Chapter 22 (Final)

I Wanna See You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warning: This is the final chapter. If you haven’t read the previous chapter(s) yet, read it or all of it first below you spoil yourself. That’s all, thank you! ^_^ 

Play music while reading ~

 

Road to Forever

 

The relationship between Luhan and Zhiyu got better and stronger each day. Since it was decided that Sehun and Luhan would take turns in taking care of Zhiyu, things just got a little bit more bearable. Luhan didn't have to avoid meeting Sehun at the school gate, because Sehun promised to give him the space he needed while he's busy winning the heart of their son. After everything that happened, rushing each other was no longer an option.

They were both broken, in their own imperfect ways. Sehun lived most of his life following orders and taking heavy responsibilities from other people, whilst Luhan lived his suffering from the betrayal of his own family and the death of his mistaken child. 

Whenever Sehun was asked why he hasn't made a move to win Luhan back yet, he would reply with the most honest — yet heart-rending answer, "I love him and I can't stop thinking about him. Yes, he's making me go crazy. But I don't want to be a mere distraction. I don't want to split his focus again. I'm afraid I might hurt him again. Luhan needs his son. He doesn't need an ex-boyfriend who already abandoned him." Even though Luhan had forgiven him, Sehun believed that improving Luhan's relationship with Zhiyu is far more important than anything else. He would put Luhan and Zhiyu first over anything, because they gave meaning to this life of his. And even though he was the one who convinced Luhan that they will never be ready for anything nor is there a right time for everything, Sehun was just as afraid and as cowardly as Luhan did before facing his greatest fears. 

"Why are you afraid of hurting him? Love is supposed to hurt," Baekhyun once told Sehun. "Even if you turn the world upside down, love is still going to hurt. Just don't make the same mistake twice."

"It's not that easy," Sehun sighed dejectedly. 

"It is easy. Look, if you sense a lying y witch again, just run away!" Baekhyun joked but failed. "Unless that's not what you're afraid about..." 

"I feel terrible that I had no idea he was pregnant," Sehun confessed, "that it was too late when I found out how much he suffered because of me. Whenever I look at myself in the mirror, I remember that it's all my fault. I remember the day I left him. I remember how happy I was when Zhiyu was born, not knowing that Luhan had been crying all alone. I'm afraid he thinks the same way too, Baek. I feel like I'm a huge scar that should be removed from his life.” 

"Hey, you're not,” Baekhyun tried to comfort him. 

"Luhan and Zhiyu deserve better,” Sehun voiced after a moment’s reflection. His eyes were filled with agony and guilt, feelings that weren’t easy to heal. 

 

Luhan was happy now. He got to spend almost everyday getting to know his baby boy, Zhiyu. Everyday just got a little bit better with each passing day. Except, sometimes Luhan would find himself imagining how it would be like if Sehun were there with them, laughing and talking like a dad himself.

Yeah, it crossed Luhan’s mind so many times. 

Part of him was just waiting for Sehun to make the move. The other part wanted Sehun to realize that he was still there, waiting for him in silence. 

A few weeks had passed since the set-up, Luhan had received nothing from Sehun but texts and updates about Zhiyu. He began to wonder if Sehun had started dating someone else.

When one day he received a text that Sehun couldn’t pick up Zhiyu from school because he was sick, Luhan fretted no one was taking care of him.

Luhan had asked Yixing to pick up Zhiyu that day so he could check his child’s father’s condition, despite having the strangest feeling that Sehun might be dating someone else. It was true that he was afraid of getting hurt again, but that’s love... Isn’t it? 

Nonetheless, Luhan chose to put his fears aside in the name of love. He rushed to Sehun’s house, rang the doorbell, and waited anxiously. Then and there, a bushed Sehun opened the door with heavy arms, surprised upon finding the man he had been longing for so long to appear right in front of his eyes. 

“Luhan?” Sehun quavered. “Are you okay? What are you doing here?” He asked almost restlessly when he noticed Luhan’s petite figure running out of breath.

Luhan, on the other hand, didn’t even realize he was breaking out in sweat. His worried gaze was fixed on the sick man standing before him. “Are you okay? You look so dead,” Luhan began to blubber erratically, “You keep on worrying me to death. Why are you doing this to me, Oh Sehun?” 

 

That day, Luhan took care of Sehun. Even though Sehun refused to give him answers in the beginning, Luhan stayed by his side. He helped Sehun get back on bed and prepared porridge to feed his empty stomach. He lowered the room temperature and dabbed a small towel in lukewarm water on Sehun’s forehead.

Sehun appreciated all of it, yet he couldn’t help but feel sheepish. “What about Zhiyu?” he asked in a raspy, weak voice. 

“He’ll be here with Yixing soon,” Luhan muttered with his eyes downcast. 

Sehun sighed with relief. “That’s good,” he smiled faintly. “Zhiyu likes you a lot. He was just with you yesterday, but he said he missed you already this morning,” he said softly.

Upon hearing this, Luhan abruptly lifted his head and met Sehun’s gaze. They stared at each other for quite a long time, as if they were both waiting for one of them to spill the beans. 

And then, without holding back no more, Luhan asked rather earnestly, “How about you?” 

The room was then engulfed in a momentary silence as Luhan waited for an answer. “Did you miss me?” The petite boy added with a fond look and again, waited for a few seconds — or more, before Sehun reacted. 

Tears began to form in Sehun’s eyes as he opened his mouth and admitted, “Yeah. I miss you so much. I wish I could hold it back, but I can’t because I miss you like crazy. I’m sorry.” 

“You shouldn’t be sorry because I wanted you to miss me,” Luhan mumbled while fighting back his tears, “I missed you too, Sehun. I don’t think I can endure another day not seeing you. I want to be with you and Zhiyu.” 

“I hurt you,” Sehun reminded him pitifully. “After everything that happened, can you still say that you see a future with me?” 

Luhan nodded his head as he held onto Sehun’s hand in good faith and smiled genuinely. “I see the rest of my life with you,” he whispered right before he pulled himself closer to the latter and pressed his lips against the quivering lips of the love of his life. It was that kind of kiss, passionate and real, the one they’d been yearning from each other for all those years. 

In the end, despite how painful it may sound, true love found its way to win against a miserable past. Hence, their love for each other won against all odds... 

 

One year and six months later... 

 

It’s been more than a year.

A lot had happened and changed. 

First of all, Yixing was now managing the bar himself. The band, Eaglesire, eventually found a new vocalist after Luhan sort of retired. To everyone’s surprise, the new vocalist is actually Sehun’s “computer expert” friend, Byun Baekhyun, who is also the writer that Chanyeol secretly idolized. As a matter of fact, ever since Baekhyun joined the band, Chanyeol have been lingering around the new vocalist like a strong perfume.

And Baekhyun absolutely hated his guts. Only because he can’t help but fall for the drummer and his awfully awkward guts. Notwithstanding the fact that, he already rejected Chanyeol's feelings the first time a few months ago. 

“Why are you looking at me like that?” Chanyeol asked the new vocalist after performing his solo on stage. “Did you finally fall for me, author-nim?” 

Baekhyun laughed wryly. “That was a terrible performance,” the vocalist lied. 

“Really?” Chanyeol pouted. 

“Yeah, as a musician myself, I think you genuinely .” 

“Hey!” Chanyeol exclaimed as he glared at the vocalist, seemingly offended. 

Baekhyun, feeling uneasy, attempted to avoid the drummer’s killer gaze. “So how about umm,” he stammered dreadfully, “dinner?” 

“What?” Chanyeol stuttered. “Unbelievable. After offending me —“

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter