The Truth About Mom

Can I Believe In You?

Jiyeon POV

 

I went to the kitchen to put the grocery when I read a sticky note my mom left for me. “Have to go work so make your own food. Don’t open the door for strangers and you better be home before me!” The note said.

 

“Aish, I swear, she never uses the phone to just let me know.” I smiled and took the sticky note.

 

I went to my bedroom and opened one of my drawers. I took out a box and put the sticky notes with the rest of the sticky notes my mom wrote for me. I loved keeping a collection of them for I wasn’t able to keep any memories about my dad so I told mom I was going to for her.

 

+++

 

“I told you to eat!” my mom was chasing me around the table.

 

“Mom, stop!” I shouted as she almost reached where I was. “Now think of it, if we continue this, my curry would turn cold. That’s worst than not eating it on time!” I told her.

 

My mom dropped her purse and sat down. I smiled and joined her. “You lucky little brat!” my mom glared at me as she picked up the spoon.

 

“I love you too! I personally added some eggplant just to make it tastier!” I told her as we finally set down. “See mom? Eating together is much for fun than eating alone.” I told her and she glared at me once more before eating.

 

We eat dinner like usual and talked about our day. I told her about Myungsoo and random things. She told me her day at work and how annoyed she was. It was like we were friends instead of mother and daughter. I laughed at her badmouthing her colleagues to me like usual.

 

“I’ll wash the dishes so mom, just go to sleep.” I told her.

 

“Fine,” my mom pretended to be annoyed as she left quickly without looking back.

 

After washing the dishes, I took a shower and headed to bed. The next morning, I woke up earlier and made mom some fried rice and grilled meat before leaving. I arrived at school early and played around with IU and Luna. Myungsoo came to school later than usual today and seemed to glare at me all day.

 

“Class dimissed.” Mr. Kang said and left the classroom.

 

I put my things away and Luna and IU came up to me. “Let’s go eat lunch Jiyeon.” Luna told me.

 

“Okay, you guys go first though. I have something to do.” I told them.

 

“Then we’ll go set the table. Come quickly!” IU told me and I nodded. Then the two of them walked off.

 

I turned around and faced Myungsoo who was leaning down like he fell asleep. “Myungsoo,” I shook him to wake up him but he wouldn’t bug.

 

That’s when I found out he was faking. But what did I do wrong to him that made him glare at me all day and then just ignore me suddenly?

 

“Yah, did I do something wrong to you? Why are you acting like this to me?” I asked him. He still didn’t move making me sighed. “Although I don’t know what made you mad at me, I’m sorry okay?” I tried to shake him once more.

 

He suddenly passed a note to me surprising me. Did he know I was going to ask him and came prepared? I opened the note and read: “Don’t make people wait for you.

 

I laughed at his note remembering what this was about. We made a promise to go to school together but I forgot. I punched his arms playfully, “Sorry! I forgot you were waiting for me. Next time we’ll come together okay? I was just in such a good mood this morning I decided to come early and forgot about you.” I kept laughing.

 

He sat straight up and glared at me. I cover my mouth and looked down from his face. He kept on his serious face and it made him looked like a kid.

 

“Sorry!” I grabbed onto his arms. “So let’s eat lunch together okay?” I pulled him to get up after me but he pulled me back. “Huh?” I looked at him as he shook his head to me. “Why?” I asked him.

 

Myungsoo POV

 

Is she plain stupid or what? I’m known for my messed up reputation. If I go and eat with her, she’ll fall down to my level.

 

“Don’t think of yourself that low!” she said making me surprised. I’m sure I didn’t say anything out loud. It’s as if she heard my thoughts.

 

“You’re an awesome person so don’t let others’ misjudgment of you make you think you’re that kind of person! If someone like me can see how nice and kind you are, then others just have to see that also. No saying no! You’re eating lunch with me and that’s final!” she dragged me to the lunch table.

 

I somehow find myself trusting this idiot. I don’t even know why I’m believing in someone who I didn’t even know that long. At first I thought she was an evil person with a plan in mind but now I feel like she’s more pure than me. She suddenly became someone I don’t want to be hurt.

 

And in a long time, I felt happy around someone outside of my family.

 

“Guys!” Jiyeon shouted to her friends and dragged me to sit down next to her at their lunch table.

 

I saw eyes looking at us, and some of the students started to gossip about us. I can’t help but sigh internally wishing I fought against her more on coming here now.

 

“This person, as you two know is Myungsoo. He’s by best friend so I decided for all of us to eat lunch together.” Jiyeon said.

 

Damn this girl has a thing for surprising me so much. Thanks to her my heart keeps beating so fast and then feels like it’ll explode to it stopped.

 

“Hey! I thought I was you’re best friend!” A girl with a round looking face swung her fist towards Jiyeon but missed. “Umm, I’m IU by the way.” IU looked at me scared.

 

“I’m Luna,” a blonde girl said having on a serious face. “Well, if Jiyeon thinks you’re a good person then you must really be. She isn’t the type to carelessly make friends.” Luna let out a smile. “Let’s be friends!” she handed me a sandwich.

 

“You two are the best!” Jiyeon told them and hooked arms with me. She sent me a wink and started telling us some of her silly jokes.

 

+++

 

I heard the whisperings again today as Jiyeon and we were getting our things to leave the classroom.

 

“Bye guys!” Luna shouted as IU waved to us before the two of them left.

 

“See?” Jiyeon turned and looked at me as she carried her backpack. “I knew those two would like you!” she gave me that charming smile of hers. “Now, let’s go!” she pulled me after her and we head to the bus stop.

 

We got on the bus and rode to our bus stop. As we got off, this man kept looking at us. I quickly grabbed Jiyeon and pulled her behind me as he got off with us.

 

“What is it?” she asked me.

 

“Are you Kim Myungsoo, son of Kim Jaehwa?” the man asked.

 

I nodded my head. How does this man know my mother? Who is he exactly?

 

“I was the detective in charge of your mom’s case. I recognize you as her son. You were so young back then; I see, you’ve grown up well.” He said.

 

“What are you talking about? My mom’s case?” I spoke out confused.

 

“You know, you’re mother’s murder case.” The detective looked at me confused also.

 

My mom was murdered? What is this man going on about? I was told that she died due to thyroid cancer though.

 

“My mom was murdered…” I suddenly felt a surge of anger and disbelief hit me. I wanted to punch that man for lying to me all this time. But still I couldn’t believe it.

 

Who would want to murder my mom? She was the kindest person on earth. Before her death, she was always there for me and by my side. My mom would never harm anyone to cause him or her to have a grudge big enough to kill my mom.

 

“Oh…you didn’t know. I’m sorry son. I thought your guardians have told you the truth. I apologize for my rudeness.” He told me.

 

Jiyeon POV

 

I tried to do my homework but I couldn’t concentrate. I banged my head on the desk and thought of what happened at the bus stop today.

 

Flashback:

 

“Jiyeon, I’m sorry but I can’t send you home. Can you go by yourself?” Myungsoo spoke to me so clearly surprising me.

“Yes…” I agreed knowing the condition he was in. “Call me if you need to...if you need anything okay?” I told him before leaving him to talk to that detective.

He just nodded to me but I'm not sure what exactly his nod meant.

Flashback Ended.

 

Truthfully, I thought that when he finally speaks to me, it’d be a good memory. But it was a memory that made me worried for him and that I’m sure he’ll only remember it as the day he finds out the truth about his mother. I really want him to be alright. No matter how big of a shock this is, I really want him to okay at least.

 

Myungsoo POV

 

I rushed home and slammed the door opened.

 

“Oh Myungsoo, you’re home kind of late!” Grandma shouted to me as she was bringing a pot of hot soup to the table.

 

“You two knew.” I said my anger surge to the top looking at them smiling at me so innocently. “How could you two act like this around me knowing the truth behind my mom’s death?!” I shouted at them for the very first time.

 

“M-Myungsoo,” grandma looked at me shocked as grandpa had on this unreadable expression.

 

“Myungsoo, that’s no way to talk to the elders. Apologize right now!” grandpa raised his voice at me.

 

“How long were you two planning on keeping me in the dark huh?” I scoffed in disbelief. “Did you guys think I was that weak that I can’t handle the truth?!” I shouted.

 

“We did what we thought was the best for you.” Grandpa said.

 

“How is this the best for me huh? Why is this the best choice?!” I asked him confused.

 

“Then why are you so angry?” grandpa asked me.

 

… This stupid imagination of mines.

 

I came back to reality and felt the wooden on the bench to make sure I wasn’t dreaming. I heard footsteps approaching me and turned to look at the detective returning to the bench holding a can of beer and a can of cola.

 

I’m not angry with grandma and grandpa for not telling me. I’m just upset to be kept in the dark for this long. I just feel this pain that I never left before, it hurts.