Chapter 11

More Than A Roommate

The final exam was over which meant the summer break started. I pretended I saw nothing and treat Sandeul oppa as usual as I could, because I knew I might not have another chance to meet him again after I left. Although I still couldn't find my reason to convince myself to leave, I could figure it out in a short time.

 

"I am going out for the Summer make up class, do you want me to buy any food for you after it?" He asked and I shook my head. Then he ruffled my hair and said goodbye before he left. Just a minute after, the doorbell rang.

 

"How come he can forget his thing…" I thought when I opened the door. I couldn't see Sandeul oppa but I saw a postman.

 

"Is Iris-ssi at home?" He asked.

 

"I am…" I hesitantly answered. It shouldn't be anything dangerous as the kidnap scene in dramas.

 

"You have a registered mail. Please sign on this note." He handed me a small note and I did as what I told. He handed me a letter and left after I returned the note to him. I looked at the letter with a huge mystery in my mind. Who would send me local registered mail in Korea? So strange. I tore the address card on the envelope and the logo on the top left corner caught my attention. KAIST!!!!!! This letter was from KAIST, Korea Advanced Institute of Science & Technology, the most famous university that study science subjects in South Korea. I opened it carefully, I was afraid I would damage anything inside. I read the letter word by word for dozen times because I just couldn't believe any line in the letter.

 

Dear Iris,

 

As you are being the top student throughout the whole academic year in Yonsei University and the fact that you are an intelligent student, on behalf of the institute, we would like to invite you to study at our school as a senior year student under the department of Chemistry starting from the next academic year. It will be our honor to have you study in our institute. We would provide a full scholarship of the first year in KAIST and full subsidy of the residential hall. If you would like to accept the offer, please visit the Academic Office in KAIST in person before July 31, 20xx. If we do not have your visit before this day, we would see you as you decline the offer. We will respect your decision even though you declined this offer. We are looking forward to seeing you in our school and hearing your decision.

 

Yours sincerely,

The president of KAIST

 

Was I dreaming?! I was now able to study in the top science college in Korea!!! My dream came true!!! Wait. Before July 31… but now it was already the 24th… that meant I had to go to KAIST within this week. That was fast… But this also came at the right time. This was the reason for me to leave everything here that I was looking for. I went to my room and pull out my luggage from the closet and start packing. Yes, I decided to leave before Sandeul oppa came back. It was a bit cruel though… I was not sure if he would ask me to stay after I told this to him. I knew I would stay if he asked. But I really wanted an emergency exit right now and set myself free. Sorry Sandeul oppa… Hate me if you want to… I left a note with a small duck model which made of wood on his desk. Goodbye oppa, this was the last time I said to you.

 

I called Mina and told her the news because I thought someone should know this and share this happy news with me. "Waeeeeeeee~~~~~ Don't leave me~~~" She was making her aegyo. "*Sigh* I understand why you will make your mind like this. It has been a hard time for you… Without your help, my result must drop to the bottom~~~ Are we going to see each other again? If we can't I will hate you forever." I was sure she was pouting at the other side of the phone. She was really my cute friend.

 

"Yeah I think we will. Come to Daejeon when you have your school break."

 

"No! You should come back to Seoul when you are free! There is no place for hanging out in Daejeon…"

 

"Maybe you come visit me in Daejeon and next time I will visit you in Seoul."

 

"Nae nae nae… whatever~ But you don't want to come back?"

 

"I don't know… Maybe at this moment I won't…"

 

"Gurae.. I understand…"

 

"Have to go now~ Call you when I settle down?"

 

"Nae~ Safe trip to KAIST and keep your title of top student in KAIST."

 

"Dangyeonhaji~~ Annyeong nae chingu~~ Thanks for everything in this short year."

 

"Babo~ Annyeong." I hung up and go to the bus terminal and start my journey to my new school.

 

-

 

Sandeul's POV

 

"I'm back~~~~" The house was in a total silence. "Iris-ah? Where are you?" The door of her room was opened. All the things were gone. I opened her closet and it was emptied. "Daebak…" That's the only word I could say now. There were only two possibility for her room to be emptied. First, someone came in and stole all the things. Second, she left. It was impossible for the second reason right? She was fine and never told me that she would leave, she also didn’t show any sign that she would leave. But it was also impossible for the first one.

 

I dialed her number. Du-du… Du-du… Du-du… No one picked up the phone. I dialed again and the same thing happened. After I dialed for the hundred time, nothing changed. "Ai!!! Jinja!!!" I messed my hair and got really mad. How could she be that cruel that left me without any word? Why did she need to leave?  Where had you gone…? Were you safe…? I still got something to tell you… I still wanted to be your roommate… I haven't confessed yet…

 

I went back to my room and saw a little wood duck on my desk and a paper stuck on its face. I picked up and read it.

 

Ducky Deullie oppa~~ When you read this note, I have already left. You must hate me by now and thinking why I didn't tell you I would leave. Actually it just happened today so I can't tell you. I decided to leave you when you are not around, because I am afraid that you would ask me to stay or hug my leg and not letting me go. Haha just kidding~ Please don't ask me why I need to go and where did I go. Just don't worry, I am safe for where I go. I think you should notice that wood duck on the table. It was your Christmas gift originally, but I can only give you now.

 

Thanks for giving me all the memories and experiences that we have gone through together this year. Thanks for letting me know you. Thanks for helping me whenever I need help. Thanks for cooking me the soy sauce rice pancake, that's really delicious.  Please forgive me I just have the courage to say all this in written form and when I left. But anyway… I wish you all the best and be happy. You can definitely find a girl that you love and be really really happy. If you want to hate, just hate me forever. Thank you, goodbye, sorry and I love you, sincerely and in a romantic way, I love you.

 

Tears kept rolling down from my eyes. Why you need to leave me if you love me… Why… She didn't mention where did she go. Suddenly I thought of someone, who might know where she was right now.

 

=======================================================================================================================Author note: hehe back then when I was typing the letter I cried and didn't know why. Btw you can smell the ending is around the corner. It only has one chapter left:( But right after this, maybe a BTOB Hyunsik fanfic is coming... or a rated m Seungri one (That's impossible  for not being m rated when it comes to our party panda right?)... or a rated m iKON oneshot collection... depends on my mood:) So see you sooooonnnn