Memories

Letting Go

 

Heechul’s POV

Oh. I could just pretend to be with her all day. But she isn’t. So I’ll just stop pretending. I want to be with her so badly that I always replay our past conversations in my head.

*Flashback*

“Chullie-ah! Come down here!” she shouted. Aish. Her voice was really loud that I can hear it from up here. I went down and saw her patiently waiting for me. “What is it?” I asked, pretending to be irritated. “Don’t be so childish and just stop complaining, okay?” she said as she covered my eyes with her hands. She took me outside our house. It was really cold. I can feel the snow falling on my head. “Where are you taking me anyway?” I asked impatiently. She shushed me and continued leading me. I followed obediently. “Merry Christmas, Hee Chul-ah!” she greeted as she uncovered my eyes.

I saw a mat laid carefully on the grass and some food. “You could have just told me that you were taking me out on a date,” I teased. “You’re welcome,” she answered. We ate while watching the fireworks. This place was really romantic. But we’re just friends. “Chullie-ah, I have something for you,” she said. She handed me a box. I opened it and it was a friendship bracelet. “Look, I have the other one on,” she announced happily. I smiled and ruffled her hair. “Sorry, I haven’t gotten you anything,” I apologized. “It’s okay. It’s my gift also for your 16th birthday last month,” she explained.

*End of flashback*

Now I’m sitting at the same spot where we had eaten that Christmas evening years ago. I’m alone. I sighed. I know I can’t have her. Her family thinks I’m a bad person. I want to prove them wrong. Min Hee is the only girl I have ever loved. She was the one who took care of me when I became sick. My omma has told her a hundred times to leave because her parents might look for her, but she insisted. She was the first one who congratulated me when I was the first outstanding student in class. She almost cried that day. I laughed at the memory of her face back then. But now when I look at her, the girl with circular eyeglasses, big front teeth, and messy hair was gone. I only see a beautiful, smart, and funny lady. I had wished so many times that she would never forget our friendship until we died. We sworn to that promise many times before. And now, she was leaving me. I never felt so helpless. I want to fight for her, for our love. But love is not the only thing that matters now.

I heard tires screeching on the road, towards me. I heard it stop behind me. I turned around and saw Min Hee. She was with another guy. I breathed deeply. Maybe this is the person she is about to marry. “Annyeonghaseyo,” I greeted. This guy looks older than Min Hee and me. “Annyeonghaseyo, choneun Kim Ki Bum imnida. Or you could just call me Key,” he said as he shook my hand. “Choneun Kim Hee Chul imnida. Min Hee calls me Chullie,” I answered. She smiled.

Key’s POV

After introducing ourselves to each other, we sat by the river and continued talking. He is so smart, like he’s older than me. Maybe he was an owl in his past life. But his hyena laugh cracks me up. Min Hee said a joke, which was really funny. And Hee Chul laughed so hard. I laughed not because of the joke, but because of his laugh. He was strong and masculine on the outside, but young and childish on the inside. Min Hee told me stories about them during their childhood while we were on the way to the riverside. She has sparks in her eyes just recalling the memories. It’s like she likes him. She likes him more than just a friend. Maybe even love him. I push those thoughts away. I will be married to her. I will be.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Okay, I’ll stop lying to myself. I WISH she will be.