Chapter IX

Millennium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Short chapter to prepare you psychologically to what's coming on... Enjoy ! Will beta-read later, sorry if there is any mistakes.

 

Vacations, forced or not, definitely had perks. First, he could stay in bed as long as he wanted, and second, he didn’t have to lift a finger all day long if he wished so. And who could provide such an effortless environment but his own mother ? She had been delighted to hear he had took a week off –he spared her the circumstances– and wished to spend it with his family. His father was pleased as well, despite not letting it show. Woohyun, contrary to his older brother, had always been able to do what he wanted, since he wasn’t the appointed heir of the family business.

His brother was good at it, and he loved managing their companies alongside their father until he took the reins himself. For a while, they had a bad relationship because he felt threatened by Woohyun. He thought that if his younger brother took interest in the business, his father will reconsider his choice to hand over the company to him. When Woohyun expressed his wish to go to a cooking school in Paris, he supported him and their relationship got a lot better since.

So coming home and live for a short while to his parents, his brother and his sister-in-law seemed great. He wouldn’t have to cook, to do his laundry, or iron his clothes since familial household had a battalion of employees. He could use all his time for himself, and being around them will stop him from reflecting on what he did with Howon. The thought had obsessed him since that morning, when he left him. He would lie if he said he didn’t enjoy it. All of it. He would lie if he said it was only a mistake. It wasn’t just a mistake. He had wanted it, craved to feel this way again. And like a junkie after rehab, after doing so well for the past five years, he relapsed.

He growled at the thought, rolling out of his bed to go to his bathroom. He loved the fact that everything stayed the same in his old room, no matter how long it has been since he left the familial mansion, pushed by an urge of independence. After a long shower, he got dressed, wondering what he would do today. After that, he went down the stairs to be greeted by the sight of his family having breakfast.

“Hello everyone !” he greeted. “Mother.” He said, kissing her cheek before sitting on the seat beside her. “Father.” He bowed his head toward the man. “And of course, my brother and sister-in-law.” He said with a cheeky smile, raising toward them a flute of orange juice he just grabbed, mimicking a toast before taking a sip. “This looks really delicious.” He smiled, putting down his glass to serve himself some food, encouraged by his mother who rubbed his back affectionately.

“Eat well my son.” She smiled tenderly at him.

“So, what do you intend to do today ?” the patriarch asked.

Woohyun looked up at him, knowing well that question was directed to him.

“I have no idea.” He said. “I’m so used to work hard that I’m not sure of what to do now that I don’t.”

“You’ll stay with me, of course.” His mother cooed at him. “We’ll go shopping, eat outside, anything you’d like.”

“Don’t treat him like a child.” He heard his father hiss.

“Well, he is my child.” His mother said back. “It’s been so long since we spend time together. I want to make the most of it. You must work so hard, my poor baby.”

“It’s true, but it’s not so bad. I love what I do.” Woohyun reassured her with a smile.

“I can’t help but feel bothered by it.” His father spoke. “You are my son. If you really want to work, you should be with your brother and I, instead of belittling yourself and work for Millennium.”

“Father, we already went through this.” Woohyun said calmly. “I’m not interested in business. I wouldn’t know what to do ! I’m a chef, in case you've forgotten.”

“Then why don’t you take my proposal and open your own restaurant ? We could make a chain of it, it would be profitable for our business.”

“I like working at Millennium Palace. I have a formidable team, all equipment and materials I request and a boss who happens to be my best friend. I’m quite content with what I have.” Woohyun said.

“Woohyun-ah, you should use that talent of yours for the benefit of your family, not others’. You could be your own boss, and I’m sure most of the kitchen staff will follow you if you open your own restaurant.”

“I can’t do that to Sunggyu hyung ! He’s my best friend !” Woohyun retorted.

“We have no friends in business son.” His father said sharply.

Upset, Woohyun dropped his cutlery and left the table. He passed to the entry hall, thanked the maid who handed him his coat and left the house.

 

“Uncle Gyu !” the toddler run off the kindergarten to throw himself into his uncle’s arms.

“Jihyun-ah !” Sunggyu lifted him up with a grin. “You’re getting heavier ! That means you’re getting strong.”

“Yes, I am !” the little one said, showing off his arm muscles, making Sunggyu laugh.

“Aigo, you’re so strong !” he praised, poking his tiny biceps.

“Uncle Gyu, how come you are the one picking me up at school ?” the toddler asked.

“Hum, let me think…” he said with a pensive pout. “Maybe because I wanted to grab waffles with my best buddy ?”

“Waffles !” the four years old exclaimed, ecstatic. “Un

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter