Chapter 4: Remember Me

THE SUN

Jonghyun POV:

I still remember her words, what she said last time. She said we ever meet, long time ago, but why there isn’t recollection at all?, was something bad happen to me before?, I don’t think I have a big incident before...and then someone knocking my door, I let him/her come in, “Annyonghasseyo..I’m Minah, one of nurse in this hospital,” she brings something, it’s like lunch box, “hmm..Dr. Hong knows Kim Ahyoung, right?she is my friend, and she want me to give it to you,” she give me that lunch box, “she said that it’s her gratitude for you, she is your fan..” she said that, makes me shocked. “What do you mean?, a fan?.” “Ahh..should I say an admirer, it’s more elegant, hehe. Then..excusme me..” and she leave my room. Am I that popular?, it’s just my second week in Korea after long time, and she said that Ahyoung-ssi is my fan?. I open the lunch box..there is letter plastered on the lunch box, before eat the lunch, I open the letter, it’s just make me curious..is it a letter fan?,

To Jonghyun... It’s feel like I just meet you..but it’s already 7 years.. That day when we first meet, it was the first snow I wiped your noseblood and gave you scarf to keep you warm, and you gave me bandaids to heal my wound and then treat me warm drink... Although we just meet, we help each other like that. It’s because that time we had visible injuries, so we treated each other.. and consoled each other so that it’ll get better.. But now, we have invisible injuries..Can we treat and console each other, Like before?... Ahyoung-ie

“She gave me a scarf?, bandaids?, she had a wound that time?. Is it because of me?,” I asked that all of the question to myself, I can’t find anything..I don’t remember anything. I want to meet the nurse again, ask about the sender..how can she know me.., “excusme?, a nurse who name Minah..is she here right now?,” I asked to one of the nurse that meeet me in hallway. “Ah..Minah?, she is having lunch right now, with her friend in hospital canteen..” I try to find her in the hospital canteen..here she go, she is talking to someone, her friend, Ahyoung. I want to ask directly to her..but I can’t..I think..if I really meet her before..long time ago, and I don’t know anything about it..and ask a lot of thing about it to her, but still there is no memories like she said in my head, then she’ll be hurt. I can’t hurt people who just know me..and she is so kind like this. I just look at her from a far, deep ly look at her face, her smile..did we meet before?, did I saw this face a long time ago?, did that smile really appeared before me long time ago?. I can’t find a single answer, I’ll try. If she really meet me before..I’ll try to remember it.

*

Ahyoung have lunch with her friend Minah at Hospital canteen, after give her the lunch box to give it to Jonghyun, she treated her, “Yah..thank you.” Ahyoung said, “so, what did you said to him while gave that lunch box to him?.”

“I said that..the lunch box is your gratitude toward him..and you are one of his fan..his admirer,” Ahyoung shocked with her reply. “What?, a fan?, an admirer?, are you crazy?, why you said that?.”

“You said that you’ll give lunch box to him in six days..if it’s just gratitude, it’ll be too much. So I said that, you are his fan..haha,” while pushing Ahyoung body, “ah..if it’s just gratitude, you can give it to him by yourself, but you asked me to give it to him..and I saw something that you put on the lunch box..letter..isn’t that a fan letter?,” she asked..teasing Ahyoung.

“Ah..I regret it..treat you like this...” “Yah..why?, your fan letter..already in his hand..haha..” Ahyoung give a fruit inside . “Just eat this..” Minah look angry, but still eat the fruit.

Ahyoung goes to florist..her mom is the owner, “Mom..Ahyoung-ie is coming..” she said, “where is dad?,” she asked, “at gym?again?,” her step dad is a boxing trainer..he was a former boxing player, like her dad.

“Hmm..he go to the gym..he said that there is a new comer, he want to greet him..just that..” “Have a break and go home, I’ll be here until six o’clock..,” she brought something, “it’s your favorite food, I bought it,” give it to her mom. “What’s the other paper bag?,” she asked. “Just a novel,” she bought a novel by a writer named Minjoon, he’s not a popular novelis, but novels that he wrote really special. He talked to his readers about psycology, like: he told story about how a psycho live his/her live, he wrote that like he experience it, it’s like real, “wah..this person novel is so cool..,” Ahyoung said while reading the novel, “he just realesedd three novel in 7 years..but it’s so good, why he’s not became popular like other novelis?..” “If you want to read just read, don’t talk to yourself, like a crazy person,” her mother protesed, “mom go home first, dad will come in two hours, be carefull,” she said.

“Mom too,” and her mother leave. Not long after her mother leave, a man come in to the shop, “hello, what kind of flower are you looking for?,” she asked to the customer.

“Are you new here?,” he asked, Ahyoung doesn’t know what he mean?, “I mean, usually an ahjumma here. Your face..familiar for me” “Ah..I’m the owner’s daughter. My mother want to take a rest, so she goes home. I’m a radio DJ and sometime I’m MCing television program, maybe..you ever saw me on TV. Are you come here often?,” she asked because of what just he said.

“Ahh..that’s right, Yul DJ, right?. Yes..once in a month or two months?, hmm about that..it’s already six years..” he gave detail explanation. “Wah..that long, but I never saw you..if yoy come here often, then your name must be writen here, what’s your name customer-nim?,” she asked while open a book. “Nam Mingook,” he answer. Then she looking for that name in the book..she found that,

“You like daisy?, my brother like that flower too..and because of he like it, I became like that flower too, ” she suddenly talk about her oppa, “Ah..sorry, so..for today, do you want to buy daisy too?,” she asked. “Yes..,” he replied briefly and then smile to her.

“Is he/she a special person?,” she asked while preparing the daisy for him.

“He is my hero..a person who helped me..to became a better person,” he replied while looking at her who still busy preparing the flower.

“Here, your flower. Wah..you give it to the same person every month?, ” she asked while give the flower to her customer. “Not always to the same person..there are three who I give this flower, but today just for two person. The first one is my mother and then my hero.” After heard that Ahyoung preparing flower again. “If you want to give to 2 persons, why you bought just that,” she gave him another flowers, he staring at her, “give it to your mother, I give a nice warper..she will like it,” she said.

“Thank you, she’ll like it,” then he pay for the flowers. “have a nice day,” she bowed to him when he leave the shop.

Jonghyun just come out from surgery room, when he walks pass by the information room, he heard something...Starlight radio broadcasting..he takes step closer, “Who’s the DJ of this radio?,” he asked to one of nurse who are in information room. “Her nickname is Yul, her real name is Ahyoung, Kim Ahyoung. She is a famous DJ,” she replied it, Jonghyun smile after hear her replied. “Ah..Kim Ahyoung-ssi?,” he sits near the radio, “is that radio broadcast everynight?,” he asked again. “Ah..yes, everynight at 10 Pm..,” after heard her replied, Jonghyun look at the clock.

“It’ll end in 10 minutes,” he sounded little bit dissapointed.

“Are you her fan, Dr Hong?,” she asked, for the first time after long conversatation.

“Ah..I just curious, because many people said that she is really good Dj..” after the broadcast end, Jonghyun walk slowly to his room while think about Ahyoung’s letter, “who is she?, why I can’t remember anything about her?.”

*

Today is the second day, Ahyoung give Jonghyun lunch box again and of course Minah is the one who became deliver, “This time...she cook that by herself, she said that you like that food, enjoy your lunch,” she said and then leave Jonghyun’s room. He open the paper bag, and like before, there is a letter..Jonghyun open the letter while smiling..

Jonghyun-ie...

From that day we shared so many stories..ah, should I say I shared so many stories to you?, because I’m the one who talk active.. I said that I hate rain, but I like hear the sound of rain.. And then, every time you meet me, you always brought umbrella.. If you didn’t that good to me..I won’t be so sad when you suddenly leave me.. The day when I said ‘I love you’ to you, I still remember the face of you And then you coolly saying, ‘Alright, let’s start date..’ That was my second time to conffess to someone.. But that was my first time to have that kind of replied... Thank You..

“We have dated before?, I don’t have the memories about dating someone, did she play prank on me, right now?,” he open the lunch box..there is kimbab and then fruits..kiwi and grape, “that nurse said that she made my favorite, but..kimbab not my favourite food..” he in deep thought..he remember someone who loved kimbab, “could it be?,” although it’s not his favourite food, he still eat the kimbab.

*

“What are you doing to him right now?,” Soojin asked to Ahyoung who sit in front of her, Soojin looks surprised, “for who you did this?, for yourself or four our investigation?,” she asked. “For both of them...I want he remember me and after that..he’ll slowly remember about that incident.”

“Because he’s your first boyfriend, you still have lingering feeling, right?,” she teased Ahyoung.

“Wah..right now, I try to help you..stop teasing me. ”

“Okay, sorry..so, if he still doesn’t remember anything about you after you did that..or about that incident, what are you going to do?,” she asked the question that makes Ahyoung in deep thought.

“What should I do, then?. You know that I’m that type of woman, a woman who doesn’t give up so easily if she determain on something..And although he can’t remember about the incident, there are still the other way to capture the real criminal.., ” she gave Soojin her oppa patients record and guest book, “yesterday I come to his work place..the nurse said that it’s so difficult to find file from 7 years ago. What about Oh Jinhyuk?.”

 “Thank you. It’s not easy, I come to his house yesterday, but his neighbor said that he already moved to the other house a month ago..I still trying to find him. I wish you luck..I hope he’ll remember everything about his past.”

“Thank you..”

 “Ah..why you don’t meet him by yourself..if he continuously meet you, maybe it’ll help him to remember about his past,” Soojin gave Ahyoung advice, Ahyoung thinking about that, “if he continuosly hear your voice, maybe he’ll feel familiar with your voice..” Ahyoung smile after heard her advice.

“Wah..that’s good. I’ll do that from tomorrow..” she smiles to Soojin.

*

Start today..Ahyoung deliver the lunch box by herself, she arrive at hospital and asked Minah to accompany her to his room, “Wah..finally, a fan meet her idol.. ” Ahyoung hits her hand, “it’s hurt..” Ahyoung knocking the door, his voice..

”come in..” Jonghyun look surprised when he looks at Ahyoung who stand in front of him, “Hello,” Ahyoung bows to him, he still frozen..,”it’s third lunch box for you..sorry if what I’ve do really distrubed you..but, I still want to do this..” she put the lunch box on his table, I hope you like it..,” Jonghyun didn’t say anything, “you still the same..I’m really glad that you comeback coolly, eventhough you forget about me,” after said that she look shy, “enjoy your lunch,” she said and then leave his room. Jonghyun open the lunch box and smile, “Just try it..I’ll accept what you give to me..after all, you are the first woman who bravely approach me.” He smile once again when he read her letter, “good luck.”

Ahyoung POV:

I must be crazy..it’s already 7 years ago, but why I get nervous when I meet him..and I must meet him again..why I have that kind of idea..pabo Ahyoung.

“Ahh..you must be crazy..you didn’t said anything to me about that..” Minah said, we have dinner together before my radio broadcast, “you meet him 7 years ago, you never said anything about meeting him before.” “Because he didn’t want me to say anything about him to my friend or family..so that’s why..”

“What’s your relationship with him anywhy until he said that to you.”

“Friend..and then we get closer..and we date for a short time..” I told her about my past.

“So you did this because you feel you date her in a short time, so you want to make it longer by doing this, like that?.”

“Maybe..it’s one of my reason for doing this..but that’s not my only reason,” I said to her, she look curious after heard that.

“What’s the other reason?,” she asked. “My oppa..” I just give her a showt answer, but she know what I mean..and then noded. “Good luck then.”

I give to him the next day, he never leave his room when lunch time, because curious about that I asked him, “You always in this room even the lunch break?.”

“If I leave this room, then you won’t meet me..you give me lunch box..why I must leave the room to get my lunch when I can waiting for my lunch here..” what he said..is that because he want to meet me..or is that because he just doesn’t want back and forth to get his lunch.

“Ahh..then..enjoy your lunch..”

“You didn’t asked if I remember about the past..about meeting you?,” his question makes me wonder if he really remember it, “I’m still in the process, keep trying...” and he makes my heart broke, what is he trying to do?. He open the paper bag and take out the letter, “want me to read it in front of you?,” he asked, I give him starnge look and then I leave the room, “Just..enjoy your lunch.”

And then the next day I come again..he smile after look at me who brought the lunch box for him, he takes the lunch box from my hand, “You’ll do it until I remember about our past, right?.”

“Wait..it sound like..you use me..I did that until the day after tomorrow..after that..I won’t do it again,” he really ruin my mood and my plan, what is this?.

“Why?, it’s not like I’m the one who asked you to did this. I’m not using you, I asked that because..I get used to you, day by day..if suddenly you didn’t come here..I don’t know..maybe it feel I’ll lost my new friend?,” he said..what does he mean?, is he happy that I come here everyday or he happy because of my lunch box?.

“Just enjoy your lunch..I’ll leave first..” I leave his room. And now, I’m in deep thought. Is amnesia makes someone’s behaviour change?, or is it me who didn’t know that much about him?. After delivered lunch box for him, I meet Soojin unni in front of hospital,

“What’s wrong with your face,” she asked when saw me.

“Unni, I want to ask something. Is amnesia make someone’s behaviour change?,” I asked. “Why?, did his behaviour change?.”

“It’s just I feel there is something different. Or is it just me who didn’t know that much about him?. Jonghyun who I know was someone who doesn’t really like to start the conversation..”

“I don’t know about amnesia can change someone behaviour. Just think that you didn’t know that much about him, you just dating him for 22 days...it’s not even a month..you won’t know all about him in that short time.” That’s right..just think like that..I don’t know him that much,

“Then..why unni suddenly come here?, want to talk something to me?,” I asked her because she suddenly contacted me and want to meet me.

“Ah...I found Oh Jinhyuk’s new address, I’ll go there..wanna come with me?,” she asked me.

“I have radio recording after this, so I can’t join you, sorry unni.” Because starlight radio team still busy for white day preparation, if there is a day like that, we’ll record the radio broadcast before.

“Ah..okay, it’s okay, I’ll come there by myself then..have you had lunch?,” she asked me. “Nope, let’s go..I’ll treat you..” she smile when she heard that I’ll treat her, she really worked hard for this, so I’m so thankfull towards her. The fifth day, I meet him in his room, he already waiting for me, with that smile, and I feel more comfortable to the new him..I found that the talk active Jonghyun will be more interesting... “Why I feel like...I’m a mother who make lunch for her son,” I said that, Jokingly. Open the paper bag and give him the lunch box, “You are the one who want to do this..where is the letter?,” I just smile..he looking for the letter, I didn’t write anything today..

“There isn’t letter for today..just eat the lunch,” suddenly he give me one of the foods that I packed for him, and feed me, “I already had lunch a while ago,” but he still want to feed me, “Where are you going?,” he asked when he saw me standing, “just sit there..accompany me until I finish my lunch. Actually I hate eating alone,” what’s is he talking about now?, really..I want to avoid that eyes..., “are you uncomfortable right now?,” he asked, I didn’t give him my answer, “Don’t know why..but I’m really comfortable right now...,” and eat the food.

“I don’t know that you are talk active..back then, you didn’t talk this much,” I start smile..there is a difference between the old Jonghyun and the Jonghyun who sit in front of me, but because he change to the good one..I’m happy.

“Just smile like that, I like it..,” when he said that my cheek blushing, “I listen to your radio every night, you are good at Djing...” he prised me, I smile once again, “Thank you…”

“Since you didn’t wrote letter today, you’ll tell me about our past, right?,” he asked me to tell him the story about our past. I had chit chat with him until the lunch break finished, now is different from before.“Tomorrow is the last day, right?, after that if I still didn’t remember anything, what will you do?,” he asked when I’m about to leave his room,

“I’ll do what I want to do,” and then smile to him.

Today is the last day, I packed for him the lunch box. My mom who usually at florist when lunch time, now she come home, “Do you have a boyfriend?,” she suddenly asked that when she saw me put the lunch box in paper bag, I didn’t give her the answer and headed to the door.

“I leave first, mom.” Don’t know why, today I feel heavy to go there, remember that today is the last day..I’m afraid that after this he’ll be the same..not remember anything about our past. I’m knocking the door, he open the door, “Because today is the last day..let’s eat at rooftop..from there..the city view is really pretty..” he take the lunch box from me.

“It’s cold..” he just grabing my hand, the other in the hospital saw us, including Minah who look surprised, “I’ll go..let go of my hand first..”. Although winter almost end, it’s still really cold..why he must choosed this place to have lunch.., “Aren’t you cold?, you only wearing that gown?,” I asked him, “you said to me that you had a weak body, why do you always wear something like this in this cold weather..” I take down my coat and give it to him, “wear this..it’s more warm.”

 “What kind of woman are you?, I’m a man with a pride..a woman willingly give her coat to a man and let herself chilled. Just wear this..and, my body not that weak..I can bear the cold,” he put the coat back to me, “thank you for the food,” and start to eat, “what do you want to do now?, just stay quiet like that?,” he asked me.

“I don’t know what to do..,” he give me the food, “because today is the last day I give you lunch box..with a dessert..eat that latter. Just eat fast, so we can enter the building,” I keep my body warm, he staring at me while eating, “look at your food, not me..”

“Okay..did you always naging at me back then too?,” he asked, and then smiling. Before I give him the answer, my phone rang..it’s from PD, “Okay..I’ll go there,” and end the call, “I must go now..there is some bussines that I must take care.I think..I’ve failed on this plan..so I want to try another plan..before that I’ll ask you. Did you bothered by what I’ve done to you?.” “Honestly, for the first I feel bothered, but as I said before, day by day I get comfortable around you.”

“So, after this, I'll go with my second plan, if you still can’t remember me after that, then I’ll give up. Because from today I can’t meet you like before, I’ll give you my number..” I wrote my number and give to him, “call me if you still want to try to remember about me and our past.” He smiled to me, “honestly, the reason I tried so hard to make you remember about the past is not just because I want you remember about me..it’s because of my brother too..because you saw tha tragic day too.. But, I won’t force you, just do what you want to do..” I take my bag, “call me if you want me to continue or throw away that paper if you don’t want me to continue..” I smiled to him and he just look at me blankly.

 This is what I want to do, although I feel happy to meet him..if he still can’t remember me..then I can’t force him..

You came to me and gave me warmth in the winter, But then..you left me when winter end… You came again in another winter, but I can’t hold your hand like before, so it’s hurt. Don’t come to me in another winter, Just come to me in another season.. so I won’t feel too cold when you left me like before..