Chapter 30

Before My Eyes

So far, Seunghyun kept his promises.

He was once again visiting the Sonic every day. Sometimes he was there just to unwind, not bothering me at all. Just watching. Sometime he was there to write raps while occasionally checking me out. Other times he would appear with some take-outs and give it to us, order his coffee and went again, so fast like the moment he arrived. Seldom times, he would stay long and could be annoying that Taehyung already wanted to help me throw Seunghyun out.

Right now, he wanted to talk about something so I have to excuse myself. It must be serious stuff, since he never bothered me when we are inside the café. Good thing the customers are thin, but still Taehyung casted me a warning glance before going back to work. Lately he was acting strange, a little bit moodier, and I don’t know why. So far I know he and Taehee are good, and I tried to ask Taehyung but apparently he didn’t want to tell me.

I went upstairs after pushing my apron off me. He was sitting at his and Daesung oppa’s usual seat, leaning on the chair while looking at his phone. I took the chair opposite his.

 

“Sunhee-ssi,” he smiled when he saw me. I creased my eyebrow. I thought he would say something important, but why was he smiling?

“What is it?” I asked.

“Let’s go somewhere.”

“Ugh, where exactly is that somewhere?”

“Well, that… You’ll see.” I frowned at him with suspicion when he smiled. He acted as if he didn’t see it and continued, “Will you go with me?”

 

Believe me, I was trying my best to make myself a good boss and decline Seunghyun’s offer, but he got me when he showed his cute puppy eyes and baby pout. I groaned and rolled my eyes, but in the end accepted it as I deemed to be a ‘leave’. The others didn’t try to tease me though, and Taehyung didn’t try to argue when I told him I was having an ‘afternoon leave’, and excuse he too gets when he and Taehee are having a date. He looked mugged, though, frowning as I and Seunghyun went out. I felt a pang of guilt and regret as we went out of the café, but Seunghyun seemed carefree as he dragged me down the street that I forgot about work so suddenly.

 

~-~-

It's been days since the last time Taehyung saw Taehee. Since the last time Taehyung fetched Taehee in that corner near the house, Taehyung had dreaded seeing Taehee again. It was the first time he felt thankful that Taehee isn’t around whenever he’s in the house. If they are both in the house, Taehyung was trying his best to avoid Taehee. Whenever Taehee is at home he would be in his and Jin’s room and act as if he’s already sleeping (Usually Taehee arrives late at night and Taehyung would wait for her), or when she had her day off since the weather’s too cold for the shoot, Taehyung would stay in the Sonic instead of insisting a leave and arranging a date for them. The others might already be noticing his actions, but no one is asking. Even Sunhee, who is always asking like an annoying big sister, knew better. Taehyung is thankful for that.

Avoiding Taehee doesn’t mean his love had faded. Taehyung loves Taehee very much – when they accidentally bump into each other in the house Taehyung would just kiss her without thinking and then leaving again – that everyday seemed like the first day, when they decided to be a couple. Taehyung didn’t want to lose Taehee, and now that Taehee is more likely to drop the bomb anytime soon, he wanted that soon not be sooner. If avoiding the love of his life would be the solution, then he would do it even if it hurts so Taehee would not talk to him about it.

But maybe that thing is really inevitable.

Taehee had set the afternoon for them to be together. Taehee was so upbeat earlier in the morning that Taehyung had hoped the date will be a normal one. Taehyung happily waited for her at the park where he and she used to go, thinking that Taehee’s already on her right mind. Okay, maybe Taehee was never on her right mind when she decided to date Taehyung, and everybody in the house was saying it, but he started to hope that Taehee is in the right mind, in Taehyung’s terms.

She arrived after some time. No one's with her, which is very unusual. Oftentimes she's with somebody, actors or actresses, managers, directors, co-writers, sometimes her other friends, but sometimes she's with Taehyung alone, laughing at his jokes, cooking for him, looking at him...

Taehyung missed those times, and he wanted it to go back. But he can't because Taehee is different now. She's now a scriptwriter, and in few years she can create her own drama. The job kept Taehee so busy, but Taehyung is very determined to support her. Because of their jobs they can't go back, and he’s starting to accept it.

 

“Taehyung-ah.” Taehyung came back to his senses once Taehee called him. He managed to smile, and he motioned for her to sit beside him by tapping the bench twice. Taehee obliged, jogging to Taehyung and sitting beside him.

“Nuna, what do you want to do today?” Taehyung asked.

“I just want to stay here with you for a while.” Taehee bit her lower lip. “Sorry, there are many things to do in the set.” She breathed, and he felt that she's nervous. “Taehyung-ah. I'm really sorry...”

“I'm not complaining!” He replied and jokingly waved his hands. Taehyung wished their conversation will get lighter, but she didn't smile.

“I know.” She said, then looked back at the sky. “I know, that why I always feel that I'm...” She chuckled miserably. The tears in her eyes are in the verge of falling. “I'm such a bad and selfish girlfriend.”

“You're not.” Taehyung reluctantly held her hand. “You don't need to carry that burden.” She held his hand too, tightly and yet absentmindedly, and looked at the sky. It was sunny, yet the air cold. Taehyung couldn’t decide if the weather’s betraying him or consoling him.

“I'm thinking sometimes, if I should let you go.” She said, still looking at sky. She breathed solemnly, and then gulped, like she didn't want to continue. And Taehyung don't want her to continue. “I can't make you happy anymore. And I can't be happy anymore. All I feel is guilt when I see you.”

“Nuna.” He said firmly and clung to her hand more. It's like she'll let go anytime, and he can't let her do that. He’s not yet ready; he still love her too much.

“I'm sorry.”

“Stop saying sorry and just look at me!” Taehyung don't know what happened next. He just felt his tears falling, and suddenly he felt his own skin against his. Her hand is not holding his hand anymore. “I said I can wait. I can wait for you up until night, until the next day. I can do that.”

“You can't wait forever.” She said, but he saw in her face that she regretted it. She closed her eyes, opened them, and there's a new fierceness in them. “You'll get tired eventually.”

Taehyung looked at her in silence, and then suddenly it hit his mind. “You're the one who's tired.”

She laughed weakly. “Thank goodness you got it.” She looked at her hands, and then she continued, “I'm tired. I'm tired of this useless waiting, tired of thinking what you'll feel, I'm tired of... I'm tired of you.”

“What?” He asked, not really comprehending what she said, and daring her to repeat it while looking at him.

And as if she heard him, she looked right his my eyes and repeated the words. “I'm tired of you, Taehyung.” And then she was gone, forever.

 

After saying everything she needed to say, Taehee left Taehyung at the park. Her tears started to fall, and her breathing became hoarse. She put her wrist on her eyes, rudely drying her tears with her coat.

She regretted everything that happened. She didn’t know what made her decide to break him up; she wasn’t Sunhee for goodness’ sake. Sunhee would settle with Sonic for the rest of her life. She was almost feeling sorry for Seunghyun for liking Sunhee, because she knew Sunhee would never try to date him. But she…

Taehee will never do that. If she had to choose between Taehyung and scriptwriting, her choice would always be him. But today it’s like her mind and soul was abducted by an alien – maybe Sunhee – and bravely put an end to their relationship. Yes, she still loves Taehyung, but maybe she can understand Sunhee, somehow. Like Sunhee, she knows her chosen career would always be demanding. Demanding enough that she couldn’t leave it until she decides to retire. Because of that, she knows she couldn’t just hold on to Taehyung and leave him on the last of her priorities, and then go back to him when she sees fit. She couldn’t be that greedy.

Yes, she thought, I couldn’t be that greedy. That was the only thing that consoles her, because she knows it isn’t in her nature to be greedy. But, why is she still crying?

She kept walking briskly, afraid that when she stop she’ll be turning and running toward Taehyung again, and rode a taxi at the end of the curb. She cried and cried, and when the tears won’t come anymore, she decided to call Yohee.

 

~-~-

 

“That girl.”

 

Seungri pointed the girl as he and one of his friends are standing upstairs, away from the grinding bodies of the dance floor. On his left hand rests a bottle of beer, and his right hand was stuck on his jean’s front pocket. He is leaning at the rails, carefully watching the woman he pointed.

 

“Man, she’s a knockout.” His friends laughed, and he grinned, absolutely pleased with his style. He happily skidded through the crowd, and he can hear his friends’ cheers amidst of the blaring beats.

 

He went down and walked to the girl. Walking through the thick, dancing club had been easy for him these days; they stop and part their ways for him to walk. He can even wink at the other girls as he do.

The girl he saw was in a y red dress. Her extra-thin halters went through from her shoulders to her waist that makes her look backless from afar. Her skirt went up to her thighs, ended with laces. It was so y Seungri can’t stop looking at her. Seungri can hear her and her friends laughing as he made way to them, and now he can see clearly that they are as beautiful as this girl, though he wanted the girl much, much more.

He acted as if he’s dancing and tried his first tactic when getting girls in the club: act like you’d accidentally bumped into them. Childish, yes, but effective.

He pushed his body to the girl, merely touching her , but she reacted rather rudely. She stopped dancing with her friends and looked at him like he is some kind of annoying frog.

 

“What the hell?” She asked rather rudely. Seungri tried not to smile. He had a with aggressive girls.

“Uhm, sorry. Out-of-balanced.” He replied. She rolled her eyes, inched a little farther and kept dancing.

 

He looked at her, aghast. It was actually one of the seldom times where girls acted like that. Maybe she’s new in here, he thought.

He went nearer to her and danced with the group. The other lady seemed happy that he joined, but she isn’t. She stopped and turned to him, glaring. He returned it with a grin. She rolled her eyes.

Not in the mood for socializing then?

 

“There’s no need to act like that, pretty.” He started, screaming because of the noise. The other lady nodded to her friend.

“He’s right, Joohee, no need to act like a . Remember we’re here to find men!”

“It’s not we, Yohee. It’s only Taehee who needs a new man!” The girl replied to her friend, and although Seungri didn’t understand what it means, he continued smiling.

“Never mind that, I can be your man, ladies.” He said with so much confidence that he thought he would need restacking for a month, but the girls still felt unconvinced.

“Nah, I don’t need a man, guys.” The third lady said. “I just need to be wasted!!!” She screamed, along with a new wave of beats from the DJ. The three laughed and carried on with the dancing.

“But—” He started, but another man had cut him.

“You heard them, mister. Now cut it off.” He looked at the man, and he can feel that this man is instantly annoyed with Seungri. He sighed. When did hunting a lady seemed hard?

“I just want to introduce myself,” he said, raising his hands up. Anyway who is these men? It's not like they’re with the girls. Their clothes do not match tonight, the with black shirt and black shorts and his black hair covered in black cap and the other almost the same but with a white shirt and a taller physique. They are too brave, he thought, and smart, carrying five bottles as a bait.

 

Or so he thought.

The guys walked past him, the one who stopped him from flirting the girls made sure he bumped Seungri's shoulder, and went to the girls. Seungri chuckled, maybe because of the guy’s absurd action on bumping him, or maybe on his absurd action on making his way to these beautiful girls, but then he stayed, now having an interest on the show. He badly wanted to see this guy getting dumped like him.

 

“Jimin oppa! Jungkookie!” Joohee said. Tube Dress Yohee smirked at him.

“Here you come Jimin-ah!” She said and grabbed a bottle from the man – Jimin – and took a gulp. Jimin passed the other bottle to Taehee, while Jungkook gave the other to Joohee. Taehee had now raised her two bottles as she danced.

“MOREEE BEEEER~~~~” She screamed as she swayed, Yohee nudging Jimin in the arm when he looked at Taehee sadly.

 

Seungri felt his confidence slipping away. Now he feels just like any other artist, always felt there is someone more handsome, more talented and way, way better than him.

He took a step back. Maybe he's not that good to get Joohee. He's was nothing compared to that out-of-style Jungkook.

And the fact that his friends are watching him from above. Ugh, his image is now ruined!

He went out of the dance floor and sat on the counter. He just ordered brandy when a lady sat at the other end, looking at him with interest. Normally he would go to her and talk, but now he's not in the mood. He did not even care when the lady walked to him. It's just so not him. He can't resist it when a lady walks to him, especially after getting dumped.

Normally it's easy for him to move on from lady to lady. But now he's annoyed that this lady is making a move on him, but more to himself because he doesn't know why he is so annoyed.

 

“Hey handso—”

“I'm not interested.” He sighed, stopping the lady from sitting on the stool beside him. Her face crumpled, then she stormed out of his sight.

 

He decided to go home instead.

Destiny it may be or just a coincidence but the next day he saw the lady again.