Chapter 1

Before My Eyes

Six years ago.

 

“Sunhee, what happened to you?” My mother asked me. I didn’t look at her, and looked at the floor instead. I know what they’re thinking. They think I’m their biggest disgrace. “Sunhee, you cannot do it. You promised you’ll be an architect!”

“Eomma, I didn’t promise you that I’d be an architect, I didn’t like it in the first place! I told you I tried but it didn’t interest me like what it did to you and to appa. I’m sorry, I’m—”

“Stop this nonsense.” I and my mom looked at my dad. He was looking at me furiously though his voice was contained. It makes him scarier. “Lee Sunhee, you will not come back to New Zealand. I will send you to Jeju to reflect. When you want to be an architect again, then that’s the time you will go back.”

“But I never—”

“Go to your room.” When I didn’t move, he yelled, “I said go to your room!” I sighed and did what he told me.

 

I lied straight to my bed the moment I saw it. I was so angry at my parents. They knew from the start I didn’t want to be an architect. But they said I have to be, because our family’s upholding that reputation. Architects. It’s their dream for all of their children, bad thing I was the only one. Bad thing I didn’t want what they want. I wish I have siblings, so someone can inherit their firm and that their full attention won’t be onto me. It’s harder to breathe when I’m the only one here.

I began to think. I can’t stay at Jeju and just wait for them to end my life. I’m already old enough, and I can live by myself, if I wanted to. And I want to. I breathed hard, then tried to call Namjoon oppa.  It must be night in New Zealand but then he answered the call.

 

“Are you busy?” I asked.

“Not really.” He replied. “What is it, jagiya?”

“It came out bad,” I explained. He already knew what it meant so I don’t need to explain further. He sighed, but I continued. “They want me to go to Jeju.”

“Sunhee—”

“You know I won’t, that’s why I’m calling you. I need a place away from here.”

“You’re saying, you’ll come here—”

“No I won’t, I know New Zealand will be the first place in their mind if I escape. Then in Sydney, then in France. But they will never suspect Seoul.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Oppa, please find me a place to stay here in Seoul. Please. I don’t know when they’ll send me to Jeju so it’s better if I get away from here quickly.”

“Okay, I understand.”

“And oppa?”

“Yes?”

“Please don’t come here and finish whatever you have to do there. I’ll miss you but…”

“I know jagi, I’ll look for a house, so you can run away from there. I will try not to worry about you.” I nodded though he cannot see me. “I love you.”

“Me too.” I replied, and the call ended.

 

The next day I checked for some e-mails. Like I expected there’s one from Namjoon oppa, saying his friend’s parents owns a house, some sort of a sharehouse. He included the address and picture of the map. When I’m done I got dressed and went down. Since my parents left early and expected to come back at maybe 12am, I have the whole day to look for the house.

I can’t really use the car. Anyone in the house would ask where would I go, and I’m planning of going unnoticed so I just took the city bus and walked a bit. Then I saw it.

 

“Hello?” I pushed the door bell and called out. A man came outside with his apron on. He stared at me, but went near the gates and waited for me to talk more. “Ah… I heard you’re accepting tenants…”

“You need a room to sleep? Well you seem like you own a house.” He said. I looked at him hopefully, and his jaws opened for a second. “Well then, come inside.” He opened the gate and let me in. He then led the way to the house, while I looked to my left and my right. They had a garden and a swing and there’s a patio on the left side of the house (which was also covered with well-trimmed grass). I didn’t notice he stopped to open the door so I bumped into his back.

“Oh, sorry.” I said, bowing out of embarrassment.

“It’s fine. Go inside.” I went in. The house wasn’t so big, but it’s decent. An old-looking but clean (pink) rose-colored sofa set greeted me, with a low mahogany as coffee table. On the far end was dining table and kitchen, which were looking okay. I don’t know if there are any girl tenants here, because it’s so clean. “You want anything?” I shook my head, then he motioned me to sit. When he saw me sitting on their couch he went upstairs while yelling at someone named ‘Yoongi’. Then he went back, this time with a guy shorter than him, and visibly paler.

“Hello.” I bowed at him. He bowed back and we two sat.

“You need a room to stay in?”

“Yeah, I’m wondering how much?”

“Oh, not much. Seventy thousand won.” He said business-like. I nodded slowly, mentally computing how much I need to earn if I start looking for a job tomorrow. “The tenants here are complaining about that price. You won’t?”

“Should I?” I asked back. Aish, I have to start again from the top!

“Wow, you have that amount of money?”

“No, but

“Don’t be a nutter, kid.” He said. “Earning money for rent is so hard. Aside from it you’ll also contribute for food and other basic needs. Each of us here spends at least a hundred and fifty thousand per month.”

I stared at him. “Really?” I asked. He nodded. “Well, can I not pay the rent for the first two months?”

He laughed. “Why not?”

“I don’t think I won’t have that amount of money, considering I don’t have a job and only have five million on my account…” I trailed off. He looked at me unbelievingly. “I promise I’ll pay you once I get a job.”

“You just said you have five million. Why can’t you pay me with that one?”

“I need it to start a business.” I replied. “Even if I die from hunger I won’t take a single cent from it.” He looked at me, I don’t know if he stared at me out of disbelief or amusement. But he tried to compose himself again after.

“Well. What’s your name again?”