First Day

What a Whimsical Notion

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear new readers,

I wrote the first couple chapters a while ago and I can only imagine how it must look. So please overlook mistakes and don’t stop reading because of its impurities. I can most certainly say it gets better as it goes on. 

Thanks,

Flora

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________---

You know that feeling you get when you know something bad is going to happen? That feeling was swelling up in my gut like a balloon as I walked through the foreign halls of my new high school. My father had a job transfer the summer between junior and senior year, and let me tell you: it . I had to leave the little amount of good friends I had and enter a new school my senior year I literally almost murdered my dad. But I stopped myself, remembering that he was raising two girls on his own, plus the fact that we're crazy as hell. Yes, I admit it, but if anyone says it out loud, you best believe I will pound there honest into ground! Anyway, I lost my mom when I was thirteen in a car accident, me and my younger sister, Jolene, suffered badly that year. I'd like to say I was strong, but I cried more than toddler throwing a fit and had more problems than an accelerated math exam, it's easy to say that Jolene took it slightly better but she still went through many lessons with the counselor. I always pitied my dad because I knew he missed her as much or more than we did, but he somehow managed to help us through it. So I guess you could say I was disappointed about this move, but I didn't blame him.

Walking through the relatively small school I noticed that it was different from my old one, all the students didn't look like they wanted to strangle me, yet, but it was still nice not being noticed, for now. That's what gave me a bad feeling, I was afraid I'd stand out from the rest, and they would shun me for my weirdness. Sounds ridiculous but you'd be surprised how cruel people can be, and how different others can be. 

I entered what I hoped to be my first class and looked like an owner-less puppy in the dog park, everyone was talking to someone and they sat freely, well at least that was what I assumed. So I walked cautiously to the back of the classroom and to my joy there were two empty desks next to each other, I gratefully took a seat praying no one sat by me as I examined the classroom. I guessed that this teacher paid attention to the smart kids, tried to ignore the dumb ones, and was very serious, because of the posters she had hung along the walls. I heard the faint sound of heels and the teacher entered the room dressed in black dress pants and shirt, with gray hair pulled back in a tight bun pulling back her wrinkling skin a bit, and she was dragging an asian boy by his ear as he complained about the pain. 


She let go and spoke forcefully, "Mr. Jung take a seat, I will not have your immature behavior in or around my classroom." 

"Yes, Mrs. Porter. Sorry." He said in a childish manner looking down at the ground. Snickers were heard through the room, including my own. 

"Take a seat in the back Hoseok." She growled pointing to the empty seat beside me, and my smile was wiped off my face as I felt all eyes on me; the boy walked happily towards me, setting his books down on the desk, before pulling out his chair noisily. He then turned to look at me once he himself had sat down, with an amiable smile on his face. I returned it, my heart warmed by how kind he seemed. 

"I'm Hoseok Jung, or if you're gonna go all traditional on me, like my parents, call me Jung Hoseok. And I believe you are new." He said.

I smiled, "Nice to me you Hoseok, or Jung... I'm Jennifer Khent, but you can call me Jen." 

"The pleasure is all mine, Jen." He said holding his hand over his heart and bowing his head sightly. I giggled. 

"Sorry to interrupt your conversation, but I have a class to teach." Mrs. Porter said with her hands on her hips as she leaned toward us slightly. I turned away from Hoseok and back to the old lady with a stern a voice. "Thank you. Not a very good first impression Miss Khent." I gave her a smile but she rolled her eyes and continued to teach.

The fact that I listened intently afterwards might surprise you, but, you might not believe it, I was at the top of my class the previous year and History just happened to be my favorite class. Almost every question the old hag asked about law, I raised my arm, trying to show her I care about my learning, and let me tell you, that was difficult with Hoseok making comments all throughout class; I tried my best not to hunch over and burst into fits of laughter.

Damn that boy was funny. 

At the end of class Mrs. Porter called me over and I warily made my way to her, Hoseok close at my heels; she ignored him and asked me a question. 

"What are you doing in this class? You obviously should be taking the accelerated course." 

"Oh, are you sure?" She nodded and gave me a slip of paper.

"At the end of the day, go to the office and tell them I've sent you for a schedule change, okay?" 

"Okay, thank you, very much." I said kind of awkwardly; I mean, she's telling me to change classes to a harder course, one that I'd probably end up flunking.

"No problem dear." She said smiling, "Shoo, shoo don't want to be late now." Hoseok and I rushed out the door. 

I groaned, "I don't want to go to an accelerated class!" Hoseok laughed and pointed a finger at me. 

"Look who's stupid for getting herself into an accelerated class!" I chuckled at the ludicrous comment.

I pointed my finger at him while laughing, "Look who's stupid and doesn't realize the coolest person on earth is leaving them!" We were getting queer looks as we somehow managed to walk through the halls with our shaking bodies.

He stopped laughing, "You mean you'll be leaving the coolest person on earth." And he smiled that already familiar smile. 

I scoffed punching his shoulder, "Yah, okay. If it's easier for your tiny brain to process." He gasped and I smirked up at him. 

"Well at least I don't have a tiny heart!" He croaked jokingly to which I started laughing once again. 

"I don't think so! I have a bigger heart than you!" We laughed for a minute and suddenly I realized I had to go to class.  "Oh! Can you help me find this class?" I asked pointing to the room number on my schedule. He nodded still smiling, walked me to biology, and left me with a frown at our departure. 

I stepped through the door feeling less pessimistic and back to my normal self as I roamed the room searching for my name on the sticky notes. I found my name and saw that my partner was named Taehyung Kim. 

"Wonder who you could be..." I mumbled as my eyes scanned the room when they caught a glimpse of someone coming into the classroom. He was tall, had dirty blond hair (that was more like brown with blond streaks) and plump lips. He was pretty attractive but not a ten out of ten, more like a seven point five or an eight. I hadn't realized that he sat next to me until he said something.

"I'm Taehyung." And he stuck his hand in my face hitting my nose causing me to jolt backwards, almost falling out of my chair. 

"What the-!" I said and looked back up at him rubbing my nose to find that he was smiling and still holding his hand out. I took his hand and shook it warily. 

"I'm Jen, nice to meet you." I said awkwardly. After a few more seconds of him shaking my hand while looking at me strangely, I had to stop the creepiness. "So, Taehyung-" 

"Call me V!" He said quickly.

He's a strange one...I like him

"So V-"

"Yes Jenny?" I giggled slightly. 

"I was wondering if you've-"

"What's your favorite color?"

I paused to think and then answered, "Green."

"Why?" he asked quickly.

"It's the color of trees, which represent oxygen and breathing, which in turn represents life, which is why I'm living and not gasping for air. Green is a nice color...anyway...." I trailed off, realizing that to normal people, what I had just said sounded really strange.

He smiled slightly, "Mines black and white because they're opposites and I like opposites together." He replied, to which I nodded. 

"What do you like to do?" I asked him wondering what this guy does in his free time.

"Well there are many things, but what I really like to do is turn the lights off while I'm taking a bath and pretend I'm in my mother's womb." I stared at him incredulously. "Oh, and I also-"

I held up my hands "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Do you really do that?!" I asked shocked, even though I wouldn't really be that surprised. 

He smiled and started to laugh. "You're face!" He said pointing a finger at me. I let out a sigh of relief and then smiled as I watched how his lips formed a rectangle when he laughed. 

"But really, what do you like to do?" I asked and he slowly stopped laughing. 

"I like to spend time with my six friends and......eat tomatoes." He replied happily. 

My mouth was agape, "Six friends!? H-how!?" I gestured to him with my hands. 

"What are you saying?" He asked looking confused. 

"What? Oh, nothing; forget I said anything." I replied, to which he smiled and laughed a little for no reason, but hearing his laugh made me laugh with him. 

He stopped laughing but was still smiling, "You remind me of one of my friends, his name's Hoseok." I brightened at the mentioning of him.

"Hoseok?!"

"Yeah, he's one of my good friends!" 

"I met him this morning...he is funny!" I said smiling thinking about the comment he made when Mrs. Porter said something that sounded inappropriate. "He was the first friend I made since I moved here." 

"You just moved here?" He asked and I said 'yes' as the teacher started to explain how his class runs. 

Before Taehyung and I bid our goodbyes I asked him where my next class was, which was accelerated English, and he pointed me in the right direction and asked to sit with him and the guys at lunch. I was grateful for his kindness and accepted him happily. 

I made my way to the back and took a seat in the middle row.  I glanced around the room to find that it was replete mostly with people with glasses and lots of acne. 

"Stereotypical much?"  I mumbled to myself as I fidgeted in my chair feeling out of place.  One person of the little amoubt who didn't look like a 'nerd' was an attractive boy sitting in the third seat from the front on the left side of the room. He was wearing dress pants and a dress shirt. 

"He's a looker..."  I said under my breath as I studied the right side of his face. I was interrupted by a loud voice.

"Good morning class!"  The English teacher said clasping her hands together happily.  She looked about 39 or 40 and had long brown hair in a messy ponytail, she was very pretty for her age in my opinion.  "For those of you who are new, I'm Mrs. Bee.  And since it is the first day of English, I thought of a fun way to get to know each other!  We are going to play a game! Those of you who had me last year have played this game before. I'm going to split you into two groups, and the two captains will be the ones who had the highest averages in ELA last year! "  After she said this, two students rose; one being the looker.

"Confident are we?"  She asked with a smirk on her face and she glanced at the other kid, "Sit down James, someone has beaten you other than Yoongi." The boy looked shocked.

"But I had a 99!"  He whined sitting down.  Then Mrs. Bee locked eyes with me.

"The new student, Miss Khent, I believe." I nodded and she continued as I tried to ignore everyone's eyes,  but the looker didn't seem interested. "She received a 99.9 last year, not only that but she attended one of the top ten school districts in the country." I was blushing and wondering how the hell she knew all that!  "Am I right?"  She asked. 

I swallowed before I spoke, "Yes you are correct."  I said and gasped we're heard and I scanned all their shocked faces, and noticed the looker now staring like everyone else and I saw his dark brown eyes spark with... interest(?), to which I looked back to Mrs. Bee with a small smirk across my features.  

"Miss Khent would you be the caption for one of the teams?"  She asked nicely. 

I sighed and nodded, "If I have to, sure."  She clasped her hands together once again.

"Oh, I like you already dear! Please stand over here."  She gestured to her left hand side, I stood up and walked to her; as did the looker.  "Okay!  There are twenty eight students including the captions, so...thirteen of you with Jen and thirteen of you with Yoongi."  

"Please, Miss Bee, Mr. Min."  The looker said and I used this as my chance to really look at him. 

Wow... I thought.  He had jet-black hair and pale skin (it would make someone else look near see-through but looked totally hot on him), he wasn't that much taller than me, maybe an inch or two, and had dark brown (almost black) perfectly slanted eyes. He had a serious expression across his features and eyes that seemed to bore into my soul. I realized he was looking at me and quickly turned away before I started to drool.  After the kids were divided Miss Bee said that the captains are going to be the spokesperson.  She handed us each a button that rested on the desk in front of us.

"I have the questions on the over-head,"  Miss Bee began from the teacher desk looking at her computer screen, "we will start with some vocab...and as always ladies first."  She smiled at me and I shot her one back hoping no one could here the pounding in my chest.  I don't do being the center of attention...  

"Uh..lets start easy, A for 200."  I replied and she clicked from her seat then the word popped up onto the screen; wanton.  I searched my brain and pressed the button as fast I could as giggles sounded off throughout the room. But Yoongi hit it first, I scowled not intending that he see but he did and smirked my way. 

"So close Jen, next time.  Anyway, Yoongi?" 

"The definition is: immodest and immoral." He said, pride obviously threading into his voice.

"Good job! And if your wondering no, these words don't come from the novels we read. It's just some tricky vocabulary I picked out..."  We continued the game and we were tied, with two words left.

"C 400."  Yoongi said, I prepared myself and thankfully the word was; williwaw. I quickly reacted and pressed the button.  

"Jen?" Asked Miss Bee.

"The definition  is, a sudden gust of wind; a squall."

"Ding! Ding! Ding!" Miss Bee replied, and I smiled at her child like personality that made me think of my mother. I glanced at Yoongi and saw him already looking at me, he looked away quickly and I smirked feeling proud of myself. "The last one for 500 points! Whoever gets this wins!"

What happened next happened so fast...The word whimsical showed up on the screen, I knew what it was and I was about to press the button but I glanced at Yoongi and once again saw him looking at me and I got distracted, he pressed his hand to the button. 

"The definition is, fanciful notions...." He said slowly but still with confidence. 

"Correct! Great job!" Miss Bee stood up from her computer to walk towards us. "You did a great job Jen! I didn't think it would be so close-" The bell rang and Miss Bee waved as everyone gathered their supplies and filed out of the room, but I was still checking over my schedule. When I figured out where I was to go, I headed for the door, but right before my exit I heard a voice.

"Why did you do that?" I turned around to find Yoongi approaching me. 

I tilted my head, "What do you mean?"

"You let me get the last one, I saw it in your eyes, why?"  He asked curiously.

I didn't want to tell him I got distracted because of how hot he was, instead I said, "I figured you wanted to win." Apparently he didn't like my answer.

"Coward." Was all he said before pushing past me forcefully.

"Geez..." I sighed, "Why are the hot ones always jerks?" I quickly covered my mouth and looked to see if he heard, but he just continued to walk and I took that as a no.

I headed for my locker to grab my things for gym; a shirt and some shorts that were knee length. I know what you're thinking, girls don't where that kind of stuff, but I do and I'm a girl so girls do wear that kind of stuff.  I'm what you would call a tomboy and a nerd...I know, great titles. But don't forget, I'm also crazy, so that's three things.

  I hope we don't have to run laps... I thought as I entered the gym where I found a bunch of kids sitting on the bleachers, I walked over and sat down. Again everyone was talking and I longed for V and Hoseok. The odds of what happened next is close to zero...

"Jen!" My head shot up to find Hoseok running toward me, a huge smile plastered across his face.

"Hoseok!" I said just as happily, he sat down beside me and put an arm over my shoulder. 

"You already have a girlfriend?" I turned to the person who was with Hoseok (who I didn't notice until now), he was Asian as well but looked very different. He was shorter, maybe my height (poor guy), but did his biceps make up for it. He had childish facial features but it matched him well. After a few seconds, what he said channeled through my brain.

"Noooo." I said shaking my head.

The boy smirked, which took me off guard, "I knew you couldn't land a girl that fast." He said to Hoseok as he took a seat next to me. "I'm Jimin!" He said and I turned to him and smiled.

"I'm Jen, nice to meet you." I replied and he grinned wider, causing his eyes to become barely visible (adorable!).  

"Are you new? I haven't seen you before." He asked, and when I was about to answer, Hoseok did for me.

"This is her first day!" He said and then glared at Jimin, "And just for your information, Jenny's a girl and I picked her up so it does count!" 

Jimin and I scoffed at the same time, "I wouldn't say you picked me up." I said in defense.

Hoseok rolled his eyes, "Whatever you say, pumpkin!" He said playfully squeezing my cheek with the hand that was draped across my shoulder. 

"Ah! stop!" I whined untangling myself from his grip and sliding closer to Jimin, which was not a good idea. Jimin wrapped his muscular arms around my waist and pulled me even further away from Hoseok.

"I'll protect you!" He said making his voice deeper and squeezed me tighter.  I laughed at his attempt of a manly tone, after a few seconds of wondering why I was laughing he set me back down next to Hoseok.

"Oh! I forgot!" I started, "I met your friend Taehyung, in Biology class earlier...he was...different.." I told him.

"Tell me about it!" Said Jimin, and I glanced back at him and saw him roll his eyes and I started to giggle. 

"I know! I was surprised when he said he had six good friends... no offense." I said holding my hands up.

Hoseok nodded and said, "Yeah, Jimin and I are two of the six. The others are Seokjin, Namjoon, Jungkook, and Yoongi." My ears perked up at the mentioning of Yoongi.

"Yoongi?" I asked shocked.

"Yeah he's a senior like you and Hoseok, he should have grad-" Jimin started but I cut him off.

"Oh, I know him. Met him in accelerated English, I went against him in a vocab match."

"Did you win?" Jimin asked.

I shook my head, "No, but I almost did."

"Wait, I thought the people with the highest averages do that. What was your average?" Hoseok asked.

"Mine was 99.9."

"Whoa! Yoongi's was 100! You almost tied with him!" Jimin said in shock which made pride spread though me. 

"He must of been pissed, that you were so close to him!" Hoseok chuckled. 

"He did...call me a coward..." I said softly.

"Seems like him, he's a poor sport, just hates to loose." Jimin said and before I could reply I was startled by a deep voice.

"Okay class! Silence please!" Boomed the gym teacher, and you might think he was tall and wide shouldered but he was the opposite. He looked about five six, I had to cover my mouth to stop myself from laughing. "Since it is your first day, I was going to let you off with some four square. But then I realized I don't care what you think or want, so I decided that we are going to play some dodgeball!" Everyone groaned, including me. "Do you want to do laps?" 

Everyone: "NO!"

"That's what I thought, now go change!" He screeched and I sprinted to the girl's locker room and was back and changed, within two minutes.

Mr. Morgan split us up, Jimin and I were on the same team and Hoseok was our opponent. "Nice shorts, I think they're longer than mine." Jimin joked and I scowled at him as the game was starting. 

"Your faces will be in the dirt after I'm done with you!" Hoseok screamed across the gym to us. 

"What dirt you idiot?!" I yelled back and Jimin started laughing beside me. Mr. Morgan blew the whistle and the game had begun. 

I scrambled across the floor for a ball and once there was one within my grasp, I threw it at Hoseok and surprisingly hit him right in the face...

"Oh my god woman! You almost gave me a concussion!"  Hoseok yelled on our way to lunch with Jimin and Taehyung who, when he saw me with the two Asians , eagerly ran to stroll along side us.  

"Oh come on, I didn't throw that hard!" I said as we entered through the cafeteria doors.  

"She probably didn't, your just weak!" Said Jimin.  

I followed them to the lunch line for food as they continued to bicker and I just watched them silently, hoping that they will become my close friends. I had never really been close to someone other than family, I know, sad. After we had our trays filled with food Taehyung led us to a table near, but not quite in, the corner of the room that already had two people sitting there.

Before I sat down, Taehyung introduced them to me,  "This-" he said gesturing to a very tall lanky figure (who was writing very fast on a sheet of paper)-"is Namjoon. And this-"my eyes grew big with  slight anger as Taehyung pointed at Yoongi "is Yoongi."  Yoongi stared at me with a blank face and looked down at his plate of food again.  Taehyung looked at me as I sat down next him and Hoseok, "Do you know  Jen?" He asked and I was about to answer with 'yes' but-

"No, I haven't." Yoongi replied to which I scoffed but let it slide as I looked at Namjoon scribbling word after word on the piece of paper. 

"Apparently he's got an idea." Hoseok said in my ear. 

I turned to him, "What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, Namjoon is a song writer, so is Yoongi, but when he gets an idea for a song he has to keep writing or he'll forget it."  

"Really?!" I asked interested. 

"Yeah, together they can make some pretty amazing lyrics." Hoseok said. 

I started to think about the songs they could had written and how they wrote them and asked in a lower voice, so only Hoseok could hear, "What does Yoongi do when he gets an idea?" 

"You should learn to whisper before you start talking about others." My head shot up and my eyes met a pair of dark brown ones. 

"I didn't mean it like-" I started.

"Not a very good first impression." Yoongi retorted again, reminding me of Mrs. Porter.

"You should learn to hold your tongue." I heard a deep voice say and I glanced at Namjoon who stopped writing and was looking at Yoongi. They glared at each other for a few seconds, as if having a stare down, and soon Yoongi stood and walked away.  "I'm sorry about him, he doesn't like meeting new people." Namjoon said looking at me and I had a chance to take in his appearance. He had a slightly rounded face, thick lips and dimples which gave him a childish touch. 

I shook my head and forced a smile, "It's fine. I met him in my English class, and even then he didn't seem to welcoming..." I said.

"Yeah! Did you hear? She got a 99.9 for her average, almost beat Yoongi."  Jimin said to Namjoon and Taehyung. 

"Really?" Asked Taehyung. I nodded and he smiled. "I knew something like this would happen..." He muttered, to which only I heard. 

I looked at Namjoon to see him smirking, "Jen is it? I look forward to getting to know you." 

I smiled for real this time, "And I look forward to getting to know you too." I said and he nodded then went back to his lyrics. 

I glanced at my food and then up to Hoseok, "What is this?" 

He shrugged as he stuffed a mouthful of some sort of noodles and corn into his mouth and chewed. "Not bad...I guess." He said. 

And suddenly something hit me as I saw the way he was holding his fork, it was just how Jolene held one. "Jolene!" 

"Who?" Asked Taehyung looking at me furrowing his eyebrows. 

"My sister!" I said frantically, becoming nervous. 

"You have a sister?" Asked Jimin, I nodded.

"Does she look kinda like you?" Asked Hoseok looking at something behind me.

I rolled my eyes, "Well duh!" 

"Is that her?" Hoseok asked pointing to a junior looking around helplessly. 

"Yes!" I shot out of my chair and rushed to her. "Jolene!" I called as I neared her.

"Jen! I was looking for you! I didn't know where to sit..." My sister said quietly and with helpless puppy-dog eyes. 

"I'm sorry!" I breathed leading her over to where the boys were, "I forgot!" She set down her tray next to me and Taehyung, who looked at her with surprise as he slid one chair over. 

Jolene sat down and looked at all the faces, Namjoon's scalp, and then back at me. 

"Oh! This is Hoseok, Namjoon, Jimin, and Taehyung." I said pointing at each one.  

She smiled. "Nice to meet you guys, I'm Jolene.  But you can call me Joe!" She said happily. 

"I'm Jimin, as you know, and I'm also a junior." Jimin said proudly. 

"Me too," Taehyung began, "and I think you were in my math class last period..." Taehyung said to Jolene. 

 I watched her face light up in recognition.  "Yeah! I remember! You sat three seats away from me."  She said nodding matter-of-factly. 

He smiled, "Yeah! So..." I removed myself from their conversation and glanced at Namjoon, Hoseok and Jimin who were now talking about cookies...I think, then I turned to look around the room for Yoongi.

He seemed so angry and it didn't make me feel great that I was the cause of it.  So I told the boys and Jolene that I wasn't hungry, that I was going to go and talk with the principal about my schedule change. They said good bye and I headed out the doors in search of Yoongi to apologize for what I did.  As I walked through the halls I realized I had know idea where I was going or where I would find Yoongi.  Then it hit me, Yoongi seemed like a library kind-a-guy so I asked someone to tell me which direction it was in and sent off on my quest! 

 But as I was nearing the library I heard something coming from a room and was curious, so I moved closer to the the door and pressed my ear up against it.  I gasped when I heard music and someone rapping.  I listened as the person on the other side spat out words, no not words, not even lyrics.  I couldn't even describe it, but something about it just made me go into a trance, the way they said each phrase vehemently, the way their voice was the only thing I could hear.  How this person made me feel such an emotion I don't know, all I knew was that I could stand there forever, listening to the muffled voice through the door that somehow I could hear perfectly.  After a few more minutes the music stopped.  The voice stopped.  It became very quiet and I heard shuffling on the other side of the door, it didn't even occur to me that the person inside was going to have come out.  Suddenly I felt myself falling as the door was swung open, I didn't have time to react so I closed my eyes and prepared myself for contact with the floor.  But it never came. 

I landed on another person who, because of me, fell on the ground with me right on top of them I gave a small yelp as we hit the ground.  My eyes were still shut and I grabbed the person's shirt tightly with my fists as if I was going to fall again.  

"GET OFF ME!" My eyes shot open and I looked down at Yoongi. I stared at his face, in shock, that was merely a few inches away from mine.

I suppose that bad feeling in my gut wasn't as ludicrous as I was hoping it'd be...