Chapter 5: Find the truth (part 1)

THE SUN

Soojin POV:

Right now, a woman sit in front of me..she like a dead person. Not talking or move her body, she just looking at the same direction for an hour,

“Excusme, Miss..you called me because you want to talk something to me, right?,” finally she move her head, she noded, “from your state, I already know that Jonghyun still didn’t contact you until today..yahh..” I screamed because it’s like I talked to myself, “your state right now is really bad..you look like zombie, you know?,” then she turned her head.

“Are we that close, you called me ‘yah’..unni..?, I didn’t heard it wrong, right?,” finally..she like human, she talk to me.

“Ahh..seriouslly, you want to continue this investigation with me or not?, if you want..back to your state..don’t live like this..I already gather some information.”

“I’ll continue..we still can gather information although he can’t remember anything..sorry, I make you angry..” she said sorry often these day.

“Okay, let’s go to my house.” These days..she will come to my house to investigate about her oppa incident because she didn’t want her parent know that she dig up about her oppa incident. I thought she won’t last long in this investigation, but now she more passionate than before...

“I went to Jinhyuk new house, but he refused to meet me, he know that I’m a detective who’s in a team that investigate him 7 years ago. I think, if you come to his house and he won’t know, you never meet him in person, right?,” I asked to her. I came to Jinhyuk’s new house yesterday, but his wife said that he has nothing to say to me even before meet me.

“I’ll try it, give me photos that you take from CCTV,” I just smile when she obidiently do what I want her to do.

“Okay, this is my investigation for now,” I pointed out the board that I placed in my room. She look at it and smile,

“So, the patients record and guest book..really help our investigation?,” she asked.

“For now, I don’t know.” Because I just wrote who’s the last person who meet Woosik as a guest and as a patient that day,

“After some interogation, I get the information about the last guest,” I give her a paper that containing information about Wooshik’s last guest. His name is Nam Minjoon, a bussinesman,

“Minjoon?, why I feel familiar with this name?,” she tried to remember, “ah..the novelis name..Minjoon, but I don’t know his family name..and Minjoon who I know is a novelis, not a bussinesman..” she know a lot of people than I expected,

“Who’s Minjoon who you know?,” I asked.

“My favorite novelis. You don’t know about him?, he’s hot right now...”

“Minjoon?, what kind of novel did he wrote?,” I asked.

“Psychology novel...but he doesn’t want to show his face to public, so I don’t know.. this Minjoon is the same with that Minjoon or not. And I’m not sure if Minjoon is his real name or not. ” Then we quiet for a moment, “do you know his close friend?,” she asked.

“Hmm..I know some of them...why?.”

“Maybe they know something about his problem..why there is a person want to do that thing to him.”

“Ah...I’ll ask then. I want to ask you something..” something that makes me wonder...for a long time.

“What is that?.”

“Why you loved your brother?,” she look shicked when she heard my question, and she is in deep thought,

“Why I loved him?. Is it because that day...I think it’s start from that day.”

 

Flashback:

Today is the first time Ahyoung meet her new family, her mother said to her that they’ll nice to them,

“Wah..is she Ahyoung?,” a man asked her, Ahyoung just smile to him. A child just sit in his seat, didn’t put smile or greeting them, so his dad went to him and told him to greet Ahyoung and her mother, still doesn’t put smile he greet his new family,

“Annyonghasseo, I’m Wooshik..,” he bowed and then back to his seat.

“Sorry, he isn’t an expresive child, have a seat,” the dad asked them to sit.

They talked a lot about their new family and then suddenly he went away makes his dad say sorry to Ahyoung and Ahyoung’s mom many times,

“I’ll try to talk to him,” said Ahyoung. Ahyoung follow him, he sit by himself in a bench in front of restaurant, “you don’t like us to be part of your family?,” she asked, “are you annoyed because you think my mother will replace your mother position?,” she asked once again, this question make him turn his head, he look angry.

“Do you think your mother will be able to replace my mother?,” he asked.

“No..I don’t think so. Your mother is your mother and my mother is my mother..my mother won’t  be able to replace your mother place  in your heart or your father heart..and..your father won’t be able to replace my father place in my heart and my mother heart, but my mother and your father want to try to happy once again, can you accept that?,” she talk like an adult.

“Who are you to said like that to me?, are we even that close..” and he leave her like that. After that day, he never smile to her. He ever tried to run away from home after two years of his father and her mother marriage..it was happen after he pushed her..that make her fall from stairs..And then she said to him,

“You just a child..don’t try to do something fool like that...you won’t be able to live without someone beside you..,” that time he just graduated from middle school, “ if you want run away from this house because you hate me and my mother..don’t do that..dad and mom will feel wrong..can’t you just behave like me?, it’s already three years. I lost my dad too when I’m 5 years old..at least you spent more time with your mother before she leave you, but me..that time..was my dad last match..as you know he was a boxer. He promised to mom that day is his last match, because he had injury in his head..that day, I didn’t watch his match, mom want me to sleep..then I sleep in my room, mom locked the door. But when she get news from dad’s friend that my dad fainted, he forget to wake me up and just run to hospital..that day, he left us. I couldn’t said anything to him..but you, you were with your mom all the time..until she closed her eyes..” she cried, he looked at her, he want to console her, but he didn’t do it,

“You always talk like an adult..you just seven years younger then me,” and then he back to the house, she just smiled to him, “after this..call me oppa.” and smile to her. And she become his sun..his sun that always shine strongly.

Maybe it’s start from that day...he changed..he never angry like before, we often play together, study together, he always help me when I had hard time..maybe because he was really good to me, so that makes me love him, not as an older brother, but as a man. Although I know he already had girlfriend, I still love him. When I know he already break up with his girlfriend, I gained courage to confess my feeling to him, but he rejected me.

Back to 2016:

“You loved him because he was really good to you?,” I asked to her.

“Hmm..I think, I fall for him because of that..” suddenly she is in deep thought, “ah..I always fall for someone..just because the someone always good to me..my brother..and Jonghyun too.”

“So, you fall for Jonghyun because he was really good to you, and then you confessed your feeling?,” she noded, “you are a girl who too easy to fall in love, ckckck...” she look at me, looks like she want to hit me, “you meet Jonghyun just months after your brother rejected you..and then, you getting closer to him in a month..not long after that, you decided to confess to him..”

“Just because of that you said that I’m a girl who are too easy to fall in love. Although I’m too easy to fall in love with someone, I just can’t forget about him that easy.”

“You forget about your love to your brother after meet Jonghyun..”

“It’s because he want me to do that..I give up on him because I don’t want to make him uncomfortable around me..” I just smile to her, from child till now, she still has that speech talent, no wonder she choosed to became radio DJ.

*

Jonghyun still in his room, although lunch break already finished, he still there,

“What am I doing now..?, am I waiting for her to came?. She already said that time..that day was her last day..it’s already four days ago..,” he stand up and take his coat.

“I’ll back in an hour..I have an appoinment with a patient in 3 o’clock,” he inform his assistant and then left hospital.

When he about to enter a restaurant, someone call him...

“Wah..we meet again,” she said, Jonghyun look know who is she.

“What are you doing here, noona?,” he asked.

“Yah..just call me by name..I just one year older than you,” she look mad. She is Lee Hyeri, Jonghyun senior in high school., “you still didn’t eat lunch?, let’s eat together, I’m regular in this restaurant,” suddenly she link her arm to Jonghyun arm.

“Are we this close before?,” Jonghyun asked when they enter the restaurant.

“Why?, then are you hate me before?,” she asked without answer his question.

“Eventhough we didn’t hate each other before, I think it’s to much,” and asked her to release his arm. They eat together, Jonghyun just eat without talking, but Hyeri really like to talk..

“Our father are friend, can’t we became friend like them?,” she asked Jonghyun.

“You said to me that you are one year older than me, how can we can be friend when you are one year older than me..”

“You can make a joke too?,” she hits his arm, “you didn’t know that my father is older than your father..but they can became friend..” Jonghyun just smile to her,

“We’ll paying separately..” Jonghyun said it after eating.

“What?, yah..you are not real man..” Hyeri protesed.

“Why?, are you the one who will pay?. You are the one who want us to eat together..so you’ll pay..”

“Wah..Jonghyun-ah..you became more harsh than before..I can pay it, but I won’t do it. You’ll pay it, because you are the man..”

“It’s not because I don’t have money..but, I never said to you that I’ll treat you..so, why I must pay for your food too?. You said that you are regular in this restaurant, right?, just ask them to give you discount, celebrity discount..” he said then leave her. Lee Hyeri is a famous model and owner of one of famous boutique in Seoul, and she is also the model for her own brand.

“Seriously..I can’t understand why he behave like that in front of me..he know that I’m celebrity..but why he did this to me..he still didn’t know about my father and his father plan?, why he didn’t say anything about that?,” she walk to the casier, “and I can’t understand..why dad always say that he is a good son..so that I’ll happy if I live the rest of my life with him..” she shake her head, “should I say to dad that I’ll accept the matchmaking?, so I can give him a lesson..how to act manly in front of woman.” She is grining while looking at Jonghyun.

Jonghyun talking to someone on the phone,

“He’s come to Korea?, ahh..I’ll go home faster then. Thank you ahjussi..” and end the call, “finally, I can meet you and ask directly to you..about something that bothering me lately..”

*

Ahyoung still busy to help the other staff to prepare for white day..and it’s already decide that they’ll celebrate 5th year anniversary of Starlight radio on the same day, so they get super busy. It’s already 1 AM, Ahyoung decided to sleep there with radio PD because she feel scared to go home by herself at that time..

Unni, I’ll sleep here...” she said to the PD.

“You worked hard for that performance...wanna do duet?,” she asked while face the screen.

“I must work hard, I’m the DJ afterall... Duet..what kind of duet?, with who?.”

“You know that we’ll invite the first DJ of this Radio, right?. Do duet with her, you close to her, right?,” she is talking about model Lee Hyeri, she is the first DJ of Starlight radio, “yesterday I meet her, and she said she want to do special performance with you..”

“That women?..ah it’ll be hard. I’m not that close with her..” she denied it, “there are 10 days left now..how can we prepare for duet?.”

“Just sleep for now...we’ll talk about that tomorrow.”

Unni should sleep too..” she organize her blanket, “Unni, I’ll sleep first..”

“Hmm..”

In the morning, they got breakfast set, don’t know who delivered it, the PD just looking at that breakfast set that place in front of their radio broadcast room,

“It’s still early morning, who delivered this?,” and take it, “Ahyoung-ah, wake up, get ready for work.”

Ahyoung still lazy to open her eyes, she asked the PD about time, when PD said that it’s 07.00 o’clock,

“Why wake me up in this time?, it’s still 7 Am.” After said that he get slap from the PD.

“We got breakfast set, and there is a memo that..it’s from your admirer,” when the PD said that, Ahyoung’s eyes open widely.

“Who?, admirer?. Show me,” the PD give her the breakfast set, “although I don’t know who is the sender, just eat first..it’s look delicious,” when she about to open the wrapper, the PD take it back,

“Wash your face first, then let’s eat. After that we’ll continue our work..”. When Ahyoung finished wash her face, she enjoyed the food with the PD,

“It’s really delicious,” she start thinking, “wait..” she take the memo that the admirer wrote, “I feel familiar with this hand writing, I’ll ask security first,” she put the food and run to the security to asked who is the one who give them breakfast set,

“In early morning, there is an ahjuma who want to meet you, so, I accompanied her to radio broadcasting room. Why?, is there something wrong?,” the security asked after explained.

“No, it’s not, thank you,” and she leave the security, “maybe I’m too overacting, it’s nothing. That stalker won’t comeback again.” Then she got message from Soojin, Soojin let her know about Jinhyuk’s address, “I’ll come there today..” and head to broadcasting room, “I’ll go home first, I’ll come here again. You have worked hard, PD-nim,” and then she leave the broadcasting room.

After get wash and changed her dress, she goes straight to Jinhyuk’s house, actually it’s not that far from her house,

“Hello, can I meet Oh Jinhyuk?,” she asked to a girl who open the door, but she just looking at her, “hello, little girl..” she called her again.

“Ah...I’m not a little girl, come in, please,” she said while opening the door widely, Ahyoung come in with smile on her face, “dad, there is someone looking for you,” she called her dad, here he is. A man watching TV with a cup of coffee in his hand,

“Who are you?,” he asked when he saw Ahyoung, “are we ever meet before?,” he asked once again because he think he never meet Ahyoung.

“You don’t know her, dad?. She is a radio DJ and a MC...”

“A radio DJ..then why  a radio DJ looking for me?,” he asked again.

“Let her sit first, then talk,” the girl let her sit and make a drink for her.

“Hello, I’m Ahyoung..Kim Ahyoung. As your daughter said, I’m a radio DJ, but I come here today not as a radio DJ, but as sister from Kim Wooshik.” After she said that, his daughter come with a cup of tea,

“Drink it, have a nice talk,” and leave them.

“You still remember him, right?. He is the one who dead on hit and run incident seven years ago,”  he look nervous when Ahyoung said that, “I just want to ask you, and as the investigator said that you turn yourself in 7 years ago after tenth days of my brother dead, but one of the investigator said to me that something feel odd. You were in hospital when that accident happen..so, why you turn yourself in when you are not even the driver who hit my brother?,” she asked again to Jinhyuk.

“First of all, I’m really sorry to all your family,” he stand up and bowed to her, “I hope after this you won’t bring that up again?, that accident happen 7 years ago, and I already paid it with punishment. So...”

“You said that in front of his family...I were at that place when a car hit my brother’s  body. I hope you’ll cooperate with us, ” when she about to leave him with tears on her cheek, he called her name,

“I’m sorry once again...I really want to help you..but,”

“If you want to help, then help, if you don’t want to help me, just stay quiet..but I won’t stay quiet like you..I really want to know who is the real criminal here. The one who hit my brother with his/her car..and then paied you..” and she leave his house, his daughter heard all of the conversation, she follow Ahyoung,

Unni..” she called her, Ahyoung smile to her,

“Sorry, I made commotion in your house..,” smiles to her again.

“If I can help I’ll help..I’m really sorry to your family, my dad do that because of me.” Ahyoung looks confused by her sudden confession, “7 years ago..three days after my surgery, a call come from his former boss..and then after that suddenly he said to me that..I’ll get treated until it healed. Now..after heard your conversation with dad, I think I know why he suddenly prisoned back then..and days after that I really get treated until healed..I live happily and healthy like this, but unni and your family..lose one of your dearest person..I’m really sorry..” Ahyoung rubbing her back..calm her down.

“It’s not even your fault..why you are being so sorry...,” Ahyoung want to ask something to her, but she wait until she stop crying, “can I ask you something?,” she noded, “do you know who is your dad’s former boss who called him that day?.”

“I don’t really know about that..I know one of his job back then, he was a driver for a rich family for years, that family now, have a large company.. Inho Group.” Ahyoung bid farewell and said thanks to her after she told her what she know about what happen 7 years ago. When she about to call Soojin to inform her about what she get today, a message come..it’s from number that she doesn’t know, she open the message and shocked when she read it...

Let’s have lunch..I have something to talk to you..

Come to ‘Four Restaurant’ near Mirae Hospital..

Jonghyun..

Although it shocked her, but she run to catch taxi so she won’t be late,

“Why he just messege me now?, it’s already 11 o’clock..”

*

She arrived at restaurant at 12 o’clock..she went convenience store nearby to buy drink and come there again at 1 o’clock. She saw Jonghyun enter the restaurant, she follow him..

“Hello,” she said when she stand in front of him, “how are you?, it’s been a long time, right?.”

“Hmm..I’m fine..how about you..,” Ahyoung smile to him and sit in front of him, “wait a little bit, the foods will come in minutes.” They spent time in silent, Ahyoung wonder why he didn’t say anything when he messaged her that he want to say something,

“So, what’s the thing you want to say to me?,” she bravely asked him.

“Let’s eat first, I will tell you after eat,” after heard that, Ahyoung become nervous, she had feeling that it won’t be a good news for her. After eat the foods, Ahyoung drink her water and start to listen what Jonghyun want to say to her,

“This...” he give her an envelope, “you can open it later,” he said after saw Ahyoung about to open the envelope, “the thing that I want to say is...I’m really sorry about this 7 years..you had really hard time..lose your brother and then your boyfriend..” why he said like he is not her boyfriend who leave her 7 years ago, he know that she still confused, “sorry, until today, I couldn’t remember what happen back then..about me dating you..about your brother’s incident, In my memory there aren’t something like that,” his words make her hurt so much, “there is a secret in our family..and my reason doing this is because of that secret... you know too much about that secret,” his statement that make she more confused, “I hope today is the last day we meet...”

“Is that really your reason?, I’ll let you know that I’m not a women who want to know all things about someone and someone family..I won’t force you to tell me about what kind of secret that your family have until you did this to me..” suddenly her tears fall down, Jonghyun saw that..he want to wipe that tears, “If in your remembrance there arent those kind of memories, fine. I won’t force you to remember  about that again..” when she about to leave, she turn her body and, “because today is the last day we meet...and because there is no word that proof that we already break up back then..I’ll say it today. Let’s break up, thank you for the good side of you that you showed to me in 22 days and thank you for this side of you that you showed to me 7 years after we apart. I also hope that today is the last day we meet like this... ” her tears fall again, and she wiped it, “I don’t know for whom I’m crying like this. Thank you, I was happy..really happy,”then she really leave him. He want to hold her, but there is something bigger that hold him right now, bigger than the feeling that he has for her,

“I’m doing this because I’m not the one who you looking for...” 

*

A day before Jonghyun meet Ahyoung:

 Jonghyun standing in front of a room, that room have a difference with another room in his house. It’s seem like a secret room, because it had password, he enter the password and then open the door,

“Hyung, how have you been,” he said after saw someone sit on the bad with his handphone on his hand..he saw a polaroid photo that placed on a lamp table next to the bed.

“Come in, I really miss my brother so much...” he stand up, but his foot trembeling.

“I’ll go there,” he walks closer to his brother and hug him, “sorry that I leave you alone there..you do all therapies alone...” he take a look at table lamp, he found out about what kind of polaroid photo is there.  In that polaroid photo there is a hand writing ‘our 22 days celebration...’ in that photo his brother huging someone...she is someone he knows...someone who made lunch box for him...

so is this the reason..why I don’t have that kind of memories..she said that we ever meet, but for me..that day is  the first time we meet..I’m really happy when she take care of my lunch..when she said in her letter that we date...but after find out that the person who date her isn’t me..why suddenly I feel sad..

“You really worked hard for me..” his brother said while rubbing his back.

*

 

After meeting you, sometime I feel worried..

Worried that the memory of me meeting you is not mine..

But you come each day to meet me, makes my worry lost..

After that, you make me like you..but I became more afraid..

What if I hurt somone with my feeling...