Not A Bad Guy

너에게 간다 (I'm Going To You) | Hiatus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Why do you keep getting yourself fired?"

Jieun rolled her eyes at her older brother, who came to her condo unit just to nag at her. He had always been better at it than their mother, and Jieun knew he would be like this the moment he knew about her quitting her job. She had lived no more than three years in Korea after she moved back from Japan, but she had been to seven jobs already. Now eight.

"I didn't get fired. I quit." She was the one firing her boss. The guy had been a ert and he kept trying to get her drunk at every get togethers after their work. Considering he was fifteen years older than her, she hated it more. But of course, she wouldn't tell her brother, Jigyung about that. 

"So you're gonna live as a bum now?"

"Gosh. I'm going to find a new job, okay." She always found jobs. She just didn't stay in it. She liked to be spontaneous, and adventurous, and so then it reflected in her career. Finishing three degrees, she had more qualifications than most, but she never apply them. "Now you better leave, or else your wife will have a mental breakdown."

His brother and his wife had triplets four years ago, and that was why she decided to come back home to Korea. She loved kids, and she loved taking care of the boys.

"I'll come by and babysit more often now," she said. "Don't you like it?"

"Don't try to live off me now." He picked his coat and went out. Why would he wear a coat in this hot weather, she didn't know. He gave her a card. "That's a friend of mine. He was looking to hire an interior designer."

She read the card. "Why would a film producer need an interior designer?"

"For interior designing. Don't worry, he's a big time producer. Maybe he's buying a new house and he needs furnishing."

"Then we should look for a furnishing company for him." Jikyung glared at her. Eighteen years ago, it would have worked. But not now. "Fine. I'll contact him." He stood there at the door and crossed his arms in front of him. Sighing, Jieun dialed the phone number on the phone and let it ring. "Hello?"

 


*****************


"So your brother gave me your portfolio," the PDnim was saying, shifting through a huge envelope of drafts and finished designs. Most of them were from Jieun's college days, and that's because that was when her designing careers ended. She ventured into animation after that, which led her to study and work in Japan for eight years. "And they were impressive. The concepts were all original and very unique."

"Well, there's no such thing as slightly unique, is there?" she mumbled, and then bit her lip. She shouldn't have said that. To her surprise, though, the producer was smiling. Jieun tried to search from any ersion in them so she'd know if she needed to run away.

"Exactly. There's boldness to these designs, and you weren't afraid to use your imagination and show it to the world."

Well, it wasn't like she televised it on National Geographic, or something. She even actually tried to hide them! Her brother had his ways of finding them, though.

"And I'm really tired of typical interior designs for my every set, and I don't want to hire contractors anymore," he went on, making no sense to Jieun. Wasn't he trying to contract her for his new house? Doesn't that make her a contractor? "I want a permanent interior designer in my team. And since you had film experience--"

"That was just two semesters, really. And it was not acting--" It was actually videography and photography... and she grew tired of it fast, well, that was because her professor had peeked at her tent while she was sleeping in their MT that time.

"Videography, yes, I'm aware," the PD went on. "And that's why it's perfect. You can think about your negotiations, but my initial offer is a two-year contract," the guy presented her legal documents. "And the rate is there, also negotiable. Can I get your answer in two days time? I'm kind of in a rush these days."

Two years? She knew her answer. "I don't think I can take it. Sorry." She stood up.

"Let me add another zero to the rate, then."

Jieun stopped midway. Another zero? She didn't want to look so interested b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter