The Truth That Scares Me

Can I Believe In You?

Myungsoo POV

 

This jerk. Even though I know this now, he still shows no remorse for what he did to my mom?!

 

“Then know this also. You’re grandparents are sick.” He said.

 

“What kind of crap are you talking about now?” I asked him annoyed.

 

“I’m saying that you’re not going to even have your grandparents by your side if you don’t do as I say. They’re not in good health.” He smirked.

 

“Liar.” I glared at him.

 

He reached hand out to one of his men in blacks and that person handed him a yellow envelope. “I don’t know if you’re just naïve or stupid anymore.” He handed it to me. “Do you seriously think that those two old couples are alright?” he asked me.

 

I knew they would have some health issues because they’re old now. But I never thought it was going to be serious. I quickly opened the big envelope and took a look at the documents inside.

 

I knew what I should do.

I didn’t want to, but it was my only choice.

Before anything is too late.

 

Jiyeon POV

 

“So we’ll go over and help you guys cook in a bit.” My mom said.

 

“Thank you for being so thoughtful because of this old woman here.” grandmother said.

 

“See you soon Jiyeon.” Grandfather waved to me.

 

“Yes grandfather and grandmother. Don’t start cooking already when we get there understand?” I talked to them playfully.

 

“Yes, yes. You’re just like Myungsoo.” Grandmother said. “Right Myungsoo?” Grandma nudged him.

 

I saw him spacing out and shouted. “Myungsoo!” he looked up at all of us surprised.

 

“Yes, goodbye.” He bowed to my mom and me.

 

I looked at him worriedly. I wonder what happened this time. He doesn’t look alright at all.

 

All the sudden my phone rang. I looked at it and realized it was an unknown number so I decided not to answer it. “Grandmother, grandfather, we’re going. Be safe on your way home.” I told them and we all separated ways.

 

“Answer your phone call.” Mom said to me.

 

Why? Fine, why not? “Yes,” I picked up the call. “Hello?” I answered.

 

Silent.

 

“Hello?”

 

Silent.

 

“Hello? Is anybody there?”

 

Silent.

 

“It’s probably the wrong number mom. They’re not answering.” I told her and ended the call.

 

At that time, I should have realized.

I should have noticed that it was the same number.

 

+++

 

“Is this their house?” mom asked walking ahead of me.

 

“Yes,” I answered.

 

We rang the doorbell and Myungsoo came to answer the door. “Here,” he grabbed the bags from my mom and from me.

 

“Thank you,” my mom said and entered the house.

 

“Are you alright?” I asked him.

 

“Yeah, I can handle this much.” He told me.

 

“No, I mean what happened a while ago. You still seem out of it.” I told him.

 

He just looked at me and said nothing. I decided just stand there and wait for him to open up. But we stood there with no words coming out from either of us. Well, it was better than forcing an answer out of him (that probably won’t even be an answer).

 

“Yah you two kids! Come inside and talk! How long do you two plan to stand by the door?!” mom shouted.

 

“Coming!” I answered.

 

“Let’s go. My arms are hurting from holding onto these groceries.” He smiled to me.

 

I sighed at him. He’s going to avoid my questions. That was basically his answer to me. This kid makes me worry over him again and again sometimes.

 

+++

 

“Here grandmother,” I gave some more rice for her and she laughed.

 

“Because of Jiyeon, my stomach is going to explode.” She said. I gave her a sweet smile and did the same for grandfather.

 

“You too grandfather, explode your stomach.” I gave those two one of my sweet smiles.

 

“Oh my, I’m so envious of you Jiyeon’s mother. I want a granddaughter now too.” Grandfather sighed shaking his head.

 

I looked at Myungsoo who wasn’t really eating, just poking around his food, and handed a piece of pancake for him. I then poked him so that he’ll hear what I’m saying. “You heard that? You’re falling down on the love list for grandmother and grandfather?” I trying to get him out of his bubble.

 

“Eyy, no matter what you’ll always be second to me.” he finally looked up at the rest of us but then daze off immediately again.

 

“Myungsoo is something wrong?” realizing his change in attitude grandmother asked

 

“Ani,” he lied, and believe me, it sounds very unconvincing.

 

Myungsoo POV

 

I lay in my bed and looked at my phone hesitating to call that old man or Jiyeon. I wish I were strong so that I could protect everyone and do everything for all those people that I love but I’m just not strong enough yet.

 

“Life !” I bury my head into my pillow.

 

The next day at I left to go meet up with the old man. We headed to meet some doctors and lawyers to prove that my grandparents’ health reports were authentic. I even chose a few of them myself to look at the papers but they were proven to be true. My grandpa has a heart disease and my grandma has chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD.

 

“So, can you cure my grandparents if they were under your care?” I asked for the 12th time that day.

 

“I cannot say that I will be able to cure them 100% but I will do my best for them to recover for these are health problems that leads to death for lots of elderlies.” The doctor said again.

 

“You’re the twelfth one who said that. Didn’t you guys say that this isn’t that horrible of a disease and that it can be cured?” I asked getting angry.

 

“We are doctors who do our best to help cure people, and sometimes we can’t cure them as successfully as others, so I don’t want to give you my words of absolute success in curing them. I promise that I’ll do my best for your grandparents’ health to come back to normal but like I said once again, I cannot guarantee that I will be able to cure them successfully.” The doctor said.

 

I sighed irritated at his way of answering my questions. “Then I guess I’m not leaving them in your care.” I stood up and bowed to him before leaving the room.

 

Soon the old man followed after me and we reached the entrance were our cars arrived to pick us up.

 

“So have you decided which hospital to leave your grandparents in?” the old man asked.

 

Why this damn—! I hate how he’s in such a hurry to do this. Like he’s discarding my grandparents. I’m so glad I didn’t take after him.

 

“Ani,” I looked at him and said, “I’m deciding between the fourth and sixth doctor. They seem much more reliable than the doctors you took us to meet.” I told him.

 

“Oh,” the old man nods. “I see, you only want the doctors you chose huh? I rather you chose mines because I know them personally better along with their skills but up to you. As long as I get what I want.” He finishes and entered the car.

 

I glared at him as guards opened the door for me. “I’m not going with you guys since we’re done.” I told them and left. How dare this man speak like that. My grandparents aren’t insignificant as he sees them.

 

I walked all the way home thinking about…things. I didn’t even feel the day growing colder as my head was out of it. I didn’t feel myself falling down and having to get back up again. Somehow when I looked up after a long time, I ended up in front if Jiyeon’s house.

 

“Myungsoo?” I see she coming to me from across the street with an ice cream in and a bag swinging by her side.

 

“Y-Yah! Do you not know how late it is? Why are you eating ice cream in the dark?” I pretended to be angry with her as she came next to me.

 

“I should be saying that to you, it’s 11:00 pm,” she looked at her watch on her arm. “Why are you here at my house?” Jiyeon asked me.

 

“11:00?! Yah! Why are you out that late?!” I shouted at her. “Who knows what could have happened to you idiot!” I smacked her head.

 

“Ouch!” Jiyeon rubbed her head and pouted. “I just want to shop for some snacks secretly without my mom knowing.” She said.

 

I looked and looked at her as she was showing off to me her ‘yummy’ snacks. Her bright smile and the serious concentration she puts in for every little thing she does. I then reached out and hugged her. For some reason, I have a feeling I might never be able to do this to her again.

 

“Jiyeon, if anything happens, can you still believe in me?” I asked her.

 

Jiyeon looked up at me with concern filling her whole face. She nodded her head slowly and put a smile on. “As long as you know you’re the Myungsoo I know.” She said.

 

“I will always be.” I told her.

 

“Then expect me to always be there for you. Besides, you’re the world’s coolest kid.” She teased me and did the batman hand mask on her face.

 

“Aish!” I chased after her as she ran to her house door. “Yah! How long are you going to tease be about that?!” I shouted.