chapter 27

Love & Valor

9:30 pm

Han river

 

Sukjin face himself toward the Han river, enjoying the magnificent view of Seoul city across the river. He feels satisfied at the view. This is what he’s trying to protect, the harmony of his country. He loves his country so much he rather dies protecting it, making sure it’s away from any harm or danger. Sukjin shiver a little from the cold night breeze that hitting his body. He rubs his palm together and blow into his hand while trying to withstand the cold. He then brings his hand into his jacket’s, protecting it from the cold wind. “it’s almost end of autumn now” sukjin thought to himself, realizing tonight coldness is not like the usual. He extends his neck to look up, only to see the bottom of the Han river bridge. Sukjin sigh to himself. He’s been waiting under this bridge, in the dark for almost an hour now, but still there not even a single sign that the person he’s waiting for is going to show up. Sukjin curse under his heavy breath. If it’s up to him, he would just leave. But he knows though, this meeting is important. Sukjin know it is so unlike him to call out of the blue, unless it is really important. Besides, after years knowing him, Sukjin know he’s probably watching him right now, observing his every move, waiting for the right moment to make an approach to him, so he just waits patiently for him, even if the long wait bore the crap out of him. Tired of waiting and being in the cold wind, Sukjin pull out a cigarette from his left pocket, ready to lighten the cigarette to warm his body.

“that’s not good for your health…”

A familiar voice suddenly greets Sukjin, stopping his intention to fire up the cigarette. He looks at the man who’s approaching him. He is in all black. Black jacket, black jeans and a black snapback on his head. “you’re late” the man said to sukjin. Sukjin chuckle to himself. His guess was right. The man has been observing his every move all this while. “why do you want to see me gary-ah?” Sukjin ask gary, wanting to know the reason behind this sudden secret meet. Gary ignore his superior question to him. “are you alone?” Gary ask Sukjin in slightly serious tone, wanting to know if Sukjin really did follow his instruction to come alone. “you don’t trust me?” Sukjin challenge him back. Gary smirk at him “you know the rule. I can only trust you as much as you trust me, not more than that”. Sukjin smirk at gary back, knowing exactly what gary said is the truth. In this field of work, they have to be careful in choosing who to trust. Seeing that gary still demanding for an answer, Sukjin speak up again “you observed me for a while right, so you should know if I’m alone or not”. “good” gary reply to his superior shortly, feeling satisfied with his Q&A. He smiles at Sukjin. It’s always been like this, every time two agent meet, they will challenge each other with series of question to know if either one of them is lying or not, to be trusted or not.

 

The duo land on the bench facing the Han river. Both silent for a while as their eye captured the beautiful view of the river. “it’s nice right?” gary suddenly speak up after a while, breaking the silent air. Sukjin look at him with his questionable gaze. Gary look at him back and smile while continuing his sentence “to have this view everyday” gary thumb point to the magnificent view in front of them, gesturing to what he’s talking about. Sukjin give him a weak smile. He knows what the younger man has in mind. He’s sorry for him but he can’t allow him to come back. Things will get complicated if he does. “why are you here gary-ah? you know your order. You can’t be here” Sukjin try to change the topic. He speaks slowly to gary, not wanting to offend his friend. “I know my order hyung. I know what my job is. You don’t have to worry about me. I’m here with a reason. But what about you, what about your job?” Gary ask Sukjin in stern voice, shocking the older man with his question. “what are you talking about gary-ah? what do mean my job? What about it?” Sukjin ask gary, feeling confuse with the sudden question from the younger man. Gary sigh at him. He brings his hand into his jacket, finding something inside the pocket. He takes out few piece of papers and hand in to Sukjin, for him to have good look at them. Sukjin stares at the papers in front of him. It’s actually pictures, pictures of missile, rocket launchers and few tanks taken from far. “what’s the meaning of this?” Sukjin ask gary again, still not getting the message what the younger man trying to tell him. “Look at the missile again. Look at the symbol. What do you see?” gary told on Sukjin again. The older man fixes his gaze into the picture again, trying to look deeper into the pictures. “BATS?” Sukjin exclaimed, finally able to see what gary has been trying to show him. “yes. BATS. This are taken two weeks ago, near the border. Those missiles are pointing to our city, including Seoul. North Korea can launch the missiles to us anytime they want. And you know where would they target first? Here. Seoul” Sukjin nod understanding to Gary’s word. Sukjin begin to think in his mind, of his next move, next plan. He need to put a stop in this threat. “But that’s not the real question hyung?” Sukjin frown at gary sudden word. Gary look at Sukjin, fixing his gaze at him. “my question to you hyung, how can the BATS manage to deliver their weapon into North. The last time I checked, we happened to manage to stop all of their delivery. Heck, we even manage to destroy their ship. What happen now? What did you do all this while?!!” Gary speak up to the older man, slightly rising his voice to him. He’s little angry at him. He feels like Sukjin is not doing his best to stop their enemy. He’s the director of NIS in Seoul, the main branch in this country. Yet he let this happen under his nose. “gary-ah…you know we try our best to stop them. Gil and the rest of the team are trying their best. But recently, many of the mission failed. They know what we’re planning for.” Sukjin try to explain the hard situation he currently facing to gary. “you send me away because you think it will be the best choice to protect this country, to stop those bastard. Why happen now. We have missiles pointing to our cities and ready to be launched. What are we even doing now. Heck we can’t even find the bastard that kill Choiza!!!” Gary exhale a heavy sigh. He’s frustrated of what’s going on. Before this, when he was here in Seoul, everything seems to in control. He had friends that he can count on, the missions against BATS seems to go well, except for Choiza death, he had a girlfriend that he loves so much, that has her own way to make him happy. Everything seems to be perfect. But now everything seems to mess up, his country that he swore to protect is in danger, and he can’t go back to the girlfriend that he misses so much. He loses the woman he loves. Sukjin know what gary’s thinking. He brings his hand to tap on his shoulder, to calm him down. “it’s been months hyung. Things become worsen. I don’t know what to do anymore”. “I know gary-ah, I know” Sukjin try to talk to gary, telling him he understands what’s in the younger man’s mind. Gary sigh. He gets up from the bench and speak up to Sukjin “activates the anti-missile system. It will intercept the missiles. It should able to protect some of the cities. Just hope they won’t launch the missile” with that word, gary begin to walk away. He looks like he’s in despair. “gary…” Sukjin call on the younger man to stop him for a while. “I know you miss her gary-ah. I know you love her. But if you really do love her, you’ll let her go gary-ah. She’s not fit in this kind of life” gary exhale a heavy sigh upon hearing those word. “you don’t have to worry about me. I know my order” with that gary just walk away. “I’m really sorry gary-ah” Sukjin thought to himself as he sees gary disappear into the dark night.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

11:00 pm

Mongae apartment

 

“kumawo oppa for the dinner. I had fun today” jihyo said to jongkook happily as she removes the sit belt that engulfing her petite body, ready to get off from jongkook’s car. They had comeback from enjoying their lovely dinner. Jongkook brought jihyo to a well-known restaurant. The restaurant jihyo has been longing for a while now. Jongkook thought of threating her something special. He can’t help from smiling happily as he saw her excitedly entered the restaurant. Initially, jongkook thought of confessing to her, to tell her how he feels about her. But he chickened out again. He didn’t know why can’t he find courage to tell the woman he loves his feeling. It’s been years already.

 

“I’ll see you later oppa. Thanks again for the dinner. Drive safely okay” jihyo bid her goodbye to him and shut the passenger door. She begins to walk into her apartment. Seeing jihyo about to enter her building, jongkook become restless. “it’s now or never jongkook-ah” jongkook thought to himself. He decides, this is the moment. He can’t wait any longer. He immediately gets off his car and try to catch her. “jihyo-ah!!!” jongkook yell out her name, calling her desperately. Jihyo halt her steps and look at jongkook who’s running desperately toward her. As soon as he reaches her, jongkook holds onto jihyo’s hand. Jihyo look at him with her signature mong look, not knowing the reason why suddenly jongkook calls on her. “are you okay oppa?” jihyo ask jongkook, still confuse by his sudden action. She can see jongkook breathing heavily from the short run to catch up on her. After a while, jongkook look at her deep in the eyes. Jihyo look at him too, waiting for him to speak up. “I love you...”. “neh?” jihyo ask in shock, with her eyes open wide, her heart pounding hard nonstop. She tries to comprehend what she just heard “what did you say oppa?” she asks nervously. “I love you…I love you jihyo-ah. I’ve always love you. Ever since the first time I saw you, I already fall in love with jihyo-ah”. Jihyo loss of words. She did not know what to say. She did not expect to hear this from him. She swallows on her saliva hard, trying to find a right word to reply to him back “oppa…”. “I know it’s stupid of me to wait this long to tell you jihyo-ah. And I know it’s stupid of me to let you go into another guy. Trust me jihyo, I’ve been trying to ignore this feeling for years. But the more I try to get rid of it, the more I fall for you. I love you jihyo. I really do”. Jongkook hold into jihyo hand tightly as he pours out his feeling to her. Jihyo can feels his hand sweating. She can tell how nervous he is now. She now how sincere jongkook is to her. Of course she knows that. She knows jongkook really care about her. But she never thought he loves her though.  “oppa…you know I’m with someone else now. You know how much I love him”. jihyo try to explain to jongkook carefully, not wanting to hurt his feeling, that’s the last thing she want to do to him. “but he’s not here anymore jihyo. He’s never here anymore. And he’s not coming back. You have to accept that he’s not coming back”. “Oppa!!!” jihyo yells at jongkook, feeling angry at his remark about gary. She doesn’t want to hear that. She doesn’t need to hear that. “I’m sorry if my words hurt your feeling jihyo-ah. But you need to know that. You need to know that he’s not with you anymore. But I’m jihyo. I’m here with right now. Look at me instead of waiting for him. Please, for once, look at me”. Jihyo silent herself not knowing how to reply to jongkook. Her eyes begin to watery. She feels trap now. She didn’t know what to do. She didn’t want betray her love for gary, but she herself know what jongkook said might be true. Jihyo lost of words, not knowing what to say. Seeing no respond from jihyo. Jongkook bring herself to hug jihyo. He embraces her petite body in her arm. “I’m here jihyo-ah. Just be with me…please” he rubs her back slowly trying to calm her down, as he feels she begin sobbing hard. Jihyo didn’t know why she’s crying. All she knows is, she’s trap in between two. To either turn jongkook down or betraying her love for gary. After a long hug, jongkook pushes her a little to look at her. He can see she’s tearing. She’s crying hard. She’s sobbing hard. “I love you songjihyo. I’ve always love you…please be with me” with that, he brings his lips to seal on her completely, showing her how much he loves her.

Not too far from where there are, in dark, a shadow had been looking at them for a while now.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Gary feels a hard prick into his chest as he saw the couple kissing. He feels suffocated. He feels his chest getting heavy. He feels like fainting. His heart broken into pieces. Despite of the reminder from sukjin earlier, he went to jihyo’s place. He doesn’t care. He need to see her. But he never planned to meet her though. No, he just wants to see her, from far, because he misses her. He always has been missing her. Not wanting to be seen, he hides himself in the dark, while looking at the building, waiting and hoping to see at least a glimpse of her, to cure his missing feeling for her. Gary saw jihyo get off jongkook’s car and about to enter her building. He can’t help from smiling as he saw his beautiful angel walk toward the building. But what come next really crush him into pieces. He knows it’s going to happen eventually, but to see it with his own eye really broke his heart. He saw jihyo and jongkook talking for a while, and the next thing he know, he saw them kissing. Gary feels his heart broken. He’s having palpitation. He brings his hand to his chest to ease his broken heart. His eyes begin to watery. “It’s okay gary-ah. It’s for the best. Be happy jihyo-ah. Goodbye my love” gary thought to himself and begin to disappear into dark.

 

To be continue…

 

 

Hi guys…long time no see…hope you enjoy this chapter…don’t be too mad at me though…this story is not over and still has a long way to go…