Chapter 2: That Winter

THE SUN

First snow at 2008:

Ahyoung come out from one of library in Seoul with red scarf and grey glove. She standing next to a boy, he didn’t wear scarf nor glove in this cold weather, suddenly he got nosebleed, Ahyoung get closer to him and suddenly wipe his nosebleed with tissue, make he shocked,

“What are you doing?,” he said while avoid Ahyoung’s tissue.

“Sorry, I coludn’t stay quiet when I know someone like this, come here, I’ll wipe your nosebleed,” suddenly he pull his hand and then wipe his nosebleed.

“I don’t know who are you, you don’t who I am..why you did this?,” he asked.

“Don’t you heard, I just said that I can’t stay quiet when I see someone like this,” she pull of her scarf from her neck, “you should wear something like this, so you’ll get warm. Do you understand, Hong Jonghyun-ssi?,” he wonder, how can she know about that name when he didn’t something about that, “I know your name from your name tag,” she point out the name tag, “just wear that scarf first, tomorrow I’ll come to this library again, you can give me back tomorrow,” and then she leave him who still in confused.

Someone followed her from behind, she feel it, but when she encourage to turn her head, there isn’t a person behind her, she get scared, so she speed up her walk and occasionally looking back,because of that she fall on her own feet, she screamed in pain, someone run to her but she try to walk because she afraid that the person is the one who followed her all this time,

“I’ll help you, I’m the one who get nosebleed..” Ahyoung stop after hear that, and turn her head, there he is Hong Jonghyun, “you have wound on your hand,” he said an then take out something from his bag, “put this on your wound,” he gives her one of the bandaid, “and you can take it,” he gives her a little box that full of bandaids.

“You bring all of this to school?,” she asked.

“Because I easily get hurt, so I brought a lot of medicacement if I’m out of house, so I can treat myself,” Ahyoung smile after heard his explanation.

“Treat yourself?, haha. Anywhy, thank you for the bandaids..” she puts one of the bandaid on her wound.

“You can take it, now you more need it than me,” he give the scarf back to her, “thank you for help me, wanna come with me?, to that coffee shop, I’ll buy you something warm,” he asked her to come with him to taste the warm of hot chocolate.

“Why suddenly asked me to come with you?,” Ahyoung feels strange.

“For my gratitude to you,” he replied it awkwardly.

“Okay..now you can have it, you buy me something warm, give me bandaids..but the scarf that I lent to you, you give back to me, at least, let me do something to you too,” she give the scarf back to him, and then they enter the coffee shop, ”by the way, my name is Ahyoung, why you didn’t asked anything about that?.”

“AHH, I forget to ask you about that, Ahyoung-ssi,”, Ahyoung laughed after heard he called her with –ssi.

“It’s look like we are in the same age, call me comfortably, like..Ahyoung-ah,”she suggested to him.

“Okay. Ah..why you tried run when I want to help you?, ” Jonghyun asked.

“Ah..because I feel there is someone who followed me lately.” She shared her story.

“Like stalker?,” he asked, she replied it with noded, “Hmm..follow you everywhere you go?,” he asked.

“I feel that.. there is always someone behind me whereever I go, last time..when I go home late because of preparation for final exam..that day rain really hard, I run with an umbrella, it was like I’m filming a horror movie..” she drink her hot chocolate, “enough about me, what about you?, I want to hear something about you too.”

“I don’t have something to tell you, just drink it and let’s go home.”

“It’s unfair, I told you about my story. I’ll ask you then, In your school, there are only rich students, right?. Is it good to play with me, after play with your rich friends?.”

“Rich friends?I never had friend before, and I don’t know that much about Mirae high school student. But I feel nice to have my first friend,” He smile to Ahyoung.

“It’s strange, you study in that school, but you didn’t know much abot your school and your friends?. It’s good then, if you feel nice to meet me. Then I’ll go now, thank you for your treat, thank you for the bandaids, after this..we don’t have a reason to meet again right?,” she asked.

“Why?, I just said to you that you are my first friend, so I hope we’ll meet again,” she smiled to him and smiled back,

“Then tell me something about you when we meet again,”she wave her hand and leave him.

*

In Haneul High school, there is a broadcast from school radio. Ahyoung, who is originaly school radio DJ, sleep in class,

“Yah..you didn’t go to broadcasting room today?,” Minah, her seatmate asked her.

“I’m little bit dizzy, I think I had headache,” she answered.

“Go to medication room, sleep there. Wanna go with me?,” she suggested her so she can sleep comfortably, Ahyoung stand up and walk to the medication room, but when she hear something from the school radio, the DJ read the messege from the listeners, and this messege is for Ahyoung, the sender just write her initial, but Ahyoung know that the sender is the stalker, she take her phone, tried to contact the radio DJ who replaced her for today, and walking fast to the broadcasting room,

From MG:

For KAY who get rejected by her first love last month..

Are you still in pain?, or are you already find another boy?

I saw you with a boy three days ago, near the library...but, AY-ssi

I want to became your first love’s replacement, why you choosed other boy

For KAY-ssi, I request a song, Look at me by Girl’s day..

“KAY-ssi, is she our school radio DJ?. If you heard this messege, it’s from your secret admirer, and this song that requested by MG-ssi, Look at me by Girl’s day..” Ahyoung arrived at broadcasting room when the DJ already start the music..she looks tired,

“Where is he?, I already said to him that don’t read any messege if it’s for me,” she tried to looking for the sender’s email addres. MG already send this kind of messege to the school radio, but when the DJ is Ahyoung, she never read that, “he know too much about me,” she said while sit on the chair, the person who is responsible to the school radio arrived, Ahyoung get angry to him,

“Yah..Seo Kangjoon, I already said to you, right?. Why you didn’t tell new DJ about that, so she won’t read that messege,” he look shocked too.

“Sorry, I just arrived from toilet...what kind of messege that he sent to you this time?,” he asked then look at the computer screen.

“Ah...the whole school will tease me about it, I’m going crazy. Who is he?, MG?. I already looking for him in this school, the one with that initial, just two person with that initial..I already interrogated them, but I couldn’t find anything..who is he?, is it his real initial?. If he didn’t from this school, then how did he know about this school radio email?,” she started suspect that if the stalker doesn’t from her school, then he must get help from one of this school student..Minah come to the broadcasting room, she is Kangjoon’s girlfriend,

“Yah..what’s going on?, you know, the students going crazy after that messege read by the new DJ..half of them looking for you,” after Minah asked that, Ahyoung quite popular in school, because she is their favorite school radio DJ. The DJ close the broadcast and come out from DJ room.

“Unni, congratulation. You have so many secret admirers,” the new DJ said, she look at Ahyoung, “what’s going on, unni?,” she know that Ahyoung is angry.

“Just close your mouth,” Ahyoung replied it angrily and leave the broadcast room.

“She is not in good mood, sorry if her words too harsh,” Minah tried to calm the new DJ, “Joon-ah, I leave first, let’s meet after school,” she said then leave the broadcasting room, she looking for her friend. She looking for her in the class, but she isn’t there, she tried to look for her in medication room, there she is, sleep in one of bed that there in medication room.

“Who is he?, why me?, did we meet before?,” she asked all that questions to herself.

The school is over, Ahyoung standing in school gate look like waiting for someone, when she saw the someone that she waiting for, she run to him while giving him sign that he just wait for her there,

“Let’s go.” They meet again at library yesterday, but didn’t talk anything because Ahyoung must go home to delivery her oppa who is working in a mental hospital his lunch box, Ahyoung gave him her phone number and they promised that they will meet today after school, “tonight will be there a fireworks show at Han river, wanna go there?,” she asked Jonghyun, he jsut noded as his reply.

“But..you didn’t study for collage entrance exam?, it get closer..” he asked.

“What about you?, I wan to rest for this day, something bad happen today,” she suddenly want to tell him about her day.

“Why?, something bad happen?.”

“Before I told you that you must tell me something about you when we meet again..then we can became friend..” he just smiled to her.

“Actually, I’m from rich familly,” for Ahyoung it’s not secret, she know it from what he wear, it’s an expensive bag, shoes, and don’t forget that he’s from Mirae high school.

“Yah..wanna get hit?, tell me another thing.”

“Actually, there is always someone who followed me everytime I come out from house, a bodyguard.” Ahyoung turn her head, try to looking for his bodyguard, there is a scarry looking man who is standing not far from them, he give her a bow, “because I have weak boy and easily get hurt..my father worried about it..so he must accompany me everytime.” Ahyoung smile after his explanation,

“Wah..definetly..a rich family. Okay, because I know something about you, I’ll tell you..what’s going on today..because we now became friend..,” they make a promise that they are friend now. Jonghyun looks happy because he got friend, “I’m school radio DJ, but for today broadcast I couldn’t do it because of some reason, so there is someone who replaced me,” it’s not that shocking that she’s a DJ, her way to talk..show it, “the new DJ didn’t know about something..that there is messege that should be avoided, but today, she read that messege so the whole school know.”

“Is that messege for you?. What is she/he said in that messege?,” he become curious.

“Hmm..the contain of the messege is word that makes me angry, he knows many thing about me..from the little tiny thing..until..the big thing..how long he followed me?. ” And eat her ddobbuki.

“He know a lot of thing about you?, how did you know?.”

“Because he often sent messege to my school radio, I read those messege but not broadcast it. He know my addres, even my love story, he knows all about me..”.

“The sender is that stalker?,” he asked and she just take a deep sigh.

They talk a lot, but it’s more to Ahyoung side, she talk more often than him, when Ahyoung tell him that he should say something too, about his school life, about his family, but his reply.. “I didn’t have something to say.” And then go to Han river to see fireworks show.

After that day, they often meet up, she meet him more often than she meet her brother, it help her a lot to forget about her feeling and his rejection. Jonghyun often drive her home with his car and his bodyguard, if they play until late. And today, it’s new year eve, once again, her mom order her to deliver her oppa lunch and make sure that he’ll come at family’s dinner tonight. She goes to her oppa’s work place, a mental Hospital in Kangnam, when she asked to the nurses, their answer are always same, everytime she came her oppa never want to meet her, it has been two months he did this, avoid her. He deliberately come home late night when she already sleep, and goes to work when she still sleep in her bedroom.

“I want to see him, where is his console room?,” she aksed to the nurse, she didn’t tell her, “he won’t kill you if you tell me, where is his console room?, it’s because..there is something that I want to say to him. Thiat loser..” and at the end, she let her know where Wooshik’s console room, now Ahyoung in front of that room, without knocking, she enter his console room, he look surprised and little bit angry, there isn’t patient that time, “why?, are you angry?. Sorry that I ask this, how old are you?, why are you doing childish thing like this?,” she asked while put his lunch box on his table.

“Yah..where is your manner?. You talk to someone who is older than you, and this is my work place.”

“You know that you older than me, but do yo know that you are more childish than me?..after I confessed my feeling to you and you rejected it, never once..you call my name or talk to me, you really avoid me. And then suddenly, you brought your girlfriend home and introduce her to our parent. I know that you already break up with her two years ago, why you brought her home?, you tried to kick me out of your heart by showing that you have girlfriend,” he just looking at her who talk well.

“You talked really well, I heard all of it, just go now.” He kicked her out.

“It’s not the end, there are many thing that I want to talk to you. You tried to kick me out once again, because brought your ex-girlfriend home didn’t enough to make me step back. You tried to kicked me out by talking bad to me, said a lot of harsh think to me, say that you don’t like a girl who can’t do well on her study, don’t like a childish girl, don’t like girl who talk too much. Now, I’m already quiet, I’m quiet to love you, I won’t make you try hard to kick me out from your heart. Should I say that I already have someone who is really make me comfortable..?, so don’t try to avoid me, and come to family’s dinner tonight. Don’t became a loser, Kim Wooshik-ssi,” and she leave his console room, when she leave the console room, a patient waiting in front of his console room, he wear jacket with and a black hat, he looks at her once but she ignore it,

“Ah…I feel relieved after said it..Kim Wooshik..if you really not come tonight..you are really a loser..” she enter one of the convenience store, and buy a drink..

It’s not the first time he avoid her, when her mother and his father decide to marry 18 years ago. It’s still fresh in her mind how he strongly pushed her until she fall in stairs just because she tried to get close to him, after that she who still in pain already forgive her but he doesn’t want to see her, don’t know is it because guility or he became more hate her.

Ahyoung and her family have a family dinner, Wooshik come..with someone, her ex-girlfriend, Park Soojin,

“He still bring her?,” Ahyoung said in soft voice, but her mom heard that.

“He called mom, and said he’ll come. So mom said to him that he must come with Soojin..” Ahyoung look angry when she know that the one who asked her oppa to bring his ex girlfriend to family dinner is her mom.

“She is his ex girlfriend, not his girlfriend, don’t expect them too much.” Her mother hit her hand hard, “ah..mom, it’s hurt. I speak the truth..”. when they just start eating, Ahyoung start the talk again, “It’s too quiet,” she protested, her mom glaring at her, “ah, I think I’ll come home late tonight, because I want to see new year concert with my friend after this..”

“Who is your friend?Minah..Kangjoon?,” her father asked.

“My friend not just those two, I have a lot of friend..Don’t worry, my friend is really a good person,” she said that so her parent won’t worry about her.

“Okay, because lately you study hard for collage entrance exam, I’ll let you go,” her father said.

“Thank you,” and she smile to him.

A car waiting for her, not far from the restaurant, her parent already go home, her oppa still with his ex girlfriend.

Annyonghaseyoo..” She greet Jonghyun’s bodyguard, he reply it with a stiff smile, “yah..are you kidding me?, you said that it’s your first time to go to new year concert?,” she asked to Jonghyun, and he just smile, “did you live in a cave?, wah..you lied to me right that you are from rich family?,” she asked.

“The car that you are in now, it’s my car..and the one who drive us there is my bodyguard, isn’t that enough?,” he reply her joke, from time to time his way of talk got better.

They arrived at new years concert, his bodyguard follow them from behind,

“It’s a little bit uncomfortable, knowing someone follow us from behind, like a stalker.” Ahyoung said.

“But..he better than stalker. You know him, I know him, and he know us.” Jonghyun replied and smile to her.

it’s already 8 PM, so the concert already start an hours ago, but it’s okay, they already bought the ticket, “Why you bring that big bag?,” she asked to Jonghyun.

“The thing inside this bag are for me..but there is something to you,” he take out something from his bag, “for you who didn’t wear warm cloth in this winter,” a knitting scarf, Ahyoung look surprised, but happy at the same time, “I made this for you,” he said, “for my special friend..” he put the scarf around her neck.

“You made this?, a boy knitted a scarf? wah, you must not really busy, since you make this in short time..” Ahyoung touched the white scarf.

“I knitted this not in a short time..I start three weeks ago..” he replied.

“Wah..I must be really special to you, right?, you knitted a scarf for me, although we just know each other in short time..” Ahyoung look happy.

“We know each other in short time, but talk like we know each other long time,” he said. The real reason I give it to you is because you are my first friend, after my brother.

They enjoyed the concert and at the end when the fireworks lit, suddenly Ahyoung hug him, Jonghyun look shocked when she did it, but he hug her back,

“Lets’ spent 2009 happilly, ” she whispered to him, he just smile.

Someone keep watching them from a far.

 

“The days I spent with you are my precious days, thank you..

You let me know a lot of things, you gain me strength, and

You give me a reason to live again…”  

 

Sorry, I changed the year..hehe..