber rested her arm around Krystal’s shoulders and advised, “You know Krys nothing will be solved if you’ll just stay here, lock yourself in the mansion and avoid everything. Stop worrying about your sister’s case. She’s an adult grown-up woman and surely someone out there can help her out. For now, think about yourself.”

 

“But how?”

 

“Start it with Suzy.” Amber said as she walked towards the table and tossed the car keys to her. “I know you’re wondering why Suzy did that and why she wanted to tell you her reasons even though you’re not the one that’s directly harmed. She photographed Sulli and she targeted Sulli yet she wanted to meet you instead of Sulli who’s directly involved. Don’t you think it’s fishy?” She then interrogated.

 

Analyzing what Amber said, Krystal nodded, “You’re right. I find it odd too. I might find something out if I meet her.”

 

“There you go! Finally you made a decision. I might not be a big help this time but I hope after your talk with Suzy, you’ll find the courage to face Sulli too.” Amber twinkled and walked away from her best friend, going out of the studio just to give Krystal some time alone to think herself.

 

Conversely, the older Jung demanded more paper works from the department heads to be all dropped on her table. The ever busy secretary is being blasted with left and right works, from receiving consecutive phone calls to accepting documents and papers from the delivery. As if she’s shut herself off from the whole world, Jessica is solely giving her attention to the papers, scanning every single page one by one before signing them and even accepted some potential investors for a face-to-face meeting inside her office.

 

“What should I do? This is so not Sica-unnie.” Yoona silently whined in front of the busy coffee maker while her superior is on a long distance call from their overseas business partners.

 

“Good morning, Sica.”

 

The two busy people in the office both turned their heads to the opening door and there’s the bright and easy going Yuri entering with another set of white roses. Instead of welcoming the visitor, Yoona stepped back as she saw how Jessica’s face darkened and how her aura turned to black. Yuri nonetheless ignored these facts and still makes a closer approach to her love one sitting still on her office chair.

 

“Get out.” Jessica hissed irritably, looking up on Yuri who is standing tall across her table.

 

Yuri acted as if she heard none of her orders for she still asserts, “You seem to be in a bad mood Sica. What’s wrong?”

 

“And you still have the guts to ask me that after what you’ve done last time at the gathering. How dare you even to show up in front of me as if you did nothing?” Jessica finally raged as she slammed her table strong with her two heavy hands and stood up to meet Yuri’s amused gazes with her stern ones.

 

“I knew it.” Yuri sneered which annoyed the bad mood Jessica more. “So you’re keeping yourself busy to forget what happened that day? In short, you’re bothered with Tiffany Hwang again, am I right?”

 

“It’s none of your business Yuri. If you don’t mind, please get out be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter