Chapter 4

I Wanna See You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Why does it have to be you?

 

 

Luhan eventually awoke and shifted in his bed. He groaned and forced his warm body to get up when a dry, shallow cough escaped his lips and the knocks outside ceased. Despite his body being on the verge of collapsing once again, Luhan proceeded towards the door, with high hopes that it wasn't just anybody but his mother waiting for him to open the door.  

He was tired and he needed her. He'd missed work and though he was scared to lose his jobs, he had no choice. He felt too weak to ride on his skateboard anyway. So he decided to stay at home and get well. Back when he was younger, his mother would take care of him, but now it seemed like he had to take care of himself. He understood that he was old enough to take care of himself, however it wasn't easy to accept. That wasn't the only reason his strength was dwindling more than expected from his running fever though.  What discouraged him most was the fact that he didn't have a family to at least motivate him to get well as soon as possible. No one was there to cook porridge for him, bring medicine to his room, sing him to sleep, or hug him when he was having a nightmare. There was not even a single person wishing him back to health. They probably didn't even know he was sick.

By the time he arrived at the door, he hesitantly placed his hand on the doorknob and twisted it, his eyes were closed with uneasiness and his heart was racing in anticipation. He pulled the door open, and alas, he was meerly greeted by the wind around his eye level. Disappointment swiftly coated his face within seconds. There was no sign of his mother. There was no one. He thought so, until a little voice called upon him. 

"Mister, you are my father's friend right?" It was Zhiyu, staring up at the elder before him as he gave the taller a rather concerned expression. Zhiyu was gripping on the hem of his shirt, uncertain of what to say next. He swallowed his saliva and stared longer to memorize Luhan's features, his intent stare surely mesmerized Luhan whose face fairly lit up at the sight of the little boy.

"Huh?"

Luhan had no idea who Zhiyu was, but seeing the little boy for the first time reminded him of his angel whom he was never able to raise and watch grow up. "W-Where are your parents, little boy?" Luhan had managed to say with a hoarse voice.  Holding on to his slightly aching head, he suddenly fell on his knees and scared the little boy.

"Are you okay, mister?" Zhiyu asked, his hands were touching Luhan's shoulders for support and just as he was about to call his father for help, Luhan's strange words instantly made him terminate the idea.

"I'm okay," Luhan mumbled, forcing himself to get up once again, but this time he was pulled into Zhiyu's small arms, enveloped in a child's charming and caring embrace which melted his heart. Luhan was strangely overwhelmed by this as an unfathomable emotion flooded in his soul all of a sudden. Hence, he couldn't say a word nor explain his feelings in that moment. There was this strange feeling inside him, like he could finally move mountains or shape his own life; the life that had almost forgotten. His heart was beating irregularly, albeit he didn't even realize how loud it was with his chest practically buried against Zhiyu's chest.

"My daddy always feels better when I give him a hug," Zhiyu whispered coolly, his hug was probably the gentlest hug Luhan had ever received. "Daddy said my hug is a very useful power. I really hope that my power hug will also work with you, mister..." Zhiyu smiled and Luhan couldn't be more surprised when Zhiyu rubbed his wet back caringly. "Zhiyu will be very happy if Daddy's friend is back to health," Zhiyu resumed, "Zhiyu wishes you back to health so he can see you everyday. Zhiyu also really wants to see you sing with Daddy. So please get well, mister. Daddy is waiting for you..."

A baffled expression shortly crossed Luhan's face. He couldn't find the strength to move away, so he fought the urge of hugging back the child. Luhan was not used to it. Never had he been hugged by a child before. He was not even able to hold his own baby once. Thus, he closed his eyes in an attempt to hold back his tears and to stop remembering the death of his little angel. Still, his hands were in the air, shaking and dying to hold the adorable yet unknown child back. For some reason, Luhan felt so vulnerable, too weak that he could turn into little fragments of glass and disappear from the face of the world at any moment in time. He felt his tears prickling against his skin, and his mouth opened slightly as if he wanted to say something, but then his voice refused to leak out and he ended up crying quietly. 

When Zhiyu pulled away, he gave the elder another worried glance before picking up the basket of fruits which Chanyeol brought earlier and handing it over to Luhan. He once again asked Luhan to get better, grinning in such a priceless way that Luhan wished to see that smile everyday. But Luhan denied that and told the child, "You should go home. I don't want you to catch my flu," and so he stood up, turned his back, and flew inside.

Zhiyu stayed put, confused. He looked at the door with wonder. He could hear that person whimpering, and he could sense that he was in pain. He blinked his eyes and attempted to open the door. Realizing it was locked, he knocked instead though rather quietly, again and again. "Mister, are you crying?" Because he didn't know why, he asked and soon fretted about the possibility that he might have said something wrong. "Mister, I'm really sorry..."

And Luhan's whimpers became louder, that even Sehun who had been hiding behind a tree heard his agonizing cries. Somehow, the pains came back to him one by one. No matter how hard he tried to remove them, it hurt even more. Luhan just wanted to see them, but he also wanted that longing to come to an end. He was suffering too much all on his own, if he could only share his pain with someone. If only there was still someone out there, someone to ease the reason of his burdens and the endless yearning of something - or someone who no longer exist. It was indeed painful, and he was choking as the tears caked his face.

"Daddy, can you make it stop? I think he's in pain..." Luhan heard from behind the door, the child from before must have had called his father to ask for help. Luhan wanted to see who it was. With his wobbly legs, he leaned towards the door and looked through the peephole in an attempt of stealing a glance at the child's father. Luhan couldn't see his face however, the child and his father already had their backs turned. They were slowly walking away further, slipping away from Luhan's sight and reach. And for some reason, Luhan regretted not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter