Chapter 12

Before My Eyes

“What is it?” I asked upon receiving Daesung oppa’s call.

 

 

Later today I received several missed calls from him but did not took time to send me a message. Knowing Daesung oppa’s character of hanging everything on a cliff – even my future – is kind of agitating.

 

 

“I have a surprise for you Sunhee-ah. I know you’ll like this.” He said, and I imagined him smiling from ear to ear. I breathed.

 

“And… what is that?” I asked. He now laughed. He must be really, really happy.

 

“Will I call it a surprise if I say it now? Aish.” Right. “Just wait there. I’ll be there in ten minutes.”

 

 

He ended the call, and as what he said, I waited. Taehyung asked who is it, if it’s Namjoon, but I just stared at him.

 

 

“Nuna!” He exclaimed. “Is he bothering you again?”

 

“Not really…”

 

“So it is that Namjoon.” He said, and I got it so I just rolled my eyes because of annoyance. “How could he know your number? He --”

 

“Taehyung-ah, it’s Daesung oppa. Stop saying nonsense.” I said annoyingly and went out to counting the inventories again.

 

 

Speaking of Namjoon (I decided to call him that a long while ago, well adding some honorifics into his name is not really appropriate after what he did to me), I was hoping a little that his face is not in a mess now. The day after I got drunk, the whole sharehouse erupted with voices from both the girls and the boys. They asked me how that thing happened, and although a week has been so bad for me I still told them. The boys went out at minutes after that, which is so seldom, and days after that, I overheard from one of the students of Seoul University that I came to serve that one of the best students in their course had decided to quit school. I know it was Namjoon, and I know it has something to do with the boys, although I didn’t confront them. I was so worried then, but right now it only comes across my mind for fewer times. I still have to move on, I know, because ten freaking months are so long, but I just can’t do it faster.

 

But right now Sonic and my friends are much important than any other relationships, and I don’t mind if I’d be single forever.

 

After nearly fifteen minutes a man came in. I went out of my office without even seeing his face, because I know it’s Daesung oppa.

 

 

“You said in ten minutes!” I nagged when I got near him. He’s talking to Taehyung, maybe asking where I am.

 

“Sorry.” He just smiled. I pouted, but my mouth went back to normal when I saw Taehyung staring at us. I’m still looking at Taehyung when he suddenly grabbed my wrist. “Let’s go out.”

 

“Where?”

 

“Just outside your café,” He said and walked, and since he’s still holding my wrist, I’ve got nothing to do but follow him without even defending myself to Taehyung. Well, the way Daesung oppa is holding me, Taehyung might’ve think I and Daesung oppa are already in a relationship, which can’t happen, so I was thinking to defend our friendship from Taehyung’s malicious thoughts.

 

 

I felt the coldness of autumn air once we got out of the café. I can see the sky is clear too, with all the stars in it sparkling like diamonds. It must supposed to be a very romantic evening (I even imagine Namjoon holding my hand while walking in a park nearby but nudged it away after), if I wasn’t being dragged by a super excited man.

 

 

“Yah Daesung oppa, I can walk on my own! Let go!”

 

“Oh. Sorry.” He let go of my wrist. I glared at him when he tried to smile, but it didn’t budge him. Usually it does. Now I’m thinking what makes him so giddy.

 

 

We continued to walk until I saw the reason for his sudden attitude. He looked at him, and then to me. I didn’t know if I blush, but nevertheless I tried to conceal my whole face by bowing.

 

 

“H-hello, I’m Lee Sunhee.” I stuttered.  I don’t know what his reaction now is, but I heard him talking, his voice is so deep I nearly ran away while cursing Daesung oppa (He brought him here in the first place, that’s why he deserves a curse).

 

“Yes, hello.” I really don’t know how I feel normal towards Daesung oppa and other idols coming to my café, but I felt definitely awkward and kind of scared upon seeing TOP, or Choi Seunhyun-ssi to his close friends. Maybe because I never saw one of Daesung oppa’s best buddies and that maybe I can feel he feels the awkwardness too.

 

“Uh…” I looked at Daesung oppa. “What about…”

 

“Oh Lee Sunhee, I know you like hyung but he’s not the surprise I’m talking about.” He suddenly whispered in my ear. I felt my face became hotter, and Daesung oppa just laughed at me (I’m not even on the edge of thinking I like Seunghyun-ssi!). I hope my face isn’t as red as I’m thinking. “There, that’s my surprise for you!” He exclaimed after. I looked at the thing he’s pointing at.

 

 

I saw a small gray husky sniffing the ground near where Seunghyun-ssi is standing. Thinking aside at how scary Seunghyun-ssi is, I ran to the dog, thankful that I escaped from the awkward situation. The dog really saved me.

 

 

“Oh my gosh! Look how cute he is!” I carried him and pretended not to see Seunghyun-ssi released the dog’s leash and squinted a bit as I showed the dog to Daesung oppa. Oppa scowled at me.

 

“It’s a she, Sunhee.” He scowled more when I mouthed him an “Ahh~” and continued. “Don’t you know how to look at the gender of dogs? How can you consider yourself a dog lover?”

 

“Aish really…” I murmured. He stared at me and about to hit me when Seunghyun-ssi started booming his voice again.

 

“Daesung… I’m going. Tell me if you’ll go with me or not.” He started walking, and Daesung oppa sighed loudly before shouting.

 

“Hyung, wait!” Seunghyun-ssi stopped but didn’t look back, silently telling us that he’ll wait there. So Daseung oppa continued, “Yah, Sunhee. She’s my birthday gift okay? Don’t call asking me where your gift is on your birthday.”

 

“What are you talking about?” I mean, I do exactly not expecting a gift from anyone maybe except from the people at the sharehouse.

 

 

And besides my birthday is months from now!

 

“I’ll be going to Japan next week. So you can’t celebrate your café’s anniversary with me.” I scoffed. Not that I’m thinking of celebrating that one with him alone (although I think he can join the group).         

 

“It’s fine, oppa.” I sighed. “And besides --”

 

“Take care of her okay? Bye!” He hugged me and half-ran, half-walked to Seunghyun-ssi. I watched as they ride the motorbike and zoomed away.

 

“Nuna.”I looked behind me and saw Taehyung standing. He went nearer. “You think Daesung-ssi likes you?”

 

“No.” I said seriously. “Oppa’s just my friend.”

 

“Good, I mean you know Yohee…”

 

“Yeah, I know Yohee likes him.” I completed his sentence. He seemed relieved upon hearing it.

 

“We have something more to do. Let’s go inside.” He said. I nodded and we went in with my new dog.