Chapter XXX

Millennium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I'm back ! For those who don't know, I started a new job so that's why I'm busier and have less time to write and update. Even so, I hope this chapter will rejoice you guys. It's a good one, and by good I mean happy. It won't be the case for the next one or the one after it. If you read this attentively, you'll guess easily what next chapter would be. On this, I let you read !

 

Sunggyu had fallen asleep, his head resting on his arm and his other hand holding Dongwoo’s left hand. His hair fell over his eyes, his mouth was half open, and the sight would’ve made anyone smile in tenderness. He awoke at the feel a something clutching his hand tightly. He opened his eyes, face wrinkled by sleep, trying to figure out what wake him. Then, he saw it. Dongwoo’s hand holding his tightly as if it was his only connexion to life. He stood up so fast he almost knocked out his chair. Keeping a tight hold on Dongwoo’s hand, he leaned toward his face, probing the unbruised parts of his face with gentle touches.

“Dongwoo ?” he inquired softly. “Can you hear me love ?”

 

Dongwoo’s eyelids fluttered open, slowly, like the wings of a butterfly coming out of its cocoon. At first everything seemed blur, but after blinking a few times, he started to see the shape of his surroundings. He growled as his body ached everywhere. His own heartbeat accelerated as he recognized Sunggyu’s face leaning toward his own. Dongwoo was astonished, but after the first seconds of surprise, a smile graced his face. He would’ve given anything to ran a hand in his hair, to put away the strands of hair off his forehead in a gentle gesture, close to a caress.

“You didn’t take my number.” Dongwoo whispered as his voice could barely carry the words, his gaze rapt with wonder as he squeezed Sunggyu’s hand as if to make sure he was truly here.

The neurosurgeon did warn them that considering Dongwoo’s trauma and the swelling of his brain, it was possible that he’ll take a while to recover, if he didn’t carry out consequences. Sunggyu pressed his hand gently, but his heart was tearing apart.

“What do you mean baby ?” he asked in a small voice, fearing the answer.

“When we first met… You asked to see me again, but… you didn’t take my number…” Dongwoo said with difficulty even though there was the shadow of a smile on his lips.

Sunggyu couldn’t help but crack a laugh, relief washing over him. It was so incongruous, to speak about something that happened years ago at this particular moment. Then again, it was so typically Dongwoo.

 “I know.” he said, unable to supress a wide smile because Dongwoo was conscious and talking to him as he leaned forward to Dongwoo’s locks that were not covered by the bandage on his head. “You already had the power to make my mind go blank, not knowing what to do.”

“But you came back anyway. You came back to me.” Dongwoo remembered with a smile.

“I never left. From that day, my heart belonged to you.” Sunggyu said, catching his hand to kiss it and hold it against his cheek. “God I missed you !” his voice cracked and a few treacherous tears fell as the realisation of Dongwoo almost dying hit him. “I was so scared !”

Dongwoo didn’t speak, it was difficult still. But it didn’t matter, because he looked at him with all the love in the world, holding on his hand, and Sunggyu was happy just like that. After a few minutes of mutual contemplation, Dongwoo asked for water and he almost tripped on his own feet by how fast he got it.

“Better ?” Sunggyu asked softly after Dongwoo drank from a straw, removing it from his lover’s lips.

“Yeah.” Dongwoo sighed in relief, his dry throat now appeased. “Thanks.”

Sunggyu put the bottle away before returning to Dongwoo’s side, sitting on the edge of the bed to be closer to him and taking both of his hands in his.

“You scared the hell out of me you know ?” Sunggyu said, but without an ounce of reproach. “You shouldn’t drive so carelessly.”

“If it makes you come back to me, I don’t mind being struck by a truck.” Dongwoo tried to laugh but winced as it stirred a pain all over his body.

“Don’t you ever !” Sunggyu straightened, now really serious. “It could’ve been really bad ! You could’ve gotten yourself killed !”

“Life would be meaningless for me without you.” Dongwoo whispered weakly, his eyelids feeling so heavy he had to struggle to keep them open.

“But you have me ! You will always have me, so don’t ever do something like this again ! I can’t live without you !” Sunggyu exclaimed, wishing he could hold the wounded man carefully in his arms to hug him close, but settled with squeezing his hands.

They stayed silent for a while, enjoying each other’s warmth and presence.

“I missed this.” Dongwoo said faintly, tracing patterns on Sunggyu’s palm. “I missed you.”

“I missed you too.” Sunggyu said, squeezing his hand. “The past few months were a nightmare. I wanted to run after you so badly the day you left… I didn’t know things would get that complicated…”

“So that woman ?” Dongwoo asked feebly with a confused look. “Your fiancée ?”

Sunggyu winced. Of course they had to talk about that.

“She means nothing to me. Even our engagement is a forgery. I already am engaged to someone else.” Sunggyu said.

“Good you haven’t forgotten.” He smiled dimly, feeling hurt and sore as sensations came back slowly to his body.

Then Sunggyu told him everything. His father’s blackmail, the risk of losing Millennium’s hotel branch, the necessity he had to pretend… He explained the situation he was in clearly and his actions without trying to justify himself or ease off his faults. When he finished, he was about to apologize to his lover for everything he went through because of him. He was surprised to feel Dongwoo squeeze his hands instead, looking apologetic.

“I’m sorry you had to go through all this on your own.” The younger whispered. “I won’t cause you any trouble anymore. I won’t make scandals, I will remain in the shadows quietly, and I will faithfully wait for you. I’m sorry I let others make me d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter