Chapter 3: Momentous Encounters

Crossing Borders
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 3 Momentous Encounters

 

There will always be a reason why two complete strangers meet, and why two people with different perspectives in life intersect along the way. Whatever the reason is, they will both end up getting affixed and both of their images will be imprinted into their minds. People can't run away with the fact that whoever they meet along their journey, they will bring and can make a change in their lives, may it be huge or a little impact. Nonetheless, if two people living in an opposite lifestyle with a different environment, surely, it will leave an impression in their hearts that they will never forget.

 

“Are you ready Tiffany? The travel will take us around four hours so we'll arrive there around eight in the morning, just in time for business hours. If you didn’t get enough sleep, you can also take a nap while we’re on our way.” The chief advised as he started the engine of their old model van to be used.

 

“Don’t worry chief. Everything’s going to be fine.” The groomed Tiffany assured with determination written all over her face.

 

By the time the beam of sunlight peeked through the clouds of night, Tiffany moved out of their home to meet the village chief for their trip, exactly 4AM of the dawn. As she’s afraid to be criticized by the billionaire, she sported more formal outfit than her usual attire when walking around the village, at least formal to her perspective. Plain white blouse and blue jeans with her pink backpack and ragged sneakers, that’s all she have. Her expression shows great aggressiveness towards her work but uneasiness and nervousness is bottling up inside her.

 

“Shall we go?” The chief called out to Tiffany who's spacing out outside the van, blanking out at the back. He noticed her unusual silence so he once again called, “Hey Fany! C'mon!”

 

“Eh? Y-yes!” Tiffany was shaken up from the sudden call.

 

“Wait Fany!” From afar, a silhouette behind the thick fog of dawn’s gust was seen nearing their van. As it comes closer, Tiffany cleared her vision simply to see Taeyeon peddling her bicycle so fast towards her.

 

“Taengoo! Why are you here?” Tiffany asked the panting friend in front of her.

 

“I heard you're going to the metropolitan to fetch a visitor so I got worried. The villagers are talking about a visitor coming too so I thought I should come to see you off.” Taeyeon said in between her heavy breathings then she asked out of her concern, “Will you be alright? Even your grandma looks so worried last night.”

 

“If you’re worried that I might see something bad then there’s no need to worry. I'll be fine and I have our chief with me. Besides, the urban area is way too big!” Tiffany cheerfully stated to ease her friend’s worries.

 

“Okay, if you say so. Then, take care on your way. We'll be waiting for you. I'll take care of the kids and grandma for today. So please, come back safe.”

 

Before Tiffany manages to react and respond to her, Taeyeon tended and stole a quick kiss on Tiffany’s cold cheeks afterwards she drove away with her glowing face. For a moment, Tiffany failed to internalize what just happened and remained daze on her stance for Taeyeon never made such move ever since the first time they met. Later Tiffany heard the chief laughing from driver’s seat as he waits for her, and so she was awakened from her deep trail of thoughts then she entered the van speechless.

 

“It seems like our Taeyeon is finally getting bolder with her moves. That little, when will she ever confess to you? She knows all about you and accepted everything about you yet she got no guts to confess.” The chief commented and his remarks caused Tiffany to flung a playful slap on his shoulders.

 

With her reddening cheeks, Tiffany grumbled, “Stop it chief! That’s not funny. Let's just get moving or else we'll get late with our appointment. You don't want to mess up with a billionaire, right? That’s why stop gossiping about my life and let's move on!”

 

Thus their journey to the Jungs' mansion has begun. While they are on their four-hour travel, Jessica have been busily packing up her things which she refused to do the night before for she decided to spend the meaningful night with Krystal. Her room that's always tidy and organized is now a room that was like passed by a typhoon for her extravagant dresses were sprawled on her sofa, her diamond accessories that are customized and personalized and her underwear are all scattered on her bed with her gigantic closet opened wide.

 

“Unnie, what are… you… doing…” Krystal casually came in and witnessed her sister desperately folding and searching thousands of outfits on her closet. The way Jessica digs on her drawers and the she restlessly walks around is something Krystal has never seen before, causing her to slow down with her words the moment she entered.

 

“Oh Krystal.” Jessica noticed her sister’s presence late and while she’s on a rush she explained, “I'll be living on an unknown village so I need to be sensitive with the things I'll bring with me.”

 

“Oh yeah. It's your first time to live on countryside.” Krystal pointed out and closed the door behind her.

 

“Yeah. I can’t wear dresses in such place, I can’t possibly bring any expensive jewelries and I have to make sure that I'll always be wearing flats since some areas might not be suitable for my high heels. I need to bring with me tons of mosquito repellents basically because countryside is coated with mosquitoes and unknown insect creatures. I shouldn’t be wearing revealing clothes too, except for my favorite night wear. I have to bring lots of papers, notes and pens too since I can’t use laptop all the time.”

 

Krystal eyed on how her sister disregarded her favorite types of dresses and packed jeans and simple blouses instead, and how Jessica locked up her high heels on her shoe room and packed her ordinary yet expensive flats instead. The stern look on Jessica’s face can't be hidden though, for she feels so uncomfortable doing something she never imagined doing for the first time in her life.

 

“I guess you don't need my help in here.” Krystal exhaled but subsequently she smiled, “I was about to go to the university but I thought of helping you out first but then again I guess you're all fine. I should have expected it, you're a smart professional businesswoman after all.”

 

There was a tint of sadness on Krystal’s voice and this was immediately toned by Jessica. She temporarily ceased from fixing her baggage to give her sister a sweet caress by her cheeks who is leaning against her room's door. “C'mon Krys, we already talked about this last time. I won’t take long, okay? I already asked your tutor to look after you for me. I'm sure your Victoria-unnie will treat you like a real sister while I'm away.”

 

“Miss Jessica, Kwon Yuri is here. She said she wants to see you off.” A servant knocked onto the door as he informed and this interrupted the sisters' small drama.

 

“Tell her to wait. I'm still packing.” Jessica ordered and the servant affirmatively obeyed.

 

“Then I'll be going to school now. Your visitors might also arrive anytime later.” Krystal gave her sister one last embrace.

 

“Be a good girl.”

 

“I should be the one telling you that. Be a good girl and I hope you won't snapped out of your childish side then nag all day and completely forget your professionalism. It's embarrassing to think that a professional businesswoman has a childish and immature side too.” Krystal teased as she stuck her tongue out towards her sister’s unguarded posture.

 

Krystal left the room with a heavy heart knowing that she'll be missing the person whom she can only show her true self to. Walking down to the first floor, she sighted Yuri freely pacing around their living room like she owns it. The way she wears something almost the same as her sister’s elegancy irritates her for some reason. Yuri in fact never impressed the youngest Jung. Krystal never had welcomed her to be her sister’s lover because of the arrogance and overflowing confidence she always show off in front of their father and other relatives whenever they gather for business meetings. Krystal wanted to avoid her at all cost but couldn’t make it as Yuri saw her coming down from the stairs and gave her a morning smile.

 

“Good morning, Krystal. Are you going to school?” Yuri greeted up Krystal rolled her eyes and just passed by her. The offended older woman roughly held Krystal by her wrist and again greeted with a forced out smile, “Good morning.”

 

Krystal exchanged deathly glares with her for some seconds and the housemaids are getting frightened with the heating eye contacts between them. Until Yuri decided to break it first, thinking that she shouldn’t be arguing someone younger than her and because she’s still her love's younger sister.

 

“I think it's clear for you that I don't like you sniffing your nose around my sister. So don't you dare act close to me like you're my sister’s lover. If only you’re not an acquaintance of our father, I already kicked you out of here.” Krystal totally dropped her manners as she intensely warned Yuri.

 

“Look, I don’t really know why you don't like me but for Sica’s sake, I will still treat you nicely.” Yuri said, managing to remain calm amidst of Krystal’s indecency.

 

“Whatever. Jess will be leaving later so I don’t need to worry of you sticking around like a dog.”

 

Krystal evilly smirked at her before leaving her astonished. When Yuri heard her car drifting away from the mansion, she breathed heavy as she couldn’t believe Krystal’s attitude and threw herself on the couch. Staring up blankly at the chandelier, she sighed at the thought of how hard it is to capture the heart of a billionaire.

 

In the meantime, when students of the city are still on their sleep and none is on their way just yet, there’s one who set her wakeup call earlier than her every day routine, an hour advanced compared to her usual alarm clock. Sulli makes her way to their narrow kitchen and there she started to prepare both their breakfast and prepared two lunch boxes on the table. Not only her routine for the day changed, but also the contents of her daily lunch changed as for today, she’s preparing with more effort and more dishes on the set.

 

“Good morning. You’re early today Ssul.” Luna yawned wide as she retorted. She walked towards the focused woman on her cooking and smelled sausages being fried on a pan. Sausages and leafy vegetables were also decorated first on one of the lunch boxes. “Woah, what’s the occasion?” Luna asked in surprise.

 

“It’s for Krystal.” Sulli grinned for a second then goes back to her preparations.

 

“Krystal? Who’s this Krystal that you’re preparing lunch for her?” Luna questioned with a teasing smirk and tickles Sulli by her waist.

 

“The other day, she saved me from the bullies and gave me her handkerchief. So today, I’m going to thank her by giving her this lunch box and returning back her handkerchief. I just overheard her name from her friends so I’m not so sure of her yet.” As Sulli explained her experience, she couldn’t help but to gradually smile on it.

 

“Oh really. But let me tell you this Ssul, you should be careful too.” Luna advised and Sulli stared at her waiting for a follow up explanation. Luna cleared out with a warning, “That Krystal is rich for sure and here we are the bullied and poor. Don’t expect too much that she’ll give you so much attention. I’m not saying that returning your gratitude for the help you received is bad. It’s just that, you know, that thing they call discrimination between the rich and the poor. I’m worried that you might get hurt and get bullied even more.”

 

Sulli frowned as she dropped the chopsticks she’s using to arrange the dishes on the container, “I know unnie. But think of it too, if she’s a bad person, would she give me her handkerchief just to clean myself when in fact she can just leave without doing so?” She then reasoned out.

 

“It’s up to you Ssul. You just have to make sure you’re prepared for the circumstances either she accept it or not.” Luna sighed in defeat and argued no more.

 

One the other hand, the villagers have reached the city but the sleeping Tiffany was unaware of it until the chief shakes her up while he drives. Tiffany wipes her drool off and sits up straight to set up physically, to be presentable enough to face the billionaire she's about to meet. The chief noticed on how she puts an effort in applying a little bit of make-up and on how she combed her long hair. Basing on her actions, the chief sensed that the energetic woman is gradually getting nervous which is something rare and unusual for someone like Tiffany.

 

“Hey Fany, it feels nostalgic isn't it?” The chief voiced out. pointing at the tall buildings and at the large number of people walking from different angles going to their work.

 

Tiffany relaxed her nervous state and replied, “Yeah it does.”

 

“Don't you want to live here and try again one more time? You can earn faster, everything is accessible and Sulli is just somewhere in this big city too so I thought it would be easier for you.” The chief carefully suggested for he is afraid to damage Tiffany’s healing emotions from her experiences.

 

Tiffany wandered her eyes of what's in front of them. The city she once lived in changed so much that she barely recognized it. There are new buildings, more subway stations were added and the people got thicker compared to when she was on that same place with them.

 

“I don’t want to.” Tiffany belatedly replied. “It's true that life in here might be easier but look that those people around, no one seems to be genuinely happy. Are these people happy or just comfortable? At least back in the village, I don’t have to worry about anything and I can think better. I have no plans to meet Sulli while we’re here. She might only end up wanting to come back home if she sees me. Besides, we don't have time for that, we have more important business to attend to.”

 

“I see. I guess I'll just stop asking about it then.”

 

The chief followed the directions given to him, attached with the mansion’s complete address. They passed by couple of streets and turned into multiple crossings then finally he located the landmark written on the address. Just then, a black Porsche appeared on a high speed at the last intersection they're supposed to cross before going up the low highland. The chief was horrified from its sudden appearance, causing both parties to step on the full break but still made a little bump. Tiffany gasped from the sudden case and froze on her seat with her jaw dropping together with the most troubled one, the chief. Thankfully, it's only them and that black car around the area and no one witnessed.

 

“Chief, did we… just… bump… into a... car?” Tiffany anxiouslyy asked.

 

The driver of the black car was the first one to go down to check on the damage of her own car. There were scratches near the head lights and the paint came off from it. Tiffany didn’t like the looks of the driver as it’s noticeably pissed off and maddened. Out of her nervousness, Tiffany instinctively went down their van to meet the displeased driver of the black car.

 

“I'm so sorry ma'am. We didn’t mean to harm you and you’re car.” Tiffany lowered down her head, afraid of tangling into a great trouble.

 

“It was my fault ma'am. I'm so sorry for the damage we've caused. We'll take full responsibility for this mess.” The chief followed up and together they bowed down for a formal apology.

 

“Is there something going on here?” A guard came from up the low hill. “Ms. Krystal, are you alright?”

 

“Nothing. It's not a big deal.” Krystal said and sent the guard back up on his duty. Going back to the villagers, she said, “Please don't apologize. It's actually my fault. There’s a speed limit in this area since there’s a subdivision up ahead. I wasn’t really attentive on my way and it’s rare to see vehicles passing by in this place so I got a carried away and drove fast. I'm sorry. It seems like I damaged your van a bit too. I'll pay for compensation.”

 

“Oh, no! No!” Tiffany waved her hands as a gesture of declining the money being brought out from Krystal’s thick wallet. “Our van is fine and it's full of damages to be honest yet it's still working. Scratches like these aren’t something new so it’s totally fine.”

 

“Are you sure?” Krystal questioned again and they nodded. “Then, I'm going ahead first. I'm late for my classes too. Sorry for the trouble.” She then drove fast away.

 

“That woman is obviously rich. Just look at her skin tone and flawless figure, she's so disciplined. I can't believe someone like her still exists.” Tiffany commented, daydreaming of wanting to have the same physique as of Krystal.

 

The two hastily

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter