Drabbles 19: Penguin

OHANA!

 

I.


With a smile on his face and a beautiful box in his hand, Wu Jongin is happily walking on his way to the 3rd grader's classroom.

His twin was left at the classroom (2nd grade) since he haven't finish the artwork their art teacher ask them to do.

Today is a special day and Jongin is on his way to make that day even more special for someone.





Kyungsoo is the type of girl who rarely interacts with her classmates.
She don't really exclude herself with them, it's just that she don't know how to start a conversation.
She's on the shy type
That's why nobody knows it's her birthday.


She was busy making some paper cranes,as a part of their origami project, when she was startled by a loud yelling outside their classroom.

And a little boy was happily waving at her with a box on his other hand.

"Kyungieeeeee!!!!" The boy once again shouted her name.

"What are you doing here?" She approached him and her face were all red.

"I have something for you" he excitedly said.

"Shhh, Jonginei! They don't know it's my birthday!" Kyungsoo whispered and she drag him away from the classroom.
Her classmate was glancing at them but then they knew that the 2nd grader boy is a frequent visitor of them.








"Happy Birthday!" Nini smiled at his favorite noona in the world.
He handed to her the box.

"What's this?" Kyungsoo asked?

They were at the playground of the school.

"My gift. I pick that but eomma bought it with her money. I don't have money yet. But it's still from me." He explained.

"Thank you" Kyungsoo smile at the younger.

Eversince the first time the two of them met, Jongin is a very sweet boy towards Kyungsoo.
And as for Kyungsoo, she is very happy to have someone like Nini to be her friend.


(Well aside from Luhan who loves dragging her to play dress up and other girly stuff.)

"Open it! Open it! You will like it" he excitedly said.

"Really?" She 's curious what's inside.


She untied the ribbon and open the box's lid. The box itself is so pretty.


She then found a cute stuff penguin inside.

"It's a penguin!!" Jongin squealed.

"How did you know I like penguin?"
Kyungsoo asked.

"You like penguin? Really? I don't know you like penguin." Nini was awed.

He had pick a perfect gifr indeed. Penguin reminds him of Kyungie.


"I love penguins!" She smiled.
She really loves it.
"Thank you Jonginie" she said at the boy.

"You can call me Nini now since we're friends"
Jongin said.

"OK, Nini!" She smiled

"What will you call Mr. penguin?" He asked.

"Do I have to give a name for him?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Ofcourse! so he'll be happy"

"Hmmm!! Dyo.. Dyororo!" She giggled.

"Ohhhhh it sounds like Pororo!! I like pororo!" Jongin said.
"Hi Dyororo, I'm Nini. Now you have an owner. Take care of Kyungie noona now ok?"
The little munchkins give a thumbs up.

"Ok!" Kyungsoo giggled

 

It's special day for her indeed.

 

 

 



II. (Between those 3 years without Jongin)

 

 


"What's that?" Luhan asked.
"Is that a penguin stuff toy?"


"His Dyororo" Kyungsoo said

"What? Dyo? That stuff toy has a name?"Luhan chuckled at how childish her friend is.

"Yes he has a name."
She look at the stuff toy with a sad smile.
Luhan didn't noticed that.

"So what should we do tomorrow? Do you want to go to busan?" The older asked.

"I'm gonna sleep since there will be lots of activities next week for the theater." She said and slumped her body on the bed.

"Eyy, don't be like that. It's your birthday."


"I'm sorry Dyororo" she mumbled as she held out the penguin stuff toy.

"What? Are you talking to yourself? Yaaah! Kyungsoo are you being dramatic again?" Luhan yelled at her 

"I'm not. But you know what Lu unnie, sometimes the only way to forget is for you to hide those memories who will just make you remember the pain." Kyungsoo sighed.

"Do you miss him?" Luhan asked

"I'll be a liar if I say no." She forced a smile.

She get up on the bed and reached for the box under her bed. It was the same beautiful box where Dyororo was placed when she first received it.

"What are you doing?" Luhan asked.


"Hiding all those memories, maybe for now...or forever"

 


- - - - - - -

"May I help you?" An old lady ask Jongin.

He's been roaming around that stationary shop, in one of the shopping malls in LA, looking for something.

"Where's you postcard?" He asked.

"In this digital years never thought someone as young as you will come here to look for some post cards" the old lady smiled.

"Ah, my friend loves collecting postcard" he shyly smiled back.

"Any picture or design you want on the postcard?" She asked.

"Penguins" Jongin smiled.

 

 

 

 



III.


"Asher likes pororo!" Kyungsoo excitedly announced as she caressed her tummy. She's on her fifth month now.
She's lying comfortably on their sofa as she peels an orange.

Jongin changed the channel on the tv since his wife whined that Pororo is starting and she needs to watch it

"You know that we'll having a dinner at your parents' house right?" Jongin reminded her.

"Yeah! After Pororo!" She said and placed her head on her husband's shoulder.

"So are we spending your birthday on just watching Pororo?" Jongin frowned.

Kyungsoo nodded without taking her eyes off the TV.

"You never change huh?" Jongin chuckled. His hand softly runs on her short hair.

"Hmm? What do you mean?" She asked.

"You still like penguin."

"But you love them too." Kyungsoo said.

"I know. But you're obsessed with them." Jongin chuckled.

"I'm not" she pouted.

"I don't think so!" The husband keep on teasing her.
"Ahh. Let me get something"

Jongin stood up and run inside their bedroom.

"Do you have a gift for me?" She yelled.

"Just wait" Jongin answered back, who was still inside the room.




With a grin on his face and  familiar box on his hand, Jongin went out of the room.

"What's that?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Tadaa" he gave her the box.

"H-how did you find this?"

"Before I went to Greece to find you, your dad gave this to me. He thought you were going to give this to me since there's my name in the box." He smiled.
"Then i found all these postcards and Dyororo inside"

"I thought I've lost this. I've been looking for this before we transferred."
Kyungsoo said and take Dyororo out of the box.



These things are very important to her. Though, she hid it for a long time, it's still the memories she treasure the most.

And for the post cards, she can finally asked Jongin about them.

"Did you send these postcards?" She asked as she held out one.

"No." He shakes his head.

She frowned. Is he lying?

"The one you were holding, it's not mine." He chuckled.

"Huh?" Kyungsoo then looked at the back of the postcard she was holding and read the name of the sender.
"HANNIE! eyyyy why was it here."

It's a postcard from Luhan.


"But I'm still happy you're still keeping these, and even Dyororo!" Her husband smile.

"When you were in LA, someone has been sending me postcards. From my birthday up to christmas. The hand writing is not familiar and there's no name in it. But i still assumed and hoped that it's from you" she said.

"I've practiced a different hand just to send you this." He proudly said.
"Coz i'm afraid that you hated me and you might not accept this so i decided not to put my name."

Kyungsoo put down the box and moved beside her husband to hug him.

"Thank you." She said
"Will I get another postcard for my birthday today?"

"You have me. You don't need a postcard" he laughed.

"But I'm collecting it" she once again pouted

"Do you want to go out? I'll buy you another one. And let's buy a wife too for Dyororo."


"Oh! You're right his been lonely inside the box" Kyungsoo giggled.
"We'll gonna buy some wife for you Dyororo" she cutely said to the stuff penguin.

Jongin smiled as he looked at her pregnant wife.
And without words he kissed her one her forehead.

"I love you! Happy birthday"

"You're being cheesy!" She chuckled
"But i love you too."

 

 

 

 

Belated Happy Birthday Kyungsoo 😚

Xoxo