Twist My Heart

Smoking Mirrors

In the end they all brought Luhan home, a moody Luhan, since the man, as Sehun later confided, had been extremely upset when Junmyeon abandoned him. Poor Baekhyun had been a little frazzled thinking it had been his fault that the man was in a foul mood but Jongin had jokingly replied that it had been just a thing called ‘needy syndrome’; Baekhyun didn’t really understand the joke until the same male explained it to him. Junmyeon had been red as a tomato, trying to ignore everyone as much as he could, while Luhan pouted immensely and Baekhyun looked at them both for a minute or two before covering his smile and laughter with his hand, apologizing afterwards.

He was being cute and Junmyeon took the chance to coo at him, which made Luhan pout even more. Jongin simply rolled his eyes at the other’s behavior, since everybody knew that Junmyeon was sort of a big brother slash motherly figure towards the younger boy and that Luhan was just exaggerating in order to gain some of the other’s attention so, when Baekhyun began to move towards his room, claiming that he was going to study, the bronze skinned male snorted and pulled him towards the kitchen, making himself at home, and stating that he was going to bake cupcakes to lighten up the mood and to take some for Yixing.

Baekhyun protested a little in the beginning but Jongin was quick to make him shush, pulling him by the hand and not letting him say much. Sehun followed them, partially happy at seeing his petite Baekhyun being so content, laughing and socializing, but a little bit sad over the fact that it was not him who had managed such thing. As it would appear Baekhyun was only that comfortable with Junmyeon, Chanyeol, Luhan and Jongin, the latter being a new acquisition; Baekhyun would much later reply that those men had seen him at his worst and still hugged him and cherished him lovingly despite everything.

Junmyeon suddenly realized he was alone with Luhan, who was draped all over him, much like a leech, one would say, and he felt the embarrassment creeping all over him especially considering the fact that, not very long ago, before the trip to the hospital really, Luhan had kissed him.

He threw a sideway glance at the man who was looking at him with dark hooded eyes and Junmyeon couldn’t help but to blush so very prettily.

“Ashamed?” asked Luhan in a low tone, voice suddenly very much sober and steady.

“Of what?” rebuked Junmyeon, trying to play innocent.

“Are you really going to pretend that you don’t recall what happened? You were there as much as I was and although I did remember fainting, I know what I did, also you are blushing more and more by the second, so I know you know what I am referring to.”

The reply was voiced with such an honest tone and with such clarity that it was impossible to pretend for much long.

“Why, Luhan?” asked Junmyeon, not even looking at the other man.

“Why did I kiss you or why are we discussing something that seems rather simple?”

“Luhan…” chided Junmyeon looking stern and disappointed.

“Are you really going to lecture me for kissing you, Junmyeon? Are you serious?” asked Luhan.

“You expect me to believe it actually meant something?” asked Junmyeon with a little malice on his voice, turning to face Luhan.

To tell the truth, Junmyeon admitted that while short, the kiss had sparked something in him, like a low burn bubbling on the pit of his stomach and spreading through his body. However, he refused to acknowledge the fact, he felt like it was too close since his and Minho’s breakup and he didn’t really know Luhan for that long.

“Do I look like the kind of person who goes around kissing people out of the blue?” It took only a look into Junmyeon’s face for Luhan to laugh drily. “Actually don’t answer that, I can tell your answer just from your face.”

“I didn’t mean it in a bad way but the truth is I don’t really know you Luhan…”

Luhan actually recoiled as if he had been slapped, straightening himself on the couch where he had been sitting on.

“Just because you don’t fully know where I came from and what I did, it doesn’t mean that I am a bad person who is trying to hurt you. Not everybody is out to get you. Some of us do genuinely like you.”

“You don’t know me either.” Replied the raven haired man looking slightly baffled at the admission; Luhan’s admission of liking him, to be more precise.

“I know things about you. I know you twitch your nose when you sleep, I know that you like to be healthy and that your definition of guilty pleasure is frozen yogurt with granola or, at least, it was because ever since Baekhyun came to live here, you can’t get enough of cake pops. Or maybe I should say that you are a workaholic and a perfectionist at work but the inside of your room is a mess because you are too lazy to pick up your clothes. You sing in the shower and you dance when you are cooking. You like to read by the window because you think it makes you look smart although you prefer to read on the couch. You love your little brother too much even though you don’t always agree with him on his life decisions; you secretly think Chanyeol is the best thing that ever happened to him and you see Baekhyun as a brotherly kind of figure but you act like a mother would and you feel proud at every little thing he does. Your best friend, family excluded is Kyungsoo and you adore the out of him and you confide in him everything and you think Yifan is the funniest person on Earth. You’d die for you godson and you like to hear lullabies and having somebody to scratch your head to fall asleep. You took care of your brother until he was okay to do things by himself and excused your parents from doing their job because you always felt guilty for imposing on them, asking for time that they should’ve had for you, when they came home every day. You now think your parents are people moved by greed and you are standing up against them for the first time in your life and it terrifies you.”

Luhan’s breath was ragged after his endless tirade, his voice a little louder than before and with a hint of bitterness lingering in the words, intent on proving to Junmeyon .that he did, in fact, knew something about him. And he did know, he had noticed things that Junmyeon did not think it was possible; he was thoroughly surprised and his eyes must’ve widened because Luhan spoke again.

“I do know things about you Junmyeon; contrary to my actions or the way I sometimes behave, I do pay attention to small details, especially when it’s something that I care for.”

“You don’t like me… you just find me pretty, you cannot possibly develop feelings for someone this sudden, it’s barely two months since we met.”

“Is that the excuse you are going to give me this time? Because I am thinking that you are just randomly shooting something at me in hopes I will tell you that this is either a lie or that is a joke but I am not going to do neither. I am serious.”

Junmyeon bit his lip, looking to the side briefly; it was better than to look at Luhan’s face.

“Why did you kiss me then?”

“Other the fact that I do like you? That I find you a caring and gentle person, with a funny side and an OCD tendency that drives me nuts? Because in that precise moment, when you almost fell, I felt like the world stopped and the only thought in my mind was that you were going to plummet into the ground and you would hurt yourself badly and I thought about not having you and I died a little inside, that could happen! I was so relieved when you were finally safe.”

“I…”

“Are you going to tell me again that I am not right? Or perhaps that what I am feeling it’s all a lie?” interrupted Luhan; an unidentifiable edge to his voice. “Because seriously Junmyeon, I express it to you in actions and words, what more do you need to believe me? Better yet are you going to ever believe me? I don’t know if this as anything to do with Minho, I hope not, but you should know I am not like him.”

Junmyeon was tearing up slightly, unable to say something. He wanted to, maybe to appease the sadness that was now painting itself on Luhan’s pretty features, maybe to make him feel better about what he was doing but he had no idea about anything on Luhan’s life. It was a mystery to him and although he agreed to wait until Luhan was ready to tell him, the lack of knowledge didn’t let him think straight and move forward on with his life.

There must’ve been something revealing on Junmyeon’s face, something that made Luhan jump into assumptions because in the next moment, after a few moments of just staring at him, Luhan spoke, in a very soft tone.

“It’s me isn’t it? It’s my secrecy, my past and you lack of knowing it, isn’t it?” asked the blonde bitterly. “I told you I would tell you when I was ready. Are you really going to disregard me because of that Junmyeon? Especially after I promised you I would tell you.”

“I…” blabbered Junmyeon suddenly feeling guilty for the thoughts he had; despite his initial thoughts about Luhan, the blond male proved himself to be quite a good friend, with a good head and a wonderful heart, he had been there for him whenever he had needed him and even when he hadn’t.

“I honestly though that you could see past all those things and focus on the people that I am today, not minding the gap on the story that you know it’s my life. I don’t know what to say right now.”

The last sentence made Junmyeon look up to Luhan in alarm. The blonde’s expression was grave and very serious. He grew more alarmed as Luhan stood up and began walking to the door.

“Luhan? What are you doing?”

“I am leaving.”

“What?! Luhan…wait a minute…” begged Junmyeon, standing up from the couch and following Luhan who was walking to the door, albeit slowly, still feeling a little bit of pain and stiffness from his shoulder.

“Not right now, Junmyeon. I need to think and be alone.”

“But you’re hurt!”

“I’ll heal.” Replied the light haired male, not even turning around to look at Junmyeon.

The commotion drew the attention of the trio in the kitchen who came to the door, it was a funny sight if the situation wasn’t serious: Sehun with is face full of chocolate, Jongin looking pristine save for the little bit of flour on his chin and Baekhyun, in a huge apron, nose streaked with chocolate, looking worriedly at them, peeking between the other two giants.

“Luhan wait!”

“I’ll talk to you later.” replied Luhan “I need to breath and you really need to see what the heck you want from me…I can’t be next to you knowing that all you want is a shoulder to cry on and to complain when things don’t go your way, especially with you knowing how I feel. I just…I need to go.”

“Please, don’t!” begged Junmyeon but Luhan only gave him a look before opening the door and getting out, closing it gently.

Junmyeon stood in the middle of his living room, staring at the door with a face that was looking alike someone who was going to burst into tears which propelled the three men standing on the kitchen’s doorway into action. Jongin, who knew Luhan the longest, whispered something in Baekhyun’s ear, who nodded, and was out of the door in a second, still in time of hearing Junmyeon’s shout of “take care of him” while Baekhyun, approached Junmyeon and wrapped his arms around the male’s waist, allowing the older man to sag all his weight into Baekhyun’s body, dissolving into tears quickly, quickly joined by Sehun, who enveloped them both in his arms after cleaning his face.

“I want him to come back.”

“Why do you want him to come back?” asked Baekhyun gently.

“I don’t know!”

“Then I suggest you find the answer to that question. Only when you do he can come back.” Replied the male rocking Junmyeon from side to side, like Junmyeon had done for him only a few hours before.

“And what is the answer?”

“Only you can know that answer. You’ll already know it just formulate it better. Just don’t hurt Luhan, he doesn’t deserve it.”

“Don’t make the same mistakes as I did.” Added Sehun gently “Don’t allow your pride and the lack of communication affect that awesome relationship you do have. It’s not worthy, treasure what you have. Trust him and trust your heart instead of your head, it isn’t always right, you know.”

Junmyeon nodded weakly, still held on by the two men, ironically, one that was just a baby himself, an overgrown baby at that, and the man he saw as he own baby brother or even his son. It didn’t have the same sense of security as Luhan’s hold usually did but, nevertheless, it was just as comforting, and he stood there, just being held because, at that moment there was nothing else that he dared to do.

 

 

                                              

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jongin followed Luhan. He was aware that Luhan knew he was after him but said nothing. Eventually, he stopped in front of El Dorado, entering though it by the staff door, knowing that Yixing and perhaps Minseok would be inside the bar, preparing things for a busy night.

Yixing was there and he raised his eyebrows at the duo, especially when Luhan asked him for a whiskey at five in the afternoon, looking for Jongin who just kissed him rather sweetly before shaking his head, silently telling Yixing not to do it.

“What happened?” asked Yixing to Jongin in a low tone of voice, clearly worried about his friend.

“He had a fight with Junmyeon. I think that Junmyeon might still be a little distrusting about his intentions.”

“Luhan is being really obvious though, I have never seen him this interested in anyone since…”

“I know. The thing is Junmyeon doesn’t. The fact that Luhan clearly has a past where there is a lot to explore and with some things already exposed, as he told us, Junmyeon is curious and not knowing is killing him.”

“Junmyeon will hardly let Luhan in if he is kept in the dark…I don’t know why Luhan so reluctant to tell him, since I don’t think that Junmyeon is that judgmental, but I can understand Luhan’s side…Junmyeon should show some faith in him, some trust.”

“But Junmyeon is someone who had a really long relationship with someone that he viewed as his everything and that crash and burn “pondered Jongin, sitting on Yixing’s lap as the other placed the bottles he had been rearranging on the shelf and sitting down, motioning for his boyfriend to also sit down, offering his tight. “He is bound to be afraid of leaping into something without taking proper precaution. He doesn’t want a broken heart again.”

“Still, Luhan has been nothing but truthful from day one, he just asked for time.” reasoned Yixing, eyes closed in satisfaction as Jongin raked his finger on his scalp, massaging it with his usual gentle manners. “I understand Junmyeon’s struggle but he also needs to see that he needs to bend a little when it comes to others, things cannot go only the way he expects them, what about others?”

Jongin hummed, now completely leaning against his boyfriend, the weight familiar and very comforting. They stood there, enjoying each other’s presence for a few moments until Yixing, with a sigh stating that he should check upon Luhan and see that the other man would not wallow himself in misery and depression, earning a shocked laugh from Jongin.

He approached Luhan, who was sitting on one of the booths, near the poorly illuminated stage, and looked over at his friend who, sensing his presence, looked up.

“Where is my whiskey?” asked the smaller man, with a frown on his lips.

“You aren’t supposed to drink, you are perfectly aware of that.”

“I should be allowed…”

“But you aren’t.” replied Yixing firmly before taking a seat before him, eyes serious and posture rigid. “You know that you are not allowed and you are very aware of the reasons, if you don’t want me to get upset at you, it is better to just change the topic and simply forget it.”

Luhan’s eyes soften and Yixing’s words and he nods briefly at the man before sighing and reclining on the booth, the back of his head thumping loudly against the leather, making Yixing wince at the sound.

“What do I need to do for him to realize that I am serious about him? Tell me! I been on my absolute best behavior and I try to give him space. Today… today he almost plummet into his own dead and it was the only time that I advanced into him in a more physical way and yet, to my luck, he simply cannot trust me enough. He wants to know things that I am not fully prepared to tell him; things that are mostly still a secret. It’s not like I am trying to hide it from him, I already admitted that I have some things that I have yet to tell him and it seems that it isn’t enough. It feels like it’s never enough; he has that pre conceived idea of a prince charming, similar to that of a fiancé he had, once upon a time, a blow it all, and I cannot rise to that image, he will never see me like that. I think that to him I’ll always be the friend to whom he goes we he needs a shoulder to cry on and reassurance but who will always be the dancer that he met a bar on a night out with his friends.”

Yixing clicked his tongue and stared pensively at his friend. Not many people knew but Luhan and Yixing had met in China while Yixing was in China, his own country, and Luhan was in the same country trying to fix one of his many problems at the time. Funnily enough, or not, they had both met on a dingy, barely illuminated hospital waiting room and they instantaneously clicked, as if they had been friends forever. It baffled everyone, especially considering how different they both were but, as Jongin often said, there are connections that were just meant to exist, theirs was one of theirs. Yixing was probably the only person, Jongin also, who knew everything about Luhan’s life and had seen him at his best and at his worst, a valuable best friend, if Luhan was ever going to label him.

“Jongin told me, although only bits and pieces, of what happened Luhan and this time I can’t even blame you of anything if not for the fact that you should tell me rather quicker than later if you really like him; if you are serious as I think you are than you really should come up clean he deserved to know and you need to relieve yourself from such a burden. However, I do have to say that he is being extremely irrational when dealing with it; sure, he got cheated upon but not everybody is out to do the same with him, he is allowing himself to wallow in self-doubt and that is bad. Maybe when he realizes what he is doing to others and to himself, it will be too late and then yes, he will have good reasons to bawl.”

Luhan shrugged his shoulders and he looked so damn discouraged that Yixing leaned forward, over the table to grasp a hand in his.

“Don’t give up yet. Let him figure out things by himself and come to you, he will eventually come to you and you’ll both move forward.”

“Yeah…”mumbled Luhan lowly, looking over at Yixing with a sadness that tugged at Yixing’s heartstrings. “I am just not sure if I will like the answer. He really did seem like he didn’t hold any feelings for me. “

“He finds you handsome and he trusts you; that means something.”

“Does it?”

It was rather strange to see Luhan, someone who was always cheerful and positive, the beacon of good energies, so down. It only served to understand how invested Luhan was on Junmyeon really, because never had Yixing seen his friend looking so down. Not even when he thought Luhan had hit rock bottom, a few years back.

He wanted to comfort his friend, to say something that would cheer him up and make him smile. The Luhan smile, the one where he would smile so widely that he would appear as maniac and made everybody cackle at him, but smile nonetheless since it was so bright. But he wasn’t going to lie; he couldn’t really.

“He finds you attractive, that much we know, he admit it to Kyungsoo, who kindly let me know of the fact, and he does have some trust in you since he allows you do things that he wouldn’t normally, he allows you to push past some of his limits and boundaries and that means something…” replied Yixing softly tentatively “but whether the reply he is offering you is going to please you, I can’t be sure; not when it comes to Junmyeon who doesn’t even know what he wants. However, regardless of the answer he gives you, you are going to be okay. You have faced worst and you survived, why not this time too?”

“I cannot go through this a second time Yixing…I am not that strong.” stated Luhan with a bitter smile. “No man is that strong.”

“But you are not an ordinary man, you are Luhan.” joked Yixing, albeit with a serious face. “You faced the worst and you went down really hard but you managed to stand up again. And you will manage to stand up if it happens again, and again, and again. You will manage as long as you believe you can and this time you have friends that will help you stand up. Just don’t quit on love or taking chances because it’s not returned.”

Luhan said nothing but Yixing felt the hand that he was holding squeezing back. He looked over his friend and tutted quietly at the tired expression on his face.

“Do you want to rest for a little? You look tired. I can take you home if Jongin stays here for a second.”

Jongin, from the other side of the bar, clearly listening to the conversation nodded, his platinum blonde hair gleaming in the afternoon lights, putting his thumbs up, indicating he was fine with that.

“Nahh…I don’t think I should be home and alone right now, too much thoughts into my mind right now.”

“My office is empty right now and it has a very comfortable couch where you can rest a little.” offered Yixing.

“Did you defile it with Jongin?” asked Luhan suspiciously, a hint of humor in his tired voice that brightened, earning a surprised laugh from Yixing and a stare from Jongin.

“No, I have yet to defile it with Jongin, he prefers more adventurous places.” Replied Yixing cheekily, with a wink, earning him a soft ‘ew’ in distaste from Luhan.

“If is not defiled yet, I guess I will take up that offer.”

With a last smile, Luhan stood up from the booth and walked to the office on the first floor, entering it and closing the door behind him.

Yixing watched his friend all the way and when the door was finally closed shut, he walked towards his boyfriend, his arms snaking around his middle, pressing a soft kiss into the bronzed nape.

“How is he?” asked Jongin.

“Tired I guess…I feel like this is a reminder of everything he is trying to forget.”

“I don’t think he will ever be able to forget…he chooses to live with it. He chooses to remember and focus on the memories. At least now he does.”

Yixing hummed, face pressed against Jongin’s neck, inhaling the spicy yet citrus that was the other’s natural scent. It was comforting, especially now that everything was a mess with the whole Baekhyun-Sehun-Minseok thing, to which now added the problem between Junmyeon and Luhan.

“This is going to be a hell of a mess, isn’t it?” asked Yixing, placing his chin on top of Jongin’s shoulder.

“Hmm…Luckily enough the whole Sehun and Baekhyun’s thing seems to be on good track to fix itself.” Revealed Jongin, cleaning one of the glass cups and placing it on the shelf.

“Do you know something I don’t?”

“Sehun kissed him today.”

“Oh?” asked Yixing surprised, his eyebrows flying on his forehead.

“Yes, we were baking today and, well, truthfully playing with the food, and I may or may have not tried to make him jealous, so I just hovered around Baekhyun a little and let Sehun flip out. At one point, Baekhyun, bless his heart, he didn’t even realize, grabbed the batter and just put it on his face and Sehun tried to do the same, in the end Sehun just grabbed him, both giggling and then he kissed him. It was straight out of a Disney movie to be honest, but Baekhyun kissed back which was good. And the Luhan and Junmyeon happened. I really hope that, at least, Baekhyun and Sehun, who stayed, had the opportunity to talk and maybe get back together. Sehun is smitten, absolutely in love and so is Baekhyun; he is not as verbal but you can tell: the glances, the smiles, the blush on the cheeks. They are lovely together. Let just hope that Baekhyun can also take a decision, along with Sehun about Minseok…however, I do think that Sehun is going to let Baekhyun take charge on this matter.”

Yixing agreed whole heartedly with his lover, it would clear the air a little and allow everyone to focus on the new problem that had arisen, Luhan’s love life. He sighed a little, wishing that everything between his friends would be alright.

Jongin finished what he had been doing and Yixing’s embrace, embracing his lover tightly and allowing himself to be more affectionate since they were alone; sure they were romantic but they did like their privacy.

“I’m sure everything will be alright Yixing. We just need to believe it and be there for them and everything will be alright.”

“You’re so positive.” Said Yixing softly. “I am really glad for that, we need that. I need that.”

Jongin smiled at his lover and kissed him, lips caressing the other’s mouth gently, drawing another sigh as he allowed Jongin take charge for a second before taking control of the kiss.

When they parted, Yixing brought a hand to caress Jongin’s face, admiring the beautiful skin of his younger counterpart, the thick lips and the sweet gaze. His lover was beautiful and precious and he felt extremely lucky for having someone as Jongin by his side, despite the small age difference between them.

He wanted to believe the blonde’s words but with everything turning into the worst direction possible, he was having his doubts, despite the other’s reassuring and positive words.

Yixing looked into his lover’s eyes and pulled the other’s into his embrace, enjoying the loving atmosphere around them and wishing to stay like this a little bit more before the reality of the present time would crash into their systems again.

“I hope that you really are right and that everything will be alright; for everyone’s sake.”

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Hello everyone. How have you been doing? Have you been doing alright? I really hope so. I am sorry for the late update but, unfortunately, this week I haven't really received good news and it kind of threw me off in the worst way possible way. Sharing a little about it, I received the news that a friend of mine is currently on the hospital, in an induced coma, because he caught a bacteria on his work place and it lodged itselt on his brain. He had been like this for a week and, well, I could be better...not exactly the best news.
I really hope you enjoyed this chapter. If so, let me know and write it on a comment, maybe upvote and subcribe!
I wish you all the best: stay safe and healthy, love and be loved and stay and remain HAPPY!
Lots of love,
<3