No, We Can't Be Friends

Can I Believe In You?

Jiyeon POV

 

“S-Save me…” I heard someone said faintly.

 

“Huh? Who is it?” I stopped swinging on the swing.

 

I was at the park alone because mom no one was home and I was bored. But now I’m feeling scared and curious. I decided to go and take a look at the forest across from me. I was about to go there when I suddenly remembered my mom’s words. “But mom said not to go anywhere and wait for her here.” I stopped walking and paused momentarily. “Whatever, it wouldn’t hurt right?” I left and walked into the forest.

 

The deeper I walked; I can hear an ahjumma’s voice. “Save me! Please, spare me and I’ll do whatever you want. Please don’t kill me!” she cried.

 

I saw a flash light not far from me and quietly walked there sensing danger. What do I do in this situation? As soon as I was close enough, I saw what happened and screamed, “AHHHHHHH!!!!”

 

“AHHHHH!!!” I woke up sweating.

 

“Honey, honey, are you alright?!” mom came rushing to my room.

 

“M-Mom,” I looked at her surprised. It was just a dream, did I scream for real? I quickly got up and sat up properly facing her who came to my bed and checked my forehead’s temperature. “Sorry, I scared you didn’t I?” I asked her.

 

“Ani,” my mom shook her head but I knew she was lying. “What’s wrong? Are you having the nightmares again?” she asked.

 

“Yes…I didn’t have it for a while. But now it’s coming back.” I looked at my calendar hanging on the wall in my room.

 

“It’s alright okay? Mom is here.” Mom sat down next to me and hugged me. “Come on, let’s go eat breakfast before I leave to work and you leave to school.” Mom told me.

 

“Okay,” I smiled.

 

+++

 

“So, now that you’re partners with him, try to keep your distance with him if you two are working together.” Luna told me.

 

“Why are you two acting like this?” I asked confused.

 

“Because people are already starting to worry and some are even talking bad about you! They said that you’re Myungsoo’s target now. Look at how evil he is, who knows what kind of trick he has up in his minds. Be careful of him.” IU told me.

 

“But I seriously don’t think he’s any harm.” I told them honestly.

 

“Oh my god. IU, our friend here seems to be bewitched by his spells. Let’s just protect her from him. No matter what we say, she’s not going to believe in us.” Luna told IU.

 

IU nodded and stabbed her dumplings. “Jiyeon, don’t worry.” She said getting teary.

 

I shook my head at these two, weird aren’t they? Eating lunch with them is fun. But talking with them about Myungsoo is a bit frustrating. I mean, what’s so hard about wanting to be friends with him? He helped me in the bus; he must not be bad.

 

We headed into class after finishing lunch. I sat down next to Myungsoo who had his eyes closed as he listened to music.

 

“Class,” Mrs. Song entered room. “Hand in your homework first before I begin today’s lecture.” She said.

 

I looked and saw Myungsoo looking like he’s asleep. I decided to poke him and he opened his eyes looking at me hazily.

 

“Homework. We have to turn it in right now.” I showed him my Hangeul homework before passing it forward.

 

He quickly took his out too and we went to focusing on lecture. Time passed by quickly as we were given a bunch of new assignments to do by our teachers. School soon ended and Myungsoo and I left, sort of together, to our bus stop.

 

“Myungsoo, let’s meet up at my house tomorrow. It’s a Saturday so you can come around…10 am?” I looked at him for his approval.

 

He nodded at my words without looking at me. Okay…hopefully he takes this project seriously.

 

“Great! So since you don’t know where my house is, let’s meet up at this bus stop at 10 and I’ll walk you to my house.” I told him.

 

He nodded his head, as his face got red for some reason. Why is that? It’s not anything like he followed me home and knows where I live right? I smiled at my silly thought there. He just cared for me as a classmate; he wouldn’t stalk me to my house.

 

Myungsoo POV

 

I always secretly walked her home before going home ever since she transferred to the school. But it’s too embarrassing to tell her that and I don’t want her to think I’m a creep. I was just worried for her safety but knowing my reputation, it could easily become me being a stalker. Thank god she doesn’t make me speak. Maybe she believes in some of my rumors, especially the one that says I’m mute.

 

“We’re here. Goodbye Myungsoo,” she waved to me as she got off the bus stop before me.

 

I followed after her and watched as she walked slowly while yawning. Then she’ll walk at her normal pace again. She would listen to her iPod and sing along with the songs.

 

I smiled in relief when I saw her entered her apartment safely and not like last time. Last time, she forgot her passcode to enter the apartment and stood outside waiting for a text to come of her passcode.

 

+++

 

“Myungsoo, are you going on your date?” grandma asked me.

 

“Huh?” I turned around surprised to see her peeking her head through my door. I dropped my shirts I was testing on myself and blushed. “A-Ani! Grandma, don’t just enter my room like this. Knock for me at least,” I told her feeling embarrassed.

 

“Oh my grandson, it’s alright. You don’t have to admit that it’s a date if you feel embarrass to. Have fun and introduce the girl to me some day.” Grandma told me before leaving.

 

“Grandma, it’s not like that!” I shouted. “Aish,” I ruffled my hair and looked down at the shirts. “Why am I even trying to impress her?” I sighed.

 

Who knows what she really wants from me anyways. I can’t be expecting her to like me genuinely for me.

 

I headed out of the house after I feed the horses and check up on their health. While walking to the bus stop, I looked at the time. 9:50 am, is it too early? Does it look like I’m anticipating too much?

 

 

Yep. I did. Jiyeon showed up at the bus stop around 10:30. I was waiting for her for thirty minutes. Does she think I’m stupid now? Is she like, I figured him out. Is she like he’s lame and I can understand why no one wants to be his friend? God, I feel so stupid now.

 

“Myungsoo!” Jiyeon ran to me with some grocery bags. “Sorry, you must have waited a bit!” she said out of breath.

 

I shook my head trying to not let it show that I was embarrassed.

 

“I meant to come here a bit earlier prior to our meeting time but my mom told me to go get groceries and that took a while. I’m really sorry!” Jiyeon clasped her hands together in front of me.

 

Well…everyone has a busy life do they not? I shouldn’t have came so early. I nodded my head feeling a bit bad for having her apologize to me. I smiled to show her it was alright.

 

“Well then, let me introduce you to my house. Follow me.” Jiyeon gave me a cute grin as she walked ahead.

 

I walked behind her and watched her struggle to hold the bags tight. I went next to her and took them.

 

“Thank you,” Jiyeon then pulled me next to her. “And walk next to me. Walking behind me feels strange.” She told me.

 

I nodded my head. If she knew I walked behind her all those other times, would she call me a stalker? Aish, stop thinking about it Myungsoo.

 

We reached to the inside of her house and at I sat on the couch waiting for her, as she was putting the groceries away. Soon she joined me and we worked on the project together.

 

“So, do you have a landscape you want to draw in mind?” Jiyeon asked me.

 

I shock my head at her words. I can’t think of anything. If I choose, she won’t have anything significant for her.

 

“How about the bus stop? We both can use that because it’s something we interact together through.” Jiyeon asked me.

 

She thought of me too? Why? I nodded my head feeling confused of why she thought about me. It made my insides flutter in a way. Why is this girl doing this to me?

 

Jiyeon POV

 

“Sorry?” I laughed awkwardly to hide my mistake. “You see, I’m not good in art.” I told him honestly.

 

He smiled at me shaking his head and fixed my mistake. He was working so hard on it that I thought of what Luna they said about him. But he really doesn’t seem like a bad guy. It’s not that I don’t trust them, but something about him gives off an innocent feeling. Like winter snow melting for the spring’s flowers to bloom.

 

“Myungsoo, let’s be friends.” I told him. He stopped drawing and looked at me surprised. “I’m serious, let’s be friends. I find you to be a great person.” I told him. He quickly shook his head surprising me. “Why?” I asked.

 

I guess he doesn’t like me. Was I annoying to him? Did I force him too hard to be my partner? Is he uncomfortable around me? All sorts of thoughts went into my head.

 

“Forget I said it then.” I told him looking down at the painting board and went back to drawing.

 

+++
 

At school, IU and Luna were talking to me nonstop about their project. They were so excited that it was cute to watch them.

 

“No, you were the one who made that mistake!” IU fought with Luna.

 

“What are you lying about? If we talk about drawing, I’m the best.” Luna refused to back down.

 

“Calm down guys. You guys might fight for real at this rate.” I told them.

 

“Hmp!” Luna turned her head away from IU.

 

“Fine, fine. I was wrong. Happy?” IU sighed.

 

I laughed at the two getting angry over a mistake they made. They soon joined me and made up just like that.

 

I happen to look to my left and saw Myungsoo sitting on his desk with his head down. I remembered last Saturday’s incident. Maybe I should have him stay after school with me to finish it.

 

“Jiyeon, how’s your project going with…him?” Luna asked me.