Chapter 1

More Than A Roommate

"Mum! I have to go or I will miss the flight!"

"Dear just remember to take care of yourself and call me when you are arrived. Goodbye, my love." She said, holding my hands.

"Okay. Goodbye~" This was actually the first time for me to travel by myself without the accompaniment of my mum. No, I shouldn't say travel, because I was going to study in Korea. It was common for the graduates in Hong Kong to study abroad when they were not able to promote to local universities. But this was not my case, I got pretty good grades in the public exam and received conditional offers from some of the local universities. It was my decision to study in Korea because I love the culture there, except for the spicy food.

-

After 3 hours flight, I arrived to the place where I dreamed to study in. It took me some time to arrive at Yonsei University that I was going to stay for the next 4 years. I was not going to live in the dorm in the campus, which was to expensive that my mum could not afford with only her salary after paying my school fee . So I chose to live in the livingtel which was near my school. That's the only choice for a poor student who decided to study abroad. For the following weeks before the start of the semester, I explored the area and planned for how to get along with my classmates.

I realized I was the only international student in our class on the first day of the semester. But there wasn't any problem to get along with my classmates since I know Korean. Although I was not fluent to speak like a local Korean, it was enough for simple conversation.

-

I got along with my classmates well after two weeks of lessons. Mina was my first best friend after I came here. We had lunch everyday and talked about everything. "What? I thought you are living in the dorm." She was shocked by the fact that I was living in the livingtel.

"It is cheaper than the dorm and also offers free meal. I have no reason for not choosing it."

"But it has poor security! And no one can help you if you see some little friends in your room."


"Yak! Stop it! We are having lunch!"

"Wait." She took out her phone and scrolled for a few minutes. "You are lucky, my friend. My cousin is looking for a housemate to rent an apartment near the school." She checked her Kaoko Talk and showed me the message that her cousin had sent her.

"Your cousin? A boy or a girl?"

"A boy. An innocent one I supposed. He rents an apartment in Mapo-gu but he has an unused guest room. So he is looking for a housemate who can share the rent with him by taking the guest room."

"But I just have a little money and I have to live with a boy..."

"What will you choose? My innocent cousin or those little friends in your room?"

Well... I have to admit that I was really afraid of the "little creature". I seems to be strong and rational, but I would loss my rationality when I saw them. "Alright... I give in…"

"See, I know you too well haha. This is his number, call him tonight. He is two year older than us. And you know what…" She came closer to me and spoke in low voice. "I would be very happy if you two can be together. It is easier to know more about Korea if you have a boyfriend here." She smirked when she looked at me again.  I rolled my eyes and punched her arm lightly and went for the next lesson.

-

All the lessons were over, and I used all my courage to dial the number which Mina had given me at lunch. "Hello?" His voice was not the deep and charming one that I expected. It was just normal but seems like full of sunshine.

"Hello. I am Iris, Mina's classmate."

"Oh hi Iris! She has told me about you. So you are interested in renting my room, right?"

"Yes... Ummm…. So can I visit your place before I make my decision?"

"More than welcome!" He said brightly. "When do you plan your visit?"

"I guess... tomorrow morning?"

"It is fine for me. So I send you the address later and I would see you at 9. See ya~"

"See you." I hung up and went to my dream in a short while.