Eight

Crimson
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kai's words washed over me the next day as I sat in the small corner coffee shop. My head swiveled left and right, taking in my surroundings; all of these people around me acted essentially the same. I suddenly felt different from all of them, not like how I normally did, but more of a knowing something that the general public did not type different.

 

I finally understand what Kai has been trying to tell me. In this moment, I am enlightened, exposed to the truth. Everyone here is essentially the same. They don't notice anything, they don't say anything, and they don't think anything. These people are merely shells, people who walk the earth blindly without purpose. Soon they will disappear like the melting snow, they all will because they, we, are fleeting beings. This epidemic constantly leads people to their utterly pointless deaths, and yet, its pathogen will never be eradicated. This is a disease called ignorance, a spiritual form of death that people have repeatedly wished upon themselves. 

 

People are blinded by their own selves that they don't see the world around them for what it really is. They have no idea, no insight, that the world that they occupy with their pointless mass is much darker than their minds can comprehend. I almost feel pity for them, for the fact that they do not know what lurks in the shadows, for the fact that they are clueless in the fact that they are not actually at the top of the food chain. Almost. 

 

The fate of a person is usually, ultimately, in his or her own hands. But the tremendous power in realizing the fact that a society is comprised of individuals, and not the other way around, renders people to choose the easier path; a simple, mindless obedience. One would almost feel dumbfounded at how humans, the creatures so competitive and contemplating, would accept such a vapid way of living.

 

The people residing in this city either strive to preserve their lives or waste them. I live in a city of fatalists, they haven't yet grasped that this world is a different and much darker one than they perceive. Sometimes they don't even know the difference between day and night. 

 

I feel as if my eyes were opened for the first time to take in the world before me. I suddenly felt different from all the others passing me by, suspended in a state of knowing. I felt truly alive for the first time. 

 

My eyes slid over to Kai who sat across the table from me, a steaming cup of black coffee clasped between his large hands. I drank in the sight of him, this being who knew so much and yet gave away so little knowledge. He held decades upon decades of memories and something deep in my soul wanted to know them.

 

I jumped slightly as his dark eyes suddenly flicked up to meet mine. "So how does it feel to finally understand your enclosed world?"

 

I shook my head. "I don't know."

 

A dark eyebrow rai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter