Nine

Crimson
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I could smell her all the way down the hallway, her scent unmistakable. Then again, I didn't need her scent to tell exactly who it was. The sickening feeling spread inside me as I rounded the corner from the stair well.

 

I stopped in the middle of the already dim hallway to glare at the light that flickered above me for a few seconds, the bulb teetering between life and death. I began walking again, my steps heavier the closer I got to the accursed woman. Her looming presence was infecting the building and I wondered if the humans who resided here could sense her overwhelming darkness as well. The hallway seemed to get longer and longer with each step that I took. Her aura alone was daunting, like a buzz in the air, she always held a powerful and commanding figure. My mood soured more and more with each step I took towards the apartment. Hostility and malice was in the air, the chemosignals coming to me in a flood. Hopefully they hadn't tried to kill each other yet. 

Bolts of electricity seemed to jump from the door knob to my hand even before I touched it. Growling, I took a tight hold of it and pushed the door in. Her dark eyes flicked upwards and met mine as a sinful grin spread widely across her face. Her dark hair was flipped over her shoulder as her attention focused on me.

 

"Hello Kai," she said with a nasty undertone.

 

"Cleo," I regarded her coldly. 

 

"Now now, that isn't the proper way to greet your long lost sister, is it?" She crossed her arms over her chest as she spoke, shifting her weight onto one foot. "Nara let me into this sweet little apartment of hers and all you do is glare at me."

 

My eyes swiveled to Nara who lounged on the couch, clearly uncomfortable with the situation although she would never say so. Her foot bounced up and down with a constant rhythm and she wrung her sweaty hands together in her lap. Her attempt at concealing her nervousness was in vain. 

 

"You were banished, I can't possibly greet you the way you want me to."

 

She let out a dramatic sigh. "We're family, it shouldn't matter."

 

I sent her a glare and almost spat my next sentence at her. "Of course it matters, you almost had us all killed."

 

She rolled her near black orbs. "Get over yourself, Kai, it's in the past."

 

My blood boiled, rage filled me to the brim as I clenched my hands into fists at my sides and my teeth gritted painfully together. In the past? She wants me to forget about the day that she ripped our family to shreds and threw our relationship away like we meant nothing to her. I will never forget about that day, her wish will never be fulfilled. Nara stood up and moved to where I stood, her hand coming up to rest lightly on my shoulder. Our eyes met for a brief second before turning back to our sister, a whole conversation held in just one glance. "He's right, Cleo."

 

The playfulness was wiped from her, her true demeanor showing through the act she put on, the mask she wore. Her face was hard as stone, her pale skin and black hair making her even more haunting than before. Cold, emotionless, distant. All defining factors of the Petran family. But that's all she is now, a ghost from the past. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter