Chapter 14: My Life, My Choices

Crossing Borders
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 14 My Life, My Choices

 

Everything that happens in everyone’s life is a reflection of their choices. Be it bad or be it good, the outcome will depend on the choice that one has to make. If one seeks for a change and for different results then making choices with no one but their own self is the best way. Some also says that choices and decisions are the hardest things to make especially when it’s a choice between what they should be and what they want to be, there goes the old typical saying. However, by the end of the day, only them, their own hearts and mind has the right to judge it. Only the person who knows them the best, and it is their own self, can make a life-changing decision for their choices.

 

Fireworks, balloons flying all over the sky and various interested people are entering and exiting out of the university for it is its foundation day which they lavishly celebrate every year. VIPs from different top-rated universities all over the world are being welcomed by the students which include the directors, the deans and the counselors. And being one of the top universities, certainly, people are also expecting best performances from their students. For example, this Romeo and Juliet stage play that everyone is anticipating for is one of the most-awaited events for this special day.

 

“Woah! There are a lot of people outside now!” One of the crew members gasped as he peeked through the red curtain covering the stage and saw how the large numbers of people are settling themselves for a seat to enjoy their performance.

 

The nervous main character, Choi Sulli playing as Juliet, also followed her fellow member, peeking a little from that tiny space between the red curtains and there she witnesses the high class VIPs occupying the front row seats guided by the guards and the amount of growing audience keeps on increasing. Because of this, her loud pounding heartbeats increase its speed, enough to make her forehead to form sweat beads that eventually glide down to her jawline.

 

“Hey, calm down.” The other main character, Minho playing as Romeo, tapped Sulli shaking shoulders and pulled her far from the curtains to snap her out of her apprehension.

 

Sulli shakes her body, stretches it in all ways and tries to recall all those important lines she had to memorize for this stage play. But she’s deteriorating; she drastically failing for her weak and frantic mind just can’t do it as easy as she had done before. “I can’t do this…” She then babbled and stepped back from the whole crew that’s on circle.

 

“Oh c’mon now Ssul.” Luna wailed and pulled the stoned Sulli back to the circle. “Have you forgotten why you wanted to do this in the first place? It’s your dream, right? You want to become a theater actress and be popular so that your parents who abandoned you will come to find you. Turning back now won’t help you at all.”

 

“She’s right Sulli. Besides, you won’t be standing on the stage alone. You’ll be with us and if you’d feel nervous, we got your back.” Minho followed up and showed his earnest smile, hoping to make Sulli lesser nervous.

 

Sulli looks around her and the encircled crew are smiling at her wide and some nodding their heads delivering their full encouragement to the weak and pathetic her. These smiles of assurance somehow worked as Sulli’s nervousness at least washed-out and her confidence is progressively advancing up, all thanks to these supportive people surrounding her.

 

“Thank you.” Sulli said as she flashed her eye smile to them.

 

One of the instructors is then clapping his hands, getting everyone’s attention around the small tight circle chanting, “Okay guys! This is our most-awaited day! We practiced hard for this day. We endured hardships and sacrificed a lot just to be able to show the world out there that we’re worth the wait. Always keep in mind what I taught you first. Keep your heads high, show off that overflowing confidence and we’re a team, not individuals trying to compete with each other.”

 

“Okay! Let’s go out there and show them what we’ve got!”

 

As the main instructor cheered, everyone rejoined with a louder one as they hailed, “Let’s do this!”

 

Within this sea of anticipating viewers with some people waiting for the stage play to start soon, among them is Krystal holding tight on that bouquet of tulips in her shaky hands. By the very back of this capacious theater, she’s there leaning her sweaty back against the walls near the entrance, together with her best friend whom she effectively tugged with her and there’s also Victoria who willingly attends the stage play. And these two friends who are sandwiching Krystal’s thin body just couldn’t miss this evident uneasiness that’s going on with her.

 

“You’re all sweat. Are you sick?” Her concerned best friend asked as she noticed Krystal’s pale lips.

 

Victoria cackled and supposed, “She’s not sick. She’s just nervous. Just look how her hands are trembling under that bouquet.”

 

Glaring to her side, Krystal roars with her shaky unstable tone, “Yah unnie. Don’t say it! You’re making it worse!”

 

“Seriously?” Amber then also joined the tutor on laughing soundlessly as they tease the youngest among them. “Why are you even getting nervous? You’re not even performing!

 

“Shut up…” Krystal whined and wiped all those sweats dripping down from her chin. “Am I not allowed to get nervous for Sulli? She wasn’t able to practice a lot and wasn’t able to focus much during rehearsals because of that previous incident. I’m worried that she might make a mistake and breakdown on that stage. You guys know her; she’s weak and easily gets downhearted.” She then explained herself.

 

The two older women looked at each other for they comprehended of why this concerned friend of theirs is just as nervous as those of the main characters themselves. However, this didn’t stop them from teasing Krystal, hooting even more because of her affectionate justification for the weak and fragile woman.

 

‘Hey Krys! I’m your best friend but you didn’t get that nervous when I joined an art contest last year. Is Sulli your best friend now?” Amber jokingly complained then she further teased, “Or maybe… more than just best friends?”

 

Following Amber’s teases, Victoria also speaks her own to the defenseless Krystal, “You even bought tulips for her. You guys have something now, eh?”

 

Krystal was about to rant because of those endless teases and yell at her friends but the all the lights suddenly turned off and only the stage was left lighted. Everyone immediately settled down when this happened for it is an indication that the stage play is going to start anytime now.

 

“Here it is… Here it is…” Krystal mumbled under her unstable breathings and didn’t even notice that her two friends already went to find their own seats in front of her, leaving her behind on that wall standing with her two vibrating knees.

 

The announcement has been made and the red curtain was finally shown to the audience. Few seconds later, the curtains are getting apart to reveal the whole stage set-up where the first scene for Romeo and Juliet is about to take place. Krystal’s eyes are getting wider each inch that this red curtain moves and gets even wider when she cited the narrator on stage already, on standby for the first act. As it wholly opened, the narrator kicked it off and this gave Krystal a chill down to her spine.

 

If students are anticipating for that stage play, there are those businessmen anticipating for a good result and optimistically eyeing for the incoming successes. At this fine-dining restaurant where the billionaire father of the Jung personally reserved for their expected meeting with the Kwon, they are waiting for the arrival for the perfect lady to meet her potential husband’s parents. The woman though isn’t around yet, not even a call or a single notice and message came from her and this upset not only the billionaire man but also the Tyler’s side that has high expectation towards her.

 

“Don’t you think your daughter is late Mr. Jung? I thought she’s a woman with punctuality. Then why isn’t she around yet? She’s ten minutes late already.” The impatient father of Tyler questioned the ashamed billionaire.

 

The wife then backed-up as she also further questions, “He’s right. If your side is really into this personal meeting, your daughter Jessica should be with us right now but where is she? We don’t want our son to be a laughingstock and be embarrassed.”

 

“Mom, dad…” Tyler voiced out and stopped his impatient parents who are harassing the tight-lipped billionaire across the table. “Don’t worry. I’m sure Jessica just had some emergency situation or an urgent business meeting. She’ll be here shortly.” The positive he then said.

 

Tyler took out his phone as he’s hoping that he can reach Jessica through a call but the disappointed him heard zero but the operator’s voice rejecting his calls. He eyed the Jung’s father and surely, that face from him isn’t as bright anymore as he first entered the restaurant for his expression turned from a lively one to a darkening in resentment one. Of course, none of them expected this to happen and now everyone got a little worried and more alert than before.

 

“Excuse me Mr. Jung. Ms. Jessica’s secretary is outside and said she has some message to tell you personally. Should we let her in?” A high-class waiter came to inform and asked.

 

The father viewed up to the waiter and hoarsely said, “Let her in. It must be something important that she came all the way here.”

 

Accordingly, they called her in, the courageous and brave Yoona. She’s taking her deepest breath she has ever done while walking towards the heavy atmosphere surrounding between the Jung and the Kwon. Although she can’t find the nerve to look into those flaring eyes of the billionaire father of her superior, she still found her guts to at least step forward and stand up to them up close.

 

“What brings you here Ms. Im? Where’s Jessica?” The father inquired not looking up on the tall her.

 

Yoona at first hesitated to say a single word but she didn’t let this tension eat her and drain her bravery out, especially if it’s for Jessica whom she adores the most as she speaks out, “Ms. Jessica won’t be coming today.”

 

“What?” Tyler closely got up from his seat, rampant as he doubted the secretary’s words.

 

“What do you mean by that? Does she have another appointment that collided with our meeting today?” The billionaire asked trying to keep his composure down over the sudden announcement that slightly shocked his unprepared mind for the situation.

 

“Yes, sir. Please let me read her message for you.” Yoona said and took out her phone to read the message aloud that detailed. She quotes, “Dad, I made a choice that I won’t marry Tyler Kwon or be linked with him for any personal matters. I won’t be coming to meet him and his parents today. I have more important matter to attend and with this, I’ve made my decision. Sorry if I disappointed you and didn’t tell you beforehand of my decision.”

 

Before Yoona could even say more of Jessica’s message, the Kwon’s father expressed his anger through slamming his heavy hands on the table, making all’s hearts jump off in shock. Releasing more of his disappointment, he roared, “That’s enough! This is absurd! I can’t believe this Mr. Jung. You promised us to let us meet your daughter and settle everything today but this is what we got from you! Your daughter is so irresponsible and I don’t even know now if an irresponsible woman like her can take over the Jung Group of Companies!”

 

“Because of this, we might decide to cut off our ties and pull out all of our shares and investments with the Jung Group of Companies. This negligence of your daughter shall not be forgotten and never be forgiven!” The Kwon’s mother also shared her frustration and follows her husband from marching out of the restaurant, leaving the speechless Jung on his seat.

 

There’s Tyler who argued nothing more and added none from his parents’ rants, not a single word of disappointment or expressed none of his distress in words, only that he sighed, shaking his head down with his eyes closed and later followed his parents out of the restaurant. Yoona has perceived this kind of outcome will occur and she wasn’t surprise at all that the Kwon fumed and walked out of the Jung’s father. She stayed on her position, watching the silent yet shocked billionaire on his seat while tapping his finger on top of his crossed legs.

 

“This is the first time Jessica defied me.” The father lowly stated then took a sip of water to calm his rising up temper. “So tell me, where did she go? How important is that appointment that she defied me and ruined one of the most significant personal meetings?” He then asked as he finally locked glares with the worried secretary.

 

Obviously, Yoona exactly knows where Jessica went and even the time she departed somewhere for Jessica herself asked for her help to deliver the message to her father earlier today. Nevertheless, Yoona insisted on protecting her superior by bravely stating, “I know where she went, sir. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you where but I assure you she’s safe and sound wherever she is right now.” And this nerve-wrecking spirit is to protect her superior who finally made a choice on her own and broke out of the chains she’s longing to break on her own.

 

The frustrated father got up from his seat and Yoona stepped back, afraid of whatever he’s about to do next. The father is physically showing no signs of anger, not letting out a shout of upset and not even throwing random rants all over the place. These actions made him scarier than vulgarly expressing his anger out for his eyes are evidently sending flaming daggers he can’t hide. But assuredly, having Jessica suddenly defying him and disobeying all his plans and orders for the first time is something that shocked him and his overly high expectations of Jessica flipped.

 

The billionaire stood tall in front of the anxious secretary and then hissed before walking out, “Tell your boss to meet me immediately when she’s back. Tell her I’ll be waiting and tell her that I need explanation over this defiance of her. Bring her back in one piece.”

 

“I u-understand, sir.” Yoona barely pronounced as his burning eyes strictly glared at her vibrating ones.

 

The rainy season just doesn’t have any plans to end yet as this one small village was forecasted to be hit by a storm. Raindrops started to pour out but not so heavy during the day and winds are faintly starting to be felt. Upon receiving this terrifying news from the village chief who reached the village coming from the city, the villagers begun to lock up, classes for the poor students were cancelled  and vendors packed up to shelter themselves and as for the hardworking farmers, it’s the same. They needed to pack up earlier than the usual and needed to save the crops and other farmed goods on the field. Hence, this village that’s always lively and energetic will later turn into a sound of storm’s madness.

 

“Please do take the kids home and keep them safe. I heard the storm won’t last long though but it’s better to stay safe at home.” The school’s principal handed over the little kids back to Tiffany’s arms as she directly went to the school to fetch them early.

 

“Yes, I understand. Thank you for your concern.” The ever so polite and humble Tiffany bowed down her head.

 

“But hey Tiffany…” The principal leaned closer then she gossips, “When will that billionaire come back here? Maybe we can ask her to fund some for our school and improve it…”

 

“Hey!” Tiffany tugged back and glared at the greedy principal.

 

The principal then sniggered at Tiffany’s feedback, “I’m just kidding! Why are you so serious? Honestly, I just want her to come back and show her gratitude. She’s a nice and considerate woman despite of living such an extravagant life. You went to the city, right? You should have asked her to visit us sometimes.”

 

“Unfortunately, she’s not coming back here anymore. She only came here for research and nothing more than that.” Tiffany glowered and stared straight down the dusty ground. Forcing her fragile self to say, she hardly uttered, “She might even get married soon and it will be impossible for us to reach her.”

 

The principal saw how her bright expression glowered upon the mention of Jessica’s possible marriage and this made her ask, “Are you alright with that Tiffany?”

 

“There’s nothing I can do with that. And what can poor people like me do anyway? It’s impossible for someone like me to associate with the likes of them. That’s why, as much as possible, I don’t want to expect from her.” Tiffany forced out a smile.

 

Tiffany gave the principal a last bow before walking away with all her kids beside her while one is being carried around her broad shoulders. Every step she takes every breath she takes and every time she tries to work hard by doubling it, she would still find herself missing the billionaire woman who once lived with her in this isolated yet peaceful village. No matter how hard she tries to bury her memories with Jessica, she just can’t include those happy memories yet with those of her dark pasts that she long buried under the ground.

 

“Fany mommy, is it true that Sica-unnie won’t be coming back? I miss her so much…” The little girl around Tiffany’s strong arms cried on her shoulders.

 

Tiffany let the little girl lean on her as they walk altogether and then she hissed, “I miss her too baby. I always do.”

 

These lovely kids are the only people whom Tiffany can admit her emotions and feelings to at times like this as she knows that these kids on her hands will never question her vulnerability and don’t have these kinds of complicated minds and situations. If there are people who can give her temporary happiness in this time of sadness, they are these charming children who make her feel like the best mother in this world full of miseries.

 

Meanwhile, if the storm is nearing the village, the city only feels a little from that as light amount rainfalls are only pouring the busy streets. And unlike the village that’s welcoming a bad day ahead of them, the city is full of excitement and enthusiasms watching a stage play from one of the top universities. With the audience’s glittering and sparking eyes, they perceive an extraordinary play from these passionate students whose performances are beyond performance level and definitely exceeded everyone’s expectations with their abilities.

 

“Amazing! I’ve never seen this kind of incredible Romeo and Juliet stage play before. The performers are so good.” An audience sitting in front of Krystal’s stance from the very back praised and this was heard by the woman’s sharp hearing senses.

 

“Their Juliet is pretty good too. She fits the role perfectly.” Another one was heard praising while Sulli’s act is ongoing on stage as she’s showing off all the results of her hard work and her passion for the play.

 

“I wonder who she is…”

 

Krystal, hearing this one last praise from one of the persons gossiping in front of her, out of nowhere answered them hissing in excitement, “That’s Choi Sulli! It’s Choi Sulli! She’s perfect, isn’t she?” She then smiled wide at these confused people.

 

“Oh my God Krys! Shut up!” Amber who heard her blabbering out loud immediately hushed her best friend with an irritated glare.

 

Giggling, Victoria elbowed Amber and whispered, “Let her Amber. That kid is just proud of her Juliet being praised like that.”

 

The entire theater made a standing ovation as the play ended smoothly and flawlessly. Everyone was awed and cheered loud for these actors and actresses who played their role befittingly. All of them, the whole crew lined up on stage and made a bow and some of them even teared up from the success, which includes the cry baby Sulli who happens to receive the most compliments from the audience.

 

“Thank you very much!” All crew bowed down hand in hand as the confetti dropped from above, showering the success of the performers and bright lights shining to the audience who didn’t have a blink of an eye through the play.

 

The whole crew cried in joy as they moved to the backstage for a wrap up. From the performer who did the smallest role to the performer who did the most part, no one was able to escape from tears and all were touched from the overwhelming support from everyone. Emotional hugs here, passionate embraces there from their loved ones who specially came to watch and support them. However, Sulli got no one to share this special moment with, well, that’s what she thought. She has no parents to share her success to, she got no Tiffany to personally congratulate her, she got no one but she got it all wrong.

 

“Yah! Let me go Vic-unnie! I can walk on my own!”

 

“Oh no you can’t my dear. You’re trying to escape a while ago and we won’t let you after you’ve gone this far!”

 

“C’mon, you’ll just congratulate her and what’s the use of that bouquet you bought if you’ll just run away in the end?”

 

Sulli, upon hearing these loud and harsh arguments going on from far behind her, she hurriedly twisted around from envying the sight of happy family and friends sharing a moment, only to see the person she wanted to be with her the most at the moment being dragged by Victoria and Amber going in the backstage. Seeing Krystal personally for the first time since the incident, she wasn’t so sure of herself whether to cry or give her the widest smile she can. She just froze there, on her frozen stand watching Krystal being forcibly dragged closer to her until to the point that the two were able to put Krystal just a meter away from her.

 

“There! Now talk and we’ll take our leave.” Victoria breathed in exhaustion from exerting much effort.

 

“You can do that…” Amber whispered to her shy best friend who can’t even look straight to Sulli’s expectant stares.

 

The two ran away escaping from the scene, only to give the two younger ones a time for themselves. Luna who was once so busy entertaining people somewhere far saw this awkward situation from afar. Together with Minho and the other crew members, she pulled all of them away and asked to give the much needed space for the two. Although there are still people wandering all over around the backstage, at least Sulli found a little comfort now that the passersby were lessened.

 

“Krystal…” Sulli hardly find words to say first to the woman who is as awkward as her in front of her. “Your hand… it healed…” She then said upon noticing the full-healed skilled hand.

 

“H-here…” Krystal awkwardly handed the almost ruined bouquet of tulips to the stunned Sulli. “C-congratulations… you did great…”

 

“Tulips!” Sulli shrieked in delight at the sight of her favorite flowers and this startled the awkward and timid Krystal. “Thank you so much! I’ve never received something like this before! I only see tulips on park but it’s my first time to receive some.” She then gladly accepted the bouquet of tulips like a little kid who got a toy from her mother.

 

Krystal ogled at Sulli’s happy face, so happy that she couldn’t stop smiling at that bouquet tightly wrapped around her arms which made Krystal to eventually giggle at her expression. Sulli heard her doing so hence she looked at Krystal’s amused smiles and later she followed these smiles and together they both shared warm and sincere beams, eliminating all those awkwardness and uneasiness that were used to surround them.

 

While beaming her usual eye smile, Sulli said, “I’m glad you came to watch our performance. I thought you’d never come to watch us.”

 

“How can I miss this? I’ve been waiting for this day, you know that.” Krystal said as she playfully punched Sulli by her broad shoulders.

 

“Sorry to interrupt you guys but the bus is waiting outside now Ssul. We better get going.” Luna shouted from near behind them but with a smirk full of tease for the two blushing uncomfortably that got caught sharing close smiles and laughter.

 

“Y-yeah. I’ll be there right away.”

 

“Are you going somewhere?” Krystal asked.

 

“We’ll still have a short meeting then we’ll go to Minho’s mansion for an after party later tonight. He insisted on hosting the party so we had no choice but to let him. We were also given two-day break so the whole crew likes to have party all night.” Sulli said and Krystal apparently frowned hearing this information. “Why? Is there something wrong?” She then asked upon noticing Krystal’s gloomed expression.

 

“I was actually planning to invite you out for an early dinner but I guess it won’t work, huh?” Krystal forced out a laugh as she scratched the back of her head to somewhat ease her discomfort.

 

Sulli grimaced, “I’m sorry. I should have

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter