Hypothetically

Home

Jungkook visited the playground everyday after the first time he properly talked to Jimin. He learned that the hybrid was from Busan too, and he was older by two years, which the hybrid would remind him every chance he got, light brown tail wagging excitedly as he smirked up at the younger.

It made Jungkook a little pouty but the older looked so cute, and it made Jungkook smile as the hybrid practically bounced all around the playground now that he had someone that petted and fed him. It saddened Jungkook when he had to go home though, seeing Jimin’s sad and distressed eyes despite the smile he had on his lips. 

He had grown fond of the playful hybrid, who was all cheeky smiles, snorting giggles and eyes curving into joyful crescent moons.

Jungkook had thought about it over a few times. Taking Jimin home with him, that is. But could he really do that? 

Could a kid like him really take responsibility over another?

Jungkook glanced at his wrist watch and frowned, realizing that he had to go home. He still had his essays that he had to do and let out a deep sigh. Jimin stopped his cheerful singing at the exhale and looked at the younger, a small frown forming on his lips as the wagging of his tail gradually slowed down, until it completely stopped. 

“Oh.. Do you have to go now?” Jimin asked with a light tone, but the flattening of his ears gave away how sad he actually was. “Yeah,” Jungkook muttered and ran a hand through the hybrid’s hair, gently rubbing an ear with his thumb and forefinger. Jimin tilted his head up, eyes closed blissfully as his tail swayed from side to side. It all had to come to an end though and Jimin tried not to let out a whine when the warm hand disappeared.

“I’ll see you again tomorrow, Jiminie!”


 

The clinic was almost empty, save for the occasional hybrid that seemed to be lost or aimlessly wandering around. 

Jungkook spotted the person he wanted to see, walking over with an eyebrow raised when he saw that the person was talking animatedly to someone else. 

So this is what hyung does on his breaks. Gosh, he’s practically shooting heart eyes at her, Jungkook thought with an eyeroll. He was right beside them now and spoke up, unable to contain the cheeky smile and teasing tone, “Hyung, noona, why don’t you just date each others already.” 

The two people jumped in surprise, having just noticed Jungkook and he watched in amusement as Taehyung turned flustered and Joohyun blushed heavily. The older girl excused herself and Taehyung turned to Jungkook with a frown, arms crossed as he glared at the younger. 

“Hi hyung!” Jungkook chirped, unable contain the big smile at the older pouting.

Taehyung couldn’t be angry or irritated at the younger for long though and eventually gave him a big smile in return and ruffled his hair. 

“Is there any particular reason for why you’re here?” Taehyung asked as they sat down in the break room. Jungkook had been there plenty of times, familiar with the dip of the couch as he sunk down into the soft cushions.

“Why? Can’t I just see my favorite hyung?” The older snorted at that.

“Your favorite hyung is Seokjin-hyung and it’s only because he gives you food.” Taehyung drawled and Jungkook shrugged, that’s half-true.

They sat for a while, just enjoying each others presence as a comfortable silence settled between them. There was a reason for why Jungkook was there though, and he tried to formulate his questions as best as he could in his head. 

“…Hey, hyung?” He started tentatively. Taehyung hummed as he turned to look at the younger with all his attention, sensing that this was a serious matter. 

“Hypothetically, if I find a stray and want to take it in as my own, what should I do?” Jungkook asked slowly. “Hypothetically,” he emphasized. Taehyung gave him a blank stare. 

“You know, Kookie, you’re very obvious.” Jungkook rolled his eyes. 

“But hypotetically, if you find a stray,” Taehyung continued, “Then you have to make sure that it doesn’t have any owner looking for it at all.” 

The older waved his hand dismissively. 

“Basically, you have to go through a lot of , a lot of paper work and you need a lot of money. Both for the legal adoption and for taking care of the hybrid and seeing as you can barely take care of yourself, it’s a lost cause.” Taehyung spoke, eyes softening at the crestfallen look on Jungkook’s face that he tried to hide. 

“But, it’s all just hypothetical, right?” Taehyung asked carefully. 

Jungkook closed his eyes and let out a deep sigh.

“Yeah, it’s all just hypothetical.”

 


 

This time Jungkook visit the playground way later than usual.

It’s already dark out and it’s getting colder and colder, the autumn wind ruffling his hair as he searches for Jimin. He has trouble finding the older boy, but when he does, it’s to Jimin huddled under the slider with tears running down his flushed cheeks as he tries to muffle his cries with his hands. 

Jungkook feels panick well up in him, confused as to why the older was crying. 

Did something happen-? Was he hurt-?

Jungkook let out a surprised yelp when he suddenly got an armful of Jimin, the older clinging to him like a baby as they both fell to the ground and Jungkook sat there with Jimin on his lap.

“I-I thought you got tired of me and wouldn’t c-come back-!” Jimin sobbed out, voice cracking as his body shivered, wether from the crying or the cold, Jungkook didn’t know.

Jungkook’s heart squeezed painfully at the words the older sobbed out and he hugged back, not knowing how to really comfort the other. He patted Jimin’s head, beanie in place, slowly trailing the hand down until he ran it up and down the older’s back as he started to sing under his breath. 

It seemed to help, Jimin’s sobs getting quiet and his body starting to shake less.

“I’m here, I won’t ever get tired of you, I’m still here,” Jungkook whispered softly, arms wounding around Jimin’s shoulders as he held him close.

They sat like that for a long moment, Jungkook looking up at the stars that had appeared, Jimin’s head tucked under his chin as he calmed down.

It felt like they’d been sitting there forever, feeling warm despite the cold night and Jungkook could imagine doing this everyday. 

Jungkook and Jimin, in their small apartment. Jimin, with his pointed ears and wagging tail, smiling happily and filling Jungkook’s loneliness with bright laughter.

Jungkook was lost in his own thoughts and jolted back to reality when Jimin started to slowly pull away, rubbing at his eyes with the back of his hands as he let out a quiet, embarrassed laugh.

“Ah, I’m sorry.. That was really dumb- I’m sorry for burdening you-” Jimin mumbled out, ducking his head and hiding his face as he tried to get up from Jungkook’s hold. The younger frowned, tugging the older back into his arms.

“There’s nothing for you to be sorry about at all. And you’re not burdening me, I want to help you, Jiminie.” Jungkook said quietly. It was silent for a moment, until Jimin drew back a little and looked into Jungkook’s eyes, a corner of his lips up-turned reluctantly as he tried not to break out into a big grin.

“That’s hyung for you!” He whined and Jungkook laughed. 

Jungkook slid the beanie off Jimin’s head, hand running through the light brown locks and scratched gently between his ears. Jimin had his eyes closed, expression relaxed and content as his tail swayed from side to side.

Jungkook was enthralled. He cared a lot for the older. 

Jimin let out a small sigh and a soft smile grew on his lips. 

Jungkook was sure what he wanted and what he had to do at that moment.

“Jiminie-hyung?” Jungkook asked softly and Jimin hummed, eyes fluttering open to look into the younger’s warm gaze.

“Do you want to live with me?”