Releasing The Real You

Can I Believe In You?

Myungsoo POV

 

“Here,” the detective gave me the can of cola. I took it and let out a deep sigh. “Don’t think too much.” He told me.

 

We sat down and he drank a can of beer as I drank a can of cola. I kept silent processing everything that happened into my head carefully.

 

“Oh, by the way,” I realized something and set my can of cola down to the bench. “Detective, what is your name?” I asked him.

 

“I already told you,” he laughed making me feel embarrassed for not remembering. “It’s alright, you weren’t in any mood for me to be introducing myself. I’m Han Il Guk.” He told me.

 

“Well then,” I stood up and reached my hands out to shake it with his. “Thank you for the help detective Han.” I told him and he shook hands with me.

 

“Wish you the best son.” He said.

 

“Goodbye,” I bowed to him and grabbed my empty can of cola. Then I headed home back to where I have to act normal now.

 

I reached home and saw grandma and grandpa asleep in the living room waiting for me. I took a deep breath and headed over to them. I bent down and shook my grandma and grandpa awake.

 

“Grandma, grandpa,” I spoke to them softly. “Wake up, your grandson is home.” I told them.

 

Grandma yawned as grandpa slowly opened his eyes. They looked at me and smiled to me. And that’s when I knew I could never be angry with these two people here. All they did was tried to make me live a happy life.

 

+++

 

“Jiyeon!” I shouted and ran to her, as she was about to enter the bus.

 

“Huh?” she looked at me shocked and looked around. “You’re talking, you’re talking to me. You’re talking and you’re not talking –no, you’re talking but you’re talking to me?” she looked at me confused.

 

“You act as if it’s the first time.” I slightly knocked her head.

 

“Well…all those other times weren’t really…” she looked around awkwardly.

 

The bus suddenly honked at us. “If you guys aren’t entering! I’m leaving!” the bus driver shouted.

 

“Ani! We are!” I grabbed Jiyeon’s hand and pulled her to the bus with me.

 

We were very quiet as I just let her observe me. She gave me the suspicious look back and forth and shook her head once in a while.

 

Maybe I should have talked to her earlier. Is it too late to change for the better? I thought about life a lot last night. If I keep acting uptight like I was being, then would I be losing people for real then? If Jiyeon was willing to befriend someone like me, then maybe I should also be honest with her.

 

“I’m trusting you.” I spoke quietly.

 

Jiyeon didn’t look like she heard me as she continued let out a deep sigh and ruffled her hair.

 

“Yah, just speak. It’s suffocating watching you do this in front of me.” I knocked on her head.

 

“Fine, fine, fine!” she moved around for a while and then said. “Are you like…suffering? Do you want to talk about it? I mean what you learn must have been a shock to you. It was just yesterday anyways, and yeah…yeah. ARGGHHH! I don’t even know what I want to tell you!” she covered her face.

 

People in the bus looked at us strangely. “Quiet down, we’re getting looks.” I went close to her and told her. Jiyeon turned red and the bus stopped. “It’s our stop.” I pulled her hand and we got out of the bus.

 

8 months passed

 

Jiyeon POV

 

Weirdly, after he started talking a lot to me after that incident. We got even closer. Or is that not weird? Anyways, apparently he’s been more playful towards me. He’s starting to annoy me a lot now.

 

The only strange thing is that he doesn’t talk to anyone else except me.

 

The bad rumors around us continued for a while until no one ended up caring. It was actually pretty quick because it’s not like we were popular or anything.

 

And before we knew it, we were graduating high school.

 

“So what college are you going to now that we’re graduating high school? You still haven’t told me yet.” I asked Myungsoo as we were sitting down on the park bench eating some ice cream.

 

“Wherever you go.” He told me.

 

“Yah,” I turned and looked at him. “I’m being serious here! Stop joking around,” I told him.

 

“But I am being serious. I want to go where you’re going.” He told me with as he faced me and his big eyes looked like a cat for a moment.

 

I couldn’t help but sigh at his words. Why is this guy always speaking like this? Well…it’s better than him not talking at all.

 

“Fine, fine, you’re coming with me. Then what do you plan on becoming?” I asked him.

 

“I don’t know. I just want to raise the cows and horses in my grandparents farm with them.” He told me.

 

I smiled at his innocence as he rubbed the back of his neck feeling awkward. “I guess you’re really simple minded. I hope your future wife doesn’t mind staying with you in your farm.” I told him.

 

“She won’t.” He nodded.

 

“Wow~ so confident! I guess you got that part all planned out in your life!” I punched his arm.

 

He almost dropped his ice cream causing me to laugh. “Yah, what kind girl punches this hard? Why are you so rough?” he asked me.

 

“I just am! Anyways, how grandmother and grandfather? The last time I visited them, they were just working in the farm. Are they reducing their work now?” I asked him.

 

“They’re doing just fine like usual. Grandma has been asking about you anyways. She wants you to come over.” Myungsoo told me.

 

“And let them cook me a feast again? No thanks, although it was delicious, I’m fine. I’ll come and visit them out of nowhere so it’ll be the other way around next time.” I told him.

 

“Why are you complaining about the feast when you eat the most huh? I swear, it was like you starved or something,” Myungsoo teased me.

 

“A-Ani! I was just really hungry! And grandmother’s food was just super good!” I told him.

 

“Sure, sure. Let’s keep it that way for you.” He told me in a very unconvincing way that irritated me.

 

“I’m not lying.” I told him.

 

“Sure, you were just hungry and ate almost everything.” Myungsoo continued to tease me even more.

 

“Yah!” I smacked him and he quickly got up and started to run away. “Stop!” I shouted chasing after him.

 

Myungsoo POV

 

“Guys!!!” Luna shouted running to us as we arrived to the last day of school.

 

“Luna!” I ran and hugged her. Myungsoo was behind me and he waved at Luna and she gave him a high five.

 

“OMG! I can’t believe we’re all finally graduating!” Luna told me.

 

“Me too! Let’s keep in contact even if we’re not going to the same university!” I told her.

 

“Of course! I will always think of you guys wherever I am.” Luna said.

 

“By the way, where IU?” I asked.

 

“Here!” IU ran behind us and smacked Myungsoo by the shoulder before coming to hug Luna and me. “You guys came early.” She said.

 

“Myungsoo, what are you going to do if you split with Jiyeon?” Luna looked at him shaking her head. “This might be the last time you get to be with her. And unfortunately, due to our promises, our schools’ identity will be kept a secret until the first day of college.”

 

“He can’t live without me.” I joked. “Who knows, he might even quit school.” I said and we all laughed except him who knocked me on my forehead.

 

“Oooo~ is that true Myungsoo?” IU gave him a look.

 

He glared at her seriously then nodded his head making all of us laugh. Although I consider it as a joke, I did wonder, just a little bit. Does he really mean it or is it really a joke?

 

Myungsoo POV
 

We received or diploma and was just taking pictures. Everything was going well today. Having my grandparents here, having Jiyeon’s mom here, and being with Jiyeon. All the sudden, I saw that familiar car.

 

“Jiyeon, can you take care of my grandparents? I have to somewhere really quick.” I whispered to her.

 

“Okay,” she nodded. “Take your time and call me if you need any help.” She told me.

 

I have her a reassuring smile and left quickly out of the ceremony area heading to that car.

 

As soon as I got close enough I spit out the words I’ve been holding back upon seeing him here. “What are you doing right here?” I asked him annoyed.

 

“I kind of expected that from you my son. Cold and rough.” He smiled.

 

“How many times do I have to tell you you’re not my father? Stop calling me your son and leave!” I shouted at him.

 

“I brought you some flowers to congratulate you.” He said.

 

“You think I don’t know? Is your wife not giving you any son? Is that why you’re coming to me?” I asked him annoyed.

 

“Yes.” He said.

 

I felt angry and a bit (or maybe a lot) of sadness swipe into me. This jerk really isn’t human. He didn’t come here because I’m his son. But he came here because he saw me as his successor. He needed a successor and I was his only choice.

 

“You abandoned mom. You gave her a title known as the . She was known as your mistress who you abandoned. I was known as the mistake. You made her suffer until the end. How she died…it was all because of you.” I said.

 

He was the only one I can blame for what happened and he knows it too. That old man’s eyes hardened. He knew what I meant.

 

“Well, I guess that was a shock to you huh?” he said. “Finally you gain some information. More of the reasons to hate me?” he laughed.