Chapter 17: Decision

THE SUN

Ahyoung still in her room, thinking about something. She must decide now, it’s already four days after she went to Hong’s family house, she still didn’t contact Jonghyun after that day because she feel that is really wrong. She know that Hyeri preparing for their engagement, she know it from the radio staff, last night she said to her,

“I don’t know what’s your position in their relationship, but I think is the best for you to leave them. I heard they preparing for their enggagment right now, so I hope you won’t be a bad girl who come in the middle of them, ” she said, Ahyoung grinning after heard that,

“I think you don’t know me well,” she said then leave the staff.

Back to her room, she take a deep breath after remember wgat the staff told her last night,

“Then, do you know about yourself?, what kind of person are you?, what kind of feeling you had toward that man?,” she said to herself, then she get startled because her phone ringing, it’s a call from Soojin,

“Yah..let’s meet up,” she said after Ahyoung said ‘hello’

“Why?,” she asked back.

“Why you must asked ‘why’?, meet me in café near my office,” then she end the call. Not long after that, her mom calling her name out loud,

“Yah..wake up..why are you so lazy?.”

“Me?, I’m already wake up since an hour ago,” she said while standing and open the door,

“Then why are you staying in your room?, help me, I want to make something for Soojin, she said after this you’ll meet her,” then she close the kimchi box, “I pack some side dish here, she must be really busy lately because that robbing case,” she said then give paper bag full of side dish to her,

“I’ll get prepare,” she said then leave her.

“I put on the table, mom will go to florist now because there are a new flowers come,” she said a little bit loud because the one who she talking with is already in bathroom, “mom make your favourite food, have breakfast before you go,” then she leave the house.

She saw Soojin who sit near the café window, she waves her hand while walking toward her and point out the paper bag that she bring,

“Mom give this for you,” she said then put it on the table, Soojin take a look at the paper bag, “she take care of you like a daughter in-law,” she said then sit , “what’s the thing you want to talk to me?,” she asked after drink.

“Just…I heard that you already said good bye to Jonghyun’s brother?, then how about to him, Jonghyun?,” she asked.

“Did Jonghyun want you to asked me that, unnie?,” she asked back, “it has been a week since the day I said good bye to Jonghoon, but he want me to grant his wish to keep meeting his brother,” she said.

“Then keep meet him, is that difficult?,” she asked.

“Then it’ll make me want him more..if I keep seeing him like his brother want, he’ll get engage with someone soon, should I broke it and confess that I like him?, then I’ll broke another heart,” she said then drink again.

“So, actually you like him, right?. Your first obstacle already give his permission for you to walk pass it, but then another obstacle come?.”

“She is already there, even before me. She know him before me, she like him before me, she want him before me. She is not an obstacle, he is also not obstacle. They just want to show their love to someone, so they keep standing there to make sure the other won’t snatch that someone’s heart,” she suddenly became mellow.

“What’s wrong with your words?, so..the decision you’ll make now..is…”

“I don’t know…because I think that me became their obstacle now. So, should I get rid of myself now?, so they will continue their story.”

“Yah…change that with a nice words. What’s with that ‘get rid’…Whatever the decision you’ll take, I’ll be by your side..don’t worry,” she said then smile to her, she smile back.

*

Hyeri and Jonghyun’s mom go to jewerly store to buy rings for engagement, but when choosing rings, she look hesitant to choose the ring,

“Why?, there is no ring that you like?, should she show you another one?,” she asked to Hyeri.

“It’s not like that, omoni?,” Hyeri said then smile.

Hyeri starting to choose the ring, after found rings that caught her eyes, she said to Jonghyun’s mom,

“I like that ring, but…next time I want to come here with Jonghyun, Is it okay, omoni?,” she asked.

“He’s really busy now, he couldn’t come even I asked him to come he said he couldn’t,” she said but Hyeri still said that she want to get the ring with him, because it’ll look like a couple, Jonghyun’s mom agree with that and told the lady to keep the ring, “they will come here again, if not tomorrow then two days later,” she said then they leave the store. After dropping Jonghyun mom in front of the house, Hyeri texting someone, asking Ahyoung’s number, after she get reply from the radio PD,

“Kim Ahyoung-ssi, should we meet?,” she said.

“Who is I’m talking with?,” Ahyoung asked back.

“You, didn’t know me by my voice?,” Hyeri asked back without answering, “I’m Hyeri.”

“Ahh…then can I ask, why we should meet?, is there something you want to talk to me?,” she asked.

“It’s not just something, but si many things..let’s meet now, I’ll text the place..,” she said then end the call, “hah..what am I doing right now?, am I doing the right thing?,” she asked to herself while type the text for Ahyoung.

After received the text from Hyeri, Ahyoung get going,

“Mom, I’ll meet my friend..okay,” she said then running to the bus stop nearby, she waiting for the bus while wondering why Hyeri want to meet her so sudden. She arrived at the place that Hyeri want to meet up, Hyeri already there waiting for her with a cup of coffee on her table, “hello,” Ahyoung said while bowing to her, after doing that she is thinking why she did that?, isn’t it too formal?,

“Sit down here, what you want to drink, order first, I’ll treat you,” Hyeri said.

“Why all of sudden?, I have done something wrong?,” Ahyoung suspicious with her nice behavior, Hyeri just smile after heard that, “then I’ll order first…,” she said then leave Hyeri to order drink.

They are facing each other now, Hyeri grinning and then take a deep breath,

“I don’t know why I want to do this, but for now..I think it’s the right thing to do..yeah,” suddenly she take out a string from her bag, “give me your ring finger,” Ahyoung still clueless with her weird behavior, “just give me your ring finger, don’t make me hesitant,” she said that then pull Ahyoung left hand, “I hope I won’t be sad after doing this. Did you make your decision?, meet him and tell him your decision,” she said while tying the string then take it from Ahyoung’s ring finger, “I hope it’ll fit.” Then put it back in her bag, Ahyoung look really confused right now, “for you to know, I did this not for you but for me, for myself..because I don’t want to live with a man who doesn’t love me. At first I considered him as little brother or should I say..junior?, but when my parent say to me that he is someone who’ll marry me, I change my perspective, but then he broke that, so now I tried to change my perspective again,” she said then drink her coffee, “Thank you for coming although you look confused with all of this, just wait a little bit more, and I hope you’ll make a good decision,” she said then leave her.

“What was that?, ” she still clueless with her.

Hyeri come to Jonghyun’s hospital even without making appointment, he look disinterest when he see Hyeri open the door,

“Wahh..what’s wrong with that look?, I don’t like it,” Hyeri said then sit in front of him, “I’ll do something big after this, so I hope you’ll be nice to me for a whole day….tomorrow let’s come together to a place…if you doesn’t come, you’ll know that something bad will happen to that girl,” she said, she referring to Ahyoung.

“Is this threat?, why are you doing this?,” he asked.

“You’ll find out if you come tomorrow. So, your schedule for today will be finish at…,” she want him to answer that.

“Maybe 6pm, why?,” he asked back.

“Be nice to me for a whole day…, I won’t asking for anything else if you do that just for today…, after this you’ll be so thanks full…,” she said then stand up, “I’ll comeback again,” she said then leave the room.

*

Jonghyun comeout from the hospital, Hyeri waiting for him in front of the hospital while bringing two cup of hot chocolate,

“It’s really delicious,” she said while giving a cup of hot chocolate to him, “let’s go to date…at least before the engagement we must do a proper date, right?,”  then smile, Jonghyun look doesn’t like it all, “what I said to you before?, be nice to me for the whole day, now is 6 pm, so in the next 6 hours, you must be nice to me,” she said then smile.

“Then, I must spend my 6 hours with you..until midnight?. Why?,” he asked her.

“Because if you don’t, something maybe happen to your precious sun…,” she get in to the car, “get in, let’s go to the outdoor ice skating, suddenly I want to skate now..,” she said, he, although doesn’t know anything about her intention doing all of this follow her.

They skating for about 30 minutes then take a rest, Jonghyun bought a cup of cheap coffee for them, Hyeri grinning,

“Because you want to keep playing until midnight, so I thought it’ll help you to keep your eyes open,” he said then drink the hot coffee, “where should we go after this?,” he asked.

“Is it start now?, the real date?, okay..let’s skate together, while holding hands,” she said then she reaching her hand, “let’s go..,” Jonghyun grab her hand,

“Just for tonight,” he said, Hyeri smile after heard that,

“Do you love her that much?, don’t worry, it’s just for tonight, you hold my hand,” then they start skating together. There are a lot of lovey dovey couple there, “I don’t love you that much, but why am I so afraid losing you?,” she suddenly asking that, “at first, I just considered you as a junior, but when I think back…you are a good boy too, it’s not that bad having a husband like you, then I said to my parent that I’ll try it..try to love you..I don’t know it’ll became this bad..that love.” Jonghyun grinning after hearing that,

“Why are you suddenly doing these things?, since in the hospital you said so many weirds words..not like you,” he said then Hyeri pulling him to sit on the bench, they decided toe at something for dinner in a restaurant near the ice skating place, it’s not a fancy restaurant like her usual, but a meat house,

“Why suddenly this place?,” he asked.

“Suddenly I want to drink soju, if you want soju, then meat will be the best food, hehe..” she said then give the meat to Jonghyun, Jonghyun confused, Hyeri give him sign to cook the meat,

“Man should be the one who do that thing, right?,” she said then Jonghyun take the meat and start to cook the meat , “how much you love her?, I heard that Ahyoung is a girl you ever date 7 years ago, is that right?,” she asked.

“I’m not the one who dated her back then, she just misunderstood me as someone else, we just meet this year.”

“Not you?, then who was the guy who dated her?. How can she misunderstood her past boyfriend?, did she forget his face?, does her boyfriend have some similiarity with you?,” she asked, but he just smile, “yah..I get curious with so many things, so I hope you’ll answer it..after this I won’t do this again..answer now..”

“There is some secret in my family…now, I’m still trying to make dad to tell the world about that secret, so that secret will have freedome like me, ” he said ambiguous thing that she couldn’t understand,

“Did Kim Ahyoung know about that secret too?,” she asked.

“Hmm..she know it.”

“Then I must know it too, ” she said then eat the meat, “what kind of secret is that?,” she asked.

“My brother,” without another thought, he just told her like that, Hyeri still look confused, “I have a brother, you don’t know about it because we keep it secret, and we are twin brother,” he said, after heard that Hyeri frozen, the meat that she’s going to eat is still in her hand, she is in disbelieve,

“Yah..I know your family that long, but why I don’t know that you have a twin?, are both of you really resemble each other that much, until Ahyoung couldn’t differentianted both of you?,” she asked.

“Our face resemble each other so much..back then, but I think it’s not like Ahyoung couldn’t differentianted both of us, she didn’t know that her boyfriend have twin, I think back then she already feel strange with my behavior, because my behavior and my brother behavior are  really different,” he said then eat his meat, Hyeri back to her meat while thinking, she look like want to ask something but she trying to not ask it, “why?, what’s your next question?,” he asked her.

“I don’t know if it’s okay if I ask this, but why your family hide him away from public?.”

“Because he has illness from child, and dad said that it’ll influence his public image so he decide to hide him, but still treat his illness,” he said then smile, Hyeri looking at him sadly, “why are you looking at me like that?, don’t pity me.”

“Aishh…I won’t pity you, Mr. Hong Jonghyun…then how is his condition now?, is he better now?.”

“I couldn’t say that he’s in better condition because after the last surgery his stamina decressing,” he said, suddenly she grab his hand, “why?”

“My way to telling you that all is well, he’ll get better soon,” then smile.

On their way to the next place, Hyeri turn on the radio,

“It’s almost 10 Pm, so her radio will be on air..,” then looking at him who sit on driver seat, “so, why you like your brother girlfriend?,” that question..suddenly making his heart in pain,

“She come to me first, call me by name and give me a lot of affection such us gave me lunch box everyday in a week, making a note so I’ll remember her, then looking at her face..I don’t know I slowly like her. They already break up now, they decided that after separated for 7 years.  There are so many things that you don’t know about our story, me, my brother and Ahyoung..it such a complex one..and I don’t think it’ll be good if I tell you about that too..”

“Okay..I won’t asking about that then. Then your brother ever comeout from your house back then?, he able to meet Ahyoung and dated her, you said that he couldn’t comeout of the house except for treatment, right?, ” Jonghyun grinning after heard that,

“Finally you catch something strange. He comeout as me, as Hong Jonghyun. So he dated Ahyoung as Jonghyun, not Jonghoon.”

“Ah..his name is Jonghoon?, he must be suffered a lot. Ahyoung must be a precious women for him then, she is the only girl he meet after coming out from the house…”

“Am I a bad brother then?, she is precious to him, but I want her to be mine…”

“Did you told him that you like her?,” she asked, Jonghyun shaking head, “then he decided it by himself, without pressure. Don’t blame your feeling too much..it’s not anyone fault, you’re not a bad brother either..yah..why I comfort you too much today, you should be the one who do that to me though. Let’s end this kind of conversation and back to original plan.” They came to the park while listening to Ahyoung’s radio, “she is really good…do you know why I did that to her last time?, because I want her to feel the same as me, although I don’t love you as much as her, but I feel that pain too…”

“Then..I apologize to you for making you hurt although is just a little…, the reason you did this to me is?,” he asked what the thing that make him wonder all the time,

“Because I want a reward..reward for doing something big,” then she take out something from her bag, “come to the this jewelry store tomorrow and bring this,” she said while giving him a paper that write the jewelry store address and the string that she brought when she meet Ahyoung before,

“What is this?,” he asked.

“It’s my decision..give me big reward if this plane goes well…” he still clueless about that, “that’s Ahyoung’s ring finger size…give it to the jewelry store worker said to her that it’s my finger size..,” Jonghyun look amaze with her plan, “am I that cool?, why are you looking at me like that?.”

“Are you sure it’ll be okay?,” he asked.

“It won’t be okay, but I think it’ll be  better if I did this before preparation of the engagement complete, right?. I will tell them that this engagement will be canceled, it’s not just because of you..but it’s also because of me.., don’t worry.” Then she standing when the radio come to end, “let’s go to the broadcast station now. Ask her about her decision,” she said while walking to the car. The broadcast station not that far from that park, in 15 minutes they arrived in front of the building but then, Hyeri see something, Ahyoung with a man, “who is he?,” he asked to Jonghyun while pointing at the man who standing next to Ahyoung, Jonghyun walk faster while saying,

“Stalker…,” after heard that Hyeri walk faster too, “Kim Ahyoung-ssi,” she said when they reached where Ahyoung and that man are, “why you walking side by side with a stalker,” she asked, Mingook who heard that just smile,

“Ahyoung-ah,” Jonghyun calling her name.

“Before that, I want to introduce myself. Hello, I’m Mingook..Nam Mingook,” Mingook said after bowing. Hyeri feel familiar with that name…Mingook?,

“That..from that big company, the heir, right?,” she asked, “but, why stalker?.”

“I was her stalker, now I’m her friend. I think, Jonghyun-ssi still feel angry whenenver he see me,” Mingook said while smiling to Jonghyun.

“Yah..Kim Ahyoung..I already decided what kind of ending I would be have with him…so you must decide now too..must… So he came here, to asked your decision, I’ll make my own happy ending..but not with him,” she said, Mingook then step back,

“Then have a great time together. Make your own happy ending too, Ahyoung-ah. Think of that as reward for you,” he said, “I’ll go home now..,” Mingook leave them, Hyeri following him from behind and leave without say anything to Jonghyun or Ahyoung,

“Then..let’s sit there,” Ahyoung said while pointing sofa at the lobby, and walking there, “my decision, right?, I must say it now…” he said not long after sitting. Jonghyun take a deep breath,

“I’m not forcing you to say it now, you still have time, I’ll wait…,” he said because he is afraid that her rush decision is not that good,

“Is he okay now?,” she asked about Jonghoon’s condition.

“He’ll be okay..I’m trying to giving him something special. Because he giving up someone special for him to me,” he said then looking at Ahyoung.

“Then should I grant his wish too?,” she asked, Jonghyun doesn’t know what kind of wish that his brother want her to grant, “should I do it?. Hyeri-ssi said that she’ll make her own happy ending with someone else, should I make my happy ending with you?,” she asked, Jonghyun smile,

“If that really the thing you want, then do it.”

“But..if I have happy ending, I don’t want someone else have sad ending, I want all of us have happy ending, like me…”

“All of us?. As you heard before that Hyeri will make her own happy ending, not with me. My brother, maybe now his condition is not that good because he just give up on you, but someday he’ll get something that’ll make him feel better, I promise that. Is there someone else?,” he asked while looking at Ahyoung, “your parent?, Soojin-ssi?, or..that person..Mingook-ssi?,” he asked.

“Mingook?, maybe he was my stalker who really like me, but after became my friend..I ever ask him if he considering me more than friend but he just said that..after knowing me, he think it’s better like this..just friend. My parent is in good condition right now, Soojin unnie still busy with her job, then how about your parent, Hyeri-ssi’s parent, are  they will be okay?, are you sure?.”

“You think about them too?,  if you think a happy ending for them too it’ll be difficult. I don’t think they’ll be happy with a sudden cancelation of the engagement, but they do know that I oppose that engagement, especially my parent. If we end up together, at least they will know the reason I do that…they’ll be happy if their child happy, right?.”

“Ah..really??, then…” she trying to hold his hand, “should we try?, we should make a way to make our own happy ending, should we start now?,” she asked with smile, he smile back to her, “that’s my decision to grant his wish.”

“Then let’s meet again in the day I give my brother that present and let’s include him in our happy ending…,” he said then tighten his hand to her, “let’s smile together with him…”

“When..?”

“Soon…I’m trying hard to get that present faster…”