Swinging In The Playground

Home

He’s still here.

Jungkook slowed down from his fast phase, almost running back home to his apartment as he was finally free from class, and stared at the boy sitting on the swings, rocking back and forth with his heels on the ground as he stared up at the darkening sky. 


 

He noticed that the boy still had on the same clothes that he’s worn for the past three weeks that Jungkook has seen him, tattered jeans and an oversized blue hoodie, with a navy-green striped beanie over his head that covered his hair. 

He was always at the playground either sitting on the swings or huddled under the slider. 

Jungkook had never talked to the boy before but he seemed to recognize Jungkook just as Jungkook recognized him. 

Maybe it was because he was lonely and wanted someone to talk to, he didn't know, but Jungkook found himself walking over to the boy and sat down on the swing beside him. He tried not to scrunch his nose up at the smell that came from the other but before he could stop himself, he faced the boy and greeted him by saying,

“You smell like wet and dirty dog.”

Jungkook felt embarrassed at what he had blurted out, not meaning to be rude to the boy -who, this up close- was pretty cute. He had just meant to come and keep the boy company for a little bit, asking him if he wanted to eat some ramyun from the convenience store because that was all Jungkook could afford at the moment. The boy on the other hand, looked like he was broke.

Flustered, Jungkook was about to stutter out an apology when the boy’s reply surprised him. 

“Yeah, well.. I haven’t showered since last month,” the boy mumbled out, sounding ashamed as he avoided eyecontact. 

“Oh..” Was all Jungkook could mutter out as he awkwardly shuffled his feet on the sand. He tried to come up with something to say, glancing at the boy again when he noticed something black around his neck. It could’ve just been a choker, an accessory that the boy probably liked to wear but there was no mistaking the carvings on the round tag that glinted under the street lights of the playground. 

Jungkook stumbled up to his feet as he tried to get away from the boy, a hybrid, staring at him with wide eyes as assumptions quickly filled his head.

“Y- are you a stray? Did you run away from home-?” 

Because strays usually meant agressive and violent hybrids that had no control and had to get reported asap. They were dangerous and rabid, attacking anything and everything.

Jungkook took a step back when he heard the boy starting to growl, a deep and low sound. 

“So what? Are you going to report me too?” He gritted out and Jungkook was ready to bolt away but froze in shock when he looked into the boy’s sorrowful eyes, so full of sadness and fear despite the sneer he had on his face. 

Jungkook couldn’t breath or tear away his gaze when the hybrid started to break down in tears, body shaking with sobs as he gripped the swing chains. 

“Just do it- No one is looking for me anyways and I don’t have anywhere to go so whatever-” He choked out, angrily trying to wipe away the tears that streamed down his face and Jungkook felt awful because- because he had been in this position too. 

But this, this was a different case. This was dangerous. 

For the people, if the hybrid in front of him actually was as threatening as people said. Or for the hybrid himself. Anyone could come and kidnap him and abuse him or sell him for money because hybrids were expensive and valuable. It made Jungkook sick just thinking about the awful things that could happen to the hybrid in front of him. 

Starting to panick and not knowing what to do, Jungkook ran home, leaving behind the crying boy at the playground. 

That night, Jungkook tossed and turned, unable to fall asleep as his mind went into overdrive. He felt sad for the boy -hybrid, but a boy nonetheless- He wanted to help the boy but what could a mere 19 year old guy like him, who already struggled to make ends meet, do? 

He’d just heard stories about how cute and nice hybrids are from Taehyung but he’d actually never met one before. If he called Taehyung, maybe the older would know what to do..

 


 

 

It wasn’t until a few days later that Jungkook made his way to the park again with a bag of food in one hand, walking up to the boy who was sitting on a bench. He nervously gnawed on his bottom lip with his teeth, awkwardly standing in front of the boy who looked up at him with narrowed eyes. Jungkook cleared his throat and sat down on the bench too.

“Uh,” he started and wanted to hit himself for how lame he was. 

He got startled when the boy drawled out, “What, haven’t you reported me yet?”

Jungkook was quiet for moment, thinking it over if it really was necessary to make a report. If the boy really was as those stereotypically described strays then Jungkook would have been thorn to shreds the moment he came in a 10-foot radius of the hybrid.

“..No, I won’t” He muttered out at last, glancing at the boy who looked surprised. He saw movement in the corner of his eyes and stared at the boy’s back. Something was wiggling inside the boys oversized hoodie and Jungkook raised an eyebrow before averting his eyes. 

“So, what kind of hybrid are you even?” Jungkook asked and leaned back on the bench, trying to relax a bit, wanting to show the boy that he meant no harm.

The boy looked at him quietly, until he took off his beanie and raked a hand through his light brown hair that fell over his eyes, and atop of his head, the same shade as his hair, sat two pointy dog ears. 

“I’m a Siberian Husky and Golden Retriever mix.” The boy stated, a hint of pride behind the shyness in his tone.

Before Jungkook could stop himself, he reached forward and ran a hand through the boy’s hair, staring in wide-eyed fascination as the ears twitched when he lightly scratched behind one of them. Despite the grimy strands between his fingers, the ears were soft and fluffy.

Jungkook came back to his senses again and hastily retracted his hand when he realised what he was doing and looked at the boy’s face. He was going to apologize when he saw that the boy was slightly blushing, a longing look in his eyes as he stared back. 

“..Sorry,” Jungkook muttered and averted his eyes to look at the boy’s hands wringing his beanie. He looked up at the sky and suddenly remembered that the reason he was sitting with the boy beside him in the first place was because he had food with him that he wanted to share with the other.

“Here!” He said as he took out the lunchbox from the bag and handed to the other, who looked shocked at what was handed to him. The wiggling in the boy’s hoodie became more vigorous when he realized what was in the box. 

The boy reached out hesistantly, glancing up at Jungkook who nodded encouragingly at him with a small smile on his lips. Gaining confidence, the boy took the box and quickly opened it, stuffing the food into his mouth. Jungkook was thankful that Seokjin had given him a lot of food that he could even share, because the smile directed at him right then was the most adorable sight Jungkook had ever seen in his life.

“By the way, I’m Jungkook. What’s your name?” He asked curiously and the corner of his lips twitched up when the boy tried to speak through a mouthful of rice.

“I’m Jimin!”