The Best Argument Starter

What a Whimsical Notion

My eyes widened. Not because I was on top of a total hottie, but because Yoongi had been the one rapping, he'd been the one spitting out lyrics that sent chills through my body. I was speechless. 

"I said, GET OFF ME!" He yelled again, but all I could do was stare into his furious brown eyes. He grabbed my wrists and pried them from his shirt then sat up, causing me to sit in between his legs. "ARE YOU DEAF!?" He screeched and I finally shook myself out of my frozen state. 

"There's no need to yell!" I said raising my voice just a little over the normal pitch. 

He glared at me then realized that his legs were basically around my hips and then shot off the ground. "Why were pressed up against the door?!" He asked loudly, but not quite yelling. 

I stood up and brushed myself off and tried to think of an excuse. "I....I was...smelling the door!" I said, frowning  awkwardly. 

He was now giving me a death stare, "WHY WHERE YOU EAVESDROPPING?!" He yelled at me. 

This vexed me, I hated it when people yelled, and despised it when people were yelling four inches from my face. "YOU DON"T HAVE TO YELL!" I screamed. 

This just made him bubble with more anger, "YOU STUPID GIRL! WHY ARE YOU FOLLOWIN-!" But I cut him off. 

"FOR YOUR INFORMATION I WAS LOOKING FOR YOU SO I COULD SAY SORRY FOR WHAT HAPPENED AT LUNCH!" I said poking his chest forcefully. 

"WELL I GUESS YOUR MOTHER DIDN'T TEACH YOU HOW TO APOLOGIZE, BECAUSE FALLING ON THEM ISN'T THE WAY TO DO IT!" He wailed. 

I was so mad right now I could have chopped his head off and used it to play kickball. I could feel something wet and warm on my face, "DON'T YOU EVER SAY ANYTHING ABOUT MY MOTHER AGAIN YOU !" My voice cracked and I suddenly realized that I was crying, my knees became shaky and I couldn't hold up my own weight. I started to breath heavy and I felt dizzy. I fell to the floor, buried my face in my hands, and cried. The mentioning of her was too much for me handle, I tried to stop, I didn't want anyone to see  me like this, let alone Yoongi. Then I felt an arm go over my shoulders, it wasn't a big gesture, but it was something. And for some reason the warmth of Yoongi next to me made me feel better, more relaxed. I started to breath normally again though my hot tears still ran down my face; I strangely felt protected. I moved my hands away from my face and closed my eyes leaning into him. But apparently that wasn't the right decision. He flinched and moved away slightly pulling his arm away from my shoulders, I sat straight again and wiped my eyes.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to...to," I felt my chest tighten and I tired to smile, I sighed "...I lost my mom four years ago. I didn't mean to cry like that, I'm sorry." I was surprised with myself, I couldn't believe I had just told him...but at the same time, he probably could of guessed. 

I glanced up at him, he was staring at me as though he were afraid of me or sad for me but then he blinked a couple times and spoke. "No, it wasn't your fault. I understand that, that sort of thing happens sometimes..." It was obvious that he didn't want to have this conversation so I changed the subject. 

I looked away and glanced at my hands still wet from tears, "Anyway....I am sorry about earlier. I never meant to offend you. I was just interested." I said softly, and looked back into his eyes (which I found to be very distracting), "Can you forgive me?" I asked. He looked at the clock on the wall and then stood up. 

"Lunch has been over for two minutes, we'll be late." He said and stretched his arm out to help me up. I took it, but was very confused to why he didn't answer me. 

We walked together in silence and soon we reached my locker. "Thanks for helping me get back..." I said and he nodded then turned to walk away. "Hey Yoongi!" I called after him, and he stopped but didn't turn around. "Don't...tell Hoseok or anyone of the guys about this, okay?" 

"I wouldn't have anyway," was all he said and continued to walk away. I watched him and thought that his stride was very different from anyone I've met before. He seemed confident but not cocky, and walked with a certain rhythm- "You shouldn't stare." He said as he turned the corner. I blushed and quickly gathered my things for my next class. 

 


It was a good thing I was new so I had a good excuse for being late. The teacher didn't seem happy, but didn't seem too mad either.  

 During the day I found out that Namjoon  was in my calculus class but other than that, the rest of the school day was a complete blur.  I couldn't stop thinking about how I embarrassed myself in front of Yoongi, on the first day! I didn't want believe that I broke down in front of him. I hoped that I would never see his gorgeous face again, but I knew that was unrealistic. At the end of the day I texted Jolene that I had to stay after to talk to a teacher. 

Me: Joe, I have to stay after, will you be okay getting on the bus on our own?

Joey: I guess...but how will you get home?

Me: I'll be fine. See ya later, Bye!!

Joey:  Okay, be safe. Bye luv ya!

I walked to the office with Mrs. Porter's note in my hands and knocked on the door. 

"Come in!" Said a high pitched voice.  I grasped the cold, metal handle and opened the door.  A small old woman was sitting in a very large chair, with a very large desk covered by many mounds of paper.  She looked up at me through her thick lenses and smiled, producing deep creases at the corners of her eyes.  "Hello dear, can I help you?" She asked. 

I nodded, "Yes, actually I have a note..." I said holding up my slip of paper.  "Mrs. Porter told me to get a schedule change for a an accelerated class."

She beamed, "Of course! Please sit." She said pointing to the seat in front her desk.  "What's your name dear? I'm afraid I haven't met you yet, and since this is a small school that usually doesn't happen." She folded her hands together looking at me waiting for my answer.

I smiled at her, "I'm Jennifer Khent-" 

"Ahhh! The newest member to our school! I'm sorry we haven't had the chance to meet.  I'm Mrs. Mavin!" She paused, and after a few seconds continued. "You have some of the best grades I've ever seen Miss Khent!" 

I once again gave her a shy, grateful smile but couldn't help be drawn to another, more stressful topic. "Not as good asYoongi's Im sure..." I mumbled a bit too loud. 

Her face lit up, "Yoongi? You've already met him? Lucky girl you are!" She said almost sarcastically. 

I scoffed, "Yeah, lucky me." Then she made this sort of goat sound, it didn't hit me that she could be  laughing until she said 'that was funny' under breath.  

"Well, let me get you into that class, may I see your note?" She stretched her arm out and I gave her the piece of paper.  She turned to her computer and typed for a few minutes then turned back to me. "You're all set! You will get your new schedule tomorrow morning from your homeroom teacher."

"Thank you!" I said standing up. 

"Oh it just hit me the buses are all gone do you-" She was interrupted by someone entering the room. 

"Grandma I was- oh sorry I'll come back later." The man who opened the door was yet another asian. But he looked older than me, not by much, he had very wide shoulders and brown hair. 

"Jin!" Mrs. Mavin basically screeched. "You came at just the right moment!" She said standing up and walking over to me. I glanced at the man at the door and he had a look of alarm across his face. "This girl is my newest student! And it just so happens that she doesn't have a ride!" 

"I can just-" I started but Mrs. Mavin continued.

"Would you do your old grandmother a favor?" She paused and waited for answer. 

"I was actually-" Jin began.

"Thank you honey!" She turned to me, "I'm so blessed to have such a polite grandson!" She said and shuffled back over to her desk. "Please get her home safely Jin!" She said. 

I didn't know what to say or do so I just stood there looking at my feet.

 I heard him sigh, "Come on." I looked up and saw him open the door for me to exit, I awkwardly nodded in thanks as I slipped out of the room.

"Goodbye Jen!" Mrs. Mavin yelled as Jin shut the door. 

I looked up him and he stuck out his hand, "I'm Jin. You are...Jen?" I nodded as we shook hands. 

"You know, I can walk you don't need to take me home." I said as we started to head for the lobby. 

He shook his head slightly, "No, if I let you walk she would somehow know and I'm not brave enough to find out what she'd do to me.  I heard too many stories of my mother's childhood..." He shivered and I laughed.  "She might seem really nice, but you don't know what I know."

I smiled, I was really lucky to meet all the kind people I did today. "I believe you." I paused and thought whether not to ask but then thought What the heck! Why not?  "Do you perhaps know someone by the name of Hoseok?" I asked not really thinking that he did but thought about when Hoseok and Jimin told me all Taehyung's friends and I thought I recalled a Jin among the list.

I looked up at him and saw him look shocked, "As a matter of fact I do! How did you meet him?" He asked as we went through the doors that lead to the parking lot.

 I was just as shocked as him. "He was in my social studies class! That was why I was talking with Mrs. Mavin; to get a schedule change for an accelerated course." I replied as he lead me to his car. He opened the passenger side door for me to get in, then quickly went to the other side and entered. 

"Speaking of accelerated classes, if you met Hoseok did you by any chance meet-"

 I stopped him before he could finish.  "Yoongi? Yeah, I've met him." I said dejectedly.  

"You really have, haven't you?!" He said chuckling slightly. "What did he do?" He asked. 

I thought about his question. Yoongi didn't really offend me...well kind of, but I fell on him and called him an ...I was eavesdropping on him...I  broke down in front him...Made him late for class...And he caught me staring at him...

"Yoongi was in my English class and after we had this kind of vocab battle he thought I let him win and called me a coward." I answered, not wanting to tell a total stranger all about my mom. 

He smiled while shaking his head, "Sounds like him. He needs to learn basic manners." he said as an after thought. He took in a deep breath and sighed. "So, what's your address?" He asked kind of awkwardly. 

"67 Wood Drive." I replied as he started the engine. 

It didn't take long to get to my house, and by the end of the car ride I learned that his favorite color was pink, he was 20, his real name was Seokjin, and he had a strange obsession with eating; he didn't say this openly but it was very obvious. 

"Thanks Jin! See you..." I trailed off truly not knowing when I'd see him next.

"Soon!" He finished for me. I smiled at him my body bubbling up with joy. "Bye Jen!" I waved as he drove away.  

I headed up to my front porch, after his car was out of sight I entered my new living space. It didn't feel anything like a home to me, just a place where I slept and had my belongings and I didn't think it was going to feel like home any time soon. "I'm back!" I said and heard my voice echo off the walls. I heard feet coming down the steps from upstairs. Jolene came into my field of view looking curious. She started to run to me but because of the hard wood floors and her fuzzy socks she tumbled and fell on her . I giggled while she pouted and quickly came to her aid, I too ended up on the ground. Our laughter sounded through the empty house; we were leaning up against the wall and her head was on my shoulder. I could barely breathe I was laughing so hard. It wasn't even that funny, I think it was just the fact that it was my sister laughing with me that made me so happy. 

We calmed down after a few minutes and stood once again. "Anyway..." I began as we walked into the kitchen for a snack. She started asking questions the second she regained all her senses. 

"Who dropped you off? I saw from the window, it was guy! Why are guys already taking you home!? Guys never took you home before!" She said and continued to ramble on and on about my past relationships with guys, which really only consisted of all the guys who bullied me. Which also means I've never had a boyfriend or had my first kiss...I know; sad. After I explained what really happened she nodded and said, "Figures." 

"Like you've ever had guy take you home, regardless the reason!" I said in defense as I searched the refrigerator for an apple, I found one quickly. 

"Grab me one too." Said Joe.  I reached for another and shut the door, then tossed it to her. She caught it and bit into the apple, then gestured for me to follow her. She lead me up stairs and into her room. "You know  I've been working on that one story?" She asked as she sat on her bed and opened her laptop. 

"Yeah. The one about the girl being able to go back in time?" I asked sitting next to her as she opened up a Microsoft word document labeled 'Regrets'. I got the smarts from my dad and she got the amazing ability to create stories of love, mystery, friendship, and adventure like my mom. I've always been jealous of her talent but then I think about how she's the only thing I have left of my mother and that  I get to be the first person to read her books, and that makes me feel better. 

"Yeah, that one...I was thinking about how I made Megan meet James and thought it would be better if they met each other at Mark's funeral thirty years in the future...What do you think?" She asked. 

"I'll go with whatever you want Joe-Joe! " I replied with but knew she hated it when I said that. 

"No, really! Should they meet there or when Mark tries to kill Alex?" She asked now looking at me.

 I thought about it, and then answered truthfully. "I think you should keep it and have them meet while Mark is trying to kill Alex." 

"Yeah! I wasn't sure I just got an idea after talking to Taehyung at lunch." She paused for a couple of seconds and started to type but then paused again and turned to me with a smirk on her face. "Is it just me or is Taehyung super hot!?" She asked me. 

I smiled, "I mean he's okay but I've seen way hotter!" I answered thinking about Yoongi. 

She thought for a minute as if going through a list of guys in her head. "I don't think I've seen anyone hotter than Taehyung so far..." She decided. 

"I have!" I cooed. 

"Yeah! Who?" She asked raising her eyebrows. 

"His name's Yoongi..." I trailed off dreamily. But then thought about how mean he was and cringed, "But he's a jerk." I said sighing in defeat, "You win, Taehyung is good looking, funny, and nice...but he's younger!" I said, but then realized she was the same age as him. 

"Not for me!" She said in victory.  

I chuckled slightly, thinking about the boys we think are attractive...poor guys... 

"Anyways, so what do you think should happen after..." We continued to talk about ideas for her story and listened to music until we had to go downstairs and start dinner. 

"What should we make?" Asked Joe.

"What do we have?" I asked her looking in the pantry as she looked through refrigerator.  I pulled out bread and peanut butter, and she pulled out a jar of jam. We looked at each other for a second and then we both shrugged and set the ingredients on the counter. 

"Can you get two butter knives?" Joe asked. 

"Yup!" I replied and slid across the floor to the cabinet to retrieve the knives. Once they were within my grasp I walked over to Joe and handed her a knife and grabbed the bread and peanut butter. 

"When do you think dad will get home?" I asked her. 

"I'm sure he'll be here soon, he came home about seven yesterday." She replied as she started to spread the jam over the bread. Even though she was younger, she always seemed to be the one looking out for me.

"Your right." I said.  

"Thank you, I'm not usually right." She joked.

I smiled slightly, "Yeah, your usually wrong..." I trailed off glancing to my left to see her reaction, but she seemed to be thinking. I sighed, disappointed that my teasing went unnoticed but continued to spread the jam. 

"Hey!" She said finally realizing I insulted her. 

I giggled, "That was a late reaction!" She nudged me with her hip. I closed the jam and placed the two knives in the sink to clean later as Jolene squished the six pieces of bread into three sandwiches. 

We were standing in the kitchen looking out the window, obviously waiting for a certain someone. It got too quiet for my liking so I decided to make it...less quiet... "." I whispered as I passed her to put the peanut butter and bread away. 

She laughed sarcastically, which strangely reminded me of Mrs. Mavin. "Soooo funny! You know I think even I could come up with something better than that!" She said, and I agreed. 

But I defended my ways none the less. "What's a better way to disturb silence, uh?" I asked.

"I don't know! Maybe something like...One of those stupid jokes, you know, about the chicken crossing the road?" I stared at her for a few seconds and then we both started to laugh like dorks. We laughed until we heard the front door open and it suddenly went quiet.   

"He's home early!" Jolene said happily. We scrambled to meet him and found our dad lazily walking out of the front hall. 

When he saw us, he gave us a weak smile. "Hey girls, how was your first day?" He asked as he headed for the living room to sit down. Our dad works as a salesman, which means his schedule is crazy and he travels all over the place. It pays well but he's always so tired and always writing up countless documents, I've told him many times I could get a job and he could take up a less stressful career but he refuses. And he is suppose to be working with his co-workers, but they're slackers and my dad always ends up doing all the paperwork. I rather have him get paid less and we move back to our real home and he wouldn't be as stressed. Then I wouldn't have to tell him to stick up for himself.  

"It was actually really good! I met a lot of nice people. Plus no homework, but that's not going to last." I said as I followed him, Jolene at my heels. 

"Same here, and all my teachers are really nice as well." Joe said as she and I sat on the coach and he sat in the recliner. 

He smiled genuinely, "I'm glad to hear that." 

"Oh!" Jolene said suddenly, I turned to look at her. "We made you dinner, it wasn't much but I'll bring it and some drinks. Be right back." She dashed off to the kitchen. 

We sat in silence for minute and during that time I looked him over. He was wearing a suit, as always, but he looked exhausted, the whites of his brown eyes had turned red and there were dark lines under them. 

He did all the work again... I thought and soon I started speaking my mind. "So, how did your day go? Did they help, or did you do it all?" I asked, now in a huffy mood. 

He sighed and shook his head, "Honey, I know you might think they are taking advantage of me but I volunteer to do it. I've told you that." I could feel myself bubble up with fury at this. He's said this so many times! And everyday he comes home worse than the last. 

"Don't give me that dad! You have to say something or it won't get any better!" I said louder than I intended but continued, "I've told you multiple times I'd willingly get job so you could take a break!" I said standing up and walking towards him. He stood up as well, now looking a bit angry. 

"I've told you before, I want you to concentrate on your studies!" He said sternly, obviously trying not to start a huge argument. 

"I don't understand! I just don't understand!" I said moving my arms about,  "Why are you doing this to yourself!?" I asked bewildered. 

"Doing what?! Being a responsible parent and making sure my daughters have a roof over their heads?!" He said angrily, the vain in his forehead now bulging. "Don't tell me what's best Jennifer, I'm doing this for you and your sister!" 

I shook my head, "Stop saying that! You know I could help! You just don't want my help, you don't want my advice!"

"You know that isn't true! I don't need help Jen! I would ask if I did but I don't, so just stop this sort of talk! I'm not in the mood for an argument right now!" He said and tried to walk away, but I ran my big, fat mouth. 

"Oh!? You don't need help?! I'm sorry, I didn't know that coming home looking like you didn't sleep for a week was a good sign! Oh, and don't forget all those papers you have to write up by Wednesday! I'll just stand back and not help like a good daughter! That's what mom would want! Great job dad!" I took in a sharp breath and was about to go on when Jolene joined the conversation.

"I'm done with this!" She shouted louder than both of us. "Stop fighting over stupid things! I hate it when you do this!" She said, her hands squeezing tuffs of hair. "Do you know how hard it is to listen to you guys fight?! I can't deal with this anymore!" She yelled and stormed off to her room, our dinner forgotten. 

I looked at my dad to find his head in his hands mumbling to himself. I closed my eyes and rubbed my temples trying to think of what to do. Mom would know what to do. What to say to dad for him to actually do something. What to say  to Jolene to make her see that dad can't do it on his own. And what to say to me, to stop starting arguments and to start fixing things. "If only she was here..." I said under my breath. "I'm sorry dad I-" I started but he was already gone. "I didn't mean it..." I trailed off to myself, regretting everything. 

I slowly slid down to the ground and leaned up against the recliner, then started thinking. I miss mom...I need her...we need her.  I started to think about all the great times we had with mom. The time Jolene had her first crush in kindergarden and my mom told her to kiss him. She laughed when Jolene came home the next day and told us that she wasn't allowed to kiss Mr. Fluffy, the class rabbit. When dad was trying to explain to us where babies came from, mom stepped in and said they appear in a mommy's tummy after God decided if it was going to be a girl or a boy, dad was grateful. And when Jolene wrote her first novel (age nine), mom was so proud that she told her that one day her books would be known throughout the entire world. I said that was unlikely, but Jolene was keen about the idea. The time I got mad at a kid at school because he called me a freak and ended up going to the principal for punching him, mom told me that I should have hit him harder. But my favorite memory was when all four of us took a vacation to ia Beach. One day during our trip we stayed at the beach until dark, (about 10.00 p.m) we sat on the sand then my mom told us to look up at the sky, but because of all the lights from the hotels ands stores we couldn't see anything. Jolene asked why we were here even though we couldn't see the stars. I was wondering the same thing. She said 'I wanted to show you that just because we can't see the stars doesn't mean there are not there. I wanted to tell you that just because you might not be able to see or hear me and your father all the time, that doesn't mean we're not thinking about you or not counting the seconds until we can hold again. So whenever you feel lost, look at the sky and think about us, think about how much we love you and want you to be happy and want you to make the right decisions.' This was the last thing I vividly remember happening before she passed. 

I stood up and headed for my bedroom. When I entered it I saw that my window was already open, I smiled slightly and slipped out of it and onto the roof. "Can you see them?" I asked Jolene as I cautiously  made my way to her side and sat down. 

She shook her head. "The clouds are blocking my view." The only good thing about this house was that there was an easy access to the roof, Jolene and I used it often. 

I looked at her, guilt swelled in my gut. "Joe-Joe, I'm sorry I didn't-" 

"Don't tell me that." She said turning to me. 

I sighed, "I know...I started to think about mom..." 

She looked down at her hands, "Me too. That should give you an even better reason to apologize to dad."  She looked at me with her green eyes, she was almost a spitting image of mom, "Do it for her, and promise to stop this...I don't want to do this on a regular basis...please." She begged. 

"I will, I promise." I said, adding a small smile at the end. But she just looked away. I took that as a 'I don't want to talk to you until you say sorry gesture' and stood up then slid back into my room. I went downstairs and knocked on the door to my dad's office. I didn't here anything, but entered anyway. I found him asleep with his head on his desk and a pen in his hand. I walked in quietly and glanced down at what he was working on. The corners of my lips tugged into a small grin. He was writing me a note. It read:

          Dear Jenny, 

I'm sorry. I didn't mean half the things I said. And you were right I do need help, I can't do it all on my own. I think the reason I said was because I just don't want you to get a job, I know that it would mean your growing up and I don't you to, so please do me a favor and don't grow up. Then I don't have to worry about you leaving me. Please just focus on your studies and let me do-

He didn't get to finish, he was asleep and I didn't want to wake him. So I grabbed another piece paper and wrote him a note. It read:

        Dear Dad,

I'm also sorry, and didn't mean what I said either...other than the you need help part... it's the truth.  But I won't pester you or start arguments anymore...I have to stop; I've already promised Joe-Joe. But please dad, please see that you can't do it on your own. And please, PLEASE ask me for help. 

                                                                           Love, Jenny

I placed my note on his desk so that when he woke he would see it and then went back upstairs to tell Joe I said sorry. I went into my room and peeked my head out of the window. "I said sorry. Can you see them now?"

"Only one, but it it's bright," She replied with. I glanced outside and looked up at the sky. I saw the star, she was right, it was very bright. 

"You should come in now, it's getting cold." I said and she sighed. 

"Thank you Jen for apologizing." She said and I moved out of the way to let her in. I looked at my clock, it was 9:00 already, I couldn't believe it. She hugged me and said she was going to bed. "Night Jenny, Love  you." 

"Love you, night." I said as she left my room, shutting my door in the process. 

As I laid in bed I couldn't help thinking about the one star, deep down I had hoped my mother somehow willed the clouds away from it, just for us to see. 

 


_                                                                                                                                                                                                               

 

 

The next day after Jolene and I said our goodbyes, at the end of homeroom I went and asked my teacher for my new schedule. 

"Of course, I have it right here. Give me a moment." Said Mrs. Tape with a smile. She shuffled through some papers until she found my schedule. She handed it to me, "Here you go." 

"Thank you" I replied and left the room to find my new classroom. I wondered the halls and finally found it, I was a couple minutes late but I was sure I'd be okay. 

I opened the door slowly, trying not to disrupt the class but found the teacher was taking attendance. "Lauren Basil Jessica-oh are you Miss Khent?" She asked as I awkwardly stood there. 

"I, uh...yes! I'm Jennifer Khent. I got a schedule change..." I said feeling many pairs of eyes on me. The teacher smiled. 

"Great! Please take a seat where you'd like." She said and continued with attendance.

 I looked around the room for an open seat. I found one three desks from the front of the room, and the person in the desk next to it was none other than Yoongi. 

You have got to be kidding me...


_____________________________________________________________________________

Hope you liked the chapter! If anybody is even reading this...anyway, hope you enjoyed it! Well anyway....

 -Flora