Peace And Forgiveness To The Brokenhearted

Smoking Mirrors

Living with someone else, someone who was not family or a fiancé, as Junmyeon once had, was pretty easy, especially if that someone was Baekhyun.

As Junmyeon had figured it out, over the two weeks that they had spent sharing the same roof, Baekhyun had been nothing more than polite, quiet and responsible. He had kept all his things clean and in its proper place, not that it really bothered Junmyeon since he wasn’t exactly the most organized person ever when it came to cleaning; he helped around the house chores and even presented Junmyeon an envelope with money inside, telling him that it was to help with the rent.

The older man had been truly touched with the gesture but he had assured Baekhyun that it wasn’t needed and that he should keep the money and save it, for either school or for his grandfather nursing house. Of course that Baekhyun had argued with him about it but, in the end, they had come to the compromise, Baekhyun would be in charge on the electricity bill, since he was adamant about paying something and he kept his things clean while Junmyeon took care of the rest. What Junmyeon failed to tell Baekhyun was that his electricity company, which was the same that took care of his gas company, had offered him a special package, since he was dually their client, and he paid very little of electricity, partially because he didn’t spend that much time home, working a lot of the time.

Also, it was easy to live with Baekhyun who respected his boundaries and his space. It was rare for them to eat breakfast together, most of the times when Junmyeon woke up, Baekhyun was already half way to college but they always made an effort to eat dinner together. Sometimes they watched some movie or TV series together but most of the times Baekhyun had to study; however he did that in the living room. Junmyeon had the inkling that the younger man did not want to be alone, hence why he chose to study on the place near Junmyeon.

Aside from the day that Luhan had been there and Baekhyun bawled his eyes out due to the known reasons, they didn’t speak about what happened, the younger man had explicitly told Junmyeon that he didn’t want to talk about it for a while, since he was still gathering his thoughts and, quite frankly, his heart, before he could speak again about it, so the older didn’t pry.

Baekhyun had also spoken with Chanyeol and Yixing, claiming that he wasn’t going to be able of doing his regular singing at ‘El Dorado’ since being too close with Minseok would be too soon for him. Chanyeol, who had been informed about what happened by Luhan, who delivered said information on Baekhyun’s request, had agreed whole heartedly and, thankfully enough, Heechul, his boss at the coffee shop, had proposed them to sing in there in the afternoon a couple of times, proposal to which they immediately said yes.

Yixing didn’t know what happened; he just took Baekhyun’s resign as an employee at ‘El Dorado’ with a heavy heart and sad smile. He was very fond of the quiet man and thought it was a great loss for the bar to lose its singing star but he didn’t want to keep Baekhyun there against his will.

What might been weird, but then again not really, was the fact that Junmyeon and Luhan began to have lunch together every other day; the older man often said it was to discuss any progress regarding Luhan attempts to talk to Minseok, but they mentioned it once, just once and then the topics diverted to something else other than Minseok.

However, the time that they did talk about it, Luhan only told him that Minseok refused to answer his phone and he wasn’t coming to work, although they both knew that Sehun was probably still sick and the younger man wasn’t known for being able to care about himself very well in these kinds of situations.

“I tried to call him several times but that enormous douchebag is blatantly refusing to answer my calls. I left him voicemails but he had failed to reply to them. I used to call him my friend but his attitude is pissing me off.” said Luhan while lifting his fork to his mouth, biting on the carbonara pasta he had ordered.

“Do you reckon that Sehun knows about his? I mean, the kid looks sweet and he surely cared a lot about Baekhyun. Or at least it looked like that. I remember that time I met you all at the bar and he was all up on Baekhyun.” questioned Junmyeon looking at the blond male in front of him.

“Yeah, he actually did. He showered Baekhyun with cuddles, draping himself all over Baekhyun and he was generally just as sweet about it as they could be. I don’t know if he does know, if Minseok told him what he did, or even if Sehun agreed to it previously or something but, let me tell you, if he did know, I lose all consideration for him; like I did for Minseok. He was way out of line; he didn’t stop to talk with Baekhyun, he just lashed out and it’s not okay, it’s never okay.”

“You seem really aggravated by this whole incident.”

“I am.” replied Luhan with a tightness on his lips that was not really natural for the blond.

“May I ask why?”

“You may but I am not going to answer that, sweet cheeks; I am very comfortable with my life so far but there are still things that are very personal. Sorry.”

And that had been the end of the conversation. However, Junmyeon started paying a little more attention to Luhan, finally noticing how the man often use his charms or his quick smiles and overall sunny disposition to hide his sadness. It was quite evident and Junmyeon felt stupid for not noticing it soon, how Luhan’s eyes would turn serious from time to time when certain topics came into conversation, the problem was that the topics were so random and without an apparent link between them, it was quite hard for him to understand what was exactly the trigger. Nonetheless, he didn’t ask too many questions, the first time he ever did, genuinely curious to know more about Luhan, the man shut down on him for a total of two days. It has been unsettling to see him like that and, to be absolutely frank; Junmyeon had missed the company of the other man: he had grown far too used to it.

The only thing good out of this was that Jongdae had gone back to talking to him. Luhan had warned him about the possibility; the blond man had insisted that once Chanyeol found out about Baekhyun current living situation, meaning the fact that he was currently living with Junmyeon, he would push Jongdae into seeing the smaller man, meaning that Jongdae eventually would have to go and see him too.

It happened Friday night, a week and something after Baekhyun moved in. He was watching a TV drama while Baekhyun was sitting on the floor, finishing reading some chapters of a thick looking book for some class, when the doorbell rang, surprising them both, since it was way past ten o’clock already.

“Did Luhan said anything about coming here today?” asked Junmyeon, knowing fully well that the blond man liked to come around every other day to check on both his favorite boys, as he’d like to say.

“No.” replied Baekhyun softly, shaking his head, his glasses almost sliding from his nose.

It had been funny to know that Baekhyun actually used glasses; they suited him and made him look more innocent and a little less serious than he appeared to be. The younger only used them when he was reading or watching TV, claiming that sometimes, if his eyesight got too tired, he would begin to see all things blurred.

Junmyeon had opened the door and he had stood frozen looking at the sight of Chanyeol and his brother on the other side, the taller looking a little bit sheepish while Jondgae looked forced.

At the sight of his brother’s face, Junmyeon let out a sigh and stepped aside to let them in. Chanyeol had rubbed a comforting hand on his shoulder before moving to the living room where Junmyeon saw him hugging Baekhyun gently, speaking to him in quiet, non-audible voices.

When Jongdae cleared his throat, the action actually loud enough for Junmyeon to glance at him, there was a really uncomfortable look on his face.

“Look,” he began “you know I am not here by choice but Chanyeol really wanted to make sure Baekhyun was okay and I am one of the actual people who know where you live.”

“That’s okay…”

“We also came to get him. He is coming to stay with me and Chanyeol.”

Junmyeon seemed surprised at Jongdae’s words; Baekhyun hadn’t informed him of such thing. Was he not feeling welcome in here? The surprise on his face must have shown.

“He figured that he would feel more welcomed and comfortable at our place.”

And if that wasn’t a direct slap on the face, Junmyeon didn’t really know what to call it. Did Jongdae just imply that he wasn’t a good host?

“Baekhyun didn’t say anything to me…”

“Why would he? Would you listen anyways? Let’s face it Junmyeon, you are uptight and controlling, you like things to do be done your way and you don’t take it very well when people don’t, so I think if I was Baekhyun I would be quiet about it too.”

Junmyeon stumbled back slightly, hitting the hanger with their coats, making Chanyeol and Baekhyun look at their way.

“I’m sorry…”he mumbled, stuttering a little bit. “I’m…I’m going…yeah.”

He all but ran into the kitchen, heart in his throat, constricted and feeling tiny. He knew that Jongdae had been hurt at his words but he didn’t think it would be to the point where he blatantly accused him of not being good enough to live with somebody.

He leaned against the pristine counter and rubbed a hand against his face. He couldn’t believe those words had come out of Jongdae’s mouth, he was hotheaded but he never had been so cruel in his life. Was the rift between them that big? Where things really that bad? And Baekhyun? Would he really leave with them? Did he really think that he was that bad, so awful that he actually moves out? Junmyeon didn’t like to admit but, with everyone so busy with their lives, meaning Yifan and Kyungsoo were busy being a family, and Jongdae not talking to him, he actually found himself opening a little more to other people, to fight the loneliness that he sometimes felt. Ultimately, he had found that he really enjoyed Baekhyun’s company: learning more about the man’s past, more about his personality, about his quirks. He liked the small man and his presence, despite him being quite soft spoken and quiet, filled the empty apartment in a way that he didn’t know he was going to like.

He felt a presence in the kitchen and turned around to see Baekhyun looking at him, a little bit confused but mostly looking sad.

“I heard what Jongdae said and Chanyeol talked to me.” he simply said.

“They came for you, to pick you up.”

“I know they did, they told me that but Junmyeon. Nevertheless, I came to see about you because I can clearly see that you’re upset over Jongdae’s words and I think it is very unfair that he told you that. I know that, sometimes, you say things you don’t mean, things that can be hurtful” began the smaller in a quiet voice. “but Jongdae did it out of spite and that was wrong of him. He shouldn’t have said that.”

“He is actually not that wrong…”

“Nonetheless, even if he does think that, which I doubt he does, that is not how you talk to people, that is not how you explain something you think it is wrong about what they have said or done.”

Junmyeon looked over at the petite male in front of him, inwardly thinking about the other’s man kindness and how nice he was. Baekhyun seemed a little hesitant, probably not used to many displays of affections, but he moved forward to envelop Junmyeon on a hug, reaching forward to tightened it, trying to convey that he was on Junmyeon’s side and that he had him in high consideration, or at least that was what the man expected to transmit.

The older man guessed that Baekhyun could really understand his situation, where he was paying for his own mistakes but increased tenfold because, let’s face it: both Jongdae and Minseok had acted because they were angry at something.

“Are you going with them?” asked Junmyeon a little fearfully, not trying to conceal the dislike he had of the idea.

“Do you want me to go?”

“Maybe you are better with them…”

“I am asking you if you want me to go?” interrupted Baekhyun in a firm voice.

Over the days they have been spending together, Junmyeon noticed how Baekhyun dealt with the heartbreak he had experienced by trying to ignore it and acting very mature and very firmly, as he usually did, as Luhan told him, but he made a point of expressing himself more, verbally and physically. Maybe it was an attempt to not make the mistakes he had done with Minseok and Sehun.

When Junmyeon thought about the question he was being asked he found that no, he really didn’t want Baekhyun to go and leave him alone in that apartment, without the small laughs, the quiet words and the warm smiles.

“No.” he replied in the end. “I don’t want you to go. I like your company…you make things less lonely.”

“I am not really that talkative, Junmyeon.” replied the other with a small smile that assured the older one that Baekhyun did, indeed, understand all the words he didn’t say; in a way, the truly were kindred souls.

The fact that they were both alone and they did find strength on one another, Baekhyun was looking for a brotherly figure, someone who could hug him over and tell him that everything was going to be okay, someone who could comfort him; Junmyeon was, even though it took a while to understand, looking for someone who didn’t mind that he made mistakes, that he was insecure and he said things that he did not meant but would leave his mouth regardless.

There was no romantic attachment between the two of them, Baekhyun was still very much in love with Minseok and with Sehun and Junmyeon didn’t really was all the way through with the Minho business, since it had been too many years putting a lot of himself into a relationship, which wasn’t easy to forget and, even though he deny it until he was dead and buried, he had to admit that a certain blond stirred something in him; he defy him and taunt him, making Junmyeon show a side of him that he wasn’t aware that existed and that why he knew that there was something about Luhan, even though he couldn’t name it yet.

They were still holding each other, neither of them realizing the tears that were cascading down their cheeks when Jongdae and Chanyeol entered the room, Jongdae looking properly chastised and Chanyeol looking very upset. He was actually the first to speak, humming gently to alert them to their presence.

“I’m sorry to interrupt you.” He began. “I will not lie and tell you that we aren’t here for Baekhyun but, unlike Jongdae told you, we thought about having him moving into our house simply because I am a close friend to Baekhyun, he is my best friend, and I thought that maybe he would feel comfortable living with me since I have known him for a while and you might not be too comfortable living together since you don’t really know each other for long. However, I can see that Baekhyun is extremely comfortable with you and he has a high consideration for you and feels safe here. That is all I wanted, so I have no more business into your house, although I apologize for the sudden appearance; it’s really rude for us to appear here without warning.”

Junmyeon said nothing at the male but nodded in understanding, receiving a small relieved sigh from the male, while Baekhyun smiled at his best friend; it was a small smile, barely there, but it was a smile nonetheless and everyone was happy to see it on the male’s face.

“I need to speak to you…” announced Jongdae suddenly, after and intense staring from Chanyeol’s part.

Baekhyun looked over him worriedly but Junmyeon just shrugged and nodded, making Baekhyun rub his shoulder softly before leaving the room in Chanyeol’s company.

It was really awkward just standing there in the kitchen with his own brother, especially after those moments that they have shared just minutes ago where hurtful words had been said. Jongdae was not looking him in the eye and, truth to be told, neither he was able to look into Jongdae’s eyes either.

“Let’s not make this more awkward than it is Jongdae. I am really sorry about what I’ve said before, multiple times. I had no right to say anything about how to live your life, it is your life. I shouldn’t judge and I also have no right to do it; as long as you are happy not else really matters. So, I am sorry.” said Junmyeon in a quiet voice that amplified his guilt and his sadness over the matter.

Jongdae looked uncomfortable and Junmyeon could understand why; they had their fair number of squabbles but never this seriously, never to the point where one of them stood so much time not talking to each other. The only time in his life where Junmyeon didn’t talk with his brother for a great amount of time was whenever Jongdae decided to make a trip to some foreign country and the connection at times.

They didn’t see eye to eye the majority of the time, they were far too different, much too obstinate and with goals completely apart from each other, point taken, written in the stars, but they were brothers and they did love each other, they did share a bound but sometimes their judgement was clouded by their own stubbornness and their differences.

“I have to apologize to you also.” Replied Jongdae after a few moments of silence. “It was really unfair of me to say all those things. You have to understand that I really crossed at you Junmyeon; you are my brother and yet you call me irresponsible and immature. It hurt a lot; I wasn’t expecting it coming from you, even when mom and dad grill me about my life options and choices, I always counted on you to have my back and it felt like such a betrayal. I could take it from any person but not from you. Never from you!”

It was true and Junmyeon understood very well his younger brother’s point of view: he had hurt his baby brother just because he had felt cornered, because he had been put in a situation where he had been out of his comfort zone and he had lashed at his brother, without proper reason and proving that he could be an absolute when he wanted to be.

“However,” continued Jongdae. “it wasn’t right of me to ignore you for so long and imply that Baekhyun wasn’t happy because it was you that he was living with.”

“You are partially right though…”

“Even if I was totally right, it was never okay for me to say that. I hurt you more than you hurt me and it wasn’t okay for me to retaliate like this, it’s not fair and I am doing exactly the thing that I chided you for, that I was angry at you for so long.” Jongdae sighed before continuing. “Kyungsoo talked to me, Yixing talked to me, Yifan…stared at me; even Chanyeol told me time and time again to just talk to you and I never did, purely out of spite, because I knew you would be feeling bad about it. Chanyeol got really upset when he heard me before and Chanyeol rarely gets mad at anything, much less me, and that was what opened my eyes. I am sorry Junmyeon.”

Junmyeon nodded. He wasn’t sure what to say or what he could say, for the matter. There was nothing to say, not anymore they each had said their piece; they each had spoken about their guilt and about their troubles. It wasn’t completely forgotten and it wasn’t completely forgive but, from the moment Junmyeon nodded and Jongdae nodded back, there was a mutual understanding to put that episode behind their backs and move along.

“I see that Baekhyun seems okay but, tell me, is he really?” asked Jongdae after a few moments, changing the subject to Baekhyun, declaring that the previous topic was really dealt and done with, without words.

“He looks okay but he really isn’t. There are some moments were you can see that he smiles to stop himself from crumbling. It was too much of a blow on top of so many problems, it will take a while, a long while, for him to be okay but he will get there.”

“That’s good; I am happy to hear that despite of what happened. Has Minseok said anything?”

“No, Minseok hasn’t said anything. Luhan tried talk to him but Minseok is avoiding him as much as he is avoiding everyone. And Yixing actually told me that he has been home taking care of Sehun.”

“It is really strange that Sehun hadn’t said anything about this. He seemed so devoted to Baekhyun, following him like a puppy everywhere and just hugging him and kissing him.” Commented Jongdae with a frown on his face.

“I know what you mean, I thought about it myself. Regardless of what he does or what Minseok does, Baekhyun is safe from them. The only thing I cannot really save him right now is his own mind.”

“But you help. I can see that Baekhyun feels really comfortable in here; his posture and the way he carries himself is lighter when compared to a month or two ago. I don’t think I’ve seen him warm up to someone that quickly, at least no one who wasn’t Chanyeol that is. He goes along well with Chanyeol.”

“That is good; he needs the support and the reassurance from friends.”

Jongdae nodded and the air turned still and more awkward than it was now that they didn’t have anything else to discuss. Chanyeol and Baekhyun, probably alerted by the lack of noise, came to the doorway to investigate whatever was going on there, Chanyeol probably fearing that one of them had gone axe murderer on the other.

“Is everything okay?” asked the tall male looking at both of them wide eyes, barely concealing the worry in them.

“It is Yeol, everything is fine.” appeased Jongdae with a smile on his face, reaching for his boyfriend and caressing the side of his face in a sweet gesture that left Junmyeon quite jealous; there was a complicity in the gesture and such deep affection that made Junmyeon crave for something of the sort for himself.

“If everything is fine, than I think we should leave.” stated the taller man cautiously looking over at Junmyeon.

“Everything is fine, love; it really is.” soothed Jongdae again, now leaning into the other’s upper body.

“You don’t have to leave, you are more than welcome to stay.” Invited Junmyeon, sending a smile into Baekhyun’s way, who had entered the kitchen to joy him near the island, questioning eyes looking at him.

Junmyeon mouthed an ‘I will tell you later’ and Baekhyun nodded, seemingly pacified at the fact that the older wasn’t closing him off nor he appeared to be any more hurt than he appeared to be early on.

“I really thank Junmyeon but we really have to go, I have to study for an upcoming midterm and Jongdae needs to actually go home and iron a bunch of clothes of his that he kindly forgets in hopes that I will do it for him.” explained Chanyeol gently, moving forward to hug his boyfriend’s brother and his best friends, not really minding the whines that Jongdae, whose cover had been blown out. “It was great to see you and to see Baekhyun looking a little more content than he was.”

That last part had been said only for his ears and Chanyeol winked at him afterwards. Jongdae was the next person to say goodbye, also offering a hug to a shy Baekhyun, who accepted it, much to his brother amazement, and an even tighter hug to Junmyeon.

“Let’s not argue again or say hurtful things.” he mumbled his ear. “I don’t like being upset with you, you’re my brother and I love you.”

Junmyeon nodded into the other’s shoulder, agreeing completely with the other’s words. There was no person in this world that Junmyeon loved more than his own brother, the brother that he raised, practically on his own.

“Let’s not!”

Jongdae and Chanyeol left his apartment, his and Baekhyun’s now he guessed, and everything was a little lighter than before and Junmyeon felt that the knot in his chest, the one that he had been supporting for weeks had dissolved, giving way into a far more peaceful kind of feeling.

“Is everything okay between the two of you?” asked Baekhyun quietly as they moved back into the living room, more to clean everything before going into bed than anything else.

“Yes and no. We talked about what happened and we apologized to each other but I guess it will take a while for the void to be filled. I have never argued with him like this and, quite frankly, it was horrible and I do not want for it to happen again. I don’t think he does either. But we are going to work on mending our relationship.”

Baekhyun paused in his tidying up of the room, simply looking at Junmyeon and the older stopped as well, eyes fixed on the younger male, enquiring if everything was alright.

“You know, it is really nice to see that things between you and your brother seem to be on the right path again; you seem to have a really good relationship.”

“We do have, when we aren’t fighting that is.”

“It makes me jealous.” Stated the younger, shocking Junmyeon, who wasn’t quite sure what to reply. “I never really had something like that on my life, I am not really aware of what family bonds are like. I have one with my grandfather but the dementia doesn’t even allow him to recognize me at the best of times, I feel like I am losing him and that bond. It…it makes me sad.”

Junmyeon noticed that there were tears on the corners of Baekhyun’s eyes, tears that were too quick to fall down his cheeks as the younger man sobbed, letting a notebook drop from his hands and raising them to his face to hide it.

Alarmed, the older of the two approached Baekhyun and encased him in a hug, desperately trying to comfort the younger. It was the first time that Junmyeon had seen Baekhyun cry so openly and so desperately after the fatidic night when he ended up becoming Junmyeon’s roommate.

“Why do I keep losing the people I love? Is it me? What did I do to deserve this? I just want to be loved.”

The babbled questions, coming irregularly between sobs, where enough for making Junmyeon’s heart break several times over; how could it be possible that people denied this young man love? And more importantly, how horrible was the fact that it was what he wanted the most? How could someone be so starved for affection and love?

Mixed with the sadness that Junmyeon felt, there was also a burning anger on the pit of his stomach directed straightly at Baekhyun’s family and at Minseok, the bastard who had managed to break the frail sanity that Baekhyun had been holding onto. If he ever saw the male, Junmyeon would probably punch the heck out of him and he wasn’t even a violent person and he wouldn’t be alone in that quest; there were a lot of people who would kick Minseok’s if they knew this happened. Regardless of his homicidal tendencies, even if he was exaggerating a little, he had more important business at the moment: the raven haired male sobbing in his arms.

He gently led the male to sit on the couch, pulling him gently to his side, still holding on to him tightly and muttering soft words of comfort and love. Junmyeon was not a man who could go and change the world, certainly not by his lonesome, since he had, apparently, a large tendency to mess things up, but there was a thing that he would do, come hell or high water, was to help Baekhyun stand up proudly on his two feet and love him, unconditionally, irrevocably and provide him with the endless amounts of love that he so sparingly received throughout the years.

“Everything is going to be okay, Baekhyun. I am here! I am here.” He whispered on the other’s ears, kissing the soft hair and rocking the male, from side to side.

 

 

A/N: Well, how is everyone? Are you doing okay? Great? I surely hope so. Here it lays one more chapter of this story. Jongdae and Junmyeon finally had a talk and cleared some things up and even thought its not what it was, they are certainly on the right track, right?
Plus, Baekhyunnie is a little unstable, poor baby tries to fake it all up but heck, in a situation like his, who can? He is lucky to have a Junmyeon!!! Luhan wasn't on this chapter BUT he will be on the next one along with Sehun and Minseok...DUN DUN DUUUUUN!
Tell me, what are your opinions or feelings while reading this? What do you think it is gonna happen? Tell me everthing, I love to read your comments!
Last but not least, remember: stay healthy, stay safe, love, be loved and be ever so HAPPY!
Cuddles and snuggles, filled with love to everyone!
^^