Chapter XXIII

Millennium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Oh my ! I can't believe it's been so long ! To be honest, I have personnal issues going on and I'm inspired for tons of INFINITE new fanfictions, I started writing a few... Maybe after Millennium is over I'll do a poll and see what you guys want to read next, but it won't be anytime soon. So thank you for sticking around and enjoy the new chapter !

FYI I'm so happy INFINITE is back ! The title song is GREAT, and don't make me start on the choreo... I was worried Dongwoo will not make the comeback with the guys after what happened, so I almost cried when I saw him on MCountDown. I hope he stays strong and for the guys to be there for him.

 

A knock at the door. Another thing he doesn’t bother to answer to. Soon enough though, Soojung appears at the door, looking cautious.

“Depyonim, you have an appointment with the tailor at four forty. Your mother just called the office, saying you were not answering your phone.”

Sunggyu raised his head to look at her with glassy eyes. He had an accounting file in his hand while the over was clutching over a glass previously filled, the bottle of bourbon on his desk giving it away.

“Are you drinking ?” his secretary exclaimed in disbelief as she walked in. “It’s noon time !”

Sunggyu scoffed at the scolding, but he didn’t dare to look at her. He didn’t wanted to see the disappointment in her eyes. Disappointing himself for enough.

“I won’t go.” He said dismissively.

“Depyonim, you must go ! You are getting engaged, and soon you’ll be married, ready to start a family. You have to take those matters seriously.”

Sunggyu thought about it for a second. A long time ago, he thought those matters were of the heart, but he was delusional. Nothing in this world was carried by goodness and love, only money and power had a place in this ruthless world.

“Your mother said that if you didn’t report to her and promise you’ll go, she will come here personally and get you there.” Soojung said.

“For God’s sake, I will have none of it. I can’t stand her presence right now.” He grunted. “Call her back, say I will go.”

Soojung seemed surprised but didn’t ask further and after a bow, left him at his occupation. After she had taken her leave, he threw the file he grabbed when she entered on the desk and reached for the bottle of bourbon, pouring himself another glass. After taking a sip, he turned the liquid in the glass to see the colors reflecting on it. He let out a sigh as he but his head on the warm wood of the desk, his hand still around the glass. The hazel color of the alcohol had golden highlights in the sunbeams, the crystal glass was shining. The sun warmth on his back, Sunggyu closed his eyes, a more radiant sight welcoming him in his dreams.

 

Beep. Beep. Beep.

The sound of articles being scanned seemed to resonate in the silent grocery store. Sungyeol was the only client, and he couldn’t help but have a strange feeling.

“It will be 11,7500 won.” The old lady managing the store told him, putting his items in a bag.

He gave her a bill before grabbing his bag. She handed him the change.

“Halmoni, can I ask you something ?” Sungyeol asked.

“Of course.” She said affably.

“Why is the story empty ?” he asked. “Not only the store, but the streets… Everything’s so quiet.”

The old lady’s smile faded, replaced by sadness.

“You’re not from here, aren’t you ?” she said. “Then you shouldn’t wonder around. It’s not safe.”

Sungyeol frowned but insisted.

“I just moved around the block. That’s why I’m asking. Is there something I should know ?”

The granny gave him a head-to-toe look before deeming him trustworthy and leaned over the counter, waving at him to come closer.

“This neighborhood always had criminality, but until three years ago, we were safe. It was under the wing of some important mafia gang and no one dared to mess around. We just paid a tax and we were protected. But now, it’s filled with tugs. They rob stores, they beat up and people… No one dares to wander on the streets too long or put a foot outside at night, scared to be their next victim.” She shook her head in disapproval. “I never approved criminals, but at least they had a certain deontology back in the days.”

Sungyeol almost scoffed, because he was sure no criminal could have a code. He bowed and thanked the old lady, about to leave the store, when the door slammed open violently and a group of guys came in. They were three of them. The first one was blonde, his hair tied in a little bun. He had a lollipop in his mouth, a white tee with holes, a bleached jean jacket and a darker pair of jeans. He was wearing branded boots and walked in the place as if he owned it. The second had a messy raven hair and was dressed all in black : black tank top torn on the front, a black and red shirt tied around his waist to maintain black baggy jeans, and black gothic boots. The third one had ink blue died hair, an army jacket above a simple t-shirt and ripped jeans, army boots stomping on the white floor.

“Halmeoni, how are you ?” the blonde asked after popping his lollipop out of his mouth, leaning on the counter.

“Wh… what do you want ?” she stammered.

“What do you mean what I want ?” the blonde said. “We came to collect our due.”

“You came just last week, I can’t… I don’t have the money…”

“Is that so ?” the blonde smirked before giving a side-glance to his companions.

The raven-haired went to a shelf and started to throw everything on the floor, while the other went to the fridge, took out a large bottle of coke and spilled its content on the floor, and he bottle with it one it was empty.

“Stop it !” the granny shouted, horrified.

As the blonde man was about to grab her, Sungyeol snapped of his frozen state and pushed him away as hard as he could.

“Leave her alone !” he shouted.

The blonde stumbled backwards, slipped on the coke on the floor and fell on his , soaking his jeans. The scene could’ve been comic if he didn’t look at Sungyeol, full of hatred.

“You…” he raged as he got up. “You ing bastard…”

He almost trembled out of rage, and reached in his jacket to pull out a gun, still walking toward him. Sungyeol immediately guessed he wasn’t trained for this, keeping a gun just to scare, not to use. Someone experimented would never have to get close to its target to fire.

“I’m going to kill you…” the blonde said with crazed eyes.

Sungyeol focused on the way he held his weapon. The hold was weak and slippery, as expected from a novice in weaponry. If the strike was strong and quick enough, he could disarm him easily.  The man came up close, putting the barrel on his chest. Su

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter