T E N - S O O Y U N

Far by Sight, But Close at Heart

It was dark and misty. I couldn't see properly. My ankle was sprained but i couldn't see anyone to seek for help. I was terrified, alone; no Taemin, no Appa, no Key oppa, Jonghyun oppa or Onew oppa, not even Umma. Tears started flowing down my cheeks. I wanted to die right there. Suddenly a beam of white light shone from a far. I squint my eyes to adjust my vision and see a figure walking towards me. 

" Never give up my angel, I'm always here for you. Remember I told you 'its's not goodbye'? It will never be sweetie. Stay strong."

"Umma?" I was in deep shock. It can't be. Umma? This must be a dream. "UMMA!" I yelled out aloud. I can't let a chance of being together with Umma again slip. Not even if this is all a dream. The figure came closer and Umma's appearance became clearer. She was more beautiful than ever. Her smile. Oh her ever so sweet, pure smile.

"Yes my dear?" I try to get up so i could just lunge myself at her like I usually do after school 6 years ago.

"Why did you leave? Don't leave me again. Please, I beg you. Appa remarried! He broke his promise umma! He broke his promise!" As soon as I got up. Isobbed onto her shoulder. "I'm getting teased at school because of it! I usually don't care but now.. it hurts so much! It stings my heart. But I can't be weak in front of Taeminnie."

"Ssshh.. I know" she hushed me and caressed my hair like she always did when i cried on her.  "I know Appa remarried, I know he broke his promise. But i forgive him."

"Why? He broke your heart umma! He broke everyone's heart!"

"Because he's human. Everyone makes mistakes. Even me. Nobody's perfect sweetie. We just have to accept it. Anyway why are you being like this? What happen to the cheery Soo Yun i know and raised? What happened to that angelic smile I saw and hope to always see?" Embarrassed of all the crying and sobbing, I wiped my tears straight away.

"I'm just happy you're here umma." I chuckled back.

"I never left you" she says, "or Taemin, or Appa. nor Jonghyun, Key or Onew. Not even him." I smiled.

"But it's been six years!" then something hit me. "Him? who's him? what him?"

"Say thanks to him for what he's done for you. Take care of Taemin and everyone else okay? even your step mom! Saranghae."

"Deh Umma. You're talking like you're leaving." I joked. But as soon as i said it, I began to feel that i was hugging myself. When I opened my eyes, Umma was already ten metres away from me, disappearing into the mist. 

"It's not goodbye remember. and don't forget about the necklace i gave you!" her voice echoed. I grabbed the heart pendant necklace hanging on my collarbone and kept what was engraved on it. I felt something ping inside of me. Like happiness or joy. Maybe warmth? But I couldn't pin point exactly what it was. Suddenly another beam of light appeared. I was so happy thinking it was umma changing her mind about leaving but it wasn't. Instead it was Nicole.

Then the scene at the beach replayed right in front of me, except this time it was worst. Nicole stared saying bad stuff about umma and my whole family which just shattered me. Then another beam of light appeared. It was him. The guy who saved me.The guy I have to thanks. Though his face wasn't clear. He had wavy brown hair up to the top of his shoulder. He was like an angel.  But before i coud do anything, more lights appeared and different people came in. It started to get noisy. just then I spot a lady smiling at everything going on. It was umma. One by one lights disappeared. Then it ws umma's turn.

"No!" I started  shaking my head and panicking "No umma! Not you too!! No!! UMMAA!!"

"Fighting!!" she whispered with a fist punching the air. Then I balcked out again.

I started to feel someone holding my hand and crying next to me. I wanted to open my eyes but it was so hard. The brightness of the light made it even harder. Then slowly, my eyes fluttered open. I looked around and didn't notice the place I was in. I looked to my right and see Taemin crying. I looked to my left and where there were machines and my hand being injected with all sorts of liquids. I came to my senses to  realise I'm in the hospital.