To The Rescue

Magnetic ( It's You, Boy)

Bambam still remembered it very clearly the very first time he saw the other two years before. The first semester had been going on for about two months and the spring breeze had almost gone. At that time, only understanding a bit of Korean language, he opted to keep silent although he couldn't help himself but kept glancing at the taller's direction. With such big eyes and high bridged nose, the other didn't look like a native at all. The Thai transferee could only hoped he's not the only foreigner between them two. None let out any sound until the homeroom teacher told them to come in and introduced themselves to the class. 

            Much to his disappointment, Kim Yugyeom introduced himself fluently in Korean. He's same age as him, had just got back from America and liked both music and dancing. 

             " What do your parents do?" One of the students asked after Yugyeom's finished.

             Looking a bit taken aback, the boy stuttered. " Uh, re-real-estate." 

             The teacher showed him two vacant desks in the middle of the class and he's free to choose where he wanted to sit.

           " My name is Kunpimook Bhuwakul, fifteen years old this year. From Thailand." Bambam introduced himself in English. " My parents... work in government." He added. His eyes wandered around, waiting for anyone to raise their hands, but no one did that. He nodded slightly to himself. The teacher pointed the seat next to Kim Yugyeom and started the lesson.  

            Being two new transferees seated next to each other and stuck at the spot for the rest of the semester, it's inevitable for two to be friends. Both started communicatin in English, before eventually Yugyeom decided to teach the shorter Korean.

           Feeling out of place in the new environment, they decided to keep each other company, started with sharing a table at the cafetaria and some stories. Throughout the time, Bambam found out that Yugyeom hadn't always been standing at the top of hierarchy, there's a time where he used to experience how it felt to sleep without heater, how it felt to be hungry and had no money to buy decent food. His father had long left both him and his mother for unknown reason. The native said he couldn't care less about him, his new step-father was more than a perfect husband figure he always yearned for his mother. 

            Bambam was a nickname he gave to him because " it's such a mouthful name. Let's just call you Bambam." He said, grinning. 

           The other students had never seen one without the other since then, when there's Bambam, there's always Kim Yugyeom next to him. The former couldn't really imagine studying at such place without his best friend, they had promised to graduate together no matter what. 

             He wouldn't let anything, let alone a piece of paper to change that. 

 

***

 

             By the time second period ended, everyone had known about the new target for their cat-and-mouse game. Youngjae decided he wouldn't be able to focus in class until he met the other two, hence another skipping class session. He still could feel his class president's stare lingering on his back.

             They met at the maze entrance and quickly made their way inside. Once they reached the quarter, all of them took a seat. 

            " First, please listen to me. Please don't interrupt," Youngjae's the first one to break the uncomfortable silence, he stood up from his seat then bowed ninety degrees towards the sophomores. " I want to apologize. This all my fault.  I did such a stupid action during the trip. You can do whatever you want to me." 

              " What did you do?" Bambam asked, almost squeaking. Yugyeom's looking rather dazed.

              The older bit his lip, that night incident flashing in his mind. " Stupid thing. I... kicked Im Jaebum and yelled at him."

              Bambam raised his brow, wondered if he's listening it right. " Hyung you did what?" 

            " I kicked Im Jaebum and pretty much pissed him off." Youngjae sat on the ground. " I didn't think straight. I'll take care of this quickly. Yugyeom, you're going to be okay. I-I won't let them hurt you!"

             The foreigner winced, " Fine, do it quickly, hyung."

 

***

 

           Youngjae needed time to think of a plan to negotiate with the F4 but no one waited to start the hunting. On their way back to class, Yugyeom's phone received messages from severeal unknown numbers.

              What are you guys doing? 

              Heard you guys blow each other?

              Is he any good?

              Whoa, no wonder his lips look like that.

            Even before Yugyeom could react, Bambam had already snatched the phone from his hand then deleted the messages. " You better change your number fast."  

              " Oh, look who's skipping class." Yugyeom turned his head only to see some juniors standing behind them. " The lovebirds."

             Bambam shot them a glare, but didn't say anything. He nudged his friend to keep walking.

            The nearest junior managed to catch his left arm and jerked him close though. " I wonder how it feels to be blown by another boy. Moreover with those lips." 

             " off," Yugyeom swatted his hand from Bambam's arm. 

             " Oooh, someone's angry," He could hear another boy jeered. " If he's that good, why not share? Sharing is caring!"

            After three years knowing him, that day was the first time Bambam had ever seen Kim Yugyeom so angry that he punched a person. " Dare to say it once again-" His sentence was cut by a punch thrown at him right in the face. 

              " Who do you think you are huh??"

              " -"

             " No, Yugyeom, they're not worth it!" Bambam reached out his hands but before he could even reach him, someone pulled his blazer. " What the hell? Let go!" He thrashed around, trying to break away but to no avail. Another boy appeared then held his legs together. 

            " You guys should just listen to my words!" The one who's pulling Bambam dragged him to the toilet nearby, followed by two of his minions. A sense of dread filled Yugyeom as he saw the toilet door's no longer opened.

              " What the do you guys want!" Yugyeom threw his punch blindly but his energy started to betray him.

              " Shut up!"

               Help. Someone help.

               

***

 

             " Jackson, wake up," Mark's eyes followed his teacher walking around the class. " Wake up!" He shook the younger's shoulder. How the other still managed to keep moving to this grade was a complete mystery to him- all the Hongkonger did was flirting with girls and slept throughout the class. 

            " Mark Tuan, no cheating!" He jumped on his spot as he heard his teacher called him out. 

            " I don't cheat, sir!" 

           " Good-" The teacher's eyes wandered to the person next to him. " Jackson Wang, no sleeping!" Learning from his experience, he turned his heels towards his desk to take out a spray can, before making his way to the sleeping student. " Wake up!" He said in loud voice as he attacked the boy.

            " Oh my God! It's raining!" Jackson stood up abruptly. He innocently looked up at the ceiling. " It's not raining, sir!" 

           " Jackson Wang, get out and wash your face," the teacher shook his head in defeat. The said boy's face lighted up in an instant, he didn't even try to conceal his happiness to be given a free excuse to get out of the class. He patted the teacher's shoulder, continuously thanking him as he sashayed away.  

            The test was not as easy as he had hoped, but he still could answered most of the questions, he'd definitely pass this one. Nothing's going to ruin his mood, the weather's nice, the sun's bright, even butterflies're dancing around, such a pretty... sight...