Chapter II

Millennium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As promised, the second chapter is here ! I would like to thank you for giving this fic such a warm welcome ! Keep telling me what you think, I love to have your feedback !

 

It was three in the morning, but, as strange as it sounded, they just finished their work for the day.

“Good work guys.” Their manager said, giving them each a bottle of mineral waiter, guiding them to the changing room.

They still have to get changed, get their makeup removed, get in the van to be taken home, get a shower and they, eventually, sleep.

Dongwoo collapsed in the first chair he could reach, beyond exhausted. Their recent schedule was crazy due to their comeback. Today had been particularly hectic. They had been guests for a morning radio show from seven till nine. After that they had a fan meeting which lasted for two hours, they signed CDs, took pictures and made a special stage performance. After, they went to record a TV variety show in the afternoon so they hastily ate kimbap as lunch on their way to the recording studio. After three hours of filming, which would be edited to have a forty-minute format, they had to record the MV of the title track of their album. They worked for five hours, dressing in several outfits, stylists, hair dressers and make up noonas buzzing like bees around them. Now it was three in the morning, they wrapped up the day. They would sleep four hours at most, waking up at eight to be on time for MCountDown rehearsals.

He sighed, eyes closed and head up as someone removed the makeup off his face. He knew his bandmate was around, probably in the same zombie state but he was too lazy to crack an eye open to check.

“Dongwoo-yah, you have to remove your clothes.” The cordi noona told him once she finished to remove the makeup. “Don’t forget to put cream on your face before sleeping, your eyes are getting swollen.” She advised him.

He nodded, too tired to speak, and lowered himself to take off the shoes he wore. He turned his head to see Hoya slumped on his chair when one of the noonas removed his shoes for him. He had complained earlier that his hips started to hurt, so he was told to preserve his strength to perform. Dongwoo hoped it was just due to fatigue and that his friend was not injured.

After removing the MV outfit and put on his own clothes, Dongwoo waited for Hoya to get in the van together. They headed to the same place anyway. Even if now, they both gained enough money through personal activities, Hoya having an acting career aside and himself performing on musicals as well as variety shows, they decided to keep on living together.

Dongwoo couldn’t handle solitude, and since he couldn’t live with his lover due to his celebrity and idol status, he asked Hoya to be his roommate. The younger lad only agreed at the condition of having his own room. They had been living together for five years now, and it worked pretty well. Living with your best friend with whom you work was extremely convenient so none of them thought of changing the situation.

“Let’s go hyung.” He heard Howon as he put his hand on his shoulder, interrupting his thoughts.

Dongwoo gave him a smile before standing up and follow him. The manager waited for them in the parking lot. They climbed in the van. The ride was quiet. Sometimes you’re just too tired to talk, and thankfully, working with your best friend made you both aware of that. They didn’t needed to speak to understand one another. Their manager drove them to their place and accompanied them to their apartment. After telling the guys he would come at eight to fetch them, he left.

“Good night hyung.” Howon whispered, tapping his shoulder before walking to his room.

“You too.” Dongwoo said before going to his own room, thankful they both had their own bathroom and he didn’t needed to wait for the shower. After washing up, he dropped in his bed, falling asleep instantly.

 

“Good morning.” Myungsoo told his boyfriend.

It was nine in the morning and Sungyeol just made it home. He was on night shifts these days and basically came home when Myungsoo was heading to work.

“Hey you.” He gave his lover a tired smile, pecking his lips. “I’ll take a shower and head to bed.” He told him.

“Won’t you eat first ?” Myungsoo pouted, worried to see his lover looks so exhausted. “Let’s have breakfast together.”

“I already ate at Millennium. Woohyun made me something before I left.” Sungyeol answered him. “Have a nice day.” He ruffled his head before heading to the bedroom.

Myungsoo looked at him as he left, dejected. He couldn’t understand why Sungyeol persisted to do his job. Myungsoo tried to talk to him, to make him stop working since he could afford to pay for everything but Sungyeol refused. He said it wasn’t a question of money. He liked to be independent financially, he liked his job, he liked his workplace and he won’t quit just because Myungsoo wanted him 24/7. The younger had to admit he was hurt. He knew he was clingy and a bit too much demanding but he really loved Sungyeol and he wanted to be with him all the time. It his job got in the way, and he more to see that the older man not seemed affected by it.

 

Sungyeol had calculated everything. He gained 2000$ per month. To make 500,000$ he would have to work 250 months without spending a single cent of his money, which, converted to years, was a total of twenty-one years. He was currently twenty four so if he started to save all his salaries from now on, he will be able to repay Sunggyu when he would be forty-five. That couldn’t work. So, in the hope of making things go quicker, he asked for the night shifts. Sungyeol knew it was the hardest shift and that’s why it was paid better, around 2500$ per month. So if he kept it that way all lived on his tip-money to save his salaries, he would be able to pay his friend back in two hundred months so seventeen years, when he will be thirty-seven years. It was like a long-term loan if you thought about it.

Sungyeol did not talked about it with Myungsoo. The younger had asked him where the money came from when he literally put it on the table, but he said he sold the bounds and stocks he had from an heritage. He knew Myungsoo, even if they weren’t dating for long. He knew the man was proud and will literally go to Millennium to give Sunggyu his money back, not tolerating that someone else could provide something to his lover. Myungsoo was younger, childish and jealous but it made him cute and endearing somehow, so Sungyeol easily forgave him.

 

Woohyun was exhausted but extremely happy with himself. He spend a month nagging Sunggyu to let him experiment new recipes but the boss always denied him, saying Woohyun’s creativity costed too much money. But after their fight, he came to the restaurant to apologize and give him the green light to try recipes, at the condition he did not exceeded a budget of five thousand dollars. It has been hard because Woohyun only worked with top-quality products, some coming directly from France. But he managed to do it. He first planned what he will do, then submitted the list of the ingredients he needed to their supplier and once he got it all, he stayed after the restaurant closed to prepare. So, after a sleepless night he spent cooking, he was indeed exhausted but happy. He had made two starters, four main dishes and two desserts.

Citrus fruits salad and seared prawns with Espelette pepper, tangy vinaigrette Fondant and crispy leeks, beetroot quenelles and balsamic reduction Seabream fillets, seared shiitake and zucchini, sauce badian ginger Cutlet of foie gras in crispy breadcrumbs, gingerbread and chutney Mashed potatoes with herbs de Provence, veal cutlet with its foie gras sauce Sautéed seasonal vegetables, Bavette steak, Texan sauce Chocolate and matcha fondant Grapes and pears crumble

Sunggyu was supposed to come to review the dishes and then they will discuss if and how integrate them into the restaurant’s menu. Woohyun has always admired how implicated his friend was in every area of Millennium. He wasn’t only a director. He had ideas and coordinated every single thing. A few days ago he made adjustments on the bar’s lightening to make the place more agreeable and welcoming, he also installed soundproofed walls in the underground nightclub to not allow noise within the hotel. But Sunggyu was good at his job only because he cared. He cared a lot about Millennium, because he was one of the people who always put family first, and Millennium was his family. Woohyun wondered how things will be when Sunggyu will take over the conglomerate and leave the hotel to some CEO. They will all be sad.

“Chef, the boss is here to review the menu.” His youngest commis told him.

“Alright. Bring the dishes in the order I gave you.” He said, stopping scribbling new recipes ideas in his notebook and moved to the restaurant private area, the one they used for VIP guests requesting privacy. Sunggyu was looking at his phone when he came in but put it back to his jacket when he saw him.

“Let’s proceed to the degustation.” The Chef said, his commis behind him bringing with him the first course.

 

“Hi everyone !” Sungjong greeted his colleagues as he entered the changing room.

“Hey Sungjong, can you exchange one night shift with me ?” Kevin, one of his fellow waiter asked.

“Sorry I can’t. I have to work on my design project.”

“Oh you got back to university ? I thought you graduated.”

“Yes, but I’m pursuing a specialization in design.”

“Sounds cool.”

“Hi guys !” a voice shouted as the door opened again, revealing another waiter.

“Hi Taemin !” Sungjong and Kevin greeted back.

“The boss is in the VIP room.” The boy told them. “I heard the Chef wants to put new dishes in the menu. The commis told me they’ve been at it for an hour already.”

“I wouldn’t be surprised to know those two are a thing.” Kevin said with a smirk.

“They are just best friends.” Sungjong said. “They have known each other since childhood.”

“Well, a lot of best friends become lovers past puberty.” Taemin said.

“It’s not like that for them. You shouldn’t gossip about your superiors like that.” Sungjong stated.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter