chapter 1

Rapmon Seems to Always be in the Wrong Place at the Wrong Time

Kim Namjoon, appropriately nicknamed Rapmonster, was like any normal 23 year old. He had a job, he lived with roommates, and of course he wasn’t the best at cooking. It just so happened to be that he had a job as a producer at Bighit entertainment. He loved it. Not only because he was able to hang out behind the scenes, but because he had a passion for music. He always has. Daily, he would compose songs as well as help record them. Today was his day off because of a new duo he was producing for. With the stage name JK, Jaebum and Mark were taking a much needed day off.

The day was just starting to wind down when Rapmon finally decided to get off the couch. He’s been in his condo all day, staring at the television and watching idol competition shows. He shared this condo with two of his best friends, Jung Hoseok and Min Yoongi. Hoseok is a professional backup dancer for multiple artists. He also competes in underground battles. More times than none, he goes by his underground name, Jhope. Yoongi is a detective for the Seoul Police Department. He made his way up the ranks over the years, deciding to leave his cadet years behind him and work in homicide instead. All the officers at the station by calling him Suga because of how soft he becomes around the victims and their families. The nickname must’ve stuck.

Noticing how stressful Suga’s work has become recently and how lazy he had been today, he decided to be nice and make dinner for his hyung. There has been a string of murders that have been happening in the area. Suga has been coming home late almost every night with some kind of take-out in hand, so Rapmon thought making a simple, yet healthy dinner would be the best. He threw the food in a saucepan, turned the flame on, and went over to set the table. Placing the plates and silverware down almost perfectly, a distinct smell made his nostrils flare. What was that smell? It smelled awfully familiar. He turned around and saw that the food was burning with smoke rising from the pan. Not just burning, but on fire! He ran to get his cellphone, letting out a cough from the smoke, and quickly called the fire department.

Meanwhile, at the precinct, Suga was just about to leave the office when his coworker, Kim Taehyung, suddenly rushed over. He insists that everyone call him V because it's “cool and mysterious”. Suga found it annoying to play games in such a serious environment, but he did it anyway. V told his senior about another murder that happened and that the unsub has been increasing in how often they kill and that it is the third murder this month. Soon, this will be categorized as a serial killer case.

Suga clicks his tongue in annoyance. “I can’t believe this guy hasn’t left anything useful behind. At least, by now, there should be something that will give us a lead.”

“Usually,” V sighed, agreeing with the detective. “I hate to admit it, but this guy is good. The only reason we know it’s still the same guy is the way they kill their victims.”

“But what does shooting women once have to do with their ritual?” Suga asks. “I’ve never come across a case where that’s the only thing they do.”

“There’s not much to this case.” V says. “Are you sure you don’t want to just pass this to another detective?”

“No way,” Suga replied. “Something is bound to come up. There’s no way the unsub can keep up this ‘perfect’ crime for much longer.”

“Right...I just don’t want a repeat of what happened during the last case like this. I care about you and don’t want you going down that path again.”

Suga paused for a moment, recalling the case from when he was a cadet. V’s reminder was an alarm for the detective, but he just shook it off. “You’re in this with me, make sure to have enough worry for yourself.”

“So, what do we know about this psychopath?”

Suga chuckled at V’s choice of words. “Hmm...the victims are all shot once and are between the ages of 18 and 25.”

Suga looked at his partner. “Do we know the motive for them targeting that age group?”

“It seems like they may have been wronged by a woman of that age and they are taking their anger out on them.” V said with a grimace.

“Of course the bastard would do that.” Suga says with some remorse. “Do we know the reason as to why there are marks around the victim's neck or legs?”

“As of now, I believe that…honestly I have no clue!” V said in exasperation.

“Typical M.O for an unsub, I assume.” Suga replied. “The usual actions for a murder would include strangulation or something of the sort.”

“You should go home. You have been working such long hours and must be exhausted. I will call you if anything new comes up.”

Suga hasn’t even noticed how tired he was until V mentioned it. He let out an exhale. “Alright, I got it. Thanks, brother.” Suga paused for a moment, looking V in the eyes. “You better call me if something comes up. Don’t you block me out because of what happened with that case years ago.”

Getting someone else’s opinion on the case has led Suga to actually relaxing for the first time in weeks. Well, sort of. He gets excited when he looks at his cell phone, reading a text message from Rapmon that he is making dinner, albeit somewhat nervous.  Rapmon has a tendency to burn things and has broken many a dishes in his life. Putting his phone back in his pocket, Suga throws on his jacket and heads out of the precinct.

Before Suga rounds the corner to the house he can hear the sirens. Sirens that were an all too familiar sound to him. He panics, silently praying that they would go in a different direction.

“He was only cooking dinner, there’s no way he could burn the house down.” Suga said to himself, hoping his words would be true. However this wasn’t the first time the fire company has needed to be called because of Rapmon. He calls them when even the slightest flame has risen. He suddenly found his feet picking up pace at the thought of a kitchen in flames.

His suspicions were confirmed when he rounded the corner and saw that the fire company in front of the condo. What he did not expect to see was his worst nightmare become a reality: the whole kitchen in flames. This is a lot worse then what Rapmon has done in the past. Suga frantically looks around to see if his friends are alright. He is relieved to find Jhope trying to console a sniffling Rapmon. Suga’s seen him crying before, but this time, he just looks unconsolable. He walks over to his two roommates looks down at them.

“Rapmonster, Jhope!” He sounded out of breath. “What happened??”

Rapmon looks up at the detective, feeling guilty as their eyes meet. “Yoongi hyung…I-I’m sorry, this wasn’t supposed to happen…”

“I realize that you weren’t trying to burn the place down.” Suga let out a sigh of relief.

After the fiasco calmed down to an ember, the three boys decide to stay at their friend, Park Jimin’s apartment for the night. They were going to shack up there until Rapmon can get in contact with his friend, GDragon. Rapmon was hoping he could get them a room at the hotel that he works at for the next night. At least until they could get their condo situated.