Homecoming of New Beginnings

What a Whimsical Notion

"Oh my God! Oh my GOD! OH MY GOD!!!" Joe had screeched beside me, "Taehyung is going to be here in like ten minutes!" She was frantically pacing around her room while glancing at her appearance in the mirror and looking over her makeup. She suddenly turned to me, her yellow dress fanning out in the process. "You sure I look alright?" She asked, her green eyes wide and awaiting my reply.

I rolled my eyes as I walked up next to her and turned her so she and I were staring at our reflections in the mirror. "For the umpteenth time you look beautiful," I told her exasperated, "Just look at yourself!" This was about the tenth time she had asked me.

She bit her lip and shifted to the side, "You sure?" She more like mumbled to herself than to me.

But I answered anyway, "Yes. I am positive," I reassured her and she nodded, seeming to be more relaxed, as she found her way to her bed and sat down eagerly.

I turned my attention away from Joe and towards my own image staring back at me. The dress had fit better than I could have imagined; its fabric hugged my waist, pronounced my s and , and even managed to make me appear slightly taller than I was. I smiled gleefully at myself; I had actually felt good about how I looked. I felt confident.

That's a new feeling... I thought as I leaned closer, checking to see if my makeup somehow smudged, but of course there wasn't that much to smudge. I only applied mascara, some concealer to cover up the few unfortunate blemishes, blush across my cheekbones, and some lip-balm so my lips didn't look dry.

As I looked at myself, I began thinking about the fact that my little sister had a date, but I had no one. I sighed, allowing my posture to falter, my shoulders slouching. I wonder if I'll meet anyone there...Pff! Yeah okay, Jennifer, keep telling yourself that. Images of a certain someone flashed through my mind. I wonder how Yoongi will look—No! No, you don't. You're done with him, remember? "Remember?" I whispered to myself, my index finger sternly pointed at my reflection.

"You good, hon?" Joe asked, and my head swished around to look at her bashfully.

"Yeah, you?" I inquired, more so to draw the attention away from me talking to myself.

I saw her swallow nervously, her eyes averting mine. "I'm just worried he'll be disappointed or—"

"Stop right there," I interrupted, "If he's 'disappointed', then he's a blind ." Her gaze turned defensive at my harsh words attended towards her date. "But," I quickly added before she took my assurance the wrong way, "Taehyung isn't a blind , so you have nothing to worry about!" I told her, my hands now resting on her shoulders as I looked down at her.

"Okay," She started, a smile slowly spreading across her soft features, "You're right."

I scoffed playfully, "Of course I am! I'm always right!" I said confidently, but I was instantly reminded of the words I spoke to Yoongi earlier that day.

‘He’s right, just as always’… Ugh! I was such a jerk!

 I should apologize.

No, then I'll just look pitiful.

Wait a second, have I ever apologized to him? "Hmm don't know..." I voiced, forgetting that my hands were still on Joe's shoulders and then realized that she was looking at me with one brow raised and her forehead in a crinkle.

"You sure you're okay? You keep talking to yourself." She said with a half-smile and in a slightly 'are you crazy?' tone.

"What? Yeah, I'm fine, I'm good. Just have a lot on my mind I guess..." I trailed off, stepping away from her and glancing out the window and into the night. As I did, my father's tired features flashed through my mind.

Dad.

 "Hey, where's dad? Didn't he say that he'd be here before we left?"

Joe looked out the window as well, "Yeah, at least, that's what he told us," She stated, sounding dejected. She sighed, tearing her eyes away from the window and capturing mine. "I just want him to meet Taehyung, ya know?"

I nodded in response as anger slowly started to seep in. Where is he?! Why isn't he here?

"He said he'd be here..." She whispered out and I stepped towards her, about to take her into an embrace, but the sound of the doorbell rang through our ears before I had a chance.

"Hey," I began, attempting to lock eyes with her, but she looked down and stood up. "Don't worry about dad, he didn't do this on purpose. He works hard, and he works this much for us and—"

"I know, trust me, I know." She passed me and exited her room, then proceeded to migrate to the front door.

I quickly shook off any questions about Joe and dad before rushing down the stairs to greet Taehyung.

As I turned the corner and entered the front hall, my ears picked up Taehyung's jittery voice. "You look, y-you look—"

"Beautiful? I know, right?" I interjected, coming up to stand next to a bashful Jolene. I smiled at Taehyung and his tomato red cheeks seemed to become a lighter pink as his mouth formed a Jungkook-worthy, adorable grin.

His hand reached up to scratch the back of his neck, "Yeah, you got it dead-on," His bright eyes leaving mine and locking with his, ever so nervous, homecoming date. "She's beautiful," He breathed out, looking at Joe with a stare that made me feel a little uncomfortable.

I instinctively turned around and coughed awkwardly, "Geez...that was intense..." I whispered to myself and prayed that I hadn't ruined the moment with my presence.

"Oh, sorry..." Taehyung instantly voiced, and I could just imagine the slight color of pink that would appear across his nose and cheeks.

"Oh please, why are you apologizing?" Joe said, and I felt her hand wrap around my wrist and she pulled me to face them, "She's just a weirdo," She concluded playfully.

And I sighed, "Yeah, a werido with no one to take her to the dance...that's all she is!" I joked, showcasing a puppy-dog façade with my bottom lip jutted out childishly.

Taehyung chuckled and Joe smiled, nudging me with her elbow, "Boo-hoo, like no one is gonna notice you in that dress." She sarcastically stated, but I knew that she truly meant it and I smiled to myself.

"Yeah, I gotta say," Tae began, looking me over, but of course, with no alternate motivate in his eyes. "You clean up nice there Jenny."

I winked at him, making note of his fancy suit and funky striped tie, "You don't look too bad yourself."

"Okay, that's enough flirting," Joe had started, stopping the conversation. "Just take us to the school okay?" She put her hands on his chest and pushed him out of the doorway and onto the porch.

"Whoa, wait, hold on a sec," He began, fixing his tie. "Don't I have to meet your parents?" He asked with a puzzled gaze and with Joe's disappointed expression, his face instantly flamed up. "Or-or is it too fast? Right, I—uh—"

"Parent," I corrected softly, realizing how much the word ‘parents’ actually stung.

"What?" He tilted his head, his eyes locking with mine.

I cleared my throat, "I said parent. It's parent not parents." Straying from his gaze, I turned around to lock up the door so I could occupy myself.

"Our mom passed away a few years back, it's just us and our dad," Jolene explained, her voice more steady than I could have ever managed.

"Oh, oh I'm so sorry I—" he began but I quickly cut him off.

"It's fine. Don't worry about it, we should have told you sooner." I didn't want to hear anymore pity.

He stared at us, looking at us with eyes that expressed grief. I slapped a fake smile on my face, catching sight of Joe's frowning lips. "Well, let's get a move on, shall we?" I questioned, looking between Joe and Taehyung, and continuing down the porch steps.

"Right, of course," Taehyung said, "After you my lady," I heard Taehyung playfully say to Joe behind me as I made my way towards Taehyung's pick-up truck.

After we were settled nicely in his truck, Taehyung spoke. "Oh! Right! I was supposed to tell you the plan because earlier you—well you know..." He trailed off awkwardly, seeming to be questioning his words.

"Yeah..." I breathed, feeling even more stressed and emotional about how I had treated Yoongi.

"Yeah..." He repeated, backing out of our driveway.

"Am I missing something?" Joe inquired from the passenger seat.

"It's nothing." I reassured, glancing out the window, wanting to be walking to the dance by myself.

"You sure?" She began, but Taehyung gave no room for me to answer.

"Well anyway, listen up!" Taehyung interjected loudly, "You must listen closely."

I bit my lip in worry as I found Taehyung's evil smirk reflecting in the front mirror.

YOONGI'S POV

Holy there's a lot people here...do we really have that many students? I thought as I casually strolled into the gymnasium, the music blasting in my ears and the bass pounding so loud I felt the vibrations throughout my body. I instinctively let out a relaxed breath; just being engulfed by music calmed me, making me feel secure, hidden even.

I looked about me, taking in the many different colors, flashing lights, and fabrics compacted into the vast throngs of people dancing to the DJ's mix. I strained my eyes trying to identify a tall figure that I thought resembled Namjoon, inching closer, I found that my prediction was incorrect and it was, in fact, that weird Chanyeol guy.

I rolled my eyes at the sight of him dancing with a girl, remembering how earlier that day it was pretty obvious that he was going to ask the freak to come with him. What a prick....good thing I had dragged Jen aw—wait...what? I ran my hands over my face in frustration, "Who the hell cares about that freak...?" I mumbled to myself, ridding anymore questions that would screw with my thoughts.

"You alright, man?" I heard a tenor voice inquire beside me.

I glanced to my right, my eyes meeting with Jimin's. He smiled gleefully at me and I nodded in greeting, what was he so happy about? "Yeah, I'm fine," I said, and was about to ask him about why he was grinning like the Cheshire Cat, but I was temporarily distracted as I saw a familiar outline along with the sound of an obnoxious laugh pass by me.

"Okay, okay, I'll go to my spot! But you better hurry to yours too, Tae." The girl voiced, pushing Taehyung playfully away and into the crowd. But she remained where she was, and because of that, I could forgive the skin ship she shared with my bizarre friend, for from where I stood and where she stood, I could stare at her, take in her appearance, let my eyes continue to gloss over her.

She was wearing a tight fitting dress, the cloth clinging to her in all the right places, her long hair tumbling down her back. I bit my lip unknowingly as my eyes found her coveted curves, I could just imagine what her would feel like under my fingers, and how hot it would be for her s to be pressed tightly up against me. My hands balled into fists, a shiver crawling down my spine as more forbidden scenarios played out in my mind.

"Is that..." I began to myself, not meaning to speak and not meaning for Jimin to hear.

"Jen? Yeah, that's her," Jimin confirmed, and I barely noticed how his arm rested on my shoulder as my eyes were glued to her curvature. Jimin whistled, "What I wouldn't give to have a taste of—" He began hungrily, but I cut him off with a quick swish of my elbow into his gut, causing him to cough in displeasure. He tumbled slightly, removing his arm from me. "What was that for?" He complained, hugging his stomach while expressing a childish pout, concealing his erted nature.

I just grimaced; he wasn't in any place to be saying things like that. Not that I was in a place to think them either, but I decided to ignore the social regulations that should have prevented me from doing so. "You’re so disgusting; stop eye-ing her already," I grumbled angrily, glaring at him.

He looked offended and pointed a finger at me accusingly, "Like you weren't! You couldn't take your eyes—"

"Shut up!" I hissed, my attention now set on Jimin and all his glory, "Don't you have somewhere to be? Or have you already forgotten about Jungkook?" I questioned, changing the subject, knowing that it wouldn't have ended in my favor.

"You know, I would never actually try anything with her!" Jimin continued to explain, "Knowing how she really is, it would be weird..." He trailed off slightly bashful, "Plus," he added, "She's my friend," He concluded calmly and nodded to both himself and me.

I crossed my arms, studying his features, trying to see if I found any signs of false truth in his words, but came up empty handed; making me feel strangely stressed. He truthfully didn't want to get in her pants, or, should I say, under her skirt.

"And no, I didn't forget about Jungkook, so I have to go now. I can't help sneak in our friend,"—he put emphasis in the word 'our', as if I had forgotten that Jungkook was my friend too—"from here." He finished, and with a pat on my back and one more smile, Jimin had disappeared among the many students.

I had glanced to the spot where Jen stood, but she was gone and I sighed, thinking about what Jimin had said. 'I would never actually try anything...she's my friend.' I rubbed my eyes in annoyance, God damn you, Jimin... I thought, trying to get off this topic for I knew that if it came down to it, I wouldn't be able to resist.

But it won't come down to that, I told myself, shaking my head and running my fingers through my hair, Shut the up and snap back to reality.

By then, I knew that Jen wasn't just this crazy kind girl who just happened to be an academic genius and have a thing for rap music; she was a dream. Someone that was intentionally shoved into my life to taunt me, just to further emphasize the fact that I wanted things I couldn't have, and according to 'God', or whoever controls what the happens, I wasn't allowed anything much of what I wanted.

I never really wanted friends, I never wanted drama or praise for things I did; all I ever really wanted was music. As long as I had my music, I would be able to overlook things that might happen in my life and get through things that have happened. But lately, my music hadn't been enough, and that scared the hell out of me.

It was only until I shared my new song, Falling Forever, with Jen did I feel sincerely okay. And for a couple minutes, you could say that I was happy.

But then, situations happen between us, like earlier that day, when things didn't go smoothly and she got under my skin or I got under hers; but the difference was, I had done it on purpose. I did it because I was afraid of so many things. I was afraid of becoming too attached, afraid of hurting someone, afraid of hurting myself.

But even if there was a chance that we could have been something more than potential friends, I wasn’t sure if things between Hoseok and I could have ever been the same. I saw the way he looked her, the way he talked to her, the way he completely filled with joy with her by his side. I wasn’t sure if I could live with knowing that I took that away from him.

So I had rather watched from afar, just as I always had done, and by doing that, I thought, everything would be fine, but the truth was, everything wasn't fine.

"Excuse me," Someone mumbled, bringing my thoughts to a halt as they squeezed between me and another being to my right.

Waving all thought from my mind, I had set off to fulfill my portion of the plan to get Jungkook inside.

 Don't worry about finding the others, I planned it so we all ended in the same spot, Jungkook safely smuggled.

Hoseok's voice rang in my head as my feet began to carry me towards my destination; a chair.

Hoseok didn't give me anything to do, I was the ending point. After Hoseok had told me what it was I was meant to do, I zoned out, not really caring to listen in on the others' parts. There was no need for me to do anything, and I was perfectly fine with sitting at a table in the cafeteria where all the food and drinks were laid out.

I entered the cafeteria and scanned the room, looking for the table near the rear exit that led straight into the hall to the gym. When my eyes found it, they focused on another being already occupying it. I began walking towards it, preparing myself to make the girl move, but when she looked up and her green eyes locked with mine, I recognized her as Jen's sister, Jolene.

Great...I thought, This is going to be awkward. I mentally damned Hoseok to hell as I slid into a chair two seats away from her.

She looked up at the clock on the wall, her eyes seeming to being willing time to go faster. I wanted to scoff, not like I wanted to be stuck with her either. But then she shifted her gaze to me and shot me a bashful grin, her cheeks turning a deep scarlet. "Hi..." She breathed, her eyes locking and unlocking with mine. She seemed so happy and sincere, looking at me as though I was an old friend.

It occurred to me that we never had talked directly before and I only just realized how much more mature and calm she was compared to her sister. Is she older? No, she’s a junior. "Hey," I said, feeling strangely calm in her presence, there was something about her that seemed to make me stray from my usual feeling of repulsion. I couldn’t seem to find a reason why I shouldn’t be nice to her.

She seemed to relax slightly. What? I questioned in my head, did she think I would just ignore her?

"So you got stuck here too?" She asked, attempting to spark a conversation as she fiddled with something inside her surprisingly large bag. I could have sworn I saw a pen.

I only shrugged, "Guess I rather be here than prancing around with those dorks," I voiced truthfully, surprising myself with how long of response that was.

She nodded slowly with a small smile, "I guess so..."

It was awkwardly silent for minute before she spoke once more. "So..." She began, her eyes still glued to whatever was inside her bag. "I heard that you write and compose songs. That's cool..." She trailed off.

I stiffened slightly at the mentioning of my music and hoped she didn't ask about it.

"It's nice isn't it?" She questioned, finally giving me her full attention, a small smile beginning to form on her lips.

I scrunched my eyebrows together, what was she talking about? "What?"

"Making something and being able to take pride in calling it yours. It's a nice feeling, right?" She said, explaining herself.

I hummed in thought; I guess I had never really considered the pride. Making music was more of an escape from reality than anything. "Yeah, I guess so.”

"I write too," She told me, a small spark of light growing in her eyes.

"You write songs?" I asked curious and kind of confused.

She shook her head, "No, I write books," She said her mind seeming to seep away from the cafeteria before adding something for confirmation. "Sometimes poems, but mostly books and short stories."

"An author," I breathed out, not intending she hear.

She pursed her lips and shook her head kind of distastefully, "I prefer creator," She stated, "An author sounds too official, and really, there's nothing all that official about writing." I listened as she continued to explain her opinion, and surprisingly finding interest in her view. "When you write, you create things, like plots and characters. Plots that have their own world and characters that have their own feelings and thoughts. And trust me when I say there's nothing official or professional about someone's feelings. It's kinda the same thing for song writers too..." She finished, and seeing my eyes stuck on her features, blushed. "Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to go on a rant..."

But before I was about to say it was fine, we were no longer alone and I instantly tensed at the sound of her voice. "I can't believe we weren't caught!" Jen exclaimed, "It was a good thing that Ms. Bee was the one at the back door. You guys got lucky."

As the group approached, I saw Jolene's entire demeanor brighten at the sight of Taehyung, and I had to bite back a small chuckle, because looking at Taehyung I saw that he was even more ecstatic.

As she stood and greeted him, I couldn't help but ponder her words. A creator, huh? Not bad...not bad at all.

But my bliss would end too soon, as my eyes found Jen, and my head began to fill with fantasies.

Jolene was wrong about only one thing.

There was nothing unofficial about how my heart quickened when that freak was around. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 Hi....

I'M SORRY!!!! I literally haven't updated in what feels like forever. I'm really sorry. I wish I had a good reason, but all I can think up is this excuse: WRITER'S BLOCK.

This is nowhere near the end of this chapter but I have not finished it yet and have been trying too. I've stared and stared at my computer screen trying to type, knowing what I want but not how to write it. I'll post the rest when it's done and I just really hope you'll be okay with this for a while.

I hope someone is still following the story and knows I didn't just give up.

Well anyway...

—Flora