chapter 26

Love & Valor

 

 

One month after the short reunion

J café, Seoul

 

Byul take a sip from her drink as she glances at her wrist, looking at the time. It’s been twenty minutes since she been in the café. She’s waiting for her friends. She tries to message her, asking where she is. But there is no reply from her. “she must be driving” byul thought to herself. Feeling bored with the waiting, she looks at the menu, trying to kill time. Her saliva almost drools as she looks at the deliciously looking cake. She calls on the waiter to make her order. She decides on a slice of blueberry cheese cake. The waiter smile at Byul as she left table after taking the order. Byul smile at her back. Just then, the door of the café opened from outside. Jihyo rush herself into the café, looking for her friend. “Byul…mianhe…I got stuck with the traffic…jinja mianhe…” jihyo gasp in between her heavy breath as she takes a seat in front of Byul. She taps her heaving chest repeatedly as she tries to catch the breaths. “kwenchana…I understand…” byul said to jihyo as she passes her glass of orange juice, asking for jihyo to take a sip of her drink. Jihyo gladly accept her kind gesture. After a while, jihyo begin to calm down. She’s no longer breathing heavily. Feeling calm, she decides on ordering a drink for herself, a mango juice.

 

“unnie, can I ask you something?” Byul speak up as she took a bite of her sweet blueberry cheese cake. “hmm…” jihyo murmurs, waiting for Byul to continue. “Is it true you saw gary oppa?”. “neh?” jihyo ask, a little shock. She never thought Byul would know about it. She didn’t tell anyone. Only those who were with the trip would know. The military had make them promised not to tell anyone of what happened during that trip, afraid that the secret mission known to the open. Jihyo readily agree to deal, hoping that if everything goes right, Gary might able to come home to her again. “unnie!..” Byul call on jihyo again, flicking her finger in front of her unnie eyes as she saw jihyo loss to her own thought, startling jihyo. “neh byul…what did you just say?” jihyo ask as she draw her attention back to the person sitting in front of her. Byul shook her head disbelief “she really lost herself with every mention of that man” byul thought to herself, sighing at thought along the way. “I was asking…did you really meet gary oppa when you’re in the trip last month?”. Jihyo bring her finger to her lip, signalling Byul to keep it low, not wanting anyone to hear what they’re going to talk about. “Shh…how do you know about this Byul-ah?” jihyo ask in her whisper. “Kwangsoo told Haha oppa and me…wae unnie…are we not supposed to know about this?” Byul asks confused, not really understanding what's going on. “aish this pabo leekwangsoo…” Byul looks at jihyo as she saw the older woman hisses. “we’re not supposed to talk about this Byul-ah…those things are very secret…I don’t know what it really is…but all I know it is not something we can just talk openly” Byul noods understanding upon hearing jihyo’s words. “but unnie…are you okay. What I mean is, are you okay after seeing him?” Byul asks jihyo. She’s concern about her unnie. As soon as she heard about the sudden reunion, she’s worried if jihyo not taking it well, for being separated again from the man she loves. She’s worried if jihyo lost herself to crying days and night again. Jihyo knows that of Byul. She knows her dongsaeng is worry about her. She gives her a weak smile, telling the younger lady she’s okay “don’t worry byul-ah…I’m fine”. “are sure unnie?” Byul ask again, wanting to confirm again. Jihyo let out a chuckle “neh…don’t worry” jihyo said firmly. “I know you might think I’m crazy…but I know gary oppa will come back. And all I have to do is wait for him patiently. Besides, he promised me he will come back” jihyo said referring to the promise gary make to her before she hops on to the chopper, to be seperated again. “unnie…do you really believe that?” Byul asks in worried, worried if jihyo put too much hope in it. She knows what really happened. Kwangsoo tell her and her husband about how hard gary must had feels, to make such promise he himself doesn’t know he can fulfil or not. She’s not blaiming gary though. She knows gary has no choice. He has to do it to calm jihyo down at the moment, to make her unnie strong. She knows how much they love each other, and willing to do anything for the person they love. Yet to really believe in such promise is different story though. “I know what you're thinking Byul…” jihyo said as she knows what’s in the younger lady mind. She knows it too well. “I know you think that the promise seems impossible, that he might not even come back at all. But I trust him Byul, like you always trust Haha oppa. So I choose to trust him, to wait for him, because I love him Byul, I love him so much”. Byul reaches out for jihyo’s hand. Holding it tightly, wanting to show her unnie that she’s there for her. “unnie, I’m sorry for if my word before hurt you. It just, I’m worry about you. But I want you to know, that I’m here for you unnie. I’ll always by your side, supporting you”. “kumawo Byul-ah” jihyo said smiling to Byul, feeling grateful at her dongsaeng.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jongkook apartment

 

Jongkook sigh to himself while lying lazily on his bed. He’s at home, spending his weekend alone. His eyes fixed to his phone, admiring the beautiful picture of songjihyo from his gallery. Unable to express his feeling to the woman he loves, he let his longing feeling for her to the pictures of her, which was captured by him ever since they were in college. Those beautiful photos are the only thing that can numb his pain, from keeping his feeling from her. Usually it would work. Admiring the pictures of her usually more than enough to keep his heart sane. But lately, it’s not been working anymore. The more he looks at the picture of jihyo, the more he misses her. He’s going crazy. Nothing work anymore, to take his mind of her. Jongkook knows the reason though. He knows why he can’t stop thinking about her. It’s because he loves her. He loves her so much he can’t keep it to himself anymore. He loves her so much he feels like he has to do it. He has to tell her. He need to tell her how he feels. Jongkook sigh at his own thought. “kumane jongkook-ah…she’s in love with another man, a good man”. His sane mind tries to wake him up from the thought of betraying his dongsaeng. But other side of him beg the differ though “but he’s not here. He’s never here anymore. And he trusted me to take care of her. He wants me to make her happy right. I promised him I’ll make sure his happy”. Jongkook role himself on the bed, sighing by himself along the way. He’s confused, not knowing what to do. “stop it jongkook-ah…jihyo is still in love with him, and she’s still waiting for him” another side of him try to be sane again. Not wanting to betray the sane thought, jongkook get himself out of the bedroom. He heads himself to the kitchen, for a glass of water, to clear his mind. He gulps the water in one shot, swallowing it heart. “but who knows if gary really going to come back. I can’t let jihyo keep on waiting for him when even gary himself isn’t sure if going to come back again” the little devil inside of him whisper to his heart again.

“please son, fight for your love…”

Jongkook recall the word his mother used to say to him. He’s confused, not knowing what to do. He walks himself to the living room and land himself on the sofa.  He looks at his phone again. Unknowingly, his finger is moving searching for a name. His finger hover over the call button. Jongkook hesitates of what to do. Not sure his next step will be a right move, a right thing to do. “ah, whatever…” he said to himself wanting to get over with this. His finger land on the green call button, followed by a ring tone. Jongkook wait patiently for the receiver end to pick up. The wait feels so long. Too long that he feels like given up. Feeling like the person isn’t going to pick up, jongkook decides to just end the call “maybe it’s not meant to be” jongkook think to himself, with a broken heart and crushed soul. Just as his finger about to land on the red button, “hello oppa?” a soft voice greets him. Hearing her lovely voice, his lips curves upward without he even relies. “jihyo-ah…what are you doing now?”. “me? I’m hanging out with Byul now. Wae oppa?” the other end of the call speaks to him. Jongkook inhale a deep breath, trying to compose himself. “oppa, are you still there?” jihyo voice calls on him, waking him up from his long thought. He didn’t rely he’s been quiet for too long. “ah, sorry. Are you free tonight? Would you like to have dinner with me tonigh?” jongkook ask while praying in his heart, hoping for an encouraging answer. “umm…I think I’m free. Okay, let’s have dinner together tonight” jihyo said cheerfully to him. Jongkook chuckle at her, knowing how miuch she loves foods. “okay. I’ll peak you tonight. See you later jihyo-ah”. Jongkook end the call with a victory smile on his face. He then walks himself to the balcony for a fresh air. He admires the view of Seoul from his apartment. “This is it. I’ve waited long enough for this I can’t wait for it anymore. Tonight is the night” jongkook thought to himself, with his determine face on him.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sukjin House…

 

Sukjin is enjoying his evening tea, with his wife at the living room. It’s how he usually spends his weekend, by spending time with the family he loves more than anything in the world. The family that he would swear to protect. He glances at the boy whose sitting with his novel. HyunWoo is fourteen years old now. Too focus with the novel, the boy has been neglecting his cup of tea for too long it’s get cold now. Sukjin chuckle at his son, amused by him. This family has always been the stars that shining his life. He would never change it for the world. The only thing he regret is taking too long before he finally decided to settle down. Have he known how great it would be, he would have done it sooner. But he has no choice though. It’s not like he’s not thinking about settling down. It’s because he has so much to do at that time. His job of protecting his country was his priority. He’s giving himself to something bigger, his country. Later on, when he was older, he finally manages to think about himself, to get married and start a family. Maybe he’s taking too long of time before settling in, but for Sukjin, it better late than never. And he’s thankful for what he has now, a loving family.

Ring-ring…

The ring tone of his phone wakes sukjin up from his thought. He hisses a little, feeling annoyed to be disturbed at his leisure time with his family. SuJung notice that. She chuckles at her husband. He knows how much her husband hates to be disturbed during the weekend. For him, weekend is only about family. SuJung reaches for the phone and hand it to Sukjin. Sukjin look at caller ID. It’s an unknown number. He frowns. Sukjin swipe his finger on the phone to accept the call. “hello?” sukjin call out wanting to know who’s calling. “it’s me” a voice greets him. Sukjin was about to open his mouth to greet the person back when he cut him off “han river bridge, tonight…come alone” the person said immediately and hang up the phone. Sukjin frown as he receives the instruction. His wife notices that. “is everything okay oppa?” She asks him in concern. “yeah…just a wrong number” sukjin just simply stated not wanting to tell more. His mind is wondering wild. Why would the person suddenly ask for a meet. It’s been a while.

 

To be continue…

 

 

 

Hi guys, sorry for the lack of update. Feels a little guilty for let this story hanging. But I have no choice though. Final exam is in a week. Yet I still try to find some time to write this chapter little by little. Hope you enjoy this chapter though…