Prologue

Before My Eyes

“Daesung, why the hell would you want to find me a girlfriend?” I asked Daesung unbelievingly, and he smiled as if I already said yes. I glared at him. “I still don’t want to have one. We’ve got a lot of work to do.”

 

“Hyung, it’s just for fun!” He exclaimed but paused, thinking. “Well, I mean you have to take her really seriously, though having a relationship with an opposite is just fun!” He continued, emphasizing the words really seriously and fun. I continued glaring at him.

 

“Still no.”

 

“Seunghyun hyung, what to do with you!” Now he exclaimed out of sudden exasperation, but I didn’t change my expression to him. “You’re too old and—” He stopped suddenly when he saw me glaring at him. He sighed, then looked at me dismissively. “Okay. Just try.”

 

“Try…” I trailed off and thought carefully of the word. Well, there’s no harm in trying, right? But why do I feel that there will be no backing up once I tried?

 

“Yes hyung, just try.” He repeated, more eager this time. And then suddenly he adjusted his face nearer me. I almost jerked. “Pretty please~” He said in an almost aegyo-ish voice. I scowled at him. “Hyung~~”

 

“Fine!” I said just to end it all. “Just try, okay?” He nodded and smiled his biggest smile after that.

 

 

It’s just that… It is such a big deal to him, so I wonder what he will do. I mean, I know him already and trust him so much but I smell something… something I really don’t want.

 

Though I know it’s coming, I didn’t stop it. I made a promise that I’ll try, and I have to fulfill it. A few weeks after that, Daesung called me after my photoshoot. He told me I need to be at a pet shop in an hour. Since the photoshoot’s already done I went there already.

 

 

“Hyung, I bought a dog.” He said to me upon arriving at the shop. I looked at him, to the dog and back at him.

 

“So what?”

 

“Help me bring it to the Sonic.”

 

“What?” He sighed out of exasperation. Sorry, but I didn’t get what he’s saying.

 

“Sunhee’s café.”

 

“Who’s Sunhee?”

 

“You don’t know her?” He finally asked, agitated. I just looked at him and shook my head. “She’s the best coffee maker in Korea! Aish, you should extend your connections.” Well, how could a coffee maker help me with my job? Aish this man. “You should see her.” I stared at him. Upon hearing those words from him, I knew this is it. I knew that she’s the girl Daesung wants me to meet. I chuckled inwardly, ignoring my heartbeat that went fast in a second. He must’ve planned it all. “Let’s go?” He asked, but I continued staring at him. He gave me an encouraging look, and his words from weeks ago started to haunt me.

 

 

Just try…

 

 

“Okay.” I sighed and he carried the dog. We rode on my motorbike, and went off.

 

 

I stopped the bike near the café Daesung was talking about. I looked at the big sign just at the top of the glass double doors, and a blackboard resting just beside the entrance drawn with different colors of chalk. I can smell the coffee from the inside, and I’m quite surprised that I knew some of the people inside. So this is not just anyone’s coffee shop, I see.

 

Daesung went in after telling me to stay. Since I have nothing to do inside and it’ll just feel awkward, holding the dog and all, I agreed. I looked in the sky. It was the first time in years since I saw the sky like this, having so many stars like knowing what I’m about to try. I breathed, absorbing the warm air. It was supposed to be a romantic night, but I don’t know what I should feel. I felt I needed to run now, run from Daesung and just lie tomorrow, but I also felt like staying and wanting to know who that girl is. Sunhee.

 

 

“Yah Daesung oppa, I can walk on my own! Let go!” I heard someone say and I looked at the direction. I saw Daesung holding the girl – maybe Sunhee – on the wrist. I just stared at them. Daesung stopped and let her go and they went to where I am.

 

 

“Hello, I’m Lee Sunhee.” She bowed the moment she saw me. She said it casually, though I can almost feel what she feels – what other ladies do when they’re always in front of me – intimidated.

 

“Yes, hello.” I replied and bowed back. I didn’t need to introduce myself since I know she knows me already.

 

 

She isn’t the typical Asian I always see everywhere. She had pale skin yes, but her eyes are much bigger and blacker. Her jaw is square-like, unlike other girls having circular or heart-shaped ones. Her lips are not small, but also not too big. Her hair is flowing in the spring air, all brown and straight (though I doubt if that’s even natural brown or straight). She wears a white shirt under an indigo cardigan and black jeans with the café’s logo on her apron (which is tied just on her waist)... very simple. And very familiar.

 

 

“Uh…” I heard her mutter. “What about…”

 

 

I saw Daesung whisper something to her that caused her to blush. I was equally curious and disappointed, curious of what Daesung said that her reaction became so alive, and disappointed by their closeness. I thought I should be the one to try? “There, that’s my surprise for you!” He exclaimed after. She looked at the dog I’m holding.

 

After a second she ran towards me. I thought she’ll hug me that I jerked but then it seemed that she’s only noticing the dog. I let go of its leash and she carried it into her arms.

 

 

“Oh my gosh! Look how cute he is!”

 

“It’s a she, Sunhee.” She nodded slowly while mouthing an “Ah”. “Don’t you know how to look at the gender of dogs? How can you consider yourself a dog lover?”

 

“Aish really…” She murmured. If I wasn’t suspicious by their closeness then it wouldn’t be hard for me to smile.

 

“Daesung… I’m going. Tell me if you’ll go with me or not.” I looked at him, waiting for his answer. When he did not nod I started to walk back toward my bike.

 

“Hyung, wait!” Daesung screamed so I stopped right away and looked at him. He exchanged a few words with her and suddenly he decided to run to me. “What was that? You didn’t even say a word.”

 

“It’s because you’re so close to her.” I can’t hide my disappointment. How can he expect me to try when he’s already—

 

“Hyung, she’s my girl best friend.” He chuckled. “We know we’re not for each other.” I stared at him, weighing if I should believe him or not.

 

“When did you meet her? How much do you know about her?” I asked, but he showed his malicious toothy grin.

 

“Oh, suddenly curious?”

 

“Aish, no. Wear your helmet.” I said, throwing a helmet at him, then I rode the bike.

 

“Just like that?” He said when he got a grip of the helmet. “You didn’t recognize her?”

 

“What?”

 

“This is the second time you asked me who she is.” He said as he creased his brows.

 

“What?!” I looked back at the spot where we she stood, and she's still there holding her new pet. She's looking curiously at us, maybe trying to look for the words that slipped our lips so she can understand. I accidentally looked into her eyes, and she held it for seconds. I remembered that stare, in the car, where our eyes were covered with the tinted window of Daesung's car. I remembered it clearly like it only happened yesterday, along with the feelings I did not intend to feel. I tried to ignore it. “Ride on, silly.”